Page 482 of 488 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484 ... LastLast
Results 14,431 to 14,460 of 14612

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    It bugs me that you have source material in Comic Sans readily available. The only acceptable excuse would be someone in your house being a primary school teacher, there it's obligatory.

Which reminds me: it bugs me that writing formal reports with a title screen using WordArt is frowned upon in professional environments this millennium. What happened to freedom of expression and sunset gradient filled warped shadow casting Times New Roman...
    Same with all the fun transitions and effects in PowerPoint.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

As long as every letter appears individually and at a pace below anyone's reading speed. Bonus point if the presenter reads the slide literally. Combo bonus if the presenter has to press the space bar again and again to make every new letter appear. I thought about giving bonus points if the presenter was not using presenter view, but that's a given at this stage.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Today is one those days where I can't chose what to do, should take a walk in the woods to find a missing object but feeling a bit tired for that, could go out and read a book or an article.
    Found the missing keys.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It bugs me that you have source material in Comic Sans readily available. The only acceptable excuse would be someone in your house being a primary school teacher, there it's obligatory.
    Well, it is arguably the most abused font in the history of the Internet, going back to some of the earliest home-brewed home pages. But really, I just pulled it out of the air because it was the first to come to mind. I could've picked Algerian, Brush Script MT, or even Arial Black.

Which reminds me: it bugs me that writing formal reports with a title screen using WordArt is frowned upon in professional environments this millennium. What happened to freedom of expression and sunset gradient filled warped shadow casting Times New Roman...
    We have agency-wide branding standards and templates, so merficully, we don't see that as much as in years past. I still use WordArt from time to time, when I need to do something graphic-y...which I don't do often enough to rate an actual graphic design program. For instance, I recently refreshed the design of our district retirement 'plaque': a brass gold pan, with an engrave round insert. WordArt was the only way I had of laying out curved text.

What I am glad to see behind us is the rampant use of Word/Powerpoint built-in clipart. I'm especially glad not to see this guy anymore:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipart.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	26061

...although it became funny for a while in my current position because we had a district manager who bore an uncanny resemblance.

Now, what really bugs me at work are the folks who seemingly can't create an Excel spreadsheet without filling cells with garish primary colors...and lots of them. The eye-neurysm they cause is bad enough but sometimes, you have to print them without color and when the tonal values are the same or similar...
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Ah well, stock photos are the clipart of this millennium. And they're every bit as sterile.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Doh! I was wondering who this Zane person was until this sentence reminded me. I guess I'm still getting the hang of 60.
    I mean, you remember my kids' names, so that's something?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ah well, stock photos are the clipart of this millennium. And they're every bit as sterile.
    Yes...but it's sterile with a lot of variety, at least. There were (and are) a lot of clipart farms from which to download but most people seemed to opt for the convenience of the limited but handy built-in clipart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I mean, you remember my kids' names, so that's something?
    George and Gracie, right? Seriously, I'm kind of surprised that I got Simon's and Irene's names pretty quickly. While I pick up and retain trivia like a velour shirt attracts cat hair, it bugs me that I'm fairly awful with names upon first meeting and shortly thereafter. If I don't make a focused effort to remember, the name could be gone within minutes...maybe seconds.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

My home computer was running exceptionally slowly, so instructed it to restart.

It now says “Getting Windows ready. Don’t turn off your computer”

I don’t know what it is getting ready to do, but it has been “getting ready” for about 15 minutes, so far.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My home computer was running exceptionally slowly, so instructed it to restart.

It now says “Getting Windows ready. Don’t turn off your computer”

I don’t know what it is getting ready to do, but it has been “getting ready” for about 15 minutes, so far.
    some kind of update most likely one of the major updates not the typical security updates, it might take up to a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    some kind of update most likely one of the major updates not the typical security updates, it might take up to a couple of hours.
    It still says the same thing. Fortunately, I can let it run overnight. If this happened during the day, I’d be in trouble for preventing Mrs Extravoice from telecommuting.

Interestingly, it didn’t say “restart and install updates” as it usually does for an update.

I just delay the Windows 10 updates as long as I can, and shut down every night.

