Page 497 of 501 FirstFirst ... 397447487495496497498499 ... LastLast
Results 14,881 to 14,910 of 15030

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That bugs you? That made me laugh when I read that. Mind you, I doubt I’ve actually ever watched anything on Lifetime.
    I’ve read the Lifetime summaries on the program guide and my reaction has varied from “no” to “heck no!”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I’ve read the Lifetime summaries on the program guide and my reaction has varied from “no” to “heck no!”
    That means, with 99.9% certainty, that you are male. Lifetime has a very definite target audience. Other channels go the other way.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That bugs you? That made me laugh when I read that. Mind you, I doubt I’ve actually ever watched anything on Lifetime.
    Yes, it seems like the sort of thing Father's Day actually needs.
    Mind you, my family has always treated Father's Day and Mother's Day with amused contempt, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Mind you, my family has always treated Father's Day and Mother's Day with amused contempt, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

Grant Hutchison
    Is there anything you DON’T treat with amused contempt?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Here we are again: English words I've known for decades but never heard pronounced. And now that I do, it's totally different from what I had in mind!

I always thought "comparator" was com-PAH-rah-tor (all vowels short, second one stressed).
    I just heard compuh-RAAH-tor (third vowel long and stressed). And this was a fine British gentleman, so it MUST be correct!
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Here we are again: English words I've known for decades but never heard pronounced. And now that I do, it's totally different from what I had in mind!

I always thought "comparator" was com-PAH-rah-tor (all vowels short, second one stressed).
    I just heard compuh-RAAH-tor (third vowel long and stressed). And this was a fine British gentleman, so it MUST be correct!
    No, I am with you, emphasis on par, for over fifty years.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

For some reason I still remember the first time I tried saying “rendezvous.” Well, I guess it was a little embarrassing which might be why I remember it. I was telling friends about this new book called Rendezvous with Rama. I knew I couldn’t be saying it right, but I was saying something like “Ron-dez-vooz.” I did take French after that and forgot most of it. I’ve run into that issue a number of times, my reading and writing vocabularies are larger than my spoken one.

I’d say it as “come-pair-uh-ter,” similar to how I would say “compare.” The free dictionary has American and British pronunciations:

https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/comparator

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That means, with 99.9% certainty, that you are male. Lifetime has a very definite target audience. Other channels go the other way.
    And even most women I know don't care for the Lifetime stories. Too ...Lifetime-y.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

COM-puh-rate-ur, I'm afraid. All vowels short, emphasis on the first syllable. The Oxford English Dictionary agrees with me. I hear com-PAH-rah-tor a lot. Never heard com-pu-RAAH-tor.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Is there anything you DON’T treat with amused contempt?
    My family? A fairly limited repertoire of contempt. But amused indulgence for a lot of things others take very seriously, certainly. My father occasionally used to quote his old squadron commander: "Everything matters, but nothing matters awfully." We all of us have (or had) interests to which we devote(d) a great deal of care and attention, but we all appreciate(d) that these are simply things that interest us, not matters of Pressing National Importance.
    There are, of course, things that I do take seriously (it would have been difficult to do my job otherwise, if nothing else). But I tend not to share those topics on the internet much. A few have leaked out here, over the years, but not many and not for long.

Grant Hutchison

There are, of course, things that I do take seriously (it would have been difficult to do my job otherwise, if nothing else). But I tend not to share those topics on the internet much.
    This puts you in the minority, I think. Most people like either to emphasize what's important to them, and leave the lesser interests until later in the conversation. or the other way, to make small talk at first and as you get more comfortable with someone, to share bigger things. You seem to be Steady State.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    And even most women I know don't care for the Lifetime stories. Too ...Lifetime-y.
    For a lot of the women I know, they're silly fun.

As for Fathers' Day . . . I like the general concept. I like the idea of most days that are about celebrating a single actually important thing. (My feelings on "Bosses' Day" are unprintable.) Valentine's Day? If you have a partner who's not good at romantic gestures, having a day for those might mean having a day where your relationship feels valued--you know it is, but sometimes, it's nice to be told. Likewise Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day; my kids are not appreciative souls, Gods love them, because they are young children. But "we made this in class!" is at least . . . something?

But I don't have to think very hard to come up with friends who have toxic relationships with their parents. One or both. They might like a little break from "aren't dads awesome?" when, for example, their father has neglected them for almost their entire life in favour of their stepsisters and skipped their wedding for . . . reasons. And goodness knows Lifetime has that store of movies available.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'd put the accent on the second sylable myself. But I don't think I've ever used the word in a sentence, either orally or written.

Grant Hutchison
    I actively dislike Mother's Day and Father's day now that mine are no longer living.

Oh, and about those days: Should it be Mother's Day, Mothers' Day, or just Mothers Day?

Oh, and about those days: Should it be Mother's Day, Mothers' Day, or just Mothers Day?
    In the USA, it's Mother's Day by presidential proclamation. Likewise for Father's Day.
    The UK Government seems to take less interest in these things, so I think we get to choose whichever we like.

Grant Hutchison

15. 2021-Jun-21, 04:30 PM

I don't know about that.

Let "X" be "male", and "Y" be "reacts with 'no' to 'heck no!'". Then the assertion is

But

But we can rewrite this as

So we need

which means

or

The number on the right is really small, about 0.001001. So rearranging a bit, we get

Now if the numbers of men and women are equal, then the right-hand side has to be about 0.0005005 or less. Which means out of the half of the population that are women, only 0.0005005 (or fewer) react with "no" or "heck no!". That means out of the half of the population that are women, at least 0.4994995 do not react with "no" or "heck no!" - almost all the women.

Now you can make this less extreme if there are more men than women, let's say the population is 90% men and 10% women, then the right-hand side could be as high as 0.0009009, so that out of the 0.1 of the population that are women, at least 0.0990991 do not react with "no" or "heck no!". So even with this extreme demographic, if only 1% of the women react with "no" or "heck no!", then the probability of being male (conditional on the reaction) is less than 0.999. With the original 50/50 demographics, it is more like 0.1% of the women who are allowed to react with "no" or "heck no!".

I'm pretty confident the percentage of women who react with "no" or "heck no!" is a lot more than 1%.
    You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and I won't have it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... But "we made this in class!" is at least . . . something? ...
    Which is why our daughter doesn't look forward to those special days. She teaches kindergarten and has to come up with the gift idea and supervise (and often do the grunt work for) making those mementos. Father's Day was a printed poem with the child's handprint, mounted in a picture frame. The kids did the handprints, she did the rest.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Which is why our daughter doesn't look forward to those special days. She teaches kindergarten and has to come up with the gift idea and supervise (and often do the grunt work for) making those mementos. Father's Day was a printed poem with the child's handprint, mounted in a picture frame. The kids did the handprints, she did the rest.
    And some kids may not have fathers, at least not ones they live with.

All "holidays" that involve compulsory displays of emotion regardless of how the compelled individual actually feels or would actually express it himself/herself should be banned. They're psychological slavery.

But even that sort of compulsory fakery isn't as bad as using such a "holiday" to show a bunch of movies that are nothing but propaganda against members of the group that the "holiday" is supposed to be for.

And some kids may not have fathers, at least not ones they live with.
    Anecdotally, I'm aware through teachers among friends and family that some schools have ceased to draw pupils' attentions to Mother's Day and Father's Day. Even in the absence of bereavement, separation or imprisonment, the modern model of what constitutes a family doesn't necessarily involve distinct "mother" and "father" roles.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    All "holidays" that involve compulsory displays of emotion regardless of how the compelled individual actually feels or would actually express it himself/herself should be banned. They're psychological slavery.
    I wouldn't call it slavery, as the only "punishment" for not conforming is mild social irritation at worst. But I do think holidays promoting performative celebration of traditional roles should go. Their time has passed.

When a friend of ours gave birth, she got a "my daddy is the best" pacifier from the hospital. Baby's got two mommies.

When a friend of ours gave birth, she got a "my daddy is the best" pacifier from the hospital. Baby's got two mommies.
    I saw a couple of guys wheeling a baby through the park last summer. The baby was wearing a T-shirt with a caption that read "Mother, Schmother". I gave them a quizzical smile, they each gave me a "yes indeed" nod.

Only fifty years since The Naked Civil Servant. Life is in many ways amazing.

Grant Hutchison

I saw a couple of guys wheeling a baby through the park last summer. The baby was wearing a T-shirt with a caption that read "Mother, Schmother". I gave them a quizzical smile, they each gave me a "yes indeed" nod.

Only fifty years since [I]The Naked Civil Servant[/I]. Life is in many ways amazing.

Grant Hutchison
    A great TV film with an excellent performance by John Hurt. His final declaration of what he considered himself to be is one I always remember with a smile. But it is also one that I am bit diffident to quote. I didn't want to believe the 50 years at first but the book is now 53 years old and the film 46. And I also see that the Executive Producer was the legendary Verity Lambert.

Anecdotally, I'm aware through teachers among friends and family that some schools have ceased to draw pupils' attentions to Mother's Day and Father's Day. Even in the absence of bereavement, separation or imprisonment, the modern model of what constitutes a family doesn't necessarily involve distinct "mother" and "father" roles.
    Zane's teacher specifically mentioned that some of the kids might have two fathers, or zero fathers.

Like I said, I like having a designated day. People who don't like it actually are free to ignore it. Those who need the reminder to show others that they care might in fact do it for once. Is there too much pressure? Sure. But I still like it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I just opened a new jar of Adams Peanut Butter. I really hate stirring the oil in for the first time!

This puts you in the minority, I think. Most people like either to emphasize what's important to them, and leave the lesser interests until later in the conversation. or the other way, to make small talk at first and as you get more comfortable with someone, to share bigger things. You seem to be Steady State.
    It seems to be a common enough attitude among those of my age and culture.
    It depends, ultimately, on how a person relates to the internet, and whether the concept of "internet friend" strikes one as an oxymoron (my feeling) or an intuitively obvious concept.

Grant Hutchison

It depends, ultimately, on how a person relates to the internet, and whether the concept of "internet friend" strikes one as an oxymoron (my feeling) or an intuitively obvious concept.
    The internet, and specifically this forum, provides more than half my social interaction outside of a handful of in-person friends. That's been the case since long before the pandemic. So my view of it is probably atypical.

I read that as "in-prison friends" and felt like I missed a wee little detail about your life.

Grant Hutchison
    The internet, and specifically this forum, provides more than half my social interaction outside of a handful of in-person friends. That's been the case since long before the pandemic. So my view of it is probably atypical.
    Way more than half for me. I've always been an introvert anyhow, and since I retired I don't see people to talk to very often. I'd like to count Grant as an "internet friend", but fear offending him.

I read that as "in-prison friends" and felt like I missed a wee little detail about your life.
    My only prison is mental.