Page 418 of 424 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420 ... LastLast
Results 12,511 to 12,540 of 12702

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

It is more like went to sleep really early woke up and can't sleep. I went to sleep just after supper around 6pm.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    It is more like went to sleep really early woke up and can't sleep. I went to sleep just after supper around 6pm.
    So, an insomnia thing. Poor sleep hygiene is an insomnia thing. Checking your cable TV at 03:00 is poor sleep hygiene thing.

Grant Hutchison

Sometimes, you can practice the best sleep hygiene in the world . . . and lie in bed awake, with the lights out, trying to think restful thoughts for two or three hours. Insomnia has many roots.

The morning I forgot to grab a coat on the way out the door is the morning I looked up and said, "Oh. That's snow."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

If I wake up rested that is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Sometimes, you can practice the best sleep hygiene in the world . . . and lie in bed awake, with the lights out, trying to think restful thoughts for two or three hours. Insomnia has many roots.
    For sure. But as someone who spent forty years having my sleep patterns buffeted by forces largely beyond my control, I can testify to how important it is to avoid the counterproductive stuff that it is within your power to avoid.

Grant Hutchison

My sleep patterns improved on 30 March 2016, the day I folded my business. So I'm thinking that the stress of the business played a role. I've had a few nights the last few months getting to sleep, and I think those were due to some obvious stresses, but a few times it helped to imagine myself back on the motorbiking holiday, in my tent, not a worry in the world. And the next thing I know, it is morning...

Right now done to 4 gigabytes on my hard drive and an just over 1 gigabyte on the smart phone, probably have to ration the picture taking for a while until I go thru the hard drive and clean out the useless stuff.

Heck, the most surefire method I have for falling asleep is to turn on a television program that I am very interested in watching.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Heck, the most surefire method I have for falling asleep is to turn on a television program that I am very interested in watching.
    I have had days when I looked forward to a show and sometimes I do a bunch of things to make sure I would have time and then as soon as the sure as the show starts I fall to sleep. Or watch most of a show marathon and get to the final episode and fall asleep.

Many years ago, I was in a relationship with someone who really, really wanted to show me a specific series. He inevitably chose to do this when I was already exhausted; I don't know how many times I saw the first five minutes.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I have had days when I looked forward to a show and sometimes I do a bunch of things to make sure I would have time and then as soon as the sure as the show starts I fall to sleep. Or watch most of a show marathon and get to the final episode and fall asleep.
    The hint is in the word "marathon". Marathons are, pretty much by definition, both boring and exhausting.

Grant Hutchison

Normally, I have no trouble going to sleep. In fact, my spouse says that I'm usually asleep before my head hits the pillow.

However, the one thing that will keep me awake is a television, even with the sound turned down. The flickering light does something to keep me from falling asleep.
    Fortunately, the only time this is a potential issue is when we rent a hotel room. We don't have a TV in our bedroom at home.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The hint is in the word "marathon". Marathons are, pretty much by definition, both boring and exhausting.

Grant Hutchison
    Well I did get my House for a night.
    With the new sleep schedule I find I wake up better and have more time during the day to do things. I am not the best person for getting started in the morning usually takes me a while get going. But this should be interesting today, early morning unload a truck of furniture, china and odds and ends, break, then auction and putting things back on the truck ending in the evening sometime 10-11 pm.

Which version of "Requiem" or other funeral music goes best with a severe man-cold?

Asking for a friend.
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Bill O'Brien must go.

Apologies for the rant.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

For reasons, my alarm clock ends up under the bed a lot. (A combination of a bent cord and not a lot of room on my desk.) Since I didn't have to use it to wake up for three weeks--between vacation and Graham's having to use his at a time that meant he was still home to wake me up--it just stayed there. When I pulled it out last night to set it, since Graham had to be at work at six this morning, I discovered it was not merely full of ants but also ant eggs. Graham got it cleaned out, and it's working fine, but I know that, if I got and tell them in the office that they should deal with the ant nest under the building, they'll tell me not to leave food out. Because I routinely leave food inside my clock?

"You can't erase icing."

Is the clock made by the same company as Trebuchetís coffee maker?

BTW: I saw a documentary about ants a while back which claimed that the total mass of ants on the planet (not just numbers) exceeds that of humans. Itís their world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, signage of ante meridiem could invite the more fun-loving and better readers of their species. I’ll bet the coffee unit had an a.m. display as well.

