Page 295 of 415 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,850 of 12442

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I wonder if they could have a rule that allows a disabled driver to park on the line between two parks, and use 'em both up, giving the space of a disabled park.

i.e. the way some people (able bodied jerks who are just too uptight about their cars) do who then get their picture on failblog with their car surrounded by trolleys, or chalk announcements about their parentage.

Hopefully the window-card identifying them as disabled would prevent vigilante action.

This would allow fewer dedicated disabled parks, but allow for overflow.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2017-Feb-28 at 07:40 PM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Yeah, in my town, the problem is definitely not too few handicapped spaces. A lot of the places I go routinely have all the handicapped spots filled.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    OK, I may be wronging the lady. She left about 10 minutes before me today, but the car I thought was hers was still there when I left. I thought I had seen her getting into it once but may be mistaken. Unless she went into the clubhouse or pool.
    This morning's evidence: The car wasn't there today. Neither was she. But the man I think is her husband drove up in a different vehicle while I was leaving, and parked in the handicapped space.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This morning's evidence: The car wasn't there today. Neither was she. But the man I think is her husband drove up in a different vehicle while I was leaving, and parked in the handicapped space.
    How is "handicapped" parking regulated? In my country you need to apply for a permit to use those spaces, be tested (or interviewed, or provide evidence), and then pay a bit to get a permit. Permit has to be visible when you're parking in a handicapped parking space, if not you might get a fine. (But DO remove the permit when not in actual use because "they" will break your car window to obtain one... worth some money on black market)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

You have to get a doctor's note, at least in Washington state. You then take it to the Department of Licensing, and they issue you either a hanging placard (or two) for free, or else handicapped plates for your car, for which they charge you. Legally, you are supposed to hang it from your mirror when you are using a handicapped parking space, not leave it on the dashboard of your car, as some people do. However, you immediately have to remove it while driving, because it's illegal to have anything hanging from your mirror when you drive.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Not being handicapped, I always considered parking in one of those spots would just be tempting fate.

<supreme being >"You wanna park there? That can be arranged."</supreme being >

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    You have to get a doctor's note, at least in Washington state. You then take it to the Department of Licensing, and they issue you either a hanging placard (or two) for free, or else handicapped plates for your car, for which they charge you. ...
    Same in Texas (except it's DMV here). The placards are for temporary disability and have expiration dates; the plates for long term disability and are renewed annually.

Oh, number of spaces in the US is set by the ADA.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Microsoft Outlook spell checks the body of emails, but not the subject line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Microsoft Outlook spell checks the body of emails, but not the subject line.
    A blessing on my current project, the title of which MS applications will "autocorrect." I tried adding the project spelling to the library but the software still "corrects" it. At least my email subjects are spelled the right way.

And a curse on my last project, when I consistently typed "Bolier" in the Subject field.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Someone told me that the rules permitted the holder of a handicap permit to park in any available space, including "XYZ shoppers only," "express pick-up," "reserved for employee of the month," "reserved for vice president" and so on.

It probably varies by jurisdiction, but does anyone know if and when this is true?

It's not true here. It entitles you to park in handicapped spots, period.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Someone told me that the rules permitted the holder of a handicap permit to park in any available space, including "XYZ shoppers only," "express pick-up," "reserved for employee of the month," "reserved for vice president" and so on.

It probably varies by jurisdiction, but does anyone know if and when this is true?
    It hasn't been true anywhere I've lived or visited.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Well, I never cared to test that concept when it was an option.

It might prevail by gentlemen's agreement, i.e., an organization could be embarrassed if they chose to enforce it.

I was right the first time -- it's her car. She goes to the pool after the gym, which was why the car was still there after she left. To be clear, the car DOES have a handicapped placard, it just doesn't seem like she needs to be using it.

I was right the first time -- it's her car. She goes to the pool after the gym, which was why the car was still there after she left. To be clear, the car DOES have a handicapped placard, it just doesn't seem like she needs to be using it.
    From Invisible Disabilities Association

Have you ever seen someone get out of a car parked in a space reserved for the disabled, who did not LOOK disabled? Did it make you very uncomfortable or even upset? Did you let them know of your disapproval by giving them a dirty look or yelling something at them?

Well, you are not alone. Many people are very disturbed by the sight of a seemingly mobile person taking the space of someone who is truly in need of it. After all, we want to protect the rights of people for whom these spaces are reserved!

However, in our efforts to help those who deserve these parking spaces, we actually may be hurting someone who has a legal right and a legitimate need to park there. How can this be true, you ask? Isn’t it obvious who does and who does not have a disability? The answer is… no.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

First "Foot Long Coney Dog" from Sonic in ages (can eat a bit of meat these days).

Ate half of it.

Does NOT taste like what I enjoyed 6 to 8 years ago.

Maybe it was a taste more amenable to younger self.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Sandwich propaganda and you know what I'm talking about. The picture or commercial showing the sandwich literally bursting because it seems all that meat and stuff is just too much to be restrained. Then you get this supposedly huge sandwich to find it flat and looking nothing like the advertised product. Subway is bad about this.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My mother gave a ride in her car to an elderly couple, neither of whom owned a car, because they both could barely get around with walkers. My mother parked in the handicap space, and the gentleman hobbled into the store. The lady stayed in the car with my mother.

While they were waiting, a cop arrived and wrote my mother a parking ticket for being in a handicap space without a little placard, the only traffic violation she ever received in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by DukePaul View Post
    Sandwich propaganda and you know what I'm talking about. The picture or commercial showing the sandwich literally bursting because it seems all that meat and stuff is just too much to be restrained. Then you get this supposedly huge sandwich to find it flat and looking nothing like the advertised product. Subway is bad about this.
    I heard a report this morning that Subway's chicken is more than half soy. McDonald's was all chicken.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It was done on a CBC show here in Canada.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mark...food-1.3993967
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I think Subway is better than most fast food chains in regard to how faithful their product photos are. Far from perfect but better. Then there's the whole made-to-order aspect so if you do that and it doesn't look like the picture, you're partially to blame! For me, pretty much any burger is going to look far worse than the photo. I try not to be too hard on them, though. "Food stylists" work pretty hard and use a lot of 'tricks' to make food look its most appealing for the camera in spite of long days, hot lights, and some things that just don't translate to photographs all that easily. If they used the actual food as it's prepared in the restaurant, the delivered product would probably look better than the photo but then, you likely wouldn't have ordered it in the first place.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

How reliable is DNA testing on cooked food?

ETA: I ate at Subway once, and was sorely disappointed.
    But then, I grew up in the extended suburbs of NYC, where you could get a good sub at just about any corner shop.

Here's something that bugs me: places that once made subs got obsessed a couple of decades ago with the stupid pretentious idea of not separating the top & bottom halves of the bun and trying to cram the inside stuff all into one side. But, partly because that never really works right and partly because they wanted to make them look as stuffed & overflowing as possible, that soon evolved into a situation where the top & bottom can't even come anywhere near closing at all anymore and can't hold the other stuff, so the bun ends up unclosable and has to be left permanently wide open, with the top & bottom now side by side and the other ingredients just piled on top. So now this thing they call a "sub" has only a bottom, no top. (One half of the bottom is just shaped like an upside-down top.) It's a salad, served on a plate made of bread, with no fork. They don't even pretend otherwise anymore; the meat slices lay flat across both halves of the bun, exactly the way they would lay flat on only the bottom half of the bun alone if it were still actually a sandwich at all. And it's not just Subway. The other main place I'd get them from, the deli section of a nearby grocery store, does the same thing. Last time I checked, one could still get an actual sub sandwich instead of one of these bread trays with stuff piled on top and no way to hold it, only at Quizzno's... but there aren't any of those in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    My mother gave a ride in her car to an elderly couple, neither of whom owned a car, because they both could barely get around with walkers. My mother parked in the handicap space, and the gentleman hobbled into the store. The lady stayed in the car with my mother.

While they were waiting, a cop arrived and wrote my mother a parking ticket for being in a handicap space without a little placard, the only traffic violation she ever received in her life.
    Not a dig at your mother; her intentions were good. But I'll drop my passenger off at the door and park out in the lot, where I can see the door, and pick them up when they come out.

(Worst case I've seen - and I've seen it several times - is the driver who drops someone off in front of the grocery store, then waits in the passenger pickup/loading zone for them to come back.)
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    (Worst case I've seen - and I've seen it several times - is the driver who drops someone off in front of the grocery store, then waits in the passenger pickup/loading zone for them to come back.)
    The bus from the retirement home does that at our local Safeway. There's at least some justification, I guess, in that the passengers don't come out of the store at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    A blessing on my current project, the title of which MS applications will "autocorrect." I tried adding the project spelling to the library but the software still "corrects" it. At least my email subjects are spelled the right way.

And a curse on my last project, when I consistently typed "Bolier" in the Subject field.
    True story about spellcheck; A coworker wrote an extensive document in word, ran it thru spellcheck and then emailed it to everyone in the company, from the CEO on down. It would have been smart for him to re-review the document; spellcheck changed the word "warehouse" to "whorehouse".
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

You don't have to have a driver's license to qualify for a handicapped placard. Simon used to be in a play group with a kid with spina bifida, and the kid qualified for one so whoever drove her around could park in the handicapped spot.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by msollot View Post
    True story about spellcheck; A coworker wrote an extensive document in word, ran it thru spellcheck and then emailed it to everyone in the company, from the CEO on down. It would have been smart for him to re-review the document; spellcheck changed the word "warehouse" to "whorehouse".
    through

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    through

CJSF
    Well, apparently spelling is the really trivial stuff that bugs you. However, in this case, my use of "thru" is correct.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/through-thru/

Thru vs. Through—Which Is Right?

Marko Ticak · Language

Through can be a preposition, an adjective, and an adverb.
    Through is the only formally accepted spelling of the word.
    Thru is an alternate spelling that should be used only in informal writing or when referring to drive-throughs.

I consider this informal; don't you?
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

I'll accept "thru" the same day "z" is accepted as a plural modifier and "loose" and "lose" as synonyms. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org