Page 504 of 510 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506 ... LastLast
Results 15,091 to 15,120 of 15272

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I posted about that earlier. Fortunately going incognito fixes the problem.
    This kind of action by Twitter makes it less likely I'll sign up, not more.
    Oops. Sorry, I do try to keep up with posts, but have been a little distracted in real life the last few days (nothing major, though). I’m trying to catch up now. Good catch on incognito/private mode, but a bit of a pain on a tablet to switch back and forth.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A couple of years ago, I was interested in the work of some author who was regularly on Twitter. So, I, applied for a free account. I was allowed to browse, and did so, but found nothing, absolutely nothiing worth following up upon. I forgot about Twitter.

A few days later, an e-mail informed me that my Twitter account had been suspended for "suspicious activity." Well, is NO (*zero, zip, bupkiss, zilch) activity suspicious? Apparently so, at least to the Twits in Charge!

I wrote back that browsing once and ignoring thereafter didn't seem to be anything stealthy, or anything for which I was responsible. Well, maybe you Twits can't believe that a browser can sample your (noxious) nectar and at once bail, but that's your problem. Kindly buzz off, drop dead, don't bother me again.

I got some e-mail apologies (some error it would seem), but each time I repeated my litany as to where they could buzz, drop and not.

Eventually the apologies and entreaties stopped. But I'll bet that I'm still be counted as a satisfied twit.

Not so.

I wish it were considered etiquette to screenshot any Tweet being discussed in my Facebook groups, that's all I can say.

Zane is being tested into what this school district calls Talented and Gifted. For reasons, we missed the testing date and have to have him go to the makeup test on the 30th. Then kids who pass the first round of tests will be entered into the second phase on I believe September 1. Since our school doesn't start until September 11 (a Friday? yes, and that's its own annoyance), that's not too bad--except for the part where bus routes are already finalized before the testing is. At his age, TAG kids go to a program at one of the district schools, not just the one that's closest to them, which means special busing is required. Because testing is so late, I will be having to drive him to and from school until probably October, when they're able to rearrange things for these kids. This isn't a "I missed the test date" thing; this is a "one group wasn't talking to the other" thing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Oh goody - another Root Canal treatment on my teeth. Actually this treatment was less painful than the fillings I had done couple of weeks ago as they were just around the gum line. Luckily the pain had only got to a level such that I could just avoid taking paracetamol. The local anaesthetic worked fine and all the pain has gone now the numbness has gone away. So it only rates as a 'trivial' problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Oh goody - another Root Canal treatment on my teeth. Actually this treatment was less painful than the fillings I had done couple of weeks ago as they were just around the gum line. Luckily the pain had only got to a level such that I could just avoid taking paracetamol. The local anaesthetic worked fine and all the pain has gone now the numbness has gone away. So it only rates as a 'trivial' problem.
    I've thankfully only had one root canal so far, but I wouldn't term them trivial. Heal quick.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The thing about root canals, is if you need one it's better to have it than not. Infections in your gums are not a good thing.

Completely unrelated, I have for years been accustomed to putting on a Music Choice channel on the TV as general background noise while I'm not actually watching TV, e.g. reading or napping. A few days ago our cable provider changed it from just a regular channel to something streaming from the web. Or something, I'm not sure. Anyhow, it now takes several minutes to load, a couple more to exit, and in the meantime generally doesn't work anyhow. Quite annoying.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've thankfully only had one root canal so far, but I wouldn't term them trivial. Heal quick.
    Thanks. I have had at least 7 done so I am used to the process. Mine and I assume everyone's, have only been done because I was in pain and they relieve that very well. The one yesterday went very easily, basically painless, and six hours later I was happily eating 'crunchy stuff'. There is no pain today and my mouth feels much better. I still have the final clean-up to go but that process is usually pretty easy as well.

The thing about root canals, is if you need one it's better to have it than not. Infections in your gums are not a good thing.

Completely unrelated, I have for years been accustomed to putting on a Music Choice channel on the TV as general background noise while I'm not actually watching TV, e.g. reading or napping. A few days ago our cable provider changed it from just a regular channel to something streaming from the web. Or something, I'm not sure. Anyhow, it now takes several minutes to load, a couple more to exit, and in the meantime generally doesn't work anyhow. Quite annoying.
    Quite right about the root canal but what I wanted to ask was triggered by your mention of the "Music Choice Channel". Do your larger cities and communities have volunteer run Radio Stations? For example I am currently listening to a local one via the Internet - it mainly caters for the 'seniors' in that it plays mostly music from the 1930's - 1960's. There are some 10 in Perth and about 25 in Western Australia overall. They are usually completely staffed and maintained by unpaid volunteers. They get some funds from our Federal and State governments and raise more via their own activities.

