Page 393 of 432 FirstFirst ... 293343383391392393394395403 ... LastLast
Results 11,761 to 11,790 of 12957

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was experiencing formication a few minutes ago. That's the feeling that ants are crawling on your skin. The reason I had it was that ants actually were crawling on my skin. We've got the Little Black Ants again.
    This seems appropriate. I've copied this over and edited it lightly, since all the versions I could link to online seemed to use unnecessary language.

If Cthulhu can be summoned by humans who are so far beneath it, why can’t humans be summoned by ants?
    The answer is they should be.
    Well if a bunch of ants formed a circle in my house I’d certainly notice, try to figure out where they’d all come from, and possibly wreak destruction there.
    That’s why knowing and correctly pronouncing the true name is so important to the ritual. Imagine how impossible it would be to not go take a look if the circle of ants started chanting your name.

And they’re like, "You can’t leave because we drew a line made of tiny crystals - now you have to do us a favor".

And you’re thinking, let’s just see where this goes, so you say, "Okay, you got me… what’s the favor?"

And usually the favor is something like "kill this one ant for us" or "give me a pile of sugar" and you think… okay? And you do, because why not, it isn’t hard for you and boy is this going to be a crazy story to tell, all these ants chanting your name and wanting a spoonful of sugar or whatever.

And SOMEtimes you get asked for things you can’t really do. One of them, she’s like, "I love this ant but she won’t pay any attention to me, make me important to her" and you’re wondering… um? how? So you just kill every ant in the colony except the two of them, ta-da! problem solved! And the first ant is like *horrified whisper* "what have I done?"
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I didn't sleep through my alarm. I did, on the other hand, fall back to sleep for just long enough so that I now have to drive Simon to school, with all the issues that entails.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

This morning, not only would the site not leave me logged in, when I used the back button to get to the main page, it logged me out again.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I've been having bad luck with a library computer here myself today.

My teacher shows us screen caps of all tests a week before we take it. The last time she did this, a student in the back of the room walked to the front of the room and took pictures of each screen cap. She stood there for 5 minutes waiting for the professor to explain it all.

Today, the whole class received an email that started with "It has come to my attention that a student took pictures of the last test..." Yeah, they used a flash. How this escaped your attention is beyond me, especially when you commented on the flash, then asked the person by name to sit down and put away their phone.

Why does a professor buy themselves this much trouble and why would a student buy themselves this much trouble?
    Solfe

I was on a short business trip to Melbourne, Florida in the middle of this past week, and found that I had a clear view up the coast toward Cape Canaveral from my hotel room’s balcony.

Through pure coincidence, a SpaceX launch was scheduled for Wed AM. Sadly, it was postponed and I didn’t get to see the launch.

At least I didn’t travel there for the purpose of seeing the launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My teacher shows us screen caps of all tests a week before we take it.
    That seems odd.

...a student...took pictures...
    Welcome to the 21st century, teacher.

Why does a professor buy themselves this much trouble and why would a student buy themselves this much trouble?
    Back in my day, we weren’t handed answers ahead of time, we had to steal them

(Actually, there was a “scandal” where students realized that a professor continually recycled exams from previous years. The lazy professor considered it cheating for students to ask an upperclassman for a copy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    (Actually, there was a “scandal” where students realized that a professor continually recycled exams from previous years. The lazy professor considered it cheating for students to ask an upperclassman for a copy.)
    In many of my classes (especially once I got to graduate school), we were told straight out that the exams would probably use problems from the exams from past years (with numbers changed around), and those past exams were either on file in the department for request, or the professor would just hand out copies for students to study.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Software: Thank you for downloading the latest version of Quicken.
    We'd like to place all your banking and investment information online to make it easier for hackers you to have access to your institution names, account,numbers, balances, and to allow the ability to initiate transactions from our website.

M'kay?

Me: <explative> no!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Software: Thank you for downloading the latest version of Quicken.
    We'd like to place all your banking and investment information online to make it easier for hackers you to have access to your institution names, account,numbers, balances, and to allow the ability to initiate transactions from our website.

M'kay?

Me: <explative> no!
    That's like every time I buy something online and the site asks to save my credit card information to make it easier (for hackers to steal) for future orders. NO!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That's like every time I buy something online and the site asks to save my credit card information to make it easier (for hackers to steal) for future orders. NO!
    Most righteous.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I have this feeling that a spring job I do got axed, haven't heard form them and haven't seen any job postings from them either. The company cut 500 jobs last summer.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    In many of my classes (especially once I got to graduate school), we were told straight out that the exams would probably use problems from the exams from past years (with numbers changed around), and those past exams were either on file in the department for request, or the professor would just hand out copies for students to study.
    I had a teacher who used scan-trons and the answer key was always "a-b-a-c-a-d-a-b-a" or "abracadabra", without the r's.

I had different teacher, a chem professor who put the lowest scoring student's test in the a display box outside of the classroom, with a savage critique of the what was wrong which included a walk through of how to get the correct answer. He whited out the name, but the student targeted was always mortified. The point wasn't shame, there was a correspondence between what that student did wrong and what everyone did wrong. Those questions would be on the next test, except with different values. It was the answer key, unless you couldn't do math.

I ended up finding a great lab partner because she was targeted and cried until I told her he had just given her many of the answers to the next test's questions, and so far, only the two of us realized it. After a while people started asking good questions before the tests which raised the lowest grade well above failing, at which point the tests were no longer put on display.

At the same school, I had a drafting professor that would display the highest scoring tests in the case outside of his room. His classroom was in the math department due to a lack of space in the engineering department. The tests always included shapes that were impossible to construct with a simple (collapsing) compass and straight edge. Since there was no explanation of the tools on the tests, a lot of math students got the wrong idea and though we were doing the impossible.
    Solfe

Enrollment fraud.

