Page 102 of 435 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 13030

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We have flickers all the time; probably about once a month, so I've done lots of clock resetting (most recently, yesterday). The funny thing is that different clocks have different amounts of capacitance, so depending on how brief the flicker is, not all may need to be reset. And different clocks react differently to the power returning - some go to 12:00 and stay there, others will go to 12:00 and run from there. The one by my wife's side of the bed seems to have a high capacitance and will often show the correct time, but will still be blinking in a "fix me" mode.
    We have one in the bedroom at our alternate location that not only projects the time on the ceiling, but sets itself automatically from WWV. That's pretty cool, except that you can't see the projection when it gets light and in order for the projection to be correct the clock has to be on the headboard behind us, where I can't see it easily. The one in the bedroom at the primary location is old and the "forward" setting buttons (slow and fast) don't work. You have to go backward and if you overshoot, it's hold the buttons down for another 24.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    Set one alarm for midnight and trip the breaker. That's how I do the one in the kitchen. (It's actually on a switch)
    Doesn't work with wind-up clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Doesn't work with wind-up clocks.
    A power outage shouldn't create the problem with them.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

It could if you couldn't find it in the dark to rewind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We have flickers all the time; probably about once a month, so I've done lots of clock resetting (most recently, yesterday). The funny thing is that different clocks have different amounts of capacitance, so depending on how brief the flicker is, not all may need to be reset. And different clocks react differently to the power returning - some go to 12:00 and stay there, others will go to 12:00 and run from there. The one by my wife's side of the bed seems to have a high capacitance and will often show the correct time, but will still be blinking in a "fix me" mode.
    I had a clock do that once; all I had to do to get it to stop was push the "time" button, which is the first step to changing it. I didn't have to then press "minute" or "hour."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ha ha! Minus three points for giving a sensible answer to a silly comment!

It is not so much that I am up at seven; I have a baby now, and that will happen. It is that my mother will be here in three hours or so (with my younger sister, which is a whole other issue), yet it appears that I will not be getting any more sleep before then. Mom keeps saying that she understands how much rest I need; she had three c-sections, after all. However, she is one again ignoring that I am not a morning person at the best of times and has said she will be here around ten. Which means my brain is doing that "we need to be awake before [X]; now is before [X]!" thing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

In pretty much every supermarket, there's a "Hispanic Food" department. Apparently, "Mexican Food" is not politically correct, and I'm not usually one to complain about PC stuff. "Hispanic Food" would claim to represent most of the western hemisphere south of the USA, as well as much of the Caribbean and Spain itself. It doesn't. Of course, it isn't really Mexican food either. It's closer to Tex-Mex but is really Americanized-Mexican food.

And the "Asian Food" section is pretty much as bad.

Disclaimer: I like both types, very much.

Space Dive still not being out on DVD.

We have a cookie tray in the hotel lobby. We bake the cookies here from pre-made dough. The woman in charge of the kitchen was kind enough to make triple the normal number because this is a busy week for all hotels in the Salt Lake area.

Why does this bug me? Because peanut butter cookies and white chocolate/macadamia nut cookies should not the same color, but they are. You can't spot the snicker doodles because the cinnamon topping is the same color as the underlying sugar cookie. She's even managed to make the oatmeal raisin cookies, so naturally foul they can't be made worse, worse. And she made a pile of them. That means there won't be a need for the woman who actually pays attention to the timer to make any on Friday, which means there will more shingles made next week.
    I'm Not Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We have one in the bedroom at our alternate location that not only projects the time on the ceiling, but sets itself automatically from WWV. That's pretty cool, except that you can't see the projection when it gets light and in order for the projection to be correct the clock has to be on the headboard behind us, where I can't see it easily. The one in the bedroom at the primary location is old and the "forward" setting buttons (slow and fast) don't work. You have to go backward and if you overshoot, it's hold the buttons down for another 24.
    Launch them cum catapulta. Then say "My, how time flies!"

Regards, John M.

The water faucet in the lobby bathroom is on a motion sensor switch, like the toilets that flush the user leaves. You put your hands under it an the water starts. In theory. In practice, it takes about five passes to get the water to come on and by the time you do get it, you look like a stage magician or a crazed Marionette diver. Unless you're just pouring a drink down the drain. then the water comes on instantly, deflecting off of the thing you're pouring out, shooting across the surface of the counter, and nails you right between the pockets. There's no temperature selection either, so the water always feels a little cold. Sometimes more so than others.
    I'm Not Evil.

Yeah, I've no real problem with functional automatic sinks except the lack of a temperature control.

"You can't erase icing."

...when it's 11:12 p.m. local time, I can't sleep, must work tomorrow.

And the package I'm expecting is still stuck in Dallas, Tx.

'Night!

When your GPS receiver announces:

"The travel delay on your route is now 45 minutes. You are still on the fastest route."

Really?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Danscope is feeding himself on North Carolina barbecue here in Charlotte.But I can't get quite the same thing back home.

I don't see that many commercials these days since I DVR everything, but occasionally, and this has been happening over the last few years (current advertising trend, maybe) car commercials compare their companies to past radical innovators, current creative thinkers, artists . . .

You're a car company, bull.

