Page 435 of 440 FirstFirst ... 335385425433434435436437 ... LastLast
Results 13,021 to 13,050 of 13188

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

"Big", especially talking about countries, can mean many things. Large population. Large wealth. Large land area.

Depending on what the issue is, and in what sense the country is "big", the size can be either an advantage or a disadvantage.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Straying into geopolitics. Don't go there, please. This goes for everyone.
    Really, let's drop the entire topic.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

After deciding about a year ago to replace my vehicle at approximately now, and firing up a new account to save the money, and spending months looking at available vehicles online to get used to what's available and for what prices, and reading/watching advice on the process, and finally deciding to jump on a particular one I'd spotted, and sending off a message to the dealership online, and applying & getting immediately auto-approved for the loan to cover the last bit of the cost my saved-up payment wouldn't cover all at once... I got a response back that the dealership is closed for at least the rest of this month... during which other people will definitely see the vehicle online and also contact them about it just like I did.

Jar Jar Binks. He's the reason I stopped watching Star Wars.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Jar Jar Binks. He's the reason I stopped watching Star Wars.
    Was there some reason you thought of him again after 20 years, all of a sudden?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Was there some reason you thought of him again after 20 years, all of a sudden?
    All the current hype about the last Star Wars movie. My niece has a YouTube channel about Star Wars light sabers and SF props. Can't get into any of it.

Yesterday, I ordered two mattresses from a discount store. (Not a discount mattress store, just generally inexpensive stuff.) I had a 20% off coupon, and the kids need mattresses. It only applied to in-store purchases, including in-store pick-up, but the nearest store is something like a mile and a half from the apartment, so it's not that big a deal. They had two in stock and they'll fit in my van, especially since they're mattresses in a box. Then, on a whim, I threw in a paper towel holder, because we don't have one. It certainly seems like a good way to keep from starting a new roll of paper towels because I can't find the old one, and since we don't use them all that often, it seems silly to have three rolls open at any given time.

Clearly, this was a mistake on my part. The mattresses were ready for pick-up right away. The paper towel holder still isn't. So far as I can tell, I can't pick up just part of my order. I cannot cancel the part that isn't ready yet--I could return it, if I had it, but I can't cancel it. So instead of loading them into the car, then coming home, finishing filling the car, and going to the house to sew yesterday, we mostly sat around here and waited. And waited. And waited. And finally took a load of light-but-bulky stuff, did some organizing, and came home. Hopefully, we will get mattresses today, but who even knows?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When we bought out first home computer (how long ago was that) they tried to sell us additional things with it, but I refused. I told the rest of the family that I didn't want to complicate the billing. "Anything else we need, I'll come back and get it later." I could just imagine that if the thing didn't work and I took it back, they'd say "Well, we'll just cancel your credit card payment of $1,221.05, and ... oh, my, this includes a $3.95 mouse pad, and that's not returnable, so it’ll have to go through our main supplier in Bridgeport … “

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    All the current hype about the last Star Wars movie. My niece has a YouTube channel about Star Wars light sabers and SF props. Can't get into any of it.
    Well, to each their own. I hope you have something you enjoy as much as she and I enjoy Star Wars!

Well, to each their own. I hope you have something you enjoy as much as she and I enjoy Star Wars!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQ-YnYzbSs
    My niece and her Black Kyber Crystal

Amanda's Prop Shop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcO...k35osSTK0ZO_KA

Trivial for now, but could turn non-trivial quickly.

Next door neighbor, who has a prosthetic leg, has decided that today is the day he should cut down a ~50’ tree growing near my property line between our sheds.

He is about about 30’ up a ladder, with a chain saw. Wind speed is 22mph, with higher gusts, and his college-aged son is nowhere to be seen.

This guy is generally amazing, given his leg situation, but I fear he has decided he is immortal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Trivial for now, but could turn non-trivial quickly.

Next door neighbor, who has a prosthetic leg, has decided that today is the day he should cut down a ~50’ tree growing near my property line between our sheds.

He is about about 30’ up a ladder, with a chain saw. Wind speed is 22mph, with higher gusts, and his college-aged son is nowhere to be seen.

This guy is generally amazing, given his leg situation, but I fear he has decided he is immortal.

Have you seen with a sword.https://youtu.be/VEJ8lpCQbyw
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Well, he didn’t get killed, but most of the tree is still standing. Maybe he figured that was enough for one day.

We really don’t have a “Mute Thread” option, huh?

Just keep muting people until peace is achieved. Works on Facebook, works here too. People mute me and they love it!

I’m afraid not. I looked into an “ignore thread” option some years ago and it seems somebody wrote a custom add-on for the BBS software, but it isn’t really something the folks that maintain this board could be expected to bother with, especially as it could introduce bugs. And who knows? It may still not do quite what you or I want.

The only sorta-kinda workaround I found is to go to a forum, read threads I am interested in, then go to “forum tools” and select “Mark this forum read.” I click on unread threads by habit and this helps me with annoying threads. The problem is that if the annoying thread is being updated a lot you might need to do it often.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Apr-12 at 08:06 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I admire the fortitude of anyone who clicks on unread threads by habit. If the title doesn't interest me, or first inspection fails to interest me, I just never click on it again. So when I drop by I click through the few threads that I'm following, and then mark the whole forum read until next time. For no good reason, I'd kind of assumed that's what everyone did.

