Page 429 of 440 FirstFirst ... 329379419427428429430431439 ... LastLast
Results 12,841 to 12,870 of 13188

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Here in Canada there is a certain coffee company that has a promotion that requires the customer to roll up the lip of the paper coffee cup, they have been promoting an app for the contest but now because of Coronavirus the prizes are only going to giving out thru the internet and all the paper coffee cups wont be used.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Thousands of blue-dyed people dressed as Smurfs have gathered in France for no good reason whatsoever. And they laugh at the coronavirus.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ld-record.html
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    So, over the past few days I've been trying to do something about the accumulated piles of paper. As in, I haven't done anything but pile them on the in-baskets since about 2015, and not only are all the baskets full, but the heap on top of the three has begun to exceed it's angle of repose.

Good progress has been made. The box with the discards to be recycled is overfull and probably weighs two or three kilos. Today's challenge was my wife's Avon sales. She does it for fun, there's no profit. As long as the losses aren't terrible, I'm fine with that. As far as I know, since I haven't actually checked since about 2015.

So anyhow, today I was sorting that pile. And had an instance I was going to post in "Trivial Things That Make Me Happy". It would have read:

Except A) The stapler wasn't empty, it's apparently broken; and
    B) the last few things I thought had stapled weren't.
    We probably own about 15 staplers. Guess how many non-broken ones I can find. Why, yes, we have moved twice in the last three years!

Next project: Office Supplies.
    Stapler wasn't broken; I was just loading it wrong. Which I figured out after we bought a new one. What a doofus.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The site owner of the site where I post my film reviews has been fairly hands-off the entire time. There's been some Drama recently for which he apparently blames me (I don't deny I'm involved in it, but he's defending the person whose fault it actually is), and he demands to know why we didn't e-mail him about certain issues sooner. Apparently "because you never do anything about e-mails from us" is not the right answer, because surely he'd know that?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My Mom had to back out of long-made vacation plans (and the financial commitments thereof) because of the dang Coronavirus cautions. Still, it's a reasonable decision, she's got lung issues.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My province put in a new rule that if a student is travelling to a foreign country that the student has to stay away from school for 14 days, my sister has a plan to go to Cuba in April with my oldest niece who is final year of high school.

Also last auction I thought I bought some prints for only a couple of dollars but now unpacking the suitcase that a bought there also the prints are not there, probably left them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My Mom had to back out of long-made vacation plans (and the financial commitments thereof) because of the dang Coronavirus cautions. Still, it's a reasonable decision, she's got lung issues.
    Hope no money was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Hope no money was lost.
    Still TBD, but the main sticking point seems to be with the airline.

Pollen is horrible. Stuffy even on meds.

I have had a mild earache for a little while that wouldn't go away and I then started to hear a bit of whistle if I "popped" my ears so wondered about the ear drum. Yesterday I went to the Doctor and yes the offending ear is a a bit "pink" inside so on antibiotic ear drops for a week and then come back. Apparently, there was a wax buildup so he couldn't see the ear drum. If the wax has not been washed out by next week then a syringing will be in order. Then he looked in the other ear and a bit of infection in there as well.

I am on 'normal' ear drops for one ear but because of the possibility of a small ear drum tear in the other one I was prescribed a different type of ear drops for that ear. So two different types of ear drops with a different number of daily applications and a different number of drops in each application as well. I wonder if I mix up the drops will my head end up like the people thrown out of the airlock in Total Recall.

I feel I have regressed to being like my grandkids in getting ear infections.

Woke up at 7:30 am and heard fire trucks going further out into the counrty and when I just went to get the mail and four trucks were headed back into town. I hope no one got hurt but that probably was a big fire.

Tapatalk has started sending notifications to my phone. Lots of them. I don't need that. I went to settings in Tapatalk and it said to turn off the notifications in the phone. So I did that. Then I did it again. And again. Apparently they are turning it back on. I really hate Tapatalk.

Tapatalk has started sending notifications to my phone. Lots of them. I don't need that. I went to settings in Tapatalk and it said to turn off the notifications in the phone. So I did that. Then I did it again. And again. Apparently they are turning it back on. I really hate Tapatalk.
    I don't have that issue with Tapatalk Pro. Are you going into settings within the app or your phone's Notification settings?
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2020-Mar-12 at 08:34 PM. Reason: — s
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Tapatalk has started sending notifications to my phone. Lots of them. I don't need that.
    Me too. Just started today. Not Tapatalk Pro. Haven't poked around in the settings yet.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I don't have that issue with Tapatalk Pro. Are you going into settings within the app or your phone's Notification settings?
    Settings in the app tells you to do it in the phone. I did. They changed it back at least twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Me too. Just started today. Not Tapatalk Pro. Haven't poked around in the settings yet.