However, at intervals Windows will warn you that you have to allow updates sometime soon. At that point I make backups, because I know they'll go ahead without my authorization when I'm not looking.

Likely, after many hours they'll say "Unable to complete! Reverting ... " and take a few more hours to undo things and start the countdown cycle again again.

I'm losing patience!

Another crossword puzzle one today. The clue is "Soccer's ____ Alex Ferguson". The answer is "Alex".

I am not a soccer fan, so I had to look him up to see if the person's name is actually "Alex Alex Ferguson." It's apparently not.

He is, however, knighted, so I assume the clue was supposed to be "Soccer's Sir ____ Ferguson".
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

This is a little more than "bugs" for me, though I'm not sure how much worse than bugs....

I hate a lot of the uses of "ever" and "never". I'll give some examples.

"Will we ever develop Faster-Than-Light travel?"
    Ever is an infinitely long period of time; humans (even expert humans) have a very poor record predicting the next technology or any other event, let alone what might happen in a nameless future. It is a meaningless question, IMO.

"We will never forget <insert tragic event>".
    Of course we will. "We", currently alive humans might not forget it, but how many tragic events do you remember from 100 years ago? 500 years? 5000 years?

OK... rant over. I'll never bring that up again.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    This is a little more than "bugs" for me, though I'm not sure how much worse than bugs....

I hate a lot of the uses of "ever" and "never". I'll give some examples.

Ever is an infinitely long period of time; humans (even expert humans) have a very poor record predicting the next technology or any other event, let alone what might happen in a nameless future. It is a meaningless question, IMO.

"We will never forget <insert tragic event>".
    Of course we will. "We", currently alive humans might not forget it, but how many tragic events do you remember from 100 years ago? 500 years? 5000 years?

OK... rant over. I'll never bring that up again.
    Metaphorical uses of rhetorical hyperbole never ever bother me.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I see this as fundamentally a physics question, not a technology question. Either FTL travel is physically possible or it isn’t. It doesn’t matter how long you wait, if it isn’t possible, no technology will get around that. I wouldn’t say the question is meaningless so much as misdirected - it isn’t a “when” question but a “whether” question (whether or not FTL is fundamentally possible).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Apparently LinkedIn has just added an option where you can say you've spent time as a stay-at-home parent without linking that to an employer. Instead of having one from the beginning.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

There's a three-key combination in Windows that will rotate your screen so that the text runs sideways, or even upside-down.
    (It could be useful if you decide to swivel your monitor to "portrait" orientation rather than the traditional "landscape," but otherwise it's just plain strange.)

Well, our cat, Melissa, has managed to perform this maneuver by walking on Mrs M's keyboard on three (3) occasions.

It's <CTRL> + <ALT> + <Left Arrow, Right Arrow, or Down Arrow>. That's some fancy footwork.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    There's a three-key combination in Windows that will rotate your screen so that the text runs sideways, or even upside-down.
    (It could be useful if you decide to swivel your monitor to "portrait" orientation rather than the traditional "landscape," but otherwise it's just plain strange.)

Well, our cat, Melissa, has managed to perform this maneuver by walking on Mrs M's keyboard on three (3) occasions.

It's <CTRL> + <ALT> + <Left Arrow, Right Arrow, or Down Arrow>. That's some fancy footwork.

Cats are very good at turning their heads sideways. Maybe it wasn't an accident.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I realize that in quarantine, without a lot else going on, I get too emotional about things that have no bearing on my life. I realize I need to avoid reading things online that I know will make me upset.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Cracked.com had a thing today saying tortiseshell cats are almost exclusively female. No, I practically shouted at the screen, that's calicoes!
    So I looked on Wikipedia and learned that it does indeed apply to torties as well. How annoying.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Cracked.com had a thing today saying tortiseshell cats are almost exclusively female. No, I practically shouted at the screen, that's calicoes!
    So I looked on Wikipedia and learned that it does indeed apply to torties as well. How annoying.
    Yeah, it's the basic orange/black mosaicism that comes from having two X chromosomes coding for different colours. The calico just lays a bit of piebalding on top of that.

Grant Hutchison

I suppose I should be happy for today's learning experience!

