Page 422 of 435 FirstFirst ... 322372412420421422423424432 ... LastLast
Results 12,631 to 12,660 of 13022

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Definitely a first world problem, but who in their right mind designs tiny, black TV remote controls? They can easily fall behind or under couches, chairs, beds, pillows, or anything else, and are almost impossible to find. Too many times I have resorted to a major search, moving things around and peering all over with flashlight in hand just to find a stupid remote.

Remotes should be reasonably large and light colored - shiny metallic seems best, but other light colors will do. That also gives them room to have a decent number of buttons - the minimalist desings also leave off important functionality.
    I've read that some TV manufacturers are putting lumps of aluminum in their remotes, because they want their remotes to have a certain amount of heft to them.

But I totally agree. Universal remotes aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Not to mention they don't come with an instruction manual.

Actually, you COULD try unplugging one component at a time to see what happens, but I think that would not have been an effective troubleshooting technique.
    A colleague of mine had a good analogy for how we first learned about brain function - by doing post mortem examinations on people who had had brain injuries that resulted in the loss of some function when they were alive.
    He compared that approach to sawing random chunks off your television set to see what happened: "Hey! When I chop off this bit, the screen fills with random white dots. It must be this bit that stops the random dots appearing."

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    I've read that some TV manufacturers are putting lumps of aluminum in their remotes, because they want their remotes to have a certain amount of heft to them.
    My wife and I watch the SpawnWave videos on YouTube, a knowledgeable guy who likes to take electronic devices apart. He has proven, time and again, that heft can be easily added with steel weights located inside videogame controllers, etc.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I can't even figure out how to get our cable box to work with a universal remote--meaning I'm going to have to go digging for the cable remote by Sunday.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Right now a birch tree out my window has its top touching the ground because of all the ice on it, wonering if the power will go out.
    eta: All I need is a pumpkin and I can compete with Trebuchet.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2020-Feb-08 at 02:27 AM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I can't even figure out how to get our cable box to work with a universal remote--meaning I'm going to have to go digging for the cable remote by Sunday.
    Does it use infrared? Logitech makes an inexpensive universal that works with almost all infrared devices, and is a fairly decent remote, but if it isn’t infrared, then you get into custom hardware territory.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Right now a birch tree out my window has its top touching the ground because of all the ice on it, wonering if the power will go out.
    eta: All I need is a pumpkin and I can compete with Trebuchet.
    Our power was out for the last hour or two. But I'm not sure because we have an automatic generator system that runs the lights, internet, and cable so I barely noticed.
    Oh, and you'll need to figure out how to melt all the ice on that birch at once
    Either that or tie it to the ground with a rope or take an axe to it after the thaw.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Does it use infrared? Logitech makes an inexpensive universal that works with almost all infrared devices, and is a fairly decent remote, but if it isn’t infrared, then you get into custom hardware territory.
    It's not the remote that's the problem. It's figuring out what the remote code is for the device and how to program it into the remote!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Our power was out for the last hour or two. But I'm not sure because we have an automatic generator system that runs the lights, internet, and cable so I barely noticed.
    Oh, and you'll need to figure out how to melt all the ice on that birch at once
    Either that or tie it to the ground with a rope or take an axe to it after the thaw.
    The next couple of days are going to fairly cold with a wind chill so it won't be until Monday, but then a lot of trees will be bouncing back. The last time this happened my youngest niece went right up to it and posed for a picture. Hopefully I will get a picture of it tomorrow.
    Eta: the picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0383.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	24869
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2020-Feb-08 at 07:02 AM.

But right now having a bout of insomnia but no wonder had a couple of days of rest. Getting some reading done, almost drained my pen, I do have others.

It's not the remote that's the problem. It's figuring out what the remote code is for the device and how to program it into the remote!
    Exactly. Apparently Comcast doesn't want you doing that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Is this of any help? https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes/

My dilemma has been that the TV, cable box and audio system work by IR but the PS3 DVD player works by a radio signal. So no way to consolidate remotes that I can find.

Typically you look up the box/device and your remote on google or go to the instructions that come with your remote. Or, if your remote has a learning function, you can use that. It usually is pretty easy, though tedious. I have been using universals since the ‘80s. The two key issues are if you use a device that requires a custom (usually radio) remote, or if you have a really low end limited “universal” remote. The Logitech 665 is probably my recommended option for now. I have seen it for $30 or so, it can last longer than the rest of the AV equipment, and has both code and learning options. It isn’t my favorite of all time, but it is probably one of the best options available today. But it needs IR.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Our TV needs a phone app to activate and synch to the remote(s). No smart phone, no TV.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Our TV needs a phone app to activate and synch to the remote(s). No smart phone, no TV.
    That’s ridiculous. What brand/model is it? I am actively avoiding any moderately expensive home appliances that require smart device/internet/remote server interaction. It will only work as long as they keep updating apps for smart devices, keep the servers running, internet access doesn’t change too much (old PDAs, if anyone still wanted to use them, won’t work with current wifi encryption standards, and old wifi standards get depreciated too). With a well known brand, you can maybe count on five years or so of functionality. It is a new type of product obsolescence. TVs, refrigerators, ovens, etc. shouldn’t need to be very “smart” or connected.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Typically you look up the box/device and your remote on google or go to the instructions that come with your remote. Or, if your remote has a learning function, you can use that. It usually is pretty easy, though tedious. I have been using universals since the ‘80s. The two key issues are if you use a device that requires a custom (usually radio) remote, or if you have a really low end limited “universal” remote. The Logitech 665 is probably my recommended option for now. I have seen it for $30 or so, it can last longer than the rest of the AV equipment, and has both code and learning options. It isn’t my favorite of all time, but it is probably one of the best options available today. But it needs IR.
    Our universal remote has a list of product codes and a learning function, but also a rather nice "quick and easy" setting mode. You turn the device on, tell the remote the manufacturer it's dealing with, and then point the remote and hold down the "off/on" button. The remote then cycles through the various "off" signals it knows at three-second intervals. You release the button when the device turns off, and the remote retrieves all the other settings associated with that successful "off" signal. Worked like a treat for me, apart from having to program the "pause" button for the cable box. Obviously diminish returns set in when your devices are newer than your remote.

Grant Hutchison

One weird thing about my TV and the universal remote that came when we changed cable/internet companies, is that when you use the universal remote it changes a setting on the TV. You press the button and when you turn on the TV the next time it is on TV setting and no the HDMI setting, my way around this is just turn the TV off with its own remote.

Trivial stuff that bothers me? There's a lot, but more recently it getting an Amazon bill that doesn't itemize purchases by products bought but rather by the purchase code numbers.

Look, I know the way to do it; for some reason, Comcast doesn't want to give out the codes. That remote-programming page up there only works on Comcast remotes.

"You can't erase icing."

Look, I know the way to do it; for some reason, Comcast doesn't want to give out the codes. That remote-programming page up there only works on Comcast remotes.
    That's because you're supposed to pay for a service call. And spend the day at home waiting for them to show up.

Blessedly, I found my remote--and hooked the cable up to the current TV, which it turns out we hadn't done yet.

"You can't erase icing."

Blessedly, I found my remote--and hooked the cable up to the current TV, which it turns out we hadn't done yet.
    In the late 1990s, someone (Magnavox?) made a remote control that would beep if you turned on the TV using the front panel button.

My employer purchased several for lab use. Unfortunately, remotes in several bays would chirp if someone manually turned on a TV anywhere in the vicinity. Apparently, the alarm was not set-specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I just learned that, on "Star Trek: Picard", Commodore Oh is played by Tamlyn Tomita and Admiral Clancy is played by Ann Magnuson.

Either people are changing more than they used to, or my ability to recognize actors is starting to fail me.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I just learned that, on "Star Trek: Picard", Commodore Oh is played by Tamlyn Tomita and Admiral Clancy is played by Ann Magnuson.

Either people are changing more than they used to, or my ability to recognize actors is starting to fail me.
    In my case, my ability to recognize actors has been lacking pretty much forever. I have a problem with actual people, too.

Had to clean all the cat hair off my keyboard using an old toothbrush.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Had to clean all the cat hair off my keyboard using an old toothbrush.
    I've done that. The trick is to rinse it really well before putting it back in the wife's toothbrush holder.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've done that. The trick is to rinse it really well before putting it back in the wife's toothbrush holder.
    Give him a had folks, he's here all week! And tip those waiters, they work hard for the money.

I'm constantly picking up little wads of cat hair from all over the house. It's the new house, with hardwood floors. The old ones had carpets and I didn't have to do that. Oh. Those carpets.....

I am never having carpets again.

We have dogs. Our old ones used to leave tumbleweeds of hair all over the hardwood floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    We have dogs. Our old ones used to leave tumbleweeds of hair all over the hardwood floors.
    slinger! You shave the new ones?