Page 446 of 446 FirstFirst ... 346396436444445446
Results 13,351 to 13,379 of 13379

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    PIncidentally, another funny incident when dealing with a typewriter centric student in my Lotus class: At one point I said to the class, “Now, press the down arrow key.” I could see everyone do it but one, who was obviously hunting around the keyboard as she had been constantly, and she said, “Where is the De Niro key?”

I assume when you press that key it says "Are you pressing me? Are You Pressing Me!?!"
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Maybe the dinero key?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

I assume when you press that key it says "Are you pressing me? Are You Pressing Me!?!"
    Heh! I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Maybe the dinero key?
    Thatís certainly possible. I might have misunderstood her as she did me and it would sound very similar. It has been about thirty years, I only remember it at all because it stood out and was funny.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I learned how to type far later than most of you thus far--well, I'm younger--but I did so on an enormous mechanical typewriter that my older sister had picked up at a yard sale that was, yes, old enough to not have the number one on it. It also stuck like crazy, which is probably part of why I still hit the keys so hard when I type to this day!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    … But touch typing was really handy at the university, as I would see a lot of CompSci students slowly doing the hunt ‘N peck. Good for report writing too.
    I had a friend in college who said he used the Biblical Method of typing. Seek and ye shall find.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I had a friend in college who said he used the Biblical Method of typing. Seek and ye shall find.
    My mother was a two finger typist, but still could do about 30 or 40 words a minute.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I didn't learn to type until my early thirties when the 'Typing Pool' was removed from the office and we became fuly computerised - around 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Mechanic View Post
    Someone saying "We are making good progress." Is there such a thing as bad progress?

Also, the expression "close proximity". Is there such a thing as distant proximity?
    As some fellow said, "if the opposite of pro is con, then the opposite of progress is ... Congress!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My mother was a two finger typist, but still could do about 30 or 40 words a minute.
    Way back when, after my first 'real job' here ended, I made part of my job search through an employment agency. A typing test was part of their process. I must've been having a good day 'in the zone' because I clocked in at something like 85 or 87 wpm, adjusted for errors. I've never been that fast before or since.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That this year a conference I would like to go to is doing online for an obvious reason, but you have to donate by using a credit card to view it and I don't have a credit card.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That this year a conference I would like to go to is doing online for an obvious reason, but you have to donate by using a credit card to view it and I don't have a credit card.
    Wouldn't a Visa/MC gift card work?
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Wouldn't a Visa/MC gift card work?
    Probably but I just go without, I have other stuff to do.

It's 10:30 at night and I am craving a Tim Hortons coffee. Of course, there are no Tim Hortons close by open at this hour.
    Solfe

Do they serve Tim's coffee at Burger King since they've merged?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It's 10:30 at night and I am craving a Tim Hortons coffee. Of course, there are no Tim Hortons close by open at this hour.
    Is that a general or specific thing? When I was a medical student in Northwestern Ontario, lo these forty years ago, I'd sometimes miss meals and end up walking from the hospital to cram down something from a Tim Horton's across the road, just because it was the only place open at ungodly hours that I could reach before freezing to death in the street.
    My Canadian compatriots seemed to view these expeditions as a slightly edgy eccentricity, for reasons I never quite teased out of them. But then again, they viewed almost everything I did as a slightly edgy eccentricity.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Is that a general or specific thing? When I was a medical student in Northwestern Ontario, lo these forty years ago, I'd sometimes miss meals and end up walking from the hospital to cram down something from a Tim Horton's across the road, just because it was the only place open at ungodly hours that I could reach before freezing to death in the street.
    My Canadian compatriots seemed to view these expeditions as a slightly edgy eccentricity, for reasons I never quite teased out of them. But then again, they viewed almost everything I did as a slightly edgy eccentricity.

Grant Hutchison
    Uh-oh! You used an apostrophe in "Hortons." The RCMP will be after you shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Uh-oh! You used an apostrophe in "Hortons." The RCMP will be after you shortly!
    Let them come. I do it deliberately, French is not an official language in the UK, and it had an apostrophe in 1980.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Aug-04 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Completed writing my name!