They are like this one :-

https://www.capitalcommunityradio.com/

Well, we have public radio stations and the national public radio network, which gets public funding and also is paid for with donations. The local station does news, jazz and classical music. I’m not an expert on how they are set up, but the local station where I live is called Capital Public Radio:

https://www.capradio.org/

and here is Wikipedia’s entry on NPR:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPR

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Well, we have public radio stations and the national public radio network, which gets public funding and also is paid for with donations. The local station does news, jazz and classical music. I’m not an expert on how they are set up, but the local station where I live is called Capital Public Radio:

Thanks - so NPR seems a lot more 'formal' and bureaucratic system than the stations I listen to. According to that Wiki link each member station also has to have at least five full-time professional employees" so not 'all volunteer' stations. I guess the other public ones operate the same way as here.

I'll see what I can find on the radio, but am not optimistic. Reception here is less than good.

Meanwhile, our supermarket it being "remodeled", as in "lets move everything around so shoppers can't find it and will make more impulse purchases while they wander." Which totally worked on me this morning.

The thread merger means the plain title “Inspiration 4” will not be available to make funny thread title sequences in “New Posts” such as “Inspiration 4 Adventures in DIY”.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post

Thanks - so NPR seems a lot more 'formal' and bureaucratic system than the stations I listen to. According to that Wiki link each member station also has to have at least five full-time professional employees" so not 'all volunteer' stations. I guess the other public ones operate the same way as here.
    As Van Rijn mentioned, National Public Radio (NPR) is the largest network in the US that is sort of what you describe. And yes, it is a lot more formal and bureaucratic. There are about 1000 NPR stations in the US (I had to google that), but very few of them play music as a regular part of their broadcasts; they are almost completely devoted to news (they do have one national music program called "Tiny Desk Concert" where performers come in a perform in studio in front of a tiny audience.

However, there are a few public radio stations in the US that are devoted to music - our county has one, called The Summit (I live in Summit County).

What you describe as "volunteer run radio stations" sound more like what we would call 'college radio stations', which are usually run by students at local colleges and universities, as a volunteer activity, and are very low budget and broadcast at very low power (some barely reach beyond the campus), though I guess with the internet you can reach anywhere now. In the US they are famous for playing very different types, and a wide variety of music, sometimes varying from hour to hour, depending on what the DJ at the moment wants to listen to.

The community stations here are all 'music' ones as far as I know. A couple of the Universities have stations that do play a variety of music and but they have a pretty strong signal covering around 6,500 sq km - the Perth metropolitan area. That community station I linked yesterday can be picked up easily enough about 80km away, plus around the world on the Internet, so it has a fair coverage. There are some smaller ones that will only basically cover a suburb or two but most have a strong signal.

I assume that we have nothing very much like the NPR because we followed the UK example with a Government backed broadcasting commission now corporation. However, it never had a monopoly like the BBC once had and commercial broadcasts started before the ABC ( Australian Broadcasting Corporation) commenced its operations. It does not act as a government mouthpiece - in fact it is usually hated by any party in power because it is independent.

I assume that we have nothing very much like the NPR because we followed the UK example with a Government backed broadcasting commission now corporation. However, it never had a monopoly like the BBC once had and commercial broadcasts started before the ABC ( Australian Broadcasting Corporation) commenced its operations. It does not act as a government mouthpiece - in fact it is usually hated by any party in power because it is independent.
    That is true of the NPR in the US. They do receive some Federal government money, but a lot of their funding comes from individual contributions, corporate sponsors, and money from charitable foundations.

They are most definitely not a government mouthpiece, though of course some people claim they are (usually when they report facts that the complainer finds inconvenient). My impression is that they try very hard to be politically neutral, but they definitely target a more educated audience, and there is likely some differences in the politics of their target audience versus the population as a whole. Sort of like saying there is nothing political about the difference between classical music or jazz, versus country or hip hop, but their are political differences on average among their various target audiences.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    That is true of the NPR in the US. They do receive some Federal government money, but a lot of their funding comes from individual contributions, corporate sponsors, and money from charitable foundations.

