Page 459 of 467 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459460461 ... LastLast
Results 13,741 to 13,770 of 13983

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I use "one" like that sometimes, when I suspect that "you" could give a wrong impression. I also use "whom" sometimes, for the same purpose.

I ordered some small items from Amazon, but something went wrong with the shipment. Tracking said it went to a state well beyond where It should (if you draw a line between the origin and the destination). Then, there were no updates for several days.

Finally, I received an email saying there was a “problem” with the package, and the order was being cancelled.

When I logged into Amazon to reorder, the one item of the group that was intended as a Christmas gift is out of stock until January.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Possessive pronouns, though. Yours, ours, hers, theirs, its. Nary an apostrophe.

Grant Hutchison
    Now that I think about it, however, none of those are added by simply adding an s to the pronoun, as its is. They should be you's, us's, she's and they's!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I think that most applications have a way to edit the autocorrect list/file/dictionary to suit your own particular weaknesses but avoid overcompensation.
    Unfortunately, when I was working every time IT pushed out an update all that customization went away!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Now that I think about it, however, none of those are added by simply adding an s to the pronoun, as its is. They should be you's, us's, she's and they's!
    They're formed by adding an "s" to the possessive adjective: your/yours, our/ours, her/hers, their/theirs. You've got an oddity in my/mine, and a pair that, because they already end in "s" as the adjective, don't take another "s" in the possessive pronoun: his/his, its/its.

It's just how stuff is. The possessive apostrophe historically marked a missing letter "e" (we used to write kinges rather than king's), and was then generalized as a way of disambiguating plurals from possessives. But (the story goes) because personal pronouns never had the specific possessive "es" construction, and don't have conventional plurals in "s", there was never a reason for an apostrophe or a disambiguation.

Grant Hutchison

We had one of 'those' rides this morning. On the first part of our ride the 'joint use' bike path was crowded with walkers. Then once we were back on the, quiet, streets we had a run of cars pulling out in front of us without looking, being too timid to pass when there was plenty of room, blocking cross-overs etc. And then as we were almost home we had a kid, about 9 years old, running late for school taking his scooter around a blind corner at full speed ,resulting in emergency braking by all parties. And to be fair an apology from him.

Still, it was much better than sitting at home and we did get to ride for about 5 km's along a lovely calm river.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    They're formed by adding an "s" to the possessive adjective: your/yours, our/ours, her/hers, their/theirs. You've got an oddity in my/mine...
    In the last decade or two, among black Americans, it's become common to fix that by saying "mines" for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    In the last decade or two, among black Americans, it's become common to fix that by saying "mines" for the latter.
    "Mines" is dialectically common in Scotland, along with second person plural "yous".

Grant Hutchison

We had early Thanksgiving on Saturday. After dinner I made turkey stock.
    In the morning after skimming the fat, I divided it into three portions, two to freeze and one for immediate soup.
    In the afternoon, I made soup, adding carrots, potatoes, onion, celery and pearl barley to the stock.
    I had it all dished up for dinner when I realized I'd forgotten an ingredient -- the turkey meat!

Last night I did leftover soup. After serving it to my wife, she discovered a problem. I had forgotten the turkey again.

We've another two portions of turkey-less soup in the fridge. Can I turn a hat trick?

Looks like no auction this weekend. Last night I checked their website and it they were going to have one in Moncton instead I guess but even that one has been canceled. My wallet is upset, my muscles aren't.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

This morning, I woke up turned to my wife and said, "I don't want to get up." She said, "Me, either." The dog heard us talking and jumped up on the bed. The bed frame snapped, knocking me and the dog on the floor. She was ready to get up and go outside.

It is super annoying that I now need a new bed frame on a holiday before the madness people call "black Friday". Money, time and inconvenience are just part of it. I don't want to go to the store and encourage what I see as bad behavior, even in non-pandemic times.

I'll probably go to a thrift store tomorrow to buy a cheap bed frame until I can figure out what my wife really wants to do about a new bed. It's seems like the least "feed the beast" answer.
    Solfe

We ordered a geology-themed Advent calendar for Simon about a week and a half ago. Paid extra for seven-day shipping. I can't see the tracking and had to ask the company what was going on; the person I'm in contact with sees the tracking, but the fact remains that they have not actually shipped it yet.

Then yesterday, I discovered that the recurring problem I'd been having with my mouse and keyboard was from a driver that is incompatible with Windows 7, and I was going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade. I backed up all my stuff that I cared about, and I started the update. And let it run. And run. And run. Woke up this morning, and it told me that the updates were still only at 30%, and the internet says that, at that point, you might as well just give up and reset. Which of course resets you to Windows 7. I'll try again today, I guess.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Tried three more times, using the advice I found online of what to do based on the error message. I will continue to try today, I guess.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Gillian, so you’re trying to upgrade to Windows 10? Have you googled with the name of your computer model and the error message, or adding something like “Windows 10 upgrade problem” to the model name? It is possible there is an issue specific to that machine. Incidentally, how much RAM do you have? Limited RAM can cause issues. Oh and do you have plenty of spare disk space?

