Page 151 of 413 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 12378

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Waiting for people at the gym who seem to think that the time in between sets should match the length of time it takes to read a novel. That bugs me almost as much as this one particular guy who completely ignores the hygiene standards. When you sign up they tell you that you are supposed to go get a disposable towel, spray it down, and then wipe the machine off. This guy gets a dry towel, puts it on the set, rests his sweaty rear end on the towel, proceeds to do his sets with about ten minutes between each set, then wipe the machine down with the same towel that has been soaking up his butt sweat. Gross, seriously!
    This bugs me as well! If you want to read a novel, listen to your Ipod, or have a conversation on your cell phone, can you at least do it while NOT sitting on the machine and let someone else use it to actually get in some exercise? And you really should only rest 30 seconds - 1 minute between sets, not half an hour...

Maybe not so trivial: I'm trying to figure out a mathematical problem I'm having, but all the wiki and other online resources I can google on a possible way to solve it (quaternions) seem to be written from the perspective of someone who knows the concept already aimed towards someone else who knows the concept already. Maybe I'm getting something wrong or missing something very fundamental, but I just can't find anything that gives me a good introduction to the subject and how to apply it to a real-world problem.

Quaternions are those Nostradamus writings, right?

ETA: Nobody can understand those, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2014-Apr-29 at 12:32 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    Maybe not so trivial: I'm trying to figure out a mathematical problem I'm having, but all the wiki and other online resources I can google on a possible way to solve it (quaternions) seem to be written from the perspective of someone who knows the concept already aimed towards someone else who knows the concept already. Maybe I'm getting something wrong or missing something very fundamental, but I just can't find anything that gives me a good introduction to the subject and how to apply it to a real-world problem.
    I am not sure what that is but have you tried Kahn Academy? That site has helped me in just about every academic rut.

No, I'd never heard of Khan Academy before. It's an interesting site. It didn't have the info I was looking for, but it did have helpful links in the comments. Thanks!

I'm working on a somewhat silly project (details in a week or two) and just primed some wood. I bought the wrong paint, oil based instead of latex. And didn't realize it until it wouldn't wash out of the brush. Since I don't have any mineral spirits, there's one $0.69 brush I won't get back!
    (I do have acetone, but figured the value of the acetone used would exceed the brush!)

ETA: Might as well go for a twofer. You know those expanding garden hoses that are advertised so much on TV? I had one blow up in my face earlier this afternoon. No big deal, just got a little wet. Should have known better than to buy it at Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2014-Apr-29 at 11:33 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Since I don't have any mineral spirits, there's one $0.69 brush I won't get back!
    (I do have acetone, but figured the value of the acetone used would exceed the brush!)
    I've done that on purpose on several projects, just used a cheap brush that I threw away. Figured it was easier and maybe more environmentally friendly than trying to dispose of the used mineral spirits.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yup. That's pretty much what I was planning anyhow.

Today's moment of sadness: I've eaten the very last of the horded Valentines conversation hearts. No more until February 2015! My dentist, of course, would be just fine with that.

The window screens in my house all have a small tag that reads as follows (including carriage returns):
    ! WARNING
    Screen will not stop child
    from falling out window.
    Keep child away from open
    window.
    I have two children. Which one are they referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    And why would the window have a falling out? Is it angry with someone?

That's almost a haiku.

I think all instructions should be written as haikus. For example:

Reporting bad post?
    Click on the report icon
    Tell us what is wrong.

Take a nice piece of oak, varnish it and screw it to and across the window such that it repels a child from falling out the window. Done. And it doesn't cost much.

Which one has greater future earning potential?
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Which one has greater future earning potential?
    Which is more generous?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

When I was 11 or 12, I had a class in school that introduced us to basic carpentry, metalworking, electricity, and even a couple of little projects using plastics. In the electrical section, we were taught how to install switches & outlets like you'll find on all of the walls in all of the homes & businesses & so on in my country, on small bits of mock wall that we had assembled ourselves first. I clearly remember how the electrical connections for the sockets & switches worked: you stripped & bent the end of the wire and hooked it around a post, then screwed that down.

Not long ago, I decided to replace most of the sockets & switches and their cover panels in my home because they were black & beige on white walls. Just as I'd been taught, I threw the breaker to the first one I wanted to work on, checked it to make sure there was no electricity there, took off the little panel around the sockets, pulled out the sockets... and saw a completely unfamiliar connection system, in which the wires completely disappear into little holes in the back. I checked another and a coupe of the switches, too, and they're all the same. There's writing on the back of the things, talking about inserting either a "spring" or a "push wire" into other holes or slots near the ones the wires go into, to release the wires. There seem to be at least two different systems, neither of which was what Mister Swofford had taught me. One type of hole was round and thick enough for a drill bit (the only stiff solid object of the right size & shape I have), but pushing one in there had no effect. The other is so thin I have no idea what could be stuck in there that wouldn't just crumple up as soon as it hit whatever it's supposed to move. The old-style screws on the sides are still there, but I can't use them until I get the wires out first, and if I could do that, it might be best to use the holes again anyway. But whatever tool I need for this, I don't have it, nevermind instructions on exactly how to use it. The new sockets & switches have instructions for installing them, but the instructions only talk about which wires go in which places, not how the mysterious holes work, and the picture looks like it's showing the screws like I was expecting, but that isn't how the old ones are installed right now. And there are no instructions on removing the old ones. I suppose I'll need to cut and re-strip the wires, just leaving the ends stuck in the old sockets & switches forever, but if this new system is supposed to be an improvement, I'd rather use it if I can (and avoid making the wires shorter than they already are).

So for now I have the old black & beige sockets & switches with new white panels around them on white walls. This actually looks better than it did, but the plan was for white sockets & switches, and the new white ones I bought are just sitting here unused.

The "stick - in " outlets were designed for quick and cheap installation, but any good mechanic will tell you that the best connection is to strip and wrap the wire (12 gauge) around the terminal screw and secure it well and properly. A cheap connection makes trouble eventually, in my opinion (reduced and poor contact area) and does not conduct current as well as the proper terminal. That is how I do it , and I recommend it now and always.
    Best regards,
    Dan

What Dan said. If there's enough length, just cut the wires and strip them again. You won't be losing a whole lot of length. Use the screws.

A completely unrelated annoyance:
    This morning I spent about 10 minutes removing some chewing gum from the inside of my moccasin-style slipper. I had discovered it when I went to take the slipper off a couple of days ago and found it stuck to my sock. No big deal, I got it out fine, though the sock is a write-off. Here's what's bugging me: How the heck did it get there? Pertinent facts:
    1. Neither of us EVER chews gum.
    2. It was definitely chewing gum -- distinct spearmint aroma.
    3. It was inside, not outside, the slipper.
    4. I don't recall being outdoors or in the garage in the socks that day. Nor of sticking to the floor before putting the slippers on.
    5. No sign of gum that I've noticed anywhere inside or outside the house.

It's a mystery!

Sounds like some sinister plot by your kitty cat, trying to get more kitty canned cat food. (Cats think differently ).
    Mine hides the socks , and only after lights out. Go figure

Perhaps a subtle hint that your would smell better were they minty fresh?
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

I wish my kids would stop looking at it like; who's going to get away with doing less work, and more like; I don't want to catch hepatitis from my own bathroom. Let me wipe this down. I've been "showing" them house to clean a bathroom, properly, for years. I want them to get used to cleaning so I don't need a hazmat suit to visit them in their own place, someday. It still takes less time to do it myself than it does to sit there and argue over the goop they leave behind in their race to get back to Facebook.

Hey.... I was one of 12 children . Ya think my mum did it all? Nope. She was like a high ranking officer. "You....do this.
    You...fold clothes, you, clean the bathroom." And yes, an allowance was involved, and quality was expected.
    You know, I'm not afraid to use the bathroom or a towel in any of those households. "Cleaning builds character" .
    And yes, the US Navy expects everyone to clean after them. And...... they do.

The window screens in my house all have a small tag that reads as follows (including carriage returns):
    ! WARNING
    Screen will not stop child
    from falling out window.
    Keep child away from open
    window.
    First question: what trait are you screening for? If it is bathroom cleanliness, you can probably do better with the bathtub drain.

The layout of the "coffee station" at my company's HQ was apparently laid out by a dance choreographer.
    • Coffee dispensers are at the far left side.
    • Cups are at the far right.
    • Cup sleeves are on a very high shelf, lids on a very low one.
    • Sugar on the left, creamer on the right...unless you want the powered stuff. That's on the left.
    • etc.

The layout of the "coffee station" at my company's HQ was apparently laid out by a dance choreographer.
    • Coffee dispensers are at the far left side.
    • Cups are at the far right.
    • Cup sleeves are on a very high shelf, lids on a very low one.
    • Sugar on the left, creamer on the right...unless you want the powered stuff. That's on the left.
    • etc.
    Our company just started a program to encourage stretching (as part of our wellness program). Maybe this is their method to get you to stretch.

Almost all Internet and TV news outlets, at least in the US, now do these polls/surveys on various questions relating to issues of the day.

I can understand ones where the consensus of popular opinion might make a different, such as what's your favorite ice cream flavor or do you think Miley Cyrus should put her tongue back in her mouth. Even something like do you believe in Climate Change or ETs makes some sense.

The ones that really annoy me are the ones that quite frankly are not going to be determined by popular opinion, nor does popular opinion have any impact on the outcome. For example, CNN.com is currently asking "Do you think Flight MH370 will ever be found? (yes/no)" Even experts on such matters don't really know the answer. What does the opinion of the general public even matter on this? 99% of the people could say "yes", but that's not going to make it any more likely it will be found.

I was once stopped by a local news reporter and asked one of those man-in-the-street questions. I found that the question was asked in a biased and sensationalistic way, and I told her so, then carefully expressed my opinion on the subject. The reporter thanked me and moved on, but I knew that they wouldn't use my response. I did tune in the news that night, and I was correct about that. Of course every mark who took their bait made the cut regardless of how routine or bland their response.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    What does the opinion of the general public even matter on this?
    The total number of clicks (either way) indicates their readers' level of interest in the story.

They probably don't want to come right out and ask "Have we beaten this story into the ground?"

They probably don't want to come right out and ask "Have we beaten this story into the ground?"
    Actually, that would be an interesting poll.

A current cat food ad that says "The lynx is your cat's ancestor." No, it's not.

My cat must have a lion as an ancester. " Look at the bones !!!"