Page 304 of 415 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314354404 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,120 of 12441

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    There is a TV commercial currently running for Toyota, where a woman appears to take possession of her new car. As she adjusts the mirrors, she sees various Toyota employees behind the car because Toyota "stands behind their vehicles".

As the commercial ends, she clearly places the vehicle in reverse!

Fortunately, we don't get to see the carnage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then there's the current VW car sex one. We see a small car, parked, windows fogged up, rocking in the dark. Then we see a couple with a baby buying a larger car. Then we see the larger one rocking, and they're back with two kids buying a larger one yet. Goes on up to four kids, to introduce VW's new larger SUV.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

VWs are NOT effective birth control!

I'm sharing this info on behalf of a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Originally Posted by Delvo
    "Game of Thrones" really only has one throne.

Worse yet: it's made of the swords of the leaders who were defeated by the guy who had the throne made, heated enough to soften them enough to bend them to shape, and welded together, so we can still see the basic original shapes of the swords in it, just often with a bit of a "Melting Clocks" distortion. This was done hundreds of years ago. But, after being exposed to that heat and that time, the hilts are perfectly intact, including the wooden part of each one, which is often wrapped in leather or chord, and pommels & guards which stayed exactly in their original forms & alignments without any sign of having even partially melted or even drooped a bit out of place, despite being smaller than the blades and often made of bronze or gilded or silvered (all three of which have significantly lower melting points) instead of just solid steel.
    Yes, it spoils an otherwise believable plot.

Grant Hutchison

Yes, I assumed they used magical dragon fire to melt the swords together into a throne. Those ancient metallurgical engineers were smart that way.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    One of the best commercials I've ever seen is the one where Patrick Warburton comes across three of them eating from bags of M&Ms and demands to know what they're doing. "You can't eat your own kind. It's unnatural." So the three all swap around bags until none of them are eating "their own kind." While staring at him. So creepy and funny. The children's educational bit Simon came across recently where the food is happy while cut up, served, eaten, and digested, on the other hand, plays it straight and is just wrong.
    There was also the series of ads where they ended up on an island with a cannibal tribe of living M&Ms and it was played like, well, the typical cartoon plot about being captured by cannibals.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    There was a semi-happy ending with a compromise. I approached someone more reasonable a bit father down the chain of command. I brought an older 120 GB external disk drive from home, one that was no longer useful due to its low capacity, and asked if I could get it scrubbed, analyzed, and certified to use at the production site.

"We can't do that, but here's what I can do. I have a certified drive that So-and-so was going to use here," he said. "I can buy him off with this one, and give you that one."

So, I donated my 120 GB drive and got a 40 GB drive in return. I was able to do the backup and get to work on a solution, without resorting to an all day stay with a stack of DVDs. My humble donation became part of the development lab collection. I used to see it attached to some system for as long as I was there.

Your taxpayer dollars at work, supplemented by castoff technology
    My son tried to fix his grandmother's virus laden computer. It had occurred to him to make a back up to DVDs. I arrived 3 hours later to find him crying. His grandmother sort of lives in the 1990s and handed him a spindle of CDs and was running Windows Vista because it was new and therefore awesome.

He didn't know the different between CD and DVD because he was in kindergarten. What grandma didn't know was the first thing my son did was download a copy of Linux Ubuntu and was using that not only to make the backup, but had every intention of installing off the live disc. The only reason he was making a backup was because he knew she couldn't/didn't.

Could you imagine a happy Vista user suddenly encountering Ubuntu? Oooo....
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    VWs are NOT effective birth control!

I'm sharing this info on behalf of a friend.
    Not effective smog control, either.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Then there's the current VW car sex one. We see a small car, parked, windows fogged up, rocking in the dark. Then we see a couple with a baby buying a larger car. Then we see the larger one rocking, and they're back with two kids buying a larger one yet. Goes on up to four kids, to introduce VW's new larger SUV.
    Old medical school joke about the embryology exam question: "Where does conception take place?"
    The guy who answered, "In the back seat of a Mini" lost a point for the wrong answer, but gained a point for artistic merit.

Grant Hutchison

A pedophile school teacher runs off with (what else?) an under-aged person. Teacher's family quotes a religious verse to the effect that everything works out okay in the end. And they want teacher to come home. I see PRISON in the future, but perhaps I'm simply jaded.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Teacher's family quotes a religious verse to the effect that everything works out okay in the end..
    They are trying to encourage him to return. If they told him that that a mob with pitchforks and torches was waiting for him, it wouldn't increase the chances.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    They are trying to encourage him to return. If they told him that that a mob with pitchforks and torches was waiting for him, it wouldn't increase the chances.

Yes, I get that. But trying to spin it as though pedophilia can play a role in divine glory and he can "simply come home" is a tad preposterous. This isn't an episode of "The Waltons."

Home will be PRISON, if he does "come home."

A pedophile school teacher runs off with (what else?) an under-aged person. Teacher's family quotes a religious verse to the effect that everything works out okay in the end. And they want teacher to come home. I see PRISON in the future, but perhaps I'm simply jaded.
    Please drop this entire topic. There isn't any one big fault, but it is close to so many edges, this conversation will surely fall off one of them. It is probably not a family-friendly topic, it borders on legal issues and thus politics, and you had to toss in religion too.

Please drop it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My neighbor decided that some of the debris in her yard came from my trees and shrubs. She paid a crew to do general clean up and I discovered that part of what they did was to toss a bunch of the debris onto my property. I was confounded that 1) my neighbor would ask the crew to do that and 2) they would actually do it. Why? To what end? No clear reason except "it's your stuff." I would have been happy to kick in for part of the cost if asked to. But the topper was the crew leader who told me that for $50, he would be happy to pick it up again. My head nearly exploded.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

A neighbor with a car that sounds like a tank who has to get going at 7 am.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I went to town and forgot to pick up the tax return forms. probably go back in and get them tonight, luckily I have couple more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I went to town and forgot to pick up the tax return forms. probably go back in and get them tonight, luckily I have couple more weeks.
    Or you could download one of the CRA-approved free packages and have it done today. If you qualify for a refund, you'll have it about a month sooner.

Why husbands apparently expect wives to know where everything/anything is in the house at any particular given time. I'm in home office WORKING ... he comes in asking where his cellphone is.

I'm not psychic. I don't know!

My dad did this constantly to my mother. She wasn't psychic either!

I had read somewhere that a (non-strictly-scientific) study of this phenomenon showed that it happens fairly equally, on average, to both majority genders but we are culturally biased to remember when the men ask women and not the (or any) other way. My wife tends to ask it of me more often than I ask it of her, but we haven't exactly recorded every incident either.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Why husbands apparently expect wives to know where everything/anything is in the house at any particular given time. I'm in home office WORKING ... he comes in asking where his cellphone is
    Could be worse, he could be asking another man's wife where his cellphone is?
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

I have to admit that my wife is really good at finding things. The kids claim it is her super power.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

There are a number of factors in play, I think.
    One is that it's not usually unreasonable to ask a person with whom you share your living environment if they've seen something you've lost.
    Another is that some people keep score and some people don't.
    Another is that whoever in a group is most likely to move things around is most likely to have either encountered or moved the lost item.
    Another relates to some people being better at finding things than others, by having more thorough search strategies.
    Another relates to some people saying they're better at finding things than others are, and being prepared to persist longer in order to score a social point.
    Another relates to the extent to which people naturally take note of their environment as they move from A to B, and the extent to which they specifically take note of other people's belongings encountered along the way.

There appear to be some slight cognitive differences between male and female in some of these tasks, though not as much as was originally thought, and there's a current effort to dismantle that whole "intrinsic neurology" edifice in favour of cognitive differences arising purely because of socially imposed or expected roles - we'll need to see how that one pans out.
    In this regard, there certainly still are some entrenched socially generated household roles (who does the cleaning?). But in our house it comes down to who's most likely to have moved stuff. If it's in the kitchen or study, it was probably me, and I'll remember where I put it. If it's in the general living area, it's most likely my wife, and she'll remember where she put it.

(Interestingly, I occupy the same role in the small group of guys I go away with for a week each summer. Specifically, if they can't find something they think they most likely put down in the kitchen, they ask me. And I usually know where it is. Or so we all believe.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    "Game of Thrones" really only has one throne.

Worse yet: it's made of the swords of the leaders who were defeated by the guy who had the throne made, heated enough to soften them enough to bend them to shape, and welded together, so we can still see the basic original shapes of the swords in it, just often with a bit of a "Melting Clocks" distortion. This was done hundreds of years ago. But, after being exposed to that heat and that time, the hilts are perfectly intact, including the wooden part of each one, which is often wrapped in leather or chord, and pommels & guards which stayed exactly in their original forms & alignments without any sign of having even partially melted or even drooped a bit out of place, despite being smaller than the blades and often made of bronze or gilded or silvered (all three of which have significantly lower melting points) instead of just solid steel.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the title was correct and accurate and there is a room full of thrones, but everyone saw the first and simply stopped looking?

BTW: "24" is actually "17.2" without commercials.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    BTW: "24" is actually "17.2" without commercials.
    Useful for the (almost) real-time 24 marathons my friend used to host. People would watch 24 episodes in 24 hours, back-to-back, starting each episode at the appropriate hour. The accumulated commercial break time at the end of each hour gave them enough time for vital functions.

Grant Hutchison

There's a motor oil commercial running in which a guy raises his hood and finds a tiny NASCAR driver standing there, recommending a brand of oil. At the end the guy asks the driver "Why are you three inches tall?" Except the driver's standing next to a bottle of oil, and unless they sell that brand in really tiny bottles, is at least six inches tall. That annoys me way more than it should.

I just finished a crossword puzzle. The clue for 79 down was "First Ford car". The answer turned out to be "Model A". No, it's not.

And here's a rather long story:
    Three years ago I purchased a small trailer from my favorite cheap Chinese tool supplier, to put my larger catapult on. It was a kit. I was quite pleased with the overall quality of it, except for the wiring. The wire gage was too small and they were depending on a chassis ground. Through paint. Way too much resistance for the lights to work properly. I purchased wire and put in a dedicated ground for the tail lights. I didn't worry about the side markers since they're about 30 inches from the truck tail lights in one direction, and from the trailier tail lights in the other.
    Last year I decided to paint the trailer blue instead of red, so it would go with my overall color scheme, and since it was being significantly disassembled anyhow, I rewired it, purchasing a wire kit with heavier wire and a dedicated ground wire. That was much better, although still a bit awkward for the markers. Then last fall I got a recall notice on the trailer because, surprise, surprise, the lights didn't meet USDOT standards. They sent me a new lighting kit which I just got into today.
    The new lights are fine, LED instead of incandescent, and with a dedicated ground wire on each light. That's good. But they also included a new wire harness which is the same small gage as the original and lacks a ground wire. The instructions say nothing about how to use those grounds on the lights. Rather pointless. If installed as provided, it'd be worse than before.
    At least I don't have to decide whether to replace last years wire harness with the new one!

Shared a brief "warm fuzzy moment" with a fellow poetry enthusiast (mailing list).

Five minutes later, he got political.

Fuzzy feelings instantly vanished.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    OK; this is both trivial and bothersome - and drives me UTTERLY CRAZY!!! AAAAAHHH!!!

Er...ahem. (straightens hem.)

OK - you know when you watch movies online, they'll play for about 10 minutes and then pause, annoyingly, right in the middle of dialogue and load for several seconds? Aaargh; it drives me nuts!
    Question - is there a way to watch movies online without this happening? You know - perhaps load it up and wait half an hour, advance to the end credits and wait for it to load... anything like that? I'm totally hopeless at internet...stuff... that this drives me absolutely squirreley.
    PS - I'm not talking about Netflix; I'm talking about movies stored online and replayed as video (or whatever) files. The current one I'm trying to watch is one of my all-time favourites: Agatha Christie's Evil Under the Sun, with Peter Ustinov and Maggie Smith. Simply one of the most enjoyable films ever made but it pausing every 3 minutes drives me totally bats.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Useful for the (almost) real-time 24 marathons my friend used to host. People would watch 24 episodes in 24 hours, back-to-back, starting each episode at the appropriate hour. The accumulated commercial break time at the end of each hour gave them enough time for vital functions.

Grant Hutchison
    The first 11th Doctor episode of Doctor Who does something funky with the times. I am not sure how they did it, but if you start at the top of the hour, the show progresses to match the minutes on your clock. It doesn't matter if you watch TV with commercials or what appears on web, on say Netflix or Amazon. That is some crazy stuff right there. I have no idea how it is done.

Additionally, episodes of the 11th Doctor seem to show clocks all the time. In episodes where time is important, you can read the clocks. But if time is not an obvious constraint, then they are unreadable due to angle, blur, timing, etc. That is also weird.
    Solfe

It is all timey wimey wibely wobbly.

I had a professor ask a "what if" question where students were asked to pick a side. When I picked, the professor responded "Why didn't you consider or comment on person X, who was acting behind the scenes to engineer a particular scenario in this conflict?"

My response flummoxed him. "He was operating behind the scenes, that sort of implies that I don't know anything about him. Were I to take what I know back to that particular conflict, I'd conquer the country and put the last regime to the sword. I still have no need to address him."
    Solfe

When you are in your car, waiting a while at a busy T junction wanting to pull out across a lane. A vehicle comes wanting to turn in in front of you and the easiest, most obvious solution is for that vehicle to let you out first, but they don't. Only to cause total grid lock because they are unable make the turn and get past you.