I suppose I should be happy for today's learning experience!
    The person who dies with the fullest head wins. (But double points are deducted for non-factual content.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The person who dies with the fullest head wins. (But double points are deducted for non-factual content.)

Grant Hutchison
    Any points for things you once knew, but forgot?

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Any points for things you once knew, but forgot?
    I used to be able to answer that.

Watching an old episode of the Waltons and one of the kids has a package of seeds with barcodes on the backside of the package, they really didn't come into use until the 70's.

A couple of weeks ago someone had to try to get the tiller going it was going when I wasn't around. But last Thursday I went got some gas and filled the tank, it didn't start and now all the gas is gone, there is at least a leak somewhere.

Awakened at around 3:30 AM by the cat who'd been let outside hurling herself at our bedroom windowscreen to request being let in. Which is how I discovered that Zane had left the stove on and had himself just been awakened by the smoke detector.

"You can't erase icing."

Hoping this is trivial.
    We ordered from Amazon a couple of days ago. I got a delivery notice e-mail yesterday. Checked the front porch, nothing there. Checked the mailbox, nothing.
    Then I discovered the notice had a picture attached. It shows a box lying on some steps. Definitely not our steps, because we took pains not to have any when having the house built. I THINK I might recognize the steps in question. At a neighboring (unoccupied) house. We live at 192 Tree Street. The other house is at some-odd-number Different-Tree street. I don't think it actually has the number on it.
    I'll go down and see if it's there when I get dressed in a few.

ETA: Found it. Still pretty annoying.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-Apr-20 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Awakened at around 3:30 AM by the cat who'd been let outside hurling herself at our bedroom windowscreen to request being let in. Which is how I discovered that Zane had left the stove on and had himself just been awakened by the smoke detector.
    Woah! Sounds like very non-trivial to me, the smoke part I mean.

Hoping this is trivial.
    We ordered from Amazon a couple of days ago. I got a delivery notice e-mail yesterday. Checked the front porch, nothing there. Checked the mailbox, nothing.
    Then I discovered the notice had a picture attached. It shows a box lying on some steps. Definitely not our steps, because we took pains not to have any when having the house built. I THINK I might recognize the steps in question. At a neighboring (unoccupied) house. We live at 192 Tree Street. The other house is at some-odd-number Different-Tree street. I don't think it actually has the number on it.
    I'll go down and see if it's there when I get dressed in a few.

ETA: Found it. Still pretty annoying.
    The people who live across the corridor from me have a lot of stuff stored out in that corridor. They're not supposed to, but I haven't complained, and we're the only ones on this level, so there's no one else who would complain.

Anyway, they have what looks like a park bench sitting outside their door, and for days, they had a very large delivery box from a local grocer sitting on the bench. I thought it a bit odd, I'd seen them coming and going, so I knew they weren't out of town, so why haven't they taken their box inside? But, it's their box, and it's huge and right next to their front door. There is no way they could not have noticed it. If they want to leave it outside in the corridor where the contents might be going bad, it's not my business.

So one day I went out my door, and the cooking/cleaning person they have was out in the corridor doing something. This very small person promptly picked up this quite large box and walked over to me, asking if it was mine? I looked at the name on the box, and said, no, it's not mine, and I don't recognise the name at all. Which I didn't - for a few seconds. Then a light bulb went on.

The name was printed on the shipping label, and I actually did know the recipient - but the family name as printed was truncated. And it was truncated at a rather awkward place, which made the truncated name seem a different ethnicity. So it took me a few seconds to figure out what had happened. But when I did, I realised it was the people directly beneath them, one floor lower. I know these people, but my neighbours across the corridor apparently don't. So I told her, I know who it is, please let me take care of it.

So I took the box from her and brought it inside. Oddly enough, I had a Zoom event scheduled almost immediately with a small group, which included the designated recipient. So I told her I had her package, and how it came into my possession. So we arranged for me to bring it down (that should take about 15 seconds), which I did. All within an hour or two of when I acquired the box.

But, this box had been sitting there for days, and I learned that in this time, the recipient complained that it hadn't been received, and had already received an apology and a refund.

So after I brought the box down, did she contact the shipper and say, we have found the package after all, and then offer to pay again?

I haven't asked.
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?