Results 11,701 to 11,730 of 12295

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Vera Lynn birthday today! Forces sweetheart still with us at 102
    Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
    Of course some do - well me at least. There were several songs of hers played on the radio last week just to celebrate her birthday. Even without a birthday to celebrate she is a regular on air. (Admittedly it is a Community radio station run by volunteers that caters for seniors.)

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Of course some do - well me at least. There were several songs of hers played on the radio last week just to celebrate her birthday. Even without a birthday to celebrate she is a regular on air. (Admittedly it is a Community radio station run by volunteers that caters for seniors.)
    Actually I was remembering a song, a (typically upbeat...) song by Roger Waters from The Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MummZBgO3Ek
    As above, so below

Actually I was remembering a song, a (typically upbeat...) song by Roger Waters from The Wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MummZBgO3Ek
    Sorry, if you listen to oldies radio you don't know about these newfangled only 40 year old songs.

Vera Lynn has had a number one album in the last decade. A compilation admittedly.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    "There'll be blue birds over, the white cliffs of Dover" oft played as is "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when" surely evidence of apostrophe use in pop culture under duress?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Somehow, I goofed a command in terminal and nuked my linux environment. Not even sure what I was doing in there (that explains it all) that caused so much trouble. Looking at backups now and thanking my stars for being ultra paranoid. I still have all of my files which is all I really need.
    Solfe

Hey Safeway, didja think we wouldn't notice?

For several years, we've been having Signature Kitchen Chicken Enchiladas for dinner once, sometimes twice, a month. The package states it contains five servings, and indeed, it always had five enchiladas running across the short dimension of the tray. The last couple of times, however, there have been only four enchiladas, running the long way of the tray but far short of either end. Obviously they are shorting on the actual chicken, and making it up to the same weight with more rice and sauce. I bet the price didn't change, either. The box even says "serving size: 1 enchilada" and "five servings", even though there are only four.

I think I'll ask for my money back.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    People who use double negatives tend to irritate me greatly. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I was messing the reclining mechanism on one of the seats in the boat and I couldn't get it to go back right. My dad finally fixes it and says, "Son, don't never do that again!" Technically, that meant I am supposed to that again.
    Don't study French (or Italian or Portuguese, for that matter), then. They all do it! "Je ne fais rien!"

But seriously, technically in English it doesn't necessarily mean you are supposed to do it again. The meaning of double negatives is ambiguous in English, as depending on the dialect and situation it can either be used for actual cancellation of the negation ("I do not disagree") or for emphasis ("I didn't do nothing", in non-standard English). It used to be more standard to use double negatives for negation (both Chaucer and Shakespeare used it), but it went out of fashion.
    As above, so below

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls

Re: Vera Lynn
    Last edited by DonM435; 2019-Mar-26 at 05:09 PM.

And now it's "Kiwigate".

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/foo...rth-98-million

(Previously I've moaned about "corngate" etc.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Don't study French (or Italian or Portuguese, for that matter), then. They all do it! "Je ne fais rien!"
    Russian also.

Unstable grocery carts. They sometimes yaw erratically because of damaged or otherwise defective casters.

Tapatalk.
    "69 New Posts in Whatever Thread!"
    Actual number of new posts: zero.
    Often with the latest one by me.
    Is there an alternative?

My daughter called to tell me that she was having connectivity issues with her WiFi modem and decided to reboot it back to factory settings.

Now it wants to connect to a computer via Ethernet cable. Unfortunately, she neither has a cable nor a computer with an Ethernet port.

Maybe she should have read all the instructions before starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

No, Irene, 5:30 AM is a fine time to wake up. I didn't need sleep.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I just stuck a pod in the Keuring machine and a message came up: "Oops, it appears this pod was not designed for us in Keurig(TM) brewing systems!" The pod in question was a Green Mountain product. Guess who owns Keurig. The others in the same box are fine, it was just made badly. The cynic in me says they might be doing that on purpose to increase sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just stuck a pod in the Keuring machine and a message came up: "Oops, it appears this pod was not designed for us in Keurig(TM) brewing systems!" The pod in question was a Green Mountain product. Guess who owns Keurig. The others in the same box are fine, it was just made badly. The cynic in me says they might be doing that on purpose to increase sales.
    I suspect the coffee machine people have learned the same lesson the printer people did: you make more money off the pods (ink cartridges) then you do off the machine.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Really should learned how to be organized earlier in life, sometimes it feels like I am working in the aftermath of a tornado.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I just replaced the squeeze bottle of Vaseline hand cream I keep on my office desk.

The old bottle had a flat flip-top, allowing it to sit upside down. This permitted the contents to stay near the opening (very handy when it got low).

The new bottle has a curved top, and the bottle falls if you turn it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I suspect the coffee machine people have learned the same lesson the printer people did: you make more money off the pods (ink cartridges) then you do off the machine.
    Oh, it's even worse than that. When Keurig introduced their "2nd Generation" machines, the biggest change was the ability to verify that the pods were "official", that is, that the maker was paying Green Mountain a royalty for each one. If it was just me, I'd have a plain old drip machine, but....

YouTube has many videos on how to bypass the Keurig Digital Rights Management.

I havenít tried them. I still have a 1st generation machine.

But seriously, technically in English it doesn't necessarily mean you are supposed to do it again. The meaning of double negatives is ambiguous in English, as depending on the dialect and situation it can either be used for actual cancellation of the negation ("I do not disagree") or for emphasis ("I didn't do nothing", in non-standard English). It used to be more standard to use double negatives for negation (both Chaucer and Shakespeare used it), but it went out of fashion.
    [lawyer mode] Exactly. "I do not disagree" and "I agree" are very different statements. [/lawyer mode]

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I just replaced the squeeze bottle of Vaseline hand cream I keep on my office desk.

The old bottle had a flat flip-top, allowing it to sit upside down. This permitted the contents to stay near the opening (very handy when it got low).

The new bottle has a curved top, and the bottle falls if you turn it over.
    Oh, this is another If I Ruled The World thing--all packaging would be designed so you could get the maximum amount out of it, including having bottles like that designed to drain downwards instead of being pumped upwards.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    YouTube has many videos on how to bypass the Keurig Digital Rights Management.

I havenít tried them. I still have a 1st generation machine.

My first-generation machine got colonized by ants. One day, it was fine, next day, it didn't work. I took it apart and they were everywhere inside it, including larvae and pupae. These were Little Black Ants, one of the worst of many plagues we had there. They are more commonly known as sugar ants or (urine)-ants, because of the amazingly strong smell you get when crushing such a tiny critter.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2019-Mar-29 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Forgot the link.

I really wish the "remember me" function on this site still worked.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    [lawyer mode] Exactly. "I do not disagree" and "I agree" are very different statements. [/lawyer mode]
    I do not disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I really wish the "remember me" function on this site still worked.
    Huh. It works for me, unless I delete my cookies.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Huh. It works for me, unless I delete my cookies.
    I access this site on multiple computers, and it remembers me on all of them.

https://phys.org/ has a new look, and I am not sure I like it. On the good side, the type is larger and it is easier for me to read.