Sticking smartphone technology and video cameras into a car and comparing yourself to the inventor of radar . . . Now if they'd actually put their wild concept cars (like the Renault Raccoon, from '92; or the GM Hy-Wire, from '03) into production without multi-decade delays between experimentation and production, I could change my mind about them.

I've seen those commercials. I can't remember the term they use, but they don't claim their engineering is creative, or innovative, but rather somehow gutsy.

I also hate the ones that claim that "love" makes their car what it is. Not that their employees love making cars, or you'll love driving them, just "love" in general.
    Maybe they keep a bucket of the stuff handy and sprinkle it on the cars as they exit the assembly plant.

I know car manufacturers are trying to sell an image as well as a product, but some seem to have devolved into only selling the image.
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2013-Aug-04 at 09:24 PM. Reason: cleaned up second sentence
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

19. 2013-Aug-04, 09:42 PM
    Reason
    It bugs me that I posted in the wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I know car manufacturers are trying to sell an image as well as a product, but some seem to have devolved into only selling the image.
    Oh, man! Those Fiat 500 Abarth commercials that personify their car with an "exotic" European (Italian?) woman.

I thought they were highly inappropriate, even as a hetero male that's never taken a Women's Studies course in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Oh, man! Those Fiat 500 Abarth commercials that personify their car with an "exotic" European (Italian?) woman.
    But she's got a scorpion tattooed on her! A SCORPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I also hate the ones that claim that "love" makes their car what it is. Not that their employees love making cars, or you'll love driving them, just "love" in general.
    Maybe they keep a bucket of the stuff handy and sprinkle it on the cars as they exit the assembly plant.
    "The secret ingredient in the Flaming Moe is . . . love? Who programmed this computer?"

Both the restaurants where we generally go to dinner after closing on Saturdays of faire are closed. We're either going to have to find new local options or else be reduced to chains, and most of the chains closest to the faire site are fast food. Last night, we had dinner at Panda Express, because it was eight o'clock at night and we were starving and the restaurants (which were right next to each other in a strip mall) were now a construction site.

"You can't erase icing."

I've never eaten panda meat before, is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "The secret ingredient in the Flaming Moe is . . . love? Who programmed this computer?"

Both the restaurants where we generally go to dinner after closing on Saturdays of faire are closed. We're either going to have to find new local options or else be reduced to chains, and most of the chains closest to the faire site are fast food. Last night, we had dinner at Panda Express, because it was eight o'clock at night and we were starving and the restaurants (which were right next to each other in a strip mall) were now a construction site.
    A bunch of us on a business trip some years ago ended up eating at a Hooter's for about the same reason.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Have you ever received one of those sheets of return address labels for free? I receive them in the mail all the time, but I only keep two or three sheets on hand. I don't mail things too often and when I do, I tend to print my own custom envelopes.

Today I had to mail in a ticket to village court, which also happens to be the police department.

I was in a hurry so I hand wrote the envelope and grabbed a return address label. I checked twice and discovered I only had labels with snakes or wolves. Of course, it would have been more efficient to complete the envelope by hand, but no, I had to make a choice between mailing the town court and police department a wolf or a snake.

A cobra? To aggressive. Grey wolf, to sad. Black wolf, wrong message. Some sort of constrictor? No thanks. Finally I settled on a white wolf on a sunny background. I hope they think it is some sort of Pyrenees.

Yesterday, I took my last dose of Chantix. I have a feeling it melted and fused some part of my brain.
    Solfe

When the lady at the local bakery puts cake-doughnuts in the same box as the glazed ones...
    I have a family member that can't eat glazed pastries.
    Last edited by Cookie; 2013-Aug-06 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I have a family member that can't eat glazed pastries.
    Hmm... can eat pastries but not glazed.... sounds like an affectation not an affliction..

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Have you ever received one of those sheets of return address labels for free? I receive them in the mail all the time, but I only keep two or three sheets on hand. I don't mail things too often and when I do, I tend to print my own custom envelopes.

Today I had to mail in a ticket to village court, which also happens to be the police department.

I was in a hurry so I hand wrote the envelope and grabbed a return address label. I checked twice and discovered I only had labels with snakes or wolves. Of course, it would have been more efficient to complete the envelope by hand, but no, I had to make a choice between mailing the town court and police department a wolf or a snake.

A cobra? To aggressive. Grey wolf, to sad. Black wolf, wrong message. Some sort of constrictor? No thanks. Finally I settled on a white wolf on a sunny background. I hope they think it is some sort of Pyrenees.

Yesterday, I took my last dose of Chantix. I have a feeling it melted and fused some part of my brain.
    I don't see a problem with either the snake or the wolf. Now a pig might have been trouble.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I'm bugged at the moment that while out for a walk a short while ago I thought of a great post for this thread and have now forgotten it!

I'm getting really tired of the question, "Is this your first?" For one thing, I'm not sure how to answer--he has an older sister, but I'm not raising her and haven't even seen her in two years. For another, it's an example of how being a mother somehow makes you public property. Is it really the business of a random stranger in the library?

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'm getting really tired of the question, "Is this your first?" For one thing, I'm not sure how to answer--he has an older sister, but I'm not raising her and haven't even seen her in two years. For another, it's an example of how being a mother somehow makes you public property. Is it really the business of a random stranger in the library?
    You're taking him into the library? Does he already realize that it's supposed to be quiet there so that he doesn't cry or otherwise make noise when being there?