If the main reason for the upgrade is the keyboard, have you tried using a generic keyboard driver rather than whatever it came with? They usually will work with generic drivers and those tend to have fewer issues.

It might be easier to buy a used keyboard and mouse on a site like ebay or check Goodwill (some have donated computer hardware). They can be quite inexpensive. Or look for a new inexpensive one that lists Windows 7 compatibility.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

As I remember, not every Windows 7 computer had the required specs for an upgrade to Windows 10.

I had two Win-7 PCs, and back when Microsoft was pushing everybody to update, their online scan claimed that even my smaller, slower, dumber PC could take it. I was skeptical and never allowed (it wasn't easy) them to upgrade either of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    As I remember, not every Windows 7 computer had the required specs for an upgrade to Windows 10.
    Right, it is more likely with older machines, but in any event there are many combinations of hardware and it isn’t possible to get software to work with all of them (even the ones that pass the initial Windows upgrade tests).

That said, there can also be resolvable issues with specific hardware configurations, so assuming this was a preconfigured model, there might be information on that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I had to change the Filter Pads in my Evaporative A/C. My house is only a single storey one with a tiled roof. However, I am now 66 years old, overweight, have a dodgy knee and am not fond, at all, of any heights. Over the last few days I kept taking a a few steps up the ladder and then the story of Trebuchet's graceful dive off his roof would spring to my mind. In the end I got my daughter's partner to do the roof bit while I fitted the metal frames to the pads while safely on the ground.

I felt a bit of a wimp but in the end I was happier for him to be up there than me.

Wise of you!
    As it happens, I was doing Christmas lights just yesterday, including some that are at least 15 feet above the ground! But they are along the railing of our upper deck, were already hung, and I just needed to go up the stairs and plug them in!
    In the "bugs me" department, one portion of the string didn't light. Looks like I'll need to replace them, but they are held to the railing with some small zip ties which I know I have but can't find.
    In the front, I put some on a little decorative fence. Then I got out an extension cord to connect them. It was too short. I connected it to a longer one, and the combination was still to short. I had to go down to the old garage and find a proper one.
    I'd pay money for an outdoor extension cord that remains flexible regardless of age or temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Gillian, so you’re trying to upgrade to Windows 10? Have you googled with the name of your computer model and the error message, or adding something like “Windows 10 upgrade problem” to the model name? It is possible there is an issue specific to that machine. Incidentally, how much RAM do you have? Limited RAM can cause issues. Oh and do you have plenty of spare disk space?
    That was the first thing I did. The issue is not specific to the machine, though I can't find out exactly what the issue is. I have enough RAM and memory.

If the main reason for the upgrade is the keyboard, have you tried using a generic keyboard driver rather than whatever it came with? They usually will work with generic drivers and those tend to have fewer issues.
    It didn't come with a keyboard; my computer was custom built by a friend, not bought in a store. The reason for the upgrade was that there's a driver issue with Windows 7 now that means USB ports are unreliable. Which means that my keyboard and mouse both will randomly stop working. Presumably anything else I was using plugged into my USB ports, too, but I don't use much plugged into my USB ports. I was Googling for that problem and learned that basically the only way to fix it is to upgrade to Windows 10, where it isn't having problems.

It might be easier to buy a used keyboard and mouse on a site like ebay or check Goodwill (some have donated computer hardware). They can be quite inexpensive. Or look for a new inexpensive one that lists Windows 7 compatibility.
    At best, that would have to wait another few days; I have less than $10 in my account until the first. Fixed income, you know.

"You can't erase icing."

I almost put this in "non-trivial".
    I just saw a commercial on the TeeVee. It featured a gray-haired woman in a bathing suit running down a dock followed by what were presumably supposed to be her grandkids. The voiceover said "If you're on blood thinners, you face a lifetime of worry about falls and bleeding. You should replace Warfarin with this extremely expensive product!" Meanwhile they're showing the people dodging around all sorts of clutter and tripping hazards on the dock and even rusty nails sticking up, not a care in the world. Presumably because Grandma got the expensive product, so stepping on a nail won't cause her to bleed excessively.

I wonder if it also prevents tetanus.

I almost put this in "non-trivial".
    I just saw a commercial on the TeeVee. It featured a gray-haired woman in a bathing suit running down a dock followed by what were presumably supposed to be her grandkids. The voiceover said "If you're on blood thinners, you face a lifetime of worry about falls and bleeding. You should replace Warfarin with this extremely expensive product!" Meanwhile they're showing the people dodging around all sorts of clutter and tripping hazards on the dock and even rusty nails sticking up, not a care in the world. Presumably because Grandma got the expensive product, so stepping on a nail won't cause her to bleed excessively.
    I spent a year on the extremely expensive product. It's easier to control the level of anticoagulation, but banging your head on something still makes you wonder if you'll actually wake up the next morning. I banged my head more times in that year than in any previous five-year period.

Grant Hutchison

I loathe all prescription drug commercials of the type we have in the U.S.

"Ask your doctor about..." Shouldn't your doctor be the one who initiates a conversation about taking a new drug? Or is he or she out of touch, unaware that a certain drug may be of benefit?

