Page 452 of 459 FirstFirst ... 352402442450451452453454 ... LastLast
Results 13,531 to 13,560 of 13742

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I've just spent an hour and a half on the phone with the cable company about our internet service, or lack thereof. 2/3 of that on hold, 1/3 with the representative. Who was much better than the previous guy but unable to help. So I'm back to using the phone as a hotspot. I am SO frustrated.
    We have an appointment for a service call on Monday. I'm not optimistic.
    I told the guy we don't have unlimited data and I'd be sending them the bill for overages. He said they'd pay it!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I have a problem, when I see an electronic device I like to have it, this afternoon near the end of me helping to set up for an auction I see a tablet and made a deal with the company for it but there i no charging cable, I did find one online for a few bucks but have to see if there any around here first. I thought this would be at least a good ending to a ay that started with me sleeping thru the alarm on my phone because I left the headphone plugged in, spilling my cereal, took a few minutes to long to find a hoe and having to turn around at on point because the street I wanted to go down was closed for repairs.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Another minor gripe of the day, the guy whose estate this stuff came from was a Anglican minister, Freemason and a Shriner, my grandfather was a Mason o I was today I was thinking did I know this guy and forgot.

Last month I made a little pamphlet about the Perseids that we gave away for free on our information table out in the courtyard. Today as I was working on another project (cards where people record animal sightings), another ranger discussed where we had placed the pamphlets so as not to blow away in the wind for reference. All good and well, but she kept saying “your astrology brochures”, and I was too tired from getting the cards right to correct her.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    All good and well, but she kept saying “your astrology brochures”, and I was too tired from getting the cards right to correct her.
    That would really tick me off, especially coming from a ranger.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

That would be annoying. I don’t go around saying I like astronomy in casual conversation but occasionally it comes up one way or another (like if there has been some astronomy related news making it to the front page). More than once someone has said something like “Oh, you’re into astrology? I like that too,” or made some comment about horoscopes. It is definitely annoying, and always leads to the question of whether to ignore them or correct them, and both choices can be less than ideal.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That would be annoying. I don’t go around saying I like astronomy in casual conversation but occasionally it comes up one way or another (like if there has been some astronomy related news making it to the front page). More than once someone has said something like “Oh, you’re into astrology? I like that too,” or made some comment about horoscopes. It is definitely annoying, and always leads to the question of whether to ignore them or correct them, and both choices can be less than ideal.
    I really dislike that astrology has become something of a meme on certain social media in recent years, with the same “but if I say it in a funny way, that means I don’t BELIEVE it, haha... except I do” attitude we have seen people use to get away with with certain noxious -isms elsewhere on social media.

I don't believe in astrology because I am Scorpio and we're to scientific to believe in it.

If someone asks "Under what sign were you conceived?" you should answer "I think it was 'KEEP OFF THE GRASS.'"

They won't bother you any more.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    If someone asks "Under what sign were you conceived?" you should answer "I think it was 'KEEP OFF THE GRASS.'"

They won't bother you any more.
    One of my science teachers used to say he was born under the sign... “HOSPITAL, NO SMOKING”.

The city I was born in was Ajax, Ontario, so when we were visiting there she said, "Did you you were born in Ajax?". Which is also a household cleaner.

I signed up a while back to get delivery notifications from the USPS, an organization that's having trouble right now. (A large envelope I sent weeks ago still has not, to my knowledge, arrived in Texas.) Alas for me, their system won't show me package delivery, and when I try to get it, it encourages me to sign up for their delivery notification system. This would be worse if we were still in the apartment; they stopped giving us delivery slips in our boxes when packages didn't fit and were left in the office, because everyone knows all this information is available electronically now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We sent in forms for my wife's handicap parking pass back in July and haven't gotten it yet. I suspect the problem lies in Olympia rather than with the USPS, however.

Next door neighbor is selling his house. He had renovated the basement as an apartment, and was renting it out. Both homeowner and tenant are nice folks. Now we roll the dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Next door neighbor is selling his house. He had renovated the basement as an apartment, and was renting it out. Both homeowner and tenant are nice folks. Now we roll the dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good luck with that! As you say, it's a crapshoot.

I see from your Tapatalk signature* you have an iPhone. Our iCloud account has been hacked. At least, according to "Apple Support" who called six times yesterday on the landline number. Why do we bother with that?

*You can turn those off, you know.

