Page 196 of 410 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,880 of 12299

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Would there be licensing issues with selling them?
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMac View Post
    Watching a college basketball game on TV, and during every commercial break, is a 30 or 60 second spot telling me I should watch that channel.

Does that even make sense? If I wasn't watching that channel, I wouldn't see the spots. I'm already watching that channel, do I need to be encouraged to do so?

TJ
    The Washington, DC, classical music station (which is public radio) runs at least one plug an hour bragging about what wonderful music they play. I always think, 'Yeah, if you were playing it instead of just talking about it." I've mostly switched to the Baltimore station (also public radio but they act like it).
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    The Washington, DC, classical music station (which is public radio) runs at least one plug an hour bragging about what wonderful music they play. I always think, 'Yeah, if you were playing it instead of just talking about it." I've mostly switched to the Baltimore station (also public radio but they act like it).
    Yeah, all the TALK on radio. Those "so-and-so in the morning" programs are enough to make me hurl. And unfortunately Spanish-language stations also have that (breakfast in a Mexican restaurant).

I don't know who wants to listen to all that yap-yap-yap and loud fake laughter. Then again, "Reality TV" has been so popular and I hate that too.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 2015-Feb-18 at 08:48 PM.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    Would there be licensing issues with selling them?
    I have no idea; it doesn't actually seem likely, but I'm not a lawyer. But in the process of my search, I noticed dozens of drawings, small sculptures, weeping angels that were knitted or crocheted, all kinds of choices as long as you were content with something tiny. So it seems likely that the BBC isn't trying to quash any of that. And of course there are numerous examples of statues of angels weeping that predate Doctor Who, it just seems that all of them are bent over a grave marker or other pedestal, with their face buried in their arms (like this one), rather than standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Clearly yes. Now, Graham and I are having a conversation about what materials you'd use.
    I'd expect that most people would be perfectly happy with an inexpensive resin cast. So you could do the sculpting work in clay, or any other medium that you liked working with.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

What's worse than sitting through a 30 second commercial for a 1 minute news story?
    Sitting through a 30 second commercial that is served so poorly that it is choppy and takes 2 minutes to finish (and it's not the connection because the story was fine)

What's even worse than that? It was a commercial for a streaming video service.

I don't know if this bugs me or amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'd expect that most people would be perfectly happy with an inexpensive resin cast. So you could do the sculpting work in clay, or any other medium that you liked working with.
    For a yard sculpture, he's talking about clay, then doing a cast of that, then pouring concrete. It'll be heavy, though.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    For a yard sculpture, he's talking about clay, then doing a cast of that, then pouring concrete. It'll be heavy, though.
    That sounds like it would work well. If Graham does it, post pictures here!
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    On my work smartphone, we use software called MobileIron to access our work e-mail and such.
    Hmm, MobileIron..
    They use that at work for people's BYO devices. Little do they know what it is capable of.
    There is a neat management page on the management server that contains continuously updated GPS coordinates of all managed phones, together with the phone number.

I could easily write a bit of code that picks out the owner's name from the corporate phonebook and then presents each GPS point on a Google map with the person's name tag next to it.

-VoilŠ! World wide Mauruders Map for all employees!

If you save coordinates continuously, you can track back later and see exactly how many hours Steve sneaks off to the cafť per week, and if Sarah actually did go to Hawaii on her holidays like she said..

That app is not going on my phone. If they want something, call or SMS.. I'm not usually paranoid, but.. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by baskerbosse View Post
    That app is not going on my phone. If they want something, call or SMS.. I'm not usually paranoid, but.. :-(
    In my case, it is not my phone, it is the company's phone. I think my other option is to find another job.

Our IT department is so incompetent that I'm not at all worried about them tracking my position. These are people who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without a map and a guide.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My company uses Good for Enterprise.

And that's what I know about it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Wait, is "Gillianren" a combination of "Gillian" and "ren" for Renaissance Fair? Because I have been on this site for more than seven years and I never realized that before, and if that is the case, my own stupidity bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Wait, is "Gillianren" a combination of "Gillian" and "ren" for Renaissance Fair? Because I have been on this site for more than seven years and I never realized that before, and if that is the case, my own stupidity bugs me.
    It is indeed the case. Don't let it bug you...
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My company will allow me to use my phone to access email and such, but I would have to give them undue access to it. That includes, but isn't limited to their turning the phone into a brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    In my case, it is not my phone, it is the company's phone. I think my other option is to find another job.

Our IT department is so incompetent that I'm not at all worried about them tracking my position. These are people who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without a map and a guide.
    Hopefully the MobileIron server doesn't get hacked then.. :-)
    It needs Internet connectivity to work. This Internet connectivity needs to be well secured especially since management is through a webpage..