But then again, they viewed almost everything I did as a slightly edgy eccentricity.

Grant Hutchison
    I've read your books. I think I can understand why they thought that.

The ones around here are open 24 hours last time I checked, I don't go to them much lately. Use to come in handy while working that the late shift at the call center.

Right now running out of ink in my pens and not planning on going into town until Friday when I will probably setup for another auction.
    Keep forgetting to call the barber for an appointment. Since the Pandemic he is only working form home and by appointment.

The ones around here are open 24 hours last time I checked.
    That's how it worked in Thunder Bay. Just me and two homeless guys at two in the morning.

Grant Hutchison

The two towns St Stephen and St Andrews could be very different. St Andrews is a tourist town and the only place open after I think 10 pm is Tims and the store is located at the very edge of the town, actually it is at a point of a V shaped highway, so late night is call center late night and overnight shift and RCMP. The other town has a couple of factories so I few more late night people but the Tims is located right in middle of town which can be a pain in the morning or where there is traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Do they serve Tim's coffee at Burger King since they've merged?
    Nope. And hope they never do. I have managed to get my A1C down by half despite the Tim Hortons Coffee (1 cream). A reason to venture into BK would totally undo me.

Grant Hutchison
    It's a very specific thing. I think it's the heavy cream they use. My wife's hospital has a Tim Hortons inside and she would rather starve than eat there. She is addicted to the iced tea, though. I think the food is ok, but I don't have it as an option every day. More like once a month for the food and only something small like soup or a bagel. More of treat rather than a meal choice for me.

For some strange reason, Tim Hortons coffee is unchanging as far as taste goes but they are forever changing the food. Items that were good get changed into something not so great, then eliminated from the menu entirely. It's like someone turned the TV show Heroes into a restaurant experience. Quality declines until no one cares that it's over.
    Solfe

The ones around here are open 24 hours last time I checked, I don't go to them much lately. Use to come in handy while working that the late shift at the call center.

Right now running out of ink in my pens and not planning on going into town until Friday when I will probably setup for another auction.
    Keep forgetting to call the barber for an appointment. Since the Pandemic he is only working form home and by appointment.
    All restaurants have cut back their hours. Almost all business that used be 24 hour are down to 6 am to midnight. Considering our blue laws limit bars to the hours of 8 am to 4 am, it's hard to get used to a regular store that isn't open 24 hours day. Before all of this, technically, bars didn't have to close between 4 am and 8 am, they just couldn't serve any more alcohol during those hours. When I was young and stupid, I used to order 2 pitchers of beer to get through the gap. I wasn't waiting for the bar to start serving at 8 am, I was waiting for the restaurant that served great philly cheese steaks to reopen at 8. I needed a proper breakfast before class.

I have this theory that people in Buffalo see TV shows about New York City and believe they are accurate portrayals of real life in the big Apple. Therefore, everything in Buffalo is somewhat amplified to outdo what we see on TV. Crazier, more frantic nightlife and a great park system are two redeeming quality that come from that. The crime, the drugs, not so much.

On yet another tangent, I don't really drink any more, but I do go out with my friends from work. They frequent a place that was known for serving minors back when I was in high school. I can't help but notice that all of the patrons in there now are still approximately my age. That's just weird.
    Solfe

All restaurants have cut back their hours. Almost all business that used be 24 hour are down to 6 am to midnight. Considering our blue laws limit bars to the hours of 8 am to 4 am, it's hard to get used to a regular store that isn't open 24 hours day. Before all of this, technically, bars didn't have to close between 4 am and 8 am, they just couldn't serve any more alcohol during those hours. When I was young and stupid, I used to order 2 pitchers of beer to get through the gap. I wasn't waiting for the bar to start serving at 8 am, I was waiting for the restaurant that served great philly cheese steaks to reopen at 8. I needed a proper breakfast before class.

