Page 351 of 411 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361401 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,530 of 12308

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Darn.

My doctors want me to wear a cone around my neck at night so I don't chew my hands and feet when I sleep.
    Good grief, itís true!
    On the Internet, nobody knows youíre a dog.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_t...u're_a_dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Mar-26 at 10:24 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

After much fussing with drivers and so forth, it turns out I needed to switch the colour setting from "32" to "16."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

James Webb has been delayed until 2020.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    After much fussing with drivers and so forth, it turns out I needed to switch the colour setting from "32" to "16."
    I hope that's bits and not colours. I remember CGA graphics.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    James Webb has been delayed until 2020.
    At least 2020 is closer now than it used to be. ;-)

Ants. It's an ant-tastrophe. Ant-pocalypse. Ant- maggedon. ANTS!

It's these aptly named guys. Also commonly referred to as "sugar ants" or, um, "urine-ants". The latter because of the remarkably strong smell produced when you squish one.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    At least 2020 is closer now than it used to be. ;-)
    I first heard of telescope in 2000 so it has been 20 years in the making.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-28 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I hope that's bits and not colours. I remember CGA graphics.
    It says colour but seems to be bit. Still, it works.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

My sleeping habits of late so I the last couple of weeks I have trying to stay away from the computer as much as possible after midnight and cutting down on my caffeine in the evening, and doing a little more during the day. Plus the next couple of days of moving furniture and such should wear me out.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-29 at 10:41 PM.

Another thread brought up the instance of disliking a book so much that while reading it you throw it across the room in frustration.

I recall doing that very thing at least twice in my life, but the trivial annoyance is I can't remember the books or why.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Ocular migraines. I get one about every six to eight months (and I'm having one now as I type this). They don't hurt but temporarily distort my vision. It seems like they occur after I go outdoors into bright sunlight. They are trivial in that they only last about 15 or 20 minutes and are fairly common.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Ocular migraines. I get one about every six to eight months (and I'm having one now as I type this). They don't hurt but temporarily distort my vision. It seems like they occur after I go outdoors into bright sunlight. They are trivial in that they only last about 15 or 20 minutes and are fairly common.
    Ugh! I get six to eight of those a month! I knock them out with Sumatriptan, if you don't know about that already. If I don't, they progress to full blindness. As in nothing, not even black!

Quite horrifying I assure you.

I've had a LOT of head trauma is the probable reason. It's funny as Hell when I'm asked by a student neurologist to list my various blows to the head. (Found out later my primary neuro-team does this on purpose to the new neurologists.)

"Do you want all the times I've had a concussion or just the times I was knocked unconscious?" (Which is a much harder thing to do.)

The first two were all cheerfully, "Oh, lets have everything!"

I swear to God, I'm looking at the floor, recalling and counting on my fingers of both hands and then I'm aware the writing has stopped. I look over at the doctor-to-be and she's looking at me open mouthed, giving me what we call locally "The Tucker". The Tucker being the look news commentator Tucker Carlson gives some of his guests after your more wilder socio-political statements. Not nearly as distrustful as the "Forrest Whittaker Eye". More of a sign of incredulousness.

So then when I came in, the new doctors warned the other new doctors that the old doctors were going to do this. (I possess abnormally acute hearing even into old age now.)

"Okay, just the times you were knocked unconscious."

Yeah, the filter didn't help.

She was stunned silent too. Tossed by a "fallen" tree in a gale twenty feet into the air and landed on my face, right on the edge of the curb. Had a vertical welt just to the left of my nose where I landed on it and that eye swelled shut completely and blacken the other eye. Went to medical three days later and still had a concussion! Later on in the fleet I was overwhelm once each by toxic gases and smothering gases, and explosions, ship's full contact team, brawls, face trauma from colliding with my ship at a full, adrenal based sprint didn't help any either. (I bent two eighteen inch long, one inch steel pipes six inches out of place with my face.)

The last two neurologists were better prepared I believe.

They still shook their heads and laughed a bit, as I'm good natured about it.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Another thread brought up the instance of disliking a book so much that while reading it you throw it across the room in frustration.

I recall doing that very thing at least twice in my life, but the trivial annoyance is I can't remember the books or why.
    Well, if you hated the books that much, maybe that’s a good thing.

Yeah, but if he can't remember what they are, he might start reading them again!
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

That's interesting. One feels they should have made more of an impression.
    I can list mine, effortlessly (in no particular order):

Sobel, Longitude
    Rosenblum & Kuttner, Quantum Enigma
    Wolfe, Kingdom of Speech
    Tsakiris, Why Science Is Wrong...About Almost Everything

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Yeah, but if he can't remember what they are, he might start reading them again!
    Or, what if it's only one book and he did reread it?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

That's interesting. One feels they should have made more of an impression.
    I can list mine, effortlessly (in no particular order):

Sobel, Longitude
    Rosenblum & Kuttner, Quantum Enigma
    Wolfe, Kingdom of Speech
    Tsakiris, Why Science Is Wrong...About Almost Everything

Grant Hutchison
    What didn't you like about Longitude? Accuracy? Tone? Font?

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    What didn't you like about Longitude? Accuracy? Tone? Font?
    Ooooh, don't get me started on lunatic typeface choices.

Longitude claimed (in its subtitle) to be "the true story", but was essentially a dramatization. I didn't like the cynical way in which Maskelyne was deliberately cast as the bad guy ("A story that hails a hero must also hiss at a villain ..."); I didn't like the lazy way this largely invented conflict was cast in stereotypical "class war" terms; and I didn't like the way the book's immense popularity cemented a simplistic and unpleasant narrative as "the true story" in public consciousness.
    Whereas if it had been a movie that opened with "Based upon a true story: certain events and characters have been changed for dramatic purposes" I'd have had no objection. (Though I probably wouldn't have bothered watching the movie.)

Grant Hutchison

If you didn't like Longitude the book, you'd have REALLY loved the TV movie they made of it. Made Maskylene out to be a bumbling fool, dropping instruments during an observation. When they weren't making it a soap opera about the guy who restored H1, H2, and H3. I had just read the book and disliked the film. Even with Michael Gambon and Jeremy Irons in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    If you didn't like Longitude the book, you'd have REALLY loved the TV movie they made of it.
    I deliberately avoided it.

Grant Hutchison

It makes me happy that the tea shop I like to visit on Broadway fills your teacup up right to the top so you get as much matcha latte as physically possible. It bugs me that this caused me to spill some of mine today on my hand, which meant I left green fingerprints on the book I was reading by accident. (Fortunately, it's a book I own, not a library book or school rental.)

I want to ask a question about measurement, but have gone and confused myself to the point where the question no longer makes sense or is actually a dozen question piled into one.
    Solfe

I deliberately avoided it.

Grant Hutchison
    A wise choice.

All rebates now come in the form of a debit card instead of a check.
    Rebates are annoying in themselves, but now you have to remember to spend a card, rather than just deposit a check into your bank account.

Of course, the *real* plan is to have you leave some money on the card. After six months or so, they* start charging a maintenance fee.

My solution is to use the cards for the only thing I purchase in round numbers... gasoline.
    But even then, they make it more difficult, as you can't use the cards "at the pump" and have to pre-pay in the attached store.

*I'm not exactly sure who "they" are, but someone gets to start subtracting $3 per month after 6 months or so.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

"April Fools" jokes/pranks. While I worry that some of it might be me becoming a cliched, old, and crotchety man, the older I get, the more I detest or at best disapprove of them.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

"April Fools" jokes/pranks. While I worry that some of it might be me becoming a cliched, old, and crotchety man, the older I get, the more I detest or at best disapprove of them.

CJSF
    I love jokes and pranks. But they have to a zero harm joke, that doesn't set people up to believe that they are the butt of it.

I had a coworker pull an awesome joke with a wig that looked just like her real hair and some serious bedhead. She pretended not to notice and people kept trying to put her in front of a mirror. "Oh my god! I have broccoli in my teeth!" I nearly died.
    Solfe

I don't mind pranksters so long as they stay away from me, persecute each other, and don't expect me to laugh.
    But I do retributive justice well, in this context. After being annoyed for too long by the cruel ploys of a self-styled prankster at university, I contrived to convince her, with a series of forged letters, that she was about to be suspended by the university and sued by the government because of one of her pranks. I revealed the "hilarious" deception after a day or two, but it quietened things down nicely.

Grant Hutchison

At my other forum, two different posters have said "disinterested" when they meant "uninterested" in the past 24 hours or so. Judges should be disinterested, but they should not be uninterested.

CJSF
    I generally hate them too, and have well back until early adulthood, so I don't blame them on becoming old. I'll tolerate them if they are just sort of silly, but actually pranking someone is entirely too much like bullying in my mind.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I actually did a bit of an April Fool's joke in my Celebrating the Living column this week, but it's a harmless one. Unless William Goldman somehow encounters my article and decides to get very upset that I've written an article exposing that S. Morgenstern uses William Goldman as a pen name.

"You can't erase icing."