There’s a family who owns a house in our townhouse community but only uses it as a mail drop and “legal” domicile so their son can attend a good local school and play on the baseball team. Never seen these people and they sleep at least 15 miles away in a different school district and in a different county. They come by a couple of times a month to collect their mail. Guess they have lots of money to afford the house, taxes and association dues.

We sent an email to residents in our community asking if there were seniors who would like their names on a “congratulations graduates” banner that would be displayed on our neighborhood entranceway.

The ghost parents submitted their kid’s name. Arrrghh!!!!

Turns out he was the only graduate (it’s a small community) so....no banner.

There are some legitimate reasons for it--children who are in danger in their own district for some reason, or live in a district with insufficient schools. But of course there are better ways to handle that on a systemic level.

"You can't erase icing."

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

The dad is a wealthy physician and (guessing) didn’t like the schools in their native county. And wanted the kid to play baseball on a good team. Or a host of reasons. And once ghost kid graduates this month I expect the house to go on the market. If they decide to move in and downsize...well, OK. I like my crow medium well with salsa please.

But I ain’t expecting it.

ETA: I don’t understand why they just didn’t put the kid in private school. There are very good ones in their county and that would have been far cheaper than buying a townhouse and not living in it. But then....baseball.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-May-05 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    The dad is a wealthy physician and (guessing) didn’t like the schools in their native county. And wanted the kid to play baseball on a good team. Or a host of reasons. And once ghost kid graduates this month I expect the house to go on the market. If they decide to move in and downsize...well, OK. I like my crow medium well with salsa please.

But I ain’t expecting it.

ETA: I don’t understand why they just didn’t put the kid in private school. There are very good ones in their county and that would have been far cheaper than buying a townhouse and not living in it. But then....baseball.
    Sometimes it has to do about the sports. There is a famous hockey player from here but as a teenager had to play in a bigger city to get noticed, so he played for teams in the bigger city. I don't if he had to move there or roomed with some family to do that. The school you neighbor wants their son to attend is probably better known to scouts. Generally if the other country is the one I am thinking of has better results on certain tests, so I don't see it on a academic level.

Enrollment fraud.

There’s a family who owns a house in our townhouse community but only uses it as a mail drop and “legal” domicile so their son can attend a good local school and play on the baseball team. Never seen these people and they sleep at least 15 miles away in a different school district and in a different county. They come by a couple of times a month to collect their mail. Guess they have lots of money to afford the house, taxes and association dues.

We sent an email to residents in our community asking if there were seniors who would like their names on a “congratulations graduates” banner that would be displayed on our neighborhood entranceway.

The ghost parents submitted their kid’s name. Arrrghh!!!!

Why does it bother you so much?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    There places like Vancouver where it has gotten so expensive to buy a house that the locals can't afford to buy the house.Who is buying these houses and condos, a lot of time is people buying them for investment proposes, for AirBnb, or to resale at higher price. Having a house where someone could be living empty just for their kid to go to a school is wasteful.

… The ghost parents submitted their kid’s name. Arrrghh!!!!

Shoulda put up the banner but misspelled the name. See if they complain.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Well, it's trivial and only rose to "bugging" status when they had the nerve to want the kids name on the neighborhood graduation banner. Which would likely be used by the family as evidence to the school board that they really do live in the district, if ever called on it. And I guess it bugs me because it's another example of wealthy people getting their way regardless of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Shoulda put up the banner but misspelled the name. See if they complain.
    I thought about that. And since I was the guy tasked with sourcing the banner.... :evilgrin:

My alarm went off at 4:50 yesterday evening. Which means it didn't go off at 4:50 yesterday morning, when I thought I set it to. And Graham hasn't called, or if he has, I didn't hear my phone, so I don't know when he woke up and got on base. I feel guilty.

"You can't erase icing."

We are well into the "but why should I have to go to bed?" stretch, as it's now light more than an hour after bedtime.

"You can't erase icing."

There's any easy solution for that: you just have to calmly explain that in the summer, the sun goes down really late so you have to go to bed before the sun goes down.

And repeat it every day again and again for 6 months straight, until it gets dark before bedtime again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We are well into the "but why should I have to go to bed?" stretch, as it's now light more than an hour after bedtime.
    That was my gripe about daylight saving time as a 10-year-old astronomy buff while school was still in session during May and early June. My parents insisted that I go to bed about 8:30 on school nights when I wanted to stay up and look at the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We, on the other hand are getting "Meow, it's light out, meow, I don't care if it's 5:00 am, MEOW!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We, on the other hand are getting "Meow, it's light out, meow, I don't care if it's 5:00 am, MEOW!
    The two kittens we picked up (1 y/o each) have a habit of running around the house at 3 am in a game of tag or something. Last night one ran over me, clawed me good on my left elbow, so I woke up screaming bad words and bleeding all over our sofa cover. It's gross. Forgot how to get bloodstains out of stuff.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The two kittens we picked up (1 y/o each) have a habit of running around the house at 3 am in a game of tag or something. ...
    Ours do that too, scuffling and wrestling as well, with the younger, smaller one usually the instigator. They sleep for hours just to build up these bursts of energy, ignoring my own biorythms.

Forgot how to get bloodstains out of stuff.
    Cold water.

"You can't erase icing."

The two kittens we picked up (1 y/o each) have a habit of running around the house at 3 am in a game of tag or something. Last night one ran over me, clawed me good on my left elbow, so I woke up screaming bad words and bleeding all over our sofa cover. It's gross. Forgot how to get bloodstains out of stuff.
    Traditionally, the answer is club soda.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright