Page 438 of 442 FirstFirst ... 338388428436437438439440 ... LastLast
Results 13,111 to 13,140 of 13257

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

  1. #13111
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I went to urgent care yesterday to get a piece of glass out of my foot, and the guy who did it shook my hand when he came in the room. It took me probably ten minutes to think, "Well, yeah, but he definitely had to touch me while I was there, so why not shake my hand?"
    I'd say that was pretty odd. He's much more likely to catch something from your hand than from your foot. Maybe he figured he was going to have to wash his hands in antiseptic soon anyway.

    Grant Hutchison

  2. #13112
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    9,154
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I was basically apologizing for linking to such annoying reference material. It's not up to my usual standard. Unfortunately, for reasons he kind of gives here, Lindquist doesn't seem to have described his "freezing detoxification" method anywhere else but on YouTube.

    Grant Hutchison
    Well it confirmed my failure to put diving on my bucket list. My diver son already put me off with his experiences in cold water, Sun Fish can stop worrying about me.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  3. #13113
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,531
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That’s why catching them as invasives and keeping them in tanks (as my friend did) may be the best of both worlds... until your lionfish dies and your husband tries to get rid of him...
    According to the video, they are good eating. That could have solved the problem!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  4. #13114
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    I gave myself a directive not to post in any ATM thread. Its to my benefit, but it bugs me that I still want to do it.
    Solfe

  5. #13115
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,306
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'd say that was pretty odd. He's much more likely to catch something from your hand than from your foot. Maybe he figured he was going to have to wash his hands in antiseptic soon anyway.
    Quite possible. It was the first time in possibly months that I'd touched someone outside my household, though.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  6. #13116
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,200
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'd say that was pretty odd. He's much more likely to catch something from your hand than from your foot. Maybe he figured he was going to have to wash his hands in antiseptic soon anyway.

    Grant Hutchison
    Prior to the pandemic, it was customary for my doctor to enter the examination room, greet me with a handshake, and immediately wash-up.
    I never took it personally
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  7. #13117
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Prior to the pandemic, it was customary for my doctor to enter the examination room, greet me with a handshake, and immediately wash-up.
    I never took it personally
    You've got to hope that she also washed her hands after she'd examined the previous patient.

    Grant Hutchison

  8. #13118
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,200
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You've got to hope that she also washed her hands after she'd examined the previous patient.

    Grant Hutchison
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  9. #13119
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Prior to the pandemic, it was customary for my doctor to enter the examination room, greet me with a handshake, and immediately wash-up. I never took it personally
    I've always insisted on shaking hands with a doctor or dentist about to see me.... until lately, of course, when I skip it. I miss that ritual very much.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  10. #13120
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I've always insisted on shaking hands with a doctor or dentist about to see me.... until lately, of course, when I skip it. I miss that ritual very much.
    It's a thing. I've never understood it, but I was on the receiving end of it many times over the years. I've always felt it was up to the doctor to take the patient's lead on that on.

    Grant Hutchison

  11. #13121
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    The dog lost a bone under the sofa. A sectional sofa. I got a broom to get the dog bone out, which also came out with enough dog hair to make a second dog. I haven't done anything physical in days, so I got the vacuum and a mop and bucket. I took the sectional apart, moved it and got to work.

    My wife saw what I was doing and grabbed some stuff to dust, laundry to fold, etc. So weirdo movie night began with the sofa in the middle of the room, with my wife sitting on it doing her part while I do mine.

    The dog is convinced that the sofa is a giant monster and is trying to get us out of there. I can't stop now, only enough time for a quick smoke and a post. The dog is still barking...
    Solfe

  12. #13122
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,306
    My night last night included assembling a cabinet, personally.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  13. #13123
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,306
    My curbside delivery from the fabric store was finally ready yesterday. Five days after I placed it. Okay, fine; they're swamped. But they never sent me an e-mail notification; they just changed my order status on the website to "ready to pick up." And they cancelled four of my items with no notice. And I'm pretty sure that, because one of the coupon codes I used expired between when I placed my order and when I actually got it, I paid more than I was originally supposed to.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  14. #13124
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,529
    All of the SailGP events for the rest of the year are postponed to 2021. :-(
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  15. #13125
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,531
    Boy, am I in the doghouse!
    For the past week or two, I've been clearing out the mess in the garage. Boxes and bins of stuff from both the 2016 move and the 2018 move. Many of them "packed" last minute with a remarkable variety of stuff. Much junk, much not. And also stuff just piled, in particular on a couple of folding chairs.

    I've got it nearly done. My wife just asked about a crocheting project that was sitting on one of those chairs among other stuff.

    The chairs are now empty. I've probably thrown it out. That's frustrating since I've been trying very hard to ask her about everything. Fortunately, nothings gone to the dump in the past couple of weeks so it's probably still in the can. I'm going to go look now.

    ETA: It's found! Hallelujah! I had NOT thrown it out, but taken it into the house in a tote bag! Of course, my wife found it AFTER I sorted through two whole garbage cans.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2020-May-04 at 07:07 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  16. #13126
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,531
    Dang, I'm really tired and depressed. The stress from the above really took a lot out of me. Good thing it's Monday and I can sleep through three hours of Antiques Roadshows!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  17. #13127
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,306
    I've sorted our movies into three categories--Stuff the Kids Can Watch, Stuff the Kids Can Watch With Us, and Stuff the Kids Can't Watch. (Obviously, these categories will change as the kids get older and things get downgraded.) Yesterday, a DVD rack I'd ordered arrived. I went to bring the Stuff the Kids Can Watch With Us pile in to put it on the rack and discovered that Graham had emptied a box of DVDs, mostly the box of "this isn't in its case; find this disc," on top of the pile. So I had to re-sort.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  18. #13128
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,609
    I've been having nightmares. This is partly my fault. I haven't been budgeting my time well, and so am falling behind on my responsibilities.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

    Stephen Colbert.

  19. #13129
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've sorted our movies into three categories--Stuff the Kids Can Watch, Stuff the Kids Can Watch With Us, and Stuff the Kids Can't Watch. (Obviously, these categories will change as the kids get older and things get downgraded.) Yesterday, a DVD rack I'd ordered arrived. I went to bring the Stuff the Kids Can Watch With Us pile in to put it on the rack and discovered that Graham had emptied a box of DVDs, mostly the box of "this isn't in its case; find this disc," on top of the pile. So I had to re-sort.
    I did that with all of our CDs. Now that my kids are all teenagers, those restrictions are largely gone. I've gotten a few comments like: "Wow! That bad. And it sucks... Why did your parents let you listen to that stuff?" from my own kids.
    Solfe

  20. #13130
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I did that with all of our CDs. Now that my kids are all teenagers, those restrictions are largely gone. I've gotten a few comments like: "Wow! That bad. And it sucks... Why did your parents let you listen to that stuff?" from my own kids.
    I'll admit that right now, a few of my movies are in Stuff the Kids Can't Watch because I don't feel like reading them some of my foreign-language movies. It's not that Kurosawa's High and Low, for example, is any worse than a lot of stuff we'll let them watch--though I'm sure they'd be just as uninterested as they are in, say, Columbo--it's that Simon doesn't read fast enough to keep up and Irene doesn't read at all.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  21. #13131
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,529
    Looking up housing near the job I’m supposed to start at the end of the month, I see that while Washington DC proper is nondriver-friendly with busses and subways, working at a National Parks site in Virginia means at least some amount of rideshares.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  22. #13132
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,621
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Looking up housing near the job I’m supposed to start at the end of the month, I see that while Washington DC proper is nondriver-friendly with busses and subways, working at a National Parks site in Virginia means at least some amount of rideshares.
    DC is also driver-unfriendly. According to urban legend anyway, it was designed to be so. After the War of 1812, the British marched along straight roads to the Capitol, so the rebuilders designed the city's less defensible streets as a winding maze.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  23. #13133
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,529
    So it's NON driver-friendly, but also NON-DRIVER friendly. ;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  24. #13134
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    DC is also driver-unfriendly. According to urban legend anyway, it was designed to be so. After the War of 1812, the British marched along straight roads to the Capitol, so the rebuilders designed the city's less defensible streets as a winding maze.
    DC and Buffalo share a trait or two from that time period, both were burned and rebuilt. The British didn't try to burn either city to the ground, they were rather picky about what they burned in DC. Not picky enough, British forces were called to task for settling buildings on fire when they got home. In DC, the Americans set the shipyard on fire in an effort to destroy the munitions, but missed 150 barrels of gun powder. The British tried to destroy it by dropping it to well and it detonated killing dozens. At that point screwing around with fire went out of the minds of the British. A couple of British soldiers were slapped in irons for burning stuff.

    Buffalo didn't get such a fair treatment, some guys set fire to Niagara on the Lake and shot some farm animals when they couldn't find people. They also tagged up some buildings, as if shooting cows wasn't insulting enough. Buffalo was a bit more ramshackle than DC, so it burned better.

    Also occurring during that time period was canal building. Canals radically altered both cities, more than any burning. I did a research project on Buffalo's shipbuilding and was shocked at how many times canals were built, then paved over with roads, then new canals were built just a block or so away. Even more maddening, there was a ship building company with a foundry on the "edge of the canal" called King's Iron. While researching it I discovered that the waterfront moved by several hundred feet. At various times, the facility was landlocked even though it was a drydock and repair facility. Even worse, someone bought the foundry and moved it across the Great Lakes by barge. Twice. Drove me nuts because it was used as both a foundry and a beer manufacturing facility in two different cities. In Duluth it got a fictional* history and in the next city it got a semi-corrected history.

    Both Buffalo and DC were shaped by the Civil War. Buffalo got fleeing slaves and DC received in a lot of freed slaves. Buffalo's geography wasn't effected by this but fed industrialization. DC expand greatly because their population tripled or more. Borders shifted all over the place. The center of the city is largely the same, but you can see the wavy roads all around DC.

    *Other stuff I've found that falls under fake history - Cloud 9 was an amusement park near the town of Olean, NY. There is also another amusement park also called Cloud 9 in Ohio. Both are long gone, but the town of Olean scanned up a bunch of historical information on the park and makes it available to the public. Except a lot of or all of it refers to the one in Ohio. Weird and there is probably no fixing it.

    Freedom, NY has Crystal Lake and a scout camp. Cowlesville, NY has two lakes, Cornelius and Kellogg and a scout camp. (They're named Scouthaven and Schoellkopf Scout Reserve or SSR, respectively). Both were used in the filming of some horror films, mostly as stock footage of cabins and totem poles. Somehow the history of one area has been flopped on to the other and confused with a third scout camp in New Jersey. What is particularly odd is, Scouthaven in Freedom, NY has a train at the bottom of the lake, but no tracks. It's pretty much a swamp. I suppose it could have been an ice harvesting location, but can't confirm that because the NJ town with the camp was an ice harvesting location. SSR was a dairy producing area and was former train depot. Oddly, they used an engine to construct the berms that created the lakes, but there is no train in either lake no matter how many scouts see it while swimming. Many of the buildings and areas in all three camps have the same names, which just adds to the confusion. The town where the NJ camp is was used to film several horror films, so that makes the mess bigger.
    Solfe

  25. #13135
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    DC and Buffalo share a trait or two from that time period, both were burned and rebuilt. The British didn't try to burn either city to the ground, they were rather picky about what they burned in DC. Not picky enough, British forces were called to task for settling buildings on fire when they got home. In DC, the Americans set the shipyard on fire in an effort to destroy the munitions, but missed 150 barrels of gun powder. The British tried to destroy it by dropping it to well and it detonated killing dozens. At that point screwing around with fire went out of the minds of the British. A couple of British soldiers were slapped in irons for burning stuff.

    Buffalo didn't get such a fair treatment, some guys set fire to Niagara on the Lake and shot some farm animals when they couldn't find people. They also tagged up some buildings, as if shooting cows wasn't insulting enough. Buffalo was a bit more ramshackle than DC, so it burned better.