[stuck at airport awaiting late flight.]
    Last edited by George; 2020-Jan-13 at 05:40 PM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    BTW: I saw a documentary about ants a while back which claimed that the total mass of ants on the planet (not just numbers) exceeds that of humans. Itís their world.
    But we're one species, while they are a mass, it's like comparing all mammals to Camponotus vagus. Ants are divided, let's conquer them! Then we too can rule the world within 1/2 an inch of the ground.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    But we're one species, while they are a mass, it's like comparing all mammals to Camponotus vagus. Ants are divided, let's conquer them! Then we too can rule the world within 1/2 an inch of the ground.
    And to add, it's also probably wrong that ants weigh as much as humans. Apparently the calculation was based on an excessively high average weight of ants and an excessively high number.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29281253
    As above, so below

The average mass of the ants in my coffee maker has to be very small indeed.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Given the distance between me and Treb and the similar description, yes, they actually were the same species as invaded his coffee maker. There's a species of that lives around here that is well known to residents for its particular smell, especially when the ants get squished, and that's the kind we both dealt with invading our small appliances.

Meanwhile, Irene and I are awake. It is 5:41 AM here. I can't go back to sleep, and she's just not going to. And when I checked my e-mail, I found a notice from the school district that the school was on a two-hour delay. So in theory, I could've gotten two hours more sleep than usual, not less.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Ants are divided, let's conquer them!
    Oh no. Iíve seen that documentary, too.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/m...er/rm672559872

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've lost a week of my life. Or more.
    I manage my life with a spreadsheet, because when the only tool you have is Excel Open Office Spreadsheet, every problem looks like a spreadsheet.

It is called TTDxx, TTD for "Things To Do", xx for the year. Multiple tabs for today, cumulative ToDone, BillsToPay, BillsPaid, and a bunch of random stuff.

I did manage to start a new file (SaveAs from last year) on January 1 and 2. At that point, some "stuff" happened, including some family issues and a crash of my old computer. The file is saved on a thumb drive, so eventually I pulled the thumb from the old computer and put it in the newer one.
    That one said the file was locked for editing by me (on the old computer), so I opened it read-only and did Save-As under a slightly modified name. I've continued updating on the newer computer up til today.
    This afternoon, after I had done quite a bit and, as far as I know, saved the file, still under the new name, I tried to open something else. I got a message asking if I wanted to recover the TTD file. Why would I do that, I saved it and it's open anyway.
    So now it's gone. Can't find anything under that name. Dang.
    Nuts.
    It's the 15th tomorrow, but it'll be day one of TTD20!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Oh no. I’ve seen that documentary, too.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/m...er/rm672559872
    One of the kids in that grew up to win an Emmy for writing the music for the TV version of It; every time a movie comes out that has a pronoun for a title, I'm always a little disappointed if he's not involved.

I've discovered that a game I'm playing is supposed to be letting me do something by now that it's not, and I have no idea what to do about it.

"You can't erase icing."

I hate it when that happens, Trebuchet. I don't do backups as frequently as I used to because I'm not updating or creating new files like I used to. But you've reminded me it's time to back up to the drive that's kept in the fireproof safe.

Oh no. I’ve seen that documentary, too.
    Never saw the movie but I read the story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiningen_Versus_the_Ants
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Once again, everyone woke up early on a day when the school's on delay. The kids are already bickering.

"You can't erase icing."

I have this wonderful student who is absolutely delightful to work with, but he sometimes rattles me. He is the epitome of stoic, dry, and also has a flat affect. But he lives for deadpan snark. He totally understands deadpan humor and how effective he is with it.

He seems to be illiterate so we are trying to teach him sight words plus the sounds and shapes of letters. The other day, he really gunned me and my staff almost lost their minds. They got mad at his behavior, but it was really funny.

I asked: "What letter is this?" while holding up a card with an H on it.

He replied: "Nothing."

I asked him if he was sure about that, and he said "yes".

I asked if he could name the sound it made. He slowly replied: "Nothing. Hour, honor, herb... Hmmm, Henry?"

My name isn't Henry, so he was just gassing me. He drives my staff nuts, because assessing his academic benchmarks is crazy hard.

His goal is to know letters and their sounds with less than 2 prompts, but the way he answers is often context specific word play and if someone doesn't catch on to his wordplay, the above exchange is counts as one question with two prompts. But if you are in the know about him and you get his humor, it's 3 correctly answered questions with no prompts.

It is entirely possible he has vision problems and can read just fine, but under what most people would call "normal situations".
    Solfe

Despite having my inbox set to "exclusive," I've started getting Bitcoin offers in my inbox, not my junk mail folder.

"You can't erase icing."