They are most definitely not a government mouthpiece, though of course some people claim they are (usually when they report facts that the complainer finds inconvenient). My impression is that they try very hard to be politically neutral, but they definitely target a more educated audience, and there is likely some differences in the politics of their target audience versus the population as a whole. Sort of like saying there is nothing political about the difference between classical music or jazz, versus country or hip hop, but their are political differences on average among their various target audiences.
    I always seek out NPR on my hire car in USA (long time ago now, thanks to Covid) and am delighted that they carry a lot of BBC programming. For me, all the other radio stations in USA are not worth a listen. It comes across as non political although they carry news of course.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Thanks for this. I think that I have also become confused between NPR and PBS. This is what happens when you have only a vague idea of what the organisations in another country actually do.

Thanks for this. I think that I have also become confused between NPR and PBS. This is what happens when you have only a vague idea of what the organisations in another country actually do.
    NPR is radio; PBS is television. (Our NPR plays music for a lot of the day, as I believe did the one back in Pasadena, California. Both stations play jazz when they're not playing news.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    NPR is radio; PBS is television. (Our NPR plays music for a lot of the day, as I believe did the one back in Pasadena, California. Both stations play jazz when they're not playing news.)
    In the greater Cleveland-Akron-Youngstown metropolitan area there are four public radio stations: two are all news (except for the occasional segment on music), one is classical music, and one is the one I described (The Summit) which plays a diverse blend of rock and closely related (or not so closely related) genres.

I'll see what I can find on the radio, but am not optimistic. Reception here is less than good.
    Update: After lunch I turned on the radio and had it search for FM stations. It found six, most likely all from Canada. I'll have to see if I like any of them.
    After that, I decided to try the Music Choice channel again, timing how long it took to load and verifying how badly it worked before I called in a complaint to the cable company. I figured I'd leave it cutting in and out so they could hear it.
    It then proceeded to load in less than a minute and has been playing flawlessly all afternoon. Go figure!
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-Aug-25 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Homophones!

Just a plug for a local station, WCPE, “the classical station”

They got into streaming early on, 24/7

https://theclassicalstation.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, that just goes to show how confused I was!

Update: After lunch I turned on the radio and had it search for FM stations. It found six, most likely all from Canada. I'll have to see if I like any of them.
    After that, I decided to try the Music Choice channel again, timing how long it took to load and verifying how badly it worked before I called in a complaint to the cable company. I figured I'd leave it cutting in and out so they could hear it.
    It then proceeded to load in less than a minute and has been playing flawlessly all afternoon. Go figure!
    My! I certainly posted that too soon!
    Not long afterward it became intermittent again, at which point I made a mistake: I simply turned off the TV. When I turned it on this morning the box was utterly locked up and unresponsive, just displaying a Music Choice screen but without any music or "what's playing" information. I couldn't get out of it and ultimately had to power it down and restart it to regain control.

Today is September 2, and I had occasion to go into the supermarket. Yup, Halloween candy is out on a huge display. It's more than eight weeks off.

Today is September 2, and I had occasion to go into the supermarket. Yup, Halloween candy is out on a huge display. It's more than eight weeks off.
    Wait two weeks; they’ll have the Christmas stuff on display.

They're counting on your buying early, then you (and/or your children) eat it, and you have to buy more. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Well, I bought some because the Reese's pumpkins were on sale at Target. For some reason, the shapes taste different, and they're only available Halloween to Easter.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm getting a lot of passive golf in our house at the moment, it being the Solheim Cup weekend.
    The commentators keep banging on admiringly about a golfer who they claim has "double-jointed elbows".

THERE'S NO SUCH THING.

Thank you. This has been a public service announcement on behalf of Doctors Driven To The Edge Of Reason.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm getting a lot of passive golf in our house at the moment, it being the Solheim Cup weekend....
    Also FedEx Cup weekend. There's a lot to get annoyed about with golf commentating. I could write a book (if only I could write books), which would prominently feature my annoyance with commentators gushing over 'what great shot!" followed shortly with something along the lines of "he's left himself an extremely difficult putt". Probably wasn't such a great shot after all, eh?

Two part annoyance, related. One, I really don't like video news. By that, I mean I'm reading whatever news website I fancy and see an article that catches my interest. Only the 'article' is not an article at all, but a video clip. No. I want to read some proper reporting with proper editing. And two, I really get annoyed if I decide to run a video clip and then have some entirely unrelated video autoplay afterwards after I've moved on to another article (or am reading the article accompanying the first video). Even major news outlets do this and it's annoying.