It also has this neat little feature to remotely wipe any phone.
    Now you have a Marauder's Map with a 'nuke' feature, I can see the potential for some quite nasty pranking..
    I use my private phone for family pictures etc and have spent quite some time setting things up the way I like it. I need it. I need it not to get wiped from the office while I'm using it..
    (High likelihood of this being a firing offence, but that unfortunately there are always some people who think they can get away with 'jokes' like that..)

Using a company phone improves the situation slightly. As long as I have a private one as well.
    (Last time I got a company phone was an iMate JAMin, so I don't have any high hopes for a renewal. Most people these days just use their own anyway for company use..

Anyway, this really is stuff that bugs, me, -'trivial'?
    Perhaps.. Then it's on topic at least. :-)

I actually went out of my way to avoid having a) a company phone; b) access to work e-mail from my personal phone; c) even access to the work network from my home computers. Nor did I take my work laptop home. The farthest I'd go was to very occasionally take work files home on a personal thumb drive. Which enabled me to get the corporate anti-virus and MS Office on my home machine for very little cost.

I take my work laptop home. Every day, even when I'm not oncall (which technically is most of the time).
    I have staff that I put oncall, but I prefer to have my laptop available as well, just in case someone needs help.
    I commute mostly by walking and train, can get a bit uncomfortable with a heavy backpack when temperatures climb towards 40 degrees C. :-/

Another trivial thing that bugs me then: Corporate laptops that are chosen for you that are too big and heavy..
    Last edited by baskerbosse; 2015-Feb-20 at 04:37 AM.

Since most of what I watch on TV is actually on the computer, I'm subjected to ads. That's part of the "cost" and I'm fine with that since I can pop over to another browser or run to the bathroom. Every now and then, an interactive ad pops up. This is one that pauses the ad feed until I provide input, and it's usually the first in the chain.

So, the ad chain starts, and I run to the kitchen for a minutes or tow, then come to see that I need to pick which of the three ads for something I'll never buy I want to sit through, followed by the remaining two minutes in the block.
    I'm Not Evil.

Since most of what I watch on TV is actually on the computer, I'm subjected to ads.
    IIRC, people that watch TV on TV are generally subject to ads, too.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    IIRC, people that watch TV on TV are generally subject to ads, too.
    But you have the option of pausing the TV and then hitting the live button 2 minutes later and never have to actually see them.

At least, some do.
    I'm Not Evil.

But you have the option of pausing the TV and then hitting the live button 2 minutes later and never have to actually see them.

At least, some do.
    Which knob do I turn to do that?

Power.
    Pauses
    Our
    Watching;
    Eventually
    Resumes
    I'm Not Evil.

Funny, the Power button on my remote only turns the power on and off.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Funny, the Power button on my remote only turns the power on and off.
    And if you turn it off at the start of a commercial break, then turn it back on 2 minutes later, (or 2.5, or 3, or as many as 6), you can "skip" ads without needed to get a DVR.
    I'm Not Evil.

At least, some do.
    Two minutes!?! Not on some of the channels I've almost watched! I think you could use 7.5 minutes and still not get past all the commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Two minutes!?! Not on some of the channels I've almost watched! I think you could use 7.5 minutes and still not get past all the commercials.
    That's about right. The average half hour of TV has 22 minutes of show and 8 minutes of advertising, not counting ubiquitous product placement.

They usually break after three or four adverts to remind you what show you're watching (as you've probably forgotten by now) as if that doesn't count, then hit you with another round of commercials, so it can be quite some time before the show resumes. Even going fast-forward through the commercials on a DVR recording, they seem too long to me!

The Discovery Channel has discovered "One Weird Trick" to get people watching more ads: In the middle of a five or six minute stretch of commercials, they stick in a one-minute segment of programming. Slimeballs. Fortunately the only thing we watch there is "Gold Rush" and it's near the end for the season.

ETA: Which is the same thing DonM, who posted while I was typing, is talking about!

Stop that! You'll wear out the tuner.

(Yeah, I'm old)
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

On the topic of TV commercials, I seldom remember most of the advertisers in a hodgepodge of brief spots about unrelated products. That is a far cry from my youth years, when one or two familiar products did it all. By halftime at a football game, there was no doubt about who the sponsors were.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    On the topic of TV commercials, I seldom remember most of the advertisers in a hodgepodge of brief spots about unrelated products. That is a far cry from my youth years, when one or two familiar products did it all. By halftime at a football game, there was no doubt about who the sponsors were.
    Even just the hodgepodge is just noise to me anymore. When I was young, people remember jingles and sang them (I'm sure Swift will remember Roll on Big-O). I haven't seen one that really caught on in decades. Well, maybe one or two, like the filet-o-fish song.