"Tell your doctor about other medications you are taking..." Shouldn't your doctor be aware of other drugs you are taking?

And then there is always the creepy list of potential side effects. During a heartwarming scene while somebody in the background sentimentally plinks on a piano, a soothing voice-over reels off a docket of warnings ranging from drowsiness to suicidal impulses. I guess the music is the spoonful of sugar to help the scary medicine advert go down.

A prescription drug commercial is the very embodiment of cognitive dissonance.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post

"Ask your doctor about..." Shouldn't your doctor be the one who initiates a conversation about taking a new drug? Or is he or she out of touch, unaware that a certain drug may be of benefit?

"Tell your doctor about other medications you are taking..." Shouldn't your doctor be aware of other drugs you are taking?

And then there is always the creepy list of potential side effects. During a heartwarming scene while somebody in the background sentimentally plinks on a piano, a soothing voice-over reels off a docket of warnings ranging from drowsiness to suicidal impulses. I guess the music is the spoonful of sugar to help the scary medicine advert go down.
    I agree. Whenever I'm in the US I find that puzzling. About the first question, though, I can assure you that the pharmas are also encouraging doctors to suggest their new medicine to their patients. Sometimes at free steak lunches, I think (unless it is prohibited in the US. In Japan, they do that). So they are definitely working on both sides.

And the creepy list is surely a legal requirement. What I sometimes don't understand is whether it really helps to sell a drug when you have to tell people in the commercial that death and various horrid things are possible side-effects.
    As above, so below

23. 2020-Nov-29, 01:06 AM

Direct-to-consumer advertising works, otherwise drug companies wouldn't do it. We know that patients do successfully pressurized doctors into prescribing specific medication. There have been multiple surveys to that effect, conducted over many years--you can find an early one here.
    Direct-to-consumer advertising is prohibited in the UK. And on the matter of free steak lunches, the UK General Medical Council specifically prohibits doctors from accepting "...any inducement, gift or hospitality that may affect or be seen to affect the way you prescribe for, advise, treat, refer or commission services for patients."

Grant Hutchison

Lawyers.

Lawyers.

And then there is always the creepy list of potential side effects....
    More lawyers.

They should know what medications they are prescribing, and medical groups usually have shared records, but if you go to other doctors outside their group, you need to let them know what you’re taking. There are also OTC drugs, which usually are benign but not always. Doctors normally ask me to verify what I’m taking as a matter of routine, but no doubt if that wasn’t in the commercial and someone had a bad reaction to a drug combination, they could sue the drug company. As schlaugh said: lawyers.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A prescription drug commercial is the very embodiment of cognitive dissonance.
    My personal favorite line is "Do not take if you are taking an MAIO inhibitor". I know what those are but to most people, that statement is as transparent as a mud. I used to have a boss with asthma and had a couple of different medication for it. When she received new medications with that statement about MAIO inhibitors, she would go to Dr. Google to see if her asthma medications were MAIO inhubitors. Google was relatively new. She'd land on wacky web pages of dubiously quality, freak out then use her asthma inhaler. She'd get so worked up, she would conflate "inhaler" with "inhibitor" multiple times in a breathless conversation.

I'd try to be as calm as possible, but dealing with her was tiring.

On the amusing side, part of my duties were to prevent the same boss from reporting Onion "articles" as product problems to our marketing team. Her boss thought I had mad diplomacy skills. That was also tiring.
    Solfe

"Don't take Pricing (Veripricimab) if you are allergic to Pricium!"

Thanks all for all the response to my rant. Yeah, I suppose can see the rationale behind all those oft-parodied medical disclaimers and conditions being driven by, "May cause the threat of lawsuits".

As noted, these ads seem to work or they wouldn't continue to employ them. However, direct-to-consumer ads will always be slanted in favor of brand-name & high-cost drugs, and for some conditions, older and less-expensive and generic drugs are just as good. Those aren’t being advertised and one can only hope that your doctor has your best interests in mind and is not under the influence of a free steak lunch.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

"Don't take Pricing (Veripricimab) if you are allergic to Pricium!"
    They even include that statement for the “one-shot lasts forever” pneumonia vaccine.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    They should know what medications they are prescribing, and medical groups usually have shared records, but if you go to other doctors outside their group, you need to let them know what you’re taking. There are also OTC drugs, which usually are benign but not always.
    And things that people think aren't "drugs", like herbal preparations they bought from a health food shop. A lot of these have pharmacologically active ingredients, which are provided in completely unregulated quantities.
    A surgeon and I once told a patient that we had to delay his surgery (he was having a protracted procedure notorious for its associated blood loss) because he'd been taking high doses of garlic. Unfortunately, he'd been taking it at his wife's behest, because she thought it would stop him getting a cold before his operation. There's very little evidence to support that, but lots of evidence that garlic has a significant antiplatlet effect that prolongs and increases surgical bleeding. He'd managed to get through about five screening procedures that asked him "What drugs are you taking?" without mentioning the garlic, until I asked him specifically about herbal preparations, when I first met him the night before the planned surgery.

Grant Hutchison