I have this theory that people in Buffalo see TV shows about New York City and believe they are accurate portrayals of real life in the big Apple. Therefore, everything in Buffalo is somewhat amplified to outdo what we see on TV. Crazier, more frantic nightlife and a great park system are two redeeming quality that come from that. The crime, the drugs, not so much.

On yet another tangent, I don't really drink any more, but I do go out with my friends from work. They frequent a place that was known for serving minors back when I was in high school. I can't help but notice that all of the patrons in there now are still approximately my age. That's just weird.
    Hardly anything is open 24 hrs, earlier I forgot about the new gas stations they are open. In the cities grocery stores and pharmacies were open 24 hours years ago but I don't about now because I don't live in city any more. I don't what the hours are like lately, but this conversation reminded me that I haven't had a cup of coffee in days.

For some strange reason, Tim Hortons coffee is unchanging as far as taste goes but they are forever changing the food. Items that were good get changed into something not so great, then eliminated from the menu entirely. It's like someone turned the TV show Heroes into a restaurant experience. Quality declines until no one cares that it's over.
    I used to eat at Burger King once in a while in preference to McDonalds but they kept taking everything I liked off the menu. Sounds like a good merger!

Get 'em while they're young!

I got another flat tyre on my bicycle today. At least it went flat overnight while I was at home so no walking back dejectedly.

But this is the part that bugs me. After removing the tube and finding a little piece of fine wire poking through the tube, I repaired the puncture and refitted the wheel. The trouble was that the pressure gauge on my high pressure pump must have not been working properly. I was beginning to wonder why it was taking so long to pump up the tube when it basically exploded. It had ripped to shreds near the valve so I guess that I must have been pumping it up way past the 60 PSI limit. I hate Presta Valves!

(Oh, and my teeth as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I got another flat tyre on my bicycle today.
    I was having this problem on a regular basis. Fortunately, the area where I cycle is densely populated enough that I can usually walk the bicycle to a shop within 30 minutes or os and have it fixed.

The next-to-last repair lasted until I got home, and then part way through the next ride. Boom. Like a rifle shot. Echoing between the buildings lining the bicycle path. I suspect people might have called the police to report gunfire.

This time, I must have gotten a better shop, because rather than just replacing the tube, the mechanic noticed (although this might have been prompted by my complaining about how often this happens) some subtle damage on the tyre itself, and recommended that both tube and tyre be replaced.

That seemed to do it. Changing the tube was no longer a regular event. I went almost two weeks of riding a few hours every other day, before I found a screw embedded in the other tyre

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    I was having this problem on a regular basis. Fortunately, the area where I cycle is densely populated enough that I can usually walk the bicycle to a shop within 30 minutes or os and have it fixed.

The next-to-last repair lasted until I got home, and then part way through the next ride. Boom. Like a rifle shot. Echoing between the buildings lining the bicycle path. I suspect people might have called the police to report gunfire.

This time, I must have gotten a better shop, because rather than just replacing the tube, the mechanic noticed (although this might have been prompted by my complaining about how often this happens) some subtle damage on the tyre itself, and recommended that both tube and tyre be replaced.

That seemed to do it. Changing the tube was no longer a regular event. I went almost two weeks of riding a few hours every other day, before I found a screw embedded in the other tyre
    Even though we are in the suburbs there seems to be a bit of a gap between bicycle shops. On some of our rides we are easily an hours walk away from one. There are some many nasty little things waiting to leap in the tubes. Thorn Resistant tubes do at least to slow down the number of punctures - the exploded one was not one of these.

It is critical to ensure that the tube is not pinched between the rim and tire when replacing. Iíve noticed this most commonly near the valve. It makes for a nice pop shortly after you think youíve completed your repair and are on the road again.

On a related note, last year I came across two cyclists on the paved trail. One had a flat, and the other stopped to help. Both had spare tubes and necessary tools, but didnít know how to change the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa