Page 392 of 413 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394402 ... LastLast
Results 11,731 to 11,760 of 12378

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Huh. It works for me, unless I delete my cookies.
    Me as well. What has NEVER worked on this site is the search function.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    https://phys.org/ has a new look, and I am not sure I like it. On the good side, the type is larger and it is easier for me to read.
    On the slight chance you don't know, hold Ctrl then click "+" to enlarge.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I ran my cleaner a while ago; the cookies on this site are among the ones I've told it to save. But I guess they'd been changed and I didn't update which ones to save, because ever since, "Remember Me" has failed to work.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

It amazes me how different the text sizes are on different websites. Fortunately, after I use Control- or Control+ to make a site's text about the same as it is on the other sites I visit, my computer remembers that setting and displays the text at the size I want every time I use that site from then on. This keeps them all about the same on-screen size at all times with no more input from me after that first visit, with the only sign of the original difference being a number and a "%" at the right end of my address bar.

Unfortunately, the other major thing you're supposed to be able to do for font control in a browser doesn't work for me. In the options/preferences, there are settings where you're supposed to be able to tell it what font face and size to use for each of several different alphabets, including picking a backup face to resort to if it encounters a character that isn't defined in the primary face you've chosen. But the program always just entirely ignores whatever settings I pick there.

Me: "Ah, spring break. I'll get to sleep in!"

Irene, who usually sleeps until after Simon is on his bus: "That's what you think!" [wakes up earlier than I normally have to]

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Physics Forum disappears from Tapatalk but Tapatalk still intercepts the URL when I type it in a browser and then subsequently crashes.

I'm close enough to done with my sewing project that I'm constantly having to pick things out because they don't quite fit.

"You can't erase icing."

Trivial because nothing actually happened, but I almost got hit by a car in a parking lot yesterday. I was in the middle of a crosswalk when a lady started out from an adjacent row and turned left, right into me. She'd have hit me if I hadn't dodged. Scary.

Did you bang on the hood of the car and declare “Hey, I’m walkin’ here!”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

Movie trivia note: that scene was not scripted, they were filming in Times Square, a car cut through the shot, and Dustin Hoffman stayed completely in character.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

I did, in fact tell "Hey!"
    This afternoon I drove into the same parking lot the same lady was leaving in the same car. I'm going to be on the lookout for gray Kia Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm going to be on the lookout for gray Kia Souls.
    Are they on tour? What? that's not a rock band?

He collects the souls of Gray Kia; it's a Game of Thrones thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    This afternoon I drove into the same parking lot the same lady was leaving in the same car. I'm going to be on the lookout for gray Kia Souls.
    Perfect opportunity for the “I’m keeping an eye on you” hand gesture.

https://media.giphy.com/media/WHxgxuIHY6DSw/giphy.gif

Sometimes while writing something in open office I seem to hit the right key combination to delete most of the paragraph I am working on. Almost done like 1600-1700 word essay and just happened.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Sometimes when I feel really down, I make sure no pointy objects are near me, then I work for 10 minutes in Open Office, after which I switch to Microsoft Office. The skies open, music starts playing and life is worth living again. Open Office can make many functions so incredibly cumbersome/uncontrollable/simply not working like they should. MS Office is not holy, but overall it tends to work quite smoothly and intuitively. Try cropping an image in Open Office, oh dear.

Can't afford microsoft office, for what i use it for it works fine most of the time.

Yes, in a private context we have the same issue: MS Office is quite costly for a home user so we are using Open Office on the home PC as well. I am so happy I can use the real deal on my work PC.

Having being retired for 10 years now I have come to enjoy not driving in heavy traffic. Yesterday I had to rescue my son after his car broke down on the other side of the city - just on peak hour. Goodness me, driving around in peak hour traffic is certainly something that I haven't missed. I am glad that this was, hopefully, a once-off!

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Having being retired for 10 years now I have come to enjoy not driving in heavy traffic. Yesterday I had to rescue my son after his car broke down on the other side of the city - just on peak hour. Goodness me, driving around in peak hour traffic is certainly something that I haven't missed. I am glad that this was, hopefully, a once-off!
    Before we moved 5 years ago I had a 70 minute commute to work. I now have a 10 to 15 minute commute. Looking back, I wonder how I survived 10 years going 70 minutes each way.

Trivial Bugs that Bug Me: With the coming of Spring, we are once again being invaded by Little Black Ants. In our new house. They're too small to have any hope of keeping them out. I just went to fill the water reservoir on the Keurig machine and found it full of them. Then I looked under the machine and oh, my! We've previously had one ruined by them nesting in it, I'm afraid we're heading that way again. Attracted by the warmth and moisture, I suppose.

We went shopping early today and I was just about to go to the checkout we heard "Woop Woop Evacuate Now Woop Woop" ring out through the shopping centre. At first we all just stood and hoped it would stop. However we had to evacuate and leave our shopping behind. After about 10 minutes a fire truck & command vehicle turned up and eventually all the bells etc were silenced and we could go back inside. Both my wife and I, in different shops, heard that this was apparently the 3rd or 4th false alarm in a week or so. I imagine the Shopping Centre operators will be getting a testy phone call from the Fire Dept.

On thing that did intrigue us was that at my door there was a staff member with a flouro jacket and a 'walkie talkie' controlling the door. But at the door my wife used the warden only had a 'walkie talkie'with no jacket. At my office, where I was a floor fire warden for a fair while, all the wardens had helmets with different colours for the Chief Warden, Floor Warden, Fire Warden & First Aid Person. My wife also agreed that in the bigger offices where she worked the same coloured helmet system was in use. The whole process seemed a bit slipshod this morning - admittedly it is a smallish centre but there would still have been around a 500 people involved.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

My favorite on-line/catalog bicycle supplier (that I’ve been using since the mid 1980s) has gone out of business and also closed all their retail stores- after I finally moved near one.

Actually, someone took over the online business, and replaced it with a vastly inferior website with reduced selection, little description, and no customer reviews.

Checking my second-favorite online bike shop took me to an identical page, except for the logo. I guess they were absorbed, too.

My local bike shop is fine for repairs, but has severely limited clothing and accessories selection.

Last edited by Extravoice; 2019-Apr-22 at 02:51 PM.

I just saw the appointment reminder in my bulk mail folder for the kids' dental appointment. Yesterday afternoon at three. The time stamp shows that it was sent yesterday afternoon at two.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I just saw the appointment reminder in my bulk mail folder for the kids' dental appointment. Yesterday afternoon at three. The time stamp shows that it was sent yesterday afternoon at two.
    Idiots. My dentist does the reminder 24 hours in advance, usually by a phone call.

My dentist sends a text message to my iPhone about three weeks ahead, and follows up with a phone call the day before or earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Idiots. My dentist does the reminder 24 hours in advance, usually by a phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My dentist sends a text message to my iPhone about three weeks ahead, and follows up with a phone call the day before or earlier.
    Mine does about three weeks ahead and expects me to remember. Equally useless to Gillian's.

Then there's the oral surgeon I had for an extraction more than five years ago, whose "system" periodically sends reminders of non-existent appointments to everyone on their list.

I've just watched yet another YouTube video in which someone says something is "infinitesimally better" when they mean "infinitely". Pretty much opposite.

Of course, the fact that I've watched yet another YouTube video is also bugging me at the moment.

I have the feeling at times that I am accepting a short term job and hurting my chances at getting a long term career, and I just did it again.

I was experiencing formication a few minutes ago. That's the feeling that ants are crawling on your skin. The reason I had it was that ants actually were crawling on my skin. We've got the Little Black Ants again.