Page 346 of 410 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396 ... LastLast
Results 10,351 to 10,380 of 12292

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Just got in the car and pushed the start button.

DING DING DING DING DING!

Big yellow message in the little screen on the dash: SMART REMOTE BATTERY IS LOW!
    Along with a little "low battery symbol", kind of like I see on my phone from time to time.

Ok, how do I replace it? Hmm, there a little slider thing on the back. Push that. Nothing happens. Play a bit more. Ok, I see. That releases the key hidden inside the keyless remote. Now what? There are no visible screws or anything.

Ok, I give up. If all else fails, read the instructions. Find the owners manual in the 3rd or 4th place I look. That's above average for me; I usually find things in the first place after having been to a dozen others after the first look.

Owners manual is utterly unhelpful. It's actually quite slender, the full manual being on DVD. Rather than stick the DVD in the computer (or find where I copied it to a couple of years ago, I Google: Honda Smart Remote Battery

YouTube comes up. A guy whose first language is not English has solved it. You pop the hidden key out and use it to pry the fob apart, revealing a battery. CR2032, an extremely common and cheap type. Which I have in the junk drawer. Problem solved.

The alternative would have been going to the dealer, 45 miles away, when we are in the vicinity on Monday. What do you suppose they'd have charged?

Now I just need to get another battery for the other fob.

Stuff that amuses me: It's a Honda (Japanese Brand) made in Ohio. The Fob was made in Mexico. The old battery was Panasonic made in Thailand. The new battery is Energizer made in SorryIForgotToLook. It's a global economy.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

James Webb might be delayed, there are engineers working around the clock to fix a couple of issues and it might take longer than the year they have left. heard this on Weekly space hangouts.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    YouTube comes up. A guy whose first language is not English has solved it. You pop the hidden key out and use it to pry the fob apart, revealing a battery. CR2032, an extremely common and cheap type. Which I have in the junk drawer. Problem solved.

The alternative would have been going to the dealer, 45 miles away, when we are in the vicinity on Monday. What do you suppose they'd have charged?
    You'd have read the manual though, wouldn't you? Surely you'd have tracked it down. Even people who don't read manuals will read the manual when time and money are at stake.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    James Webb might be delayed, there are engineers working around the clock to fix a couple of issues and it might take longer than the year they have left. heard this on Weekly space hangouts.
    Here is an article discussing it.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...to-slip-again/

Ok, I give up. If all else fails, read the instructions. Find the owners manual in the 3rd or 4th place I look. That's above average for me; I usually find things in the first place after having been to a dozen others after the first look.

Owners manual is utterly unhelpful. It's actually quite slender, the full manual being on DVD. Rather than stick the DVD in the computer (or find where I copied it to a couple of years ago, I Google: Honda Smart Remote Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You'd have read the manual though, wouldn't you? Surely you'd have tracked it down. Even people who don't read manuals will read the manual when time and money are at stake.

Grant Hutchison
    See above. Manual useless, YouTube helpful.

And you wouldn't believe the difficulty I've just had in making this post. I've now learned that the multiquote button stays checked even when you back out and close the tab with the thread in it.

Well, I meant the full DVD manual. What with hypertext and stuff, a DVD manual works so much better than a paper one. And takes so much less time than YouTube.

What I meant was, if YouTube had let you down (or simply been too ramblingly tedious to bear), wouldn't you have sat down with the DVD manual rather than drive to a dealership and shell out money?

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Mar-01 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, I meant the full DVD manual. What with hypertext and stuff, a DVD manual works so much better than a paper one. And takes so much less time than YouTube.

What I meant was, if YouTube had let you down (or simply been too ramblingly tedious to bear), wouldn't you have sat down with the DVD manual rather than drive to a dealership and shell out money?

Grant Hutchison
    Certainly. But YouTube took just seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    our land line now only receives those dreaded calls but there could be an emergency so I feel I have to answer. It is so irritating to know that they put a tick against "this number answers" and that devising clever responses to a recorded voice is a total waste of time. I tried a stop call service but that turned out to a total waste too, even if it's not a scam, the telemarketers keep changing numbers and now use local codes to try to fool you. Poor old Alexander G Bell, he would hate to think his technology would be deaf to the nuisance factor. Will it bring back the letter as communication?
    Lord, Mr. Ford Bell, what have you done?

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Since I commute by bicycle, I have a headlight for use this time of year. It works great, but charges very slowly. It can take over two hours to recharge after a half-hourís use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me thinks its time for a new one.

Remember those that used to have a dynamo attached to the wheel, the harder you pedalled the brighter it went.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Remember those that used to have a dynamo attached to the wheel, the harder you pedalled the brighter it went.
    I remember those!
    And so did the writers at The Simpsons:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kgzgcqe5s

Maybe I shouldnít complain about the rechargeable battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Certainly. But YouTube took just seconds.
    Ah. I have a mildly obssessive-compulsive approach to electronic manuals, so I can pop up any given manual in seconds, too. (Including the ones for all my wife's stuff, and all my mother's stuff.)
    YouTube's generally been my last resort, since I always seem to find myself being lectured by smug folk with haphazard presentation skills, who spend a rambling ten minutes describing something that would take thirty seconds if presented as a bullet-pointed list and an annotated photograph.
    Do any of these guys ever do a second take? I once watched a YouTube video in which a man accidentally set fire to his workbench while demonstrating the skill I was seeking to acquire. So he beat the fire out with a work glove and said, "Oops, that didn't work. Let me show you again."

Grant Hutchison

Depends. Would a professional presentation or a workbench fire generate more views?

I think most of them do not have any training in editing or do not want go thru that process. Nowadays it is not that hard to edit but in the past it probably took at least two or three vcrs and maybe if you want do fancy transitions you probably needed some kind of expensive computer like a video toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Depends. Would a professional presentation or a workbench fire generate more views?
    It wasn't that spectacular a fire. It just convinced me the guy didn't have a clue. But I suppose the clueless get at least one click before a viewer realizes they're clueless.

Grant Hutchison

I think most of them do not have any training in editing or do not want go thru that process. Nowadays it is not that hard to edit but in the past it probably took at least two or three vcrs and maybe if you want do fancy transitions you probably needed some kind of expensive computer like a video toaster.
    It's not even editing - it's just doing a second take when something goes wrong. People who forget what they're supposed to be saying, people who write stuff wrongly and then have to delete it, people who mislay a tool and therefore treat us to an empty screen while they go and get it.

Grant Hutchison

Doc, I've been watching Youtubers doing different things lately and one is metal detectors and related "magnet fishing".

(To quote singer/musician Samantha Fish, "I can't get close to my TV set, it's screaming things I'd like to forget!)

One guy in particular has a hard time with the concept of not including days of no results in his series. As in about a third of them. Is that a form of narcissism? It sure comes off that way.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

After knowing the difference for at least a year, Simon is going through a phase where every time you use "before" and "after," he asks you what they mean.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

the way some put dishes in a sink, I like everything stacked on the side and silverware in a container on the side but lately someone is just throwing stuff in the sink at random, which means the few times I do dishes I have unload everything to start doing the dishes.

wrong thread.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-01 at 06:46 PM.

Can't vouch for YouTube, but the manuals can be less than helpful.

First, they make one manual to cover 2-4 models of the car. You must identify your model. And that's not just Edge LT vs Edge LTE, it's Edge LTE version A vs Edge LTE version B. Nowhere does it say version A; you have to compare diagrams to real life.

Second, they print the manuals before the cars hit the dealers (gotta have 'em to put in the glove boxes). And sometimes change things after printing and before delivering.

Third, they often change things during the model year, but almost never update the printed manual. And if they do, now it's the version A vs version B thing.

(My job had me travelling a lot, using rental cars. If I'd never driven that car before, the first thing I did was familiarize myself by using the manual.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

How much time I have watching youtube videos, especially car review videos can't afford a car but like day dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Can't vouch for YouTube, but the manuals can be less than helpful.

First, they make one manual to cover 2-4 models of the car. You must identify your model. And that's not just Edge LT vs Edge LTE, it's Edge LTE version A vs Edge LTE version B. Nowhere does it say version A; you have to compare diagrams to real life.

Second, they print the manuals before the cars hit the dealers (gotta have 'em to put in the glove boxes). And sometimes change things after printing and before delivering.

Third, they often change things during the model year, but almost never update the printed manual. And if they do, now it's the version A vs version B thing.

(My job had me travelling a lot, using rental cars. If I'd never driven that car before, the first thing I did was familiarize myself by using the manual.)
    I have both written and been responsible for reviewing service manuals. The latter was excruciatingly painful. At my last employer, manuals were written in "simplified English", because the product is sold world-wide. The company therefore figured that the writers need only to be able to speak or read English at that level, and hired the cheapest ESL speakers they could find. It did not work well. Then they decided to outsource the writing to Peru. The Peruvian company had been graded last in "understands English" but first in "CHEAP", so they were chosen. They then gave 60-day layoff notices to all the current employees and flew the Peruvians up to be trained by the guys they were firing. To my immense surprise, someone eventually realized it was a bad idea and they cancelled that plan.

I've been out of there for almost eight year now and have recently seen a couple of articles suggesting that they've come up with a brilliant new idea -- "insourcing". Ya think?

Yesterday, I cleaned the bathroom in preparation for Graham's return; my plan had been for him to return to a cleaner apartment than he'd left. Simon looked at it, probably an hour's worth of work managed while his sister took a nap--the only time I can really clean on that level--and said, "What else did you do?" Also, he seems to have some setting that makes him better behaved the farther he is from home.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

A couple of things today:
    A cat that seems to like being under every ones which can be dangerous for the cat, I think he is just bored for being inside all day.

A Canadian science podcast that seems to save its files in a format that players on computers don't like.

There is a phrase I first heard in furniture moving,

"I'd rather have it right than right now."
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    There is a phrase I first heard in furniture moving,

Similar advice I was given when I joined a start-up IC design company:

"Nobody will remember if it is late, but everybody will remember if it doesn't work."

The stakes are too high with the Webb telescope to launch if there are *any* concerns.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Did I ever mention how much I hate burdocks. Went outdoors to so a few little things and got some on me and the cat got some on it. Took some of burdocks off the cat but still has some on it because it flinches while I gently pull on the fur. The cat even got some on a carpet which got stuck to my sock. Did I mention how much I hate burdocks.

from Big Don , "There is a phrase I first heard in furniture moving,

Now that , Sir , is brilliant !!!!! If only more people subscribed to this philosophy in the niche of time.

Best regards ,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    from Big Don , "There is a phrase I first heard in furniture moving,

Now that , Sir , is brilliant !!!!! If only more people subscribed to this philosophy in the niche of time.

Best regards ,
    Dan
    Don unfortunately has no future in corporate management. As they used to say at the Really Big Airplane Company, "Quality is King, but the schedule is God."

Don unfortunately has no future in corporate management. As they used to say at the Really Big Airplane Company, "Quality is King, but the schedule is God."
    You tell us this after my niece flew over to Europe on one that companies planes. (She made it fine, got pictures of her in front of leaning tower in some city.)