Page 352 of 458 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402452 ... LastLast
Results 10,531 to 10,560 of 13735

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I don't mind pranksters so long as they stay away from me, persecute each other, and don't expect me to laugh.
    But I do retributive justice well, in this context. After being annoyed for too long by the cruel ploys of a self-styled prankster at university, I contrived to convince her, with a series of forged letters, that she was about to be suspended by the university and sued by the government because of one of her pranks. I revealed the "hilarious" deception after a day or two, but it quietened things down nicely.

Grant Hutchison
    Twice in my life I've seen outstanding counter-pranks where a prankster was convinced one of his pranks killed somebody.

Which is kind of messed up as far as pranks go...
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I noted the first page of this thread many years ago had a grumble about double negatives. The stuff of cop shows all the time, "I aint done nuffink officer". Well I came across one in a strange place recently. I was reviewing my Bambi dvd (dont ask) and there was a moment when Thumper was admonished by his mother about saying something unkind. Now what did your father say. Thumper shyly repeats "if you cant say something nice about someone then dont say nothing at all". Oh Walt Disney Walt Disney you do realise you gave a getout to generations of the brightest brats!

I made this joke post on my sailing blog, which I would hope nobody could possibly take seriously— after all, it’s dated 12 years in the future! http://a-solitary-sea-rover.tumblr.c...-space-program

When you leave a tool in an area because you are going to use again and someone moves it on you.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It's not that hard to stop a Trane! You just need to neglect the filter until it becomes clogged with cat hair.

It's getting warmer now that I changed it.

ETA: Well, nuts. I intended this to be in the Amuses thread. That bugs me.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I made this joke post on my sailing blog, which I would hope nobody could possibly take seriously— after all, it’s dated 12 years in the future! http://a-solitary-sea-rover.tumblr.c...-space-program
    It seems to be a natural law that people will take anything seriously. Last year I published a gear review that started off bizarre and departed into fantasy, with the April 1 publication date carefully flagged, but someone took that seriously.

I quite like the idea of April 1 as an outlet for spoof articles (which has a long and venerable history) but I'm always uneasy when someone takes an "obvious" joke seriously - the more obvious the joke, the more unpleasant it is for them to discover they've been tricked. I don't want to trick people - I want to make them laugh.

Grant Hutchison

I think it was sportscar illustrated that spoofed it's april1st cover article about "the New Jaguar XKE with (get this) a straight 12 cyl
    motor. They said the car was stretched and gave quite a long look down the hood when driving !

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It seems to be a natural law that people will take anything seriously. Last year I published a gear review that started off bizarre and departed into fantasy, with the April 1 publication date carefully flagged, but someone took that seriously.

I quite like the idea of April 1 as an outlet for spoof articles (which has a long and venerable history) but I'm always uneasy when someone takes an "obvious" joke seriously - the more obvious the joke, the more unpleasant it is for them to discover they've been tricked. I don't want to trick people - I want to make them laugh.

Grant Hutchison
    Heheh, that was cute.

I’m reading a 60s version of Curtis MacDougall’s Hoaxes, originally published in the 40s, at the moment, and holy cake, yes, spoof articles were apparently incredibly common in the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    When you leave a tool in an area because you are going to use again and someone moves it on you.
    It also bugs me when someone does a job and doesn't clear up after themselves.
    My staff often leave tools lying around after they have completed a job. No matter how often I ask them to make sure they clear up after a job it never seems to sink in. I have now started to pick up any tools I see lying around and hide them in my office. Before I joined the company they couldn't be bothered to look after anything and would just order new if they couldn't find a tool. Now I'm responsible for the budget I have put a stop to this behaviour and encouraged them to look after stuff. My next course of action will be to deduct pay for any tool lost, sounds harsh but they need to learn to appreciate what they are given. When I was a trainee I had to buy/supply my own tools so you learnt quickly to look after your stuff. My company supplies all the work ware, hand & power tools, PPE... some folk seem to think its a free for all.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    It also bugs me when someone does a job and doesn't clear up after themselves.
    My staff often leave tools lying around after they have completed a job. No matter how often I ask them to make sure they clear up after a job it never seems to sink in. I have now started to pick up any tools I see lying around and hide them in my office. Before I joined the company they couldn't be bothered to look after anything and would just order new if they couldn't find a tool. Now I'm responsible for the budget I have put a stop to this behaviour and encouraged them to look after stuff. My next course of action will be to deduct pay for any tool lost, sounds harsh but they need to learn to appreciate what they are given. When I was a trainee I had to buy/supply my own tools so you learnt quickly to look after your stuff. My company supplies all the work ware, hand & power tools, PPE... some folk seem to think its a free for all.
    Not cleaning up after yourself is a big bug for me too. I like your plan.

Two ideas, that might help. One, the company I work for is a big believer in shadow boards. They make it obvious where things go and what is missing.

Second, in addition to the "stick" you might try a "carrot". For example, if there are two different work areas, tell the two groups that you are going to inspect their work areas every day for a week, and whichever group does a better job of cleaning up and putting things away, will get some sort of reward (even if it is a box of donuts).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Reading job postings and some postings are just mostly buzz words and don't really tell you what you have to do. Or not knowing whether or not you are qualified because you more than enough in one area of the job but maybe not enough in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Two ideas, that might help. One, the company I work for is a big believer in shadow boards. They make it obvious where things go and what is missing.

Second, in addition to the "stick" you might try a "carrot". For example, if there are two different work areas, tell the two groups that you are going to inspect their work areas every day for a week, and whichever group does a better job of cleaning up and putting things away, will get some sort of reward (even if it is a box of donuts).
    You could also make an eBay account and send out links to people who are "missing" things...
    Solfe

Funnily enough I mentioned just yesterday about implementing shadow boards. I agree they are a great way of keeping tabs, thanks for the ideas, I may give the inspection and reward scheme a go.

Its frustrating how you have to resort to treating grown up people like children.

Sounds like my former company. I really don't think treating employees like children is such a great idea.

The bottle of my mood stabilizer is missing. I didn't really notice being on it, but I'm definitely noticing being off it--I am very dizzy right now. Fortunately, I have a refill in. If I don't find it by the time Graham gets home ("missing" in this case is "probably under my desk"), I'm going to make him go get the refill for me. I don't want to drive like this.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The greenhouse/nursery is open until 5pm, car not here until 4:45 pm and it takes about 15 minutes to get there.
    (The business started about a km from where I am but they moved about 20 years ago )
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Apr-04 at 05:36 PM.

The greenhouse/nursery is open until 5pm, car not here until 4:45 pm and it takes about 15 minutes to get there.
    (The business started about a km from where I am but they moved about 20 years ago )
    That was the problem with my class uptown last semester. We got out at 5, the American Museum of Natural History was right across Central Park and closed at 5:45, and it took about 25 minutes to walk across. At least the museum is green for the last hour of the day, so I didn’t have to pay for those little 15-minute visits.

Employers/bosses thinking it's a good idea to tell employees to come up with bad stuff to say about themselves

people who throw their garbage out their car windows, no I don't want to pick up other people beer and pop cans,

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Employers/bosses thinking it's a good idea to tell employees to come up with bad stuff to say about themselves
    Each of my two longest term employers changed the annual review process every couple of years, making it worse each time. The last time I was asked to do one I just said to heck with it, I'll retire instead.

people who throw their garbage out their car windows, no I don't want to pick up other people beer and pop cans,
    Yes, THIS.

Yes, THIS.
    About three years ago, Mrs Extravoice was laid-off from her job after decades of service. For reasons we canít fathom (maybe something to do with a change from a pension plan to 401k forever ago) she receives a Visa debit card from the company once a year.

It has a value of ~$500, and can only be used for medical-related costs.

The part that bugs me is that every time we use it, she gets an email from the company demanding proof that the charge was for a medical fee.

Coincidentally, my current health plan makes use of a similar card, but they have never asked for proof that a charge is really medically related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

A few weeks ago on the way home I passed by a sushi shop and got 4 trays of left-over lunch-time sushi at half price. (A common lunch time take away "sushi" here is 6 or 8 "California rolls" in a plastic tray.)

The guy insisted on giving me two of the smaller items (large rice and seaweed wraps) as free add-ons. Nice.

Today, as I didn't feel like cooking (Friday, and son home from University for a holiday) I went by the same place and got 4 of the half price sushi trays again.

Different guy, no free add-ons.

Not actually upset by it, as I recognised the feeling before it began: being upset by not receiving something that was free and unexpected the first time.

How quickly a gift can feel like a right.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

This time it got my nerves because on the cans was just by neighbors mailbox, she is her 80's and probably couldn't bend over to pick it up.

Yes, THIS.
    This used to be common place in the 70s. My kids and their friends would rather be set on fire than toss something out the window. So, I guess things do get better.

On the annoying side, my son thinks that now he's a teenager he has a license to swear. No, he does not. This pairs up the attitude above because my son shouted something at a driver who tossed something out of the window as we drove by. I really, really disliked that scenario. I was not sure who to reprimand. I think I said: "He's a jerk... but don't swear at people."
    Solfe

I think there is a fine for throwing stuff out the window, plus sometimes it is an empty on the back of a pickup that just bounces out.

The car is gone again today still can't get seeds and they are not open on Sundays so far this year. And the neighbors are playing with four wheeler up and down the road plus working on a really loud engine while trying to listen podcasts.

This morning my wife got up and announced that today was the day we would get new phones. I just said "Yes, Deer" and we got new phones. They're very nice, but I get SO darned stressed every time I have to set up and learn new devices. I'm going to stop for now. I've at least got our usual text system going with the correct Doctor Who notifications and the Doctor who theme for my wife's ringtone. Unfortunately it doesn't have the "Medieval Jaunt" one I started using on mine after visiting Gillian at the Ren Faire a few years ago.

I don't know if this bugs or amuses me, but I've spent so much time hounding Simon to get ready for his school bus this week that I actually dreamed about it last night.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I pulled a muscle in my leg climbing over the baby gate yesterday.

"You can't erase icing."