    Also occurring during that time period was canal building. Canals radically altered both cities, more than any burning. I did a research project on Buffalo's shipbuilding and was shocked at how many times canals were built, then paved over with roads, then new canals were built just a block or so away. Even more maddening, there was a ship building company with a foundry on the "edge of the canal" called King's Iron. While researching it I discovered that the waterfront moved by several hundred feet. At various times, the facility was landlocked even though it was a drydock and repair facility. Even worse, someone bought the foundry and moved it across the Great Lakes by barge. Twice. Drove me nuts because it was used as both a foundry and a beer manufacturing facility in two different cities. In Duluth it got a fictional* history and in the next city it got a semi-corrected history.

    Both Buffalo and DC were shaped by the Civil War. Buffalo got fleeing slaves and DC received in a lot of freed slaves. Buffalo's geography wasn't effected by this but fed industrialization. DC expand greatly because their population tripled or more. Borders shifted all over the place. The center of the city is largely the same, but you can see the wavy roads all around DC.

    *Other stuff I've found that falls under fake history - Cloud 9 was an amusement park near the town of Olean, NY. There is also another amusement park also called Cloud 9 in Ohio. Both are long gone, but the town of Olean scanned up a bunch of historical information on the park and makes it available to the public. Except a lot of or all of it refers to the one in Ohio. Weird and there is probably no fixing it.

    Freedom, NY has Crystal Lake and a scout camp. Cowlesville, NY has two lakes, Cornelius and Kellogg and a scout camp. (They're named Scouthaven and Schoellkopf Scout Reserve or SSR, respectively). Both were used in the filming of some horror films, mostly as stock footage of cabins and totem poles. Somehow the history of one area has been flopped on to the other and confused with a third scout camp in New Jersey. What is particularly odd is, Scouthaven in Freedom, NY has a train at the bottom of the lake, but no tracks. It's pretty much a swamp. I suppose it could have been an ice harvesting location, but can't confirm that because the NJ town with the camp was an ice harvesting location. SSR was a dairy producing area and was former train depot. Oddly, they used an engine to construct the berms that created the lakes, but there is no train in either lake no matter how many scouts see it while swimming. Many of the buildings and areas in all three camps have the same names, which just adds to the confusion. The town where the NJ camp is was used to film several horror films, so that makes the mess bigger.
    Thanks for some very interesting little snippets of history. Historical truths are sometimes, probably always, hard to find..

    We have been to Niagara on the Lake and were surprised at the size of Fort Niagara across the Niagara River. Then we were amused by the size of Brock's Monument a bit further down the road, cocking a metaphysical nose at those damn rebels across the river.

  26. #13136
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    DC is also driver-unfriendly. According to urban legend anyway, it was designed to be so. After the War of 1812, the British marched along straight roads to the Capitol, so the rebuilders designed the city's less defensible streets as a winding maze.
    Also, they had to lay out all those inverted pentagrams to get ready for The Coming of the New Master.

    Grant Hutchison

  27. #13137
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,909
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Also, they had to lay out all those inverted pentagrams to get ready for The Coming of the New Master.
    The New Master is here. Got stuck in DC traffic for a few decades but I'm here now.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  28. #13138
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,621
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Also, they had to lay out all those inverted pentagrams to get ready for The Coming of the New Master.

    Grant Hutchison
    Is he flying in through Denver International Airport?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  29. #13139
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    DC and Buffalo ....
    I love Buffalo! My mom grew up there and we visited last summer.

    Err, that would be Buffalo, Wyoming! It was never burned, although the invaders in the Johnson County War might have done so if they'd gotten that far.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  30. #13140
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Thanks for some very interesting little snippets of history. Historical truths are sometimes, probably always, hard to find..

    We have been to Niagara on the Lake and were surprised at the size of Fort Niagara across the Niagara River. Then we were amused by the size of Brock's Monument a bit further down the road, cocking a metaphysical nose at those damn rebels across the river.
    You saw the monument from the wrong angle! From State's side, he's actually flipping the bird.
    Solfe

Similar Threads

  1. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  2. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  3. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  4. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-29, 01:44 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •