Thread: Freezing in refrigerator

Freezing in refrigerator

I keep bottles of flavored carbonated water in my fridge. It is set at about half power. The water is cold but not unpleasantly so.
    Except one bottle froze.
    How can one bottle be much colder than its neighbors?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Same flavor? Carbonation? Dissolved salts? Cap loose? Seating in the cold air stream?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I don't suppose you have an actual thermometer in your fridge? "Half power" doesn't really help.
    In a sub-zero environment, it's not unusual for one undisturbed container of water to freeze completely before others form any ice at all--it depends on the presence of nucleation centres. But that would imply your fridge was running freakishly cold.

Do you have ice forming on the rear interior wall of the fridge? That's common enough if there's no partition plate between the evaporator and the compartment. If one of your bottles was in contact with an ice-forming rear wall, while the others were not, then I guess it could eventually cool to freezing point by conduction.

Grant Hutchison

In the first few days after our new refrigerator was delivered I noticed that items placed next to the ice dispenser would freeze. The ice maker and dispenser is a unit separate from the freezer and located high in the fridge, with ice delivered through the fridge door. I had to dial down the freezer a bit and learned what items worked best when stored in that particular location (or items that I didn't mind if they froze a bit).

No ice inside. Same flavors. No thermometer.
    Maybe I will just have to wonder...
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Brrrr.

Refrigerators are not uniformlycold. Try the same location with other bottles. Or a good thermometer.

Maybe that bottle was in the air stream?

Refrigerators work by diverting some of the cold air from the freezer into the fridge, enough to maintain whatever the fridge temperature is set to. Naturally, this air is going to be colder than the overall fridge temp.

You'll probably see an air duct or fan near where you had the bottle that froze placed. If so, move the bottles to another spot and they should fare better.

You might have an air-circulation issue; is your fridge backed to the roof? Are items pressed against the wall of the fridge, thereby preventing air-flow? Also, is your fan working?