Grant Hutchison
    Tapatalk is so generally terrible that I'm not even going to consider giving them money for the "Pro" version. Which, to my recollection is on about its third iteration after they canceled previous ones and then charged people who'd bought them all over again.

One thing you can be sure of with Tapatalk: When it tells you how many new posts in a thread, you can be absolutely certain it won't be that number. Frequently it'll say 10 or 12 new posts and the latest is the one I posted an hour ago.

Ok, so just lost our vacation plans. I'd say it's all up in the air, but flight bans are surely coming next.

Ok, so just lost our vacation plans. I'd say it's all up in the air, but flight bans are surely coming next.
    That bites, sorry to hear it.

That is a pity, hopefully the trip can be revisited later on.

Had to go shopping today. It's like a feeding frenzy of locusts out there. Store shelves have been stripped bare.

Had to go shopping today. It's like a feeding frenzy of locusts out there. Store shelves have been stripped bare.
    I know what you mean.

When I was a kid, I was shuffled around a lot. The concept of home was non-existent, so I had and still have this mental list what is necessary. Over the years, I have socially norm'd this list into "camping supplies that happen to be useful in a zombie apocalypse." I have most of the stuff at all times. Exactly how many kitchen matches will I need? How many cups of noodles can I eat? And so on... It's more normal now, but not really normal to think like that.

People are buying a lot of unnecessary things and it is sort of annoying. What were they doing before that really wasn't working? I don't know. Maybe they were just fine, but something tipped the scales to put them in panic mode.

I read this fascinating book called Creating a Common Table, which is about the historical and social significance of Doña Petrona in Argentina. Her country industrialized in the early 20th century and people had to go from cooking fires to ovens and refrigerators in a very short time. It changed everything. Doña Petrona was a master of planning and public speaking. She created or compiled recipes, offered advise on how to shop, how to be a host and the master of a home. In a strange way, it reads like a super friendly survivalist handbook, except these are things you should do everyday. Not on the eve of a disaster.

I haven't busted out my list of survival supplies, so I hesitate to call this personal disaster. I reserve the right to change my mind based on more information. I don't doubt that other people have crossed the line from typical day to disaster a little while ago. I do not want to start flailing in a way that makes their situation worse.
    Solfe

Hasn't been like that in our area. The stores are busier than usual sometimes, more empty at others, with a few items missing, but nothing drastic.

Mrs M attribute it to the fact that Florida residents are accustomed to hurricane-related difficulties.

This morning I went to the store and noticed that the toilet paper was still gone. Added to the list of products that were missing from the shelves was kitty litter. What sort of future are we planning on? I don't think I can hover over a pan in the basement...

Memewhile, my cats are unconcerned. They would happily poop anywhere if given half a chance.
    Solfe

Was going to a play tonight. Canceled. One of the actors may have been exposed to COVID-19.

Listening to a podcast and they are talking about how Corona beer is having maketing issues, should we rename the Corona of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Listening to a podcast and they are talking about how Corona beer is having maketing issues, should we rename the Corona of the sun.
    *palmface*
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    A week or two ago that story showed up first. A headline-factcheck suggested it was probably untrue. It was supposedly based on a poll among beer drinkers, being asked whether they would buy Corona. But the percentage saying no might just as well be because they didn't like the taste, the price, preferring it in the warmer seasons, or whatever. The company denied any negative influences.

But maybe things changed with the latest panic-du-jour.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    A week or two ago that story showed up first. A headline-factcheck suggested it was probably untrue. It was supposedly based on a poll among beer drinkers, being asked whether they would buy Corona. But the percentage saying no might just as well be because they didn't like the taste, the price, preferring it in the warmer seasons, or whatever. The company denied any negative influences.

That is basically what they were reporting but there some somewhat politically charge conspiracies based off of the worries about Corvid-19.
    One of the major skeptical conferences NECSS (New England Conference on Science and Skepticism) is going to all digital this summer but next summer they are going back to a real life conference. I wonder what this means for other conferences like QED in Manchester or the other ones all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post

I've never actually tasted it, having seen too many unfavorable comparisons to horse urine.
    Of course, I haven't tasted the latter either.

I've never actually tasted it, having seen too many unfavorable comparisons to horse urine.
    Of course, I haven't tasted the latter either.
    It is certainly popular here in the summer months. I find it quite ok but not much different than any of the normal lagers available here.

I don't like beer at all, so I'm certainly not buying it. But the last time we were at Costco--after things were starting but before they were bad--I did see at least one person with it in their cart.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"