Grant Hutchison

Mostly , I just check my subscribed threads. Less often, I’ll check unread threads to see if anything catches my eye, or I’ve missed anything that seems important.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I admire the fortitude of anyone who clicks on unread threads by habit. If the title doesn't interest me, or first inspection fails to interest me, I just never click on it again. So when I drop by I click through the few threads that I'm following, and then mark the whole forum read until next time. For no good reason, I'd kind of assumed that's what everyone did.

Grant Hutchison
    I don’t necessarily click on them, there are some that get me annoyed just seeing their titles in “New Posts”.

I don’t necessarily click on them, there are some that get me annoyed just seeing their titles in “New Posts”.
    Well, that's a worry.

Grant Hutchison

21. 2020-Apr-17, 11:32 PM

I was doing some trip planning in Google Maps when I came across a structure that looks like an interferometer...because it is. I hadn't realized that the LIGO Hanford facility is just off of WA 240, on the route we took from Walla Walla to Leavenworth last year and hope to take again come September. Current Unpleasantness permitting. Taking a tour would only be a 12-mile round trip detour. The problem is, tours are offered on the second Saturday of the month. We would drive by on Friday. Just before the first Saturday.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

You ARE, of course, planning to be in Burlington the last Friday and Saturday of September, aren't you!

And if the current unpleasantness is still going on then, holy cow, we're all screwed.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

For a couple of days we have been wondering which house around us had bought a load of manure as there was a bit of a smell around. Then my wife complained that the reticulation sprinkler next door must have broken as there was water on our brick paving. This is a side of the house that we only use to hang out the washing. I eventually wandered outside to have a look only to realise that it was actually water coming up out of what I now know is called a "overflow relief gully".In other words a blocked drain. The smell we had been noticing was from this. There had been a fair bit of rain in the previous few days and this had been hiding what was happening.

So we had to call in the plumbers. What makes this trivial is that it was, luckily, just a fat buildup and he was able to unblock it very quickly and then check the inspection lid further "downstream' to ensure that it was now flowing ok - which it was. So it ended up costing very little, $99, compared to the hassle if there had been tree roots in the drain etc.

What's a "reticulation" sprinker?

We have a blocked drain outside our house at present--an open grate drain into which the grey water from the washing machine drains. I probably haven't kept as close an eye on it as I should. So yesterday I took the cover off and reached into the brimming grey water ... and felt something moving in there under my fingers. The sensation was exactly like touching a trout in the river. I'm not given to hysterical responses (I've told the story before of the parasitic worm crawling on to my hand while I had my fingers in a patient's throat), but I really did snatch my hand back quickly and rock back on my heels on this occasion.
    I suspect whatever is in there is actually inert--it was twenty centimetres down a hole full of dirty soapy water--but I can't quite bring myself to put my hand in again. Today's project is dig the old kayak pump out of the attic and empty the drain for visual inspection.

Grant Hutchison

What's a "reticulation" sprinker?

Grant Hutchison
    I believe its that type of automatic garden sprinkler that rises out of the ground when the water is turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    I believe its that type of automatic garden sprinkler that rises out of the ground when the water is turned on.
    Pretty much correct except that ones in garden beds are often above ground. Many of our gardens are watered by borewater due to the strict water restrictions here. Even the home bores are only allowed to be used three days a week.

My drain takes all the water from the house so I wasn't putting my hand down it! Perhaps you have a lost trout down yours.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I would think it means a raster pattern like the nodding head type although that is a polar pattern not what I associate with reticulated. Ie combed lines.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The word "reticulation" seems to relate to the layout of multiple sprinkler heads, fed by underground pipes.

In these parts, we rely on God's Own Sprinkler System.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    The word "reticulation" seems to relate to the layout of multiple sprinkler heads, fed by underground pipes.

Grant Hutchison
    Ah! Like a street of houses is reticulated for its services. Another lesson for today. Here we had enough of God’s own a couple weeks ago,, but a chance to observe. Here, About 60 m above the sea, we sit on clay, which is on chalk, as seen in Grimes graves. The clay is very variable but an excellent bore hole survey gives the depths, locally its 40 m thick. Adds awe to the geological time awareness. Anyway rain soon forms lakes in the clay which are very slow to drain, they evaporate into the regular winds. I happen to be digging trenches. In the dry the top 200 mm has formed a hard crust while the subsoil is perfect for digging. We can see the soil mechanics happening.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, I have three lines, with separate valves, running from my bore and they feed about 60 sprinkler heads. I do not have very powerful pump so I can only use one line at a time. My block is just over 1000 Sq.Mtrs - near enough to a quarter acre. But it is a corner block so I have an extra verge to water.

Funnily enough, Perth has an average higher rainfall than Dundee - 60 mm more. 733 mm compared to 673 mm. However, we do get 'slightly' hotter in summer and only get around 33 mm's in total for Dec, Jan & Feb combined. It is a typical Mediterranean climate with mild, wet winters and hot, dry summers. Many people have planted 'native gardens' these days which don't require anything like the water my old style one does.

Edited to reply to profloater: Perth sits on extremely sandy soil. Basically the whole city lies on ancient beach sand. Therefore any rainfall almost instantly disappears underground. We have not had any significant floods in Perth for over 70 years.

The nickname those from Western Australia is Sandgropers. There is an actual Sandgroper. It is a "a type of burrowing insect found in Western Australia".
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Apr-21 at 01:51 PM.