Yeah, I turned off the signature line.
    Originally, I left it on to allow Tapatalk to advertise that they offered smartphone access to the forum. But, everyone should be aware by now.
    Maybe I’ll eventually get around to having it match my webpage sig line.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Our iCloud account has been hacked. At least, according to "Apple Support" who called six times yesterday on the landline number. Why do we bother with that?
    I had something like that sometime back, for something Apple related that I didn't have. Of course I was supposed to call back and presumably give them details about me. They called about every half hour for a number of hours. I ended up with a number of calls to delete from voicemail. They did it again maybe a month later. A known scam, of course. Since regulations were changed, and better filtering has been allowed since earlier this year, I get few junk calls on the “landline” (which isn’t really a line as such, being a VOIP connection).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Same here. About twice a year we get a legit call on that number. At least it costs much less from the cable co than the phone company

We still have a landline (VOIP), mainly to ensure emergency services can find us if needed. (Improved cellular location services are being rolled out, though.) Still, I like the idea of one phone tethered to the wall. It should be easier to locate in a panic situation.

Mostly, we get calls from people who leave no message. I assume the vast majority are scammers.

I miss having a landline, honestly, but our provider was determined to make the same amount of money on fewer customers, from what I could tell, and were increasing our monthly charge enough so that switching to a cell phone was actually cheaper.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

This was years ago but it took us a while to cut the cord, partly because cell coverage at our house wasn't great. Once that was remedied, keeping the VOIP line just didn't pencil out. I don't miss it at all.

At that time, cell phones seemed to be mostly immune to telemarketing and scam calls...but not for long. They were soon following us around on two phones, at least until the DNC registry tamed it a bit.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I certainly hope this is trivial....

I went in to Safeway to pick up a prescription for my wife and do some other shopping. I had already picked up the Rx and was heading the wrong way up a one-way aisle, just like the person ahead of me, when I suddenly realized I'd forgotten to put on a mask. I was pretty horrified and got checked out as soon as I could, without any more shopping. How embarrassing.

Worse, I had already interacted with at least two store employees including the pharmacist (whose name is Meghan; she looks to be about 14) and passed by many others. Nobody said anything. I'll give Meghan a break as she was clearly a very new employee, but if they are going to have a policy they should at least try to enforce it. Then again, there's a big sign out front about not allowing dogs. They don't enforce that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Yeah, I turned off the signature line.
    Originally, I left it on to allow Tapatalk to advertise that they offered smartphone access to the forum. But, everyone should be aware by now.
    Maybe I’ll eventually get around to having it match my webpage sig line.
    If only they offered GOOD smartphone access!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I certainly hope this is trivial....

I went in to Safeway to pick up a prescription for my wife and do some other shopping. I had already picked up the Rx and was heading the wrong way up a one-way aisle, just like the person ahead of me, when I suddenly realized I'd forgotten to put on a mask. I was pretty horrified and got checked out as soon as I could, without any more shopping. How embarrassing.

Worse, I had already interacted with at least two store employees including the pharmacist (whose name is Meghan; she looks to be about 14) and passed by many others. Nobody said anything. I'll give Meghan a break as she was clearly a very new employee, but if they are going to have a policy they should at least try to enforce it. Then again, there's a big sign out front about not allowing dogs. They don't enforce that either.
    I sincerely hope embarrassed is the worst thing you feel as a result!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I sincerely hope embarrassed is the worst thing you feel as a result!
    And everyone else!

On a related note...

A few weekends ago, I needed some items from my (relatively) local auto parts store. I ordered them online so I could pick them up without spending much time in the store.

I nearly got to the store when I noticed that I forgot my mask and goggles. I mentally kicked myself in the butt as I retraced my way home to get them.

Yeah, this is the time when we can observe people walk from their cars toward a shop, then turn on their heels mid-way and head back to their cars.

I see it all the time, because I do it myself. "Darn, forgot my mask."

I’m also always forgetting masks and I’ve had to buy a countless number when I couldn’t go back home.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Yeah, this is the time when we can observe people walk from their cars toward a shop, then turn on their heels mid-way and head back to their cars.

I see it all the time, because I do it myself. "Darn, forgot my mask."
    I don't forget mine in the car...usually. I put mine on while still in the car because some folks seem to think social distancing doesn't apply to wide open parking lots.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Ugh, the political ads. Most are standard-boilerplate attack ads. "Joe Blow is corrupt, he hates our country, he loves terrorists and eats babies, yadda yadda." So annoying.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright