Page 359 of 414 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409 ... LastLast
Results 10,741 to 10,770 of 12398

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Doggone it, I climbed up to the new house a couple of hours ago and after only half a dozen pictures the Canon DSLR shut down, out of battery. I just charged the dang thing before Christmas, and have taken only about 600 house pictures (plus Christmas pictures, of course) since then.

Posted here because I didn't want to start a "Trivial Things that are Awesome" thread.
    Only 600 pictures... I'd want a refund.

I don't get anything like that life on my DSLR, and always carry a couple of spare batteries.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It bugs me to see sloppy grammar and syntax in scientific websites among others. I will lean toward trivial in this one because it does not cause any serious difficulty in understanding.
    http://beltoforion.de/article.php?a=...imulator&hl=en
    This one was sort of amusing at the same time. I initially saw telltale syntax lapses that suggested poor instruction in writing skills, until I saw that the first two lines of the third paragraph are in German. That suggests a machine translation of a German original into English, with the author selecting whole blocks of text while accidentally overlooking those two lines which adjoin some mathematical text. The .de in the web address suggests German origin and reinforces my hunch. When I see how well our European friends in this forum write in English, I think the author of this piece should have sought help in cleaning up the translation before posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    It bugs me to see sloppy grammar and syntax in scientific websites among others.
    I've been reading a lot of Apollo documentation recently, for various projects. It was notable that errors which are often portrayed as being of recent origin were already firmly in place in the 1960s - quite a few missing apostrophes in possessives, and an example of "could of" instead of "could have".

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    When I see how well our European friends in this forum write in English ...
    I was once congratulated on my command of English. It was by a Canadian girl I was chatting to on a chairlift near Thunder Bay, Ontario, back in the '70s.
    "Where do you come from?" she asked.
    "Scotland," I replied.
    "Wow," she said. "You speak really good English."
    "Thank you," I said. "So do you."

Grant Hutchison

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I frequently bicycle to work, but never had the opportunity to do so on “National Bike to Work Day” because of my work schedule.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Once again, the fabric store had a pattern sale after the new collection was on the pattern maker's website but before they had gotten to the fabric store. And then when I decided to buy supplies to make the thing I did have a pattern for, they didn't have the size stuffed animal eyes and noses I need.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We have a local theme park called Darien Lake. It is own by a local resident, but day to day operation is handled by a national company invested in other theme parks. Every few years, they shop out this contract for the best price and who handles the day to day operations changes. It doesn't mean the park changes a lot. Occasionally we get a new ride the park couldn't have had access to on their own or some sort of branding changes, like Coke to Pepsi. For a while, it was a Six Flags at Darien Lake Theme Park, so they had a sign that said "Six Flags" and someone dressed up like Batman and Superman. Then it went to the company that runs Dollywood. The big change was taking the Six Flags signs down, rebranding "Halloween Frightnight" to "Harvest Fest", and super heroes were replaced with some sort of animal mascot that rarely appears. Dollywood is sort of rustic and Darien Lake is rustic, so not much could change.

No big deal.

Well, Six Flags will be handling the operations next year and people on Facebook are acting like this is some sort of disaster. Like this wasn't the case just 6 years ago. I was pretty happy with Six Flags. When the next company came in, I was really happy with them. I think there was a third company in the mix, and they were really good, too. People need to relax.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ... People need to relax.
    There are places they can go to do that, aren't there?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    There are places they can go to do that, aren't there?
    Some of them even have rides and themed fictional characters like superheros and animal mascots.

I think I just ate some bad probiotic yogurt.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I think I just ate some bad probiotic yogurt.
    Well, there's probably no such thing as good probiotic yoghurt.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, there's probably no such thing as good probiotic yoghurt.

Grant Hutchison
    Maybe we should instead try home made saur kraut? Or maybe those capsules designed to survive the stomach and release bacteria, usually the lacto types, into the colon where they usually live? The newish book "Gut" is a good introduction.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Maybe we should instead try home made saur kraut? Or maybe those capsules designed to survive the stomach and release bacteria, usually the lacto types, into the colon where they usually live? The newish book "Gut" is a good introduction.
    Well, faecal transplant works. Less fun than yoghurt, though.

Grant Hutchison

I don't know if we want to get too serious in this thread, but under the advice of my gastroenterologist, I have used an oral probiotic as part of my treatment for my ulcerative colitis for many years (along with more conventional drugs). When I first started seeing him, he was not keen on probiotics, but with increasing support from the literature, he eventually advised me to try them. Early on in this, I tried some experimentation, where I would be on the probiotic for a month, then off for a month (as a control). Based on those results, I began to take them full time and now have done so for years. I am convinced they help (but are not a cure), but I recognize that is anecdotal.

I also recognize that taking a regular probiotic capsule is not the same as the occasional cup of yogurt or yoghurt.

I just made some dip for crackers last night and today with some yogurt mom has in the fridge. Probably doing some good down there but just uncomfortable right now.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Not to get too serious i turned my life around by dropping most carbs, lost weight, lost sciatic pain and added various probiotics but not so scientifically as Swift reports. but most yoghurts even probiotic ones have too much sugar or complex sugar thickeners for my idea of acceptable sugar per day. So i stick to pure thick cream!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

It is, after all, spoiled milk pretty much by definition.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Old joke: Why doesn’t sour cream go bad? It already has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

My internet or wifi is really slow and keeps dropping today.

Yeah but tastes good in stuff like tzatziki.

Not to get too serious i turned my life around by dropping most carbs, lost weight, lost sciatic pain and added various probiotics but not so scientifically as Swift reports. but most yoghurts even probiotic ones have too much sugar or complex sugar thickeners for my idea of acceptable sugar per day. So i stick to pure thick cream!
    Trivial stuff that bugs me: Spelling yoghurt/yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Old joke: Why doesn’t sour cream go bad? It already has.
    And if you spoil it slightly differently, and press it down, you get cheese, which is probably humankind's greatest discovery.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I dropped most of the carbs in my diet. Today I spent 30 minutes swearing at my salad. "I hate this salad, I hate this salad, I hate this salad". I'd kill for a sandwich right about now.
    Solfe

And if you spoil it slightly differently, and press it down, you get cheese, which is probably humankind's greatest discovery.
    A history teacher of mine from high school (one of the reasons I wish you were on Facebook is that I think you'd really like her!) has said that, if she could only meet one person in human history, she'd want to meet the person who figured out how to make olives edible. Especially salt-cured olives.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I've eaten an olive straight off the tree. Just the one.
    Interesting, though.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A history teacher of mine from high school (one of the reasons I wish you were on Facebook is that I think you'd really like her!) has said that, if she could only meet one person in human history, she'd want to meet the person who figured out how to make olives edible. Especially salt-cured olives.
    I've eaten an olive straight off the tree. Just the one.
    Interesting, though.

Grant Hutchison
    I keep food grade lye on hand for pretzel making. If I had olives from-the-tree on the other hand, I'd certainly try my hand at curing them. Wait...that makes three hands.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I keep food grade lye on hand for pretzel making. If I had olives from-the-tree on the other hand, I'd certainly try my hand at curing them. Wait...that makes three hands.
    This can be the place for Mote in God's Eye references. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye

Dropping "on the gripping hand" references into the right conversation gets you double nerd points.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Threads closing while I'm typing. Always, of course, when I've spent some time crafting a clear statement of a complex situation, which I anticipate will move things forward constructively and calmly.
    During that time, either a one-liner war breaks out and the thing gets shut down quickly, or the vast implacable machinery of the mod Star Chamber ends its deliberations, and the shutters drop into place while I'm not looking.

Some of my best work going in the bin here, guys.

Grant Hutchison

Threads closing while I'm typing. Always, of course, when I've spent some time crafting a clear statement of a complex situation, which I anticipate will move things forward constructively and calmly.
    During that time, either a one-liner war breaks out and the thing gets shut down quickly, or the vast implacable machinery of the mod Star Chamber ends its deliberations, and the shutters drop into place while I'm not looking.

Some of my best work going in the bin here, guys.

Grant Hutchison
    "Yes, if only MoonMan had seen this post, I would have convinced him the moon landings were real".

You could always ask for the thread to be reopened, and illustrate the importance of doing so, but dazzling us with a sample of your craftsmanship. But I make no promises for a favorable outcome. We may just decide to add it to our private collection.

Or maybe start an OTB thread for "The Posts That Got Away" (or something like that) where people can post those missed opportunities.

Odd, I have the same problem as Dr. Grant, only the post closures, for the most part, save me from setting my own backside on fire. Metaphorically speaking.

As the board's leading member for accidental bouts of self immolation, literally speaking, about the third time it happens you learn not to panic and can actually finish what you're doing before you put yourself out. By the fifth time you can actually see the humor of how you did it again this time. Warning! Other people seem to find it highly disturbing if they see you laughing out loud while on fire. (Twenty-somethings can be such wusses.) It was only my pants and jacket for God's sake. Had hardly even bitten into flesh yet. But nooo, they talk, and give you nicknames like "Psycho".
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    <snip>
    As the board's leading member for accidental bouts of self immolation, literally speaking,
    Maybe that should read "... the board's still living leading member for accidental bouts of self immolation...."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Maybe that should read "... the board's still living leading member for accidental bouts of self immolation...."
    If you know of a board member who has accidentally set himself on fire and didn't die until the sixth time, please enlighten us.

(Ouch, that was bad.)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)