Page 397 of 409 FirstFirst ... 297347387395396397398399407 ... LastLast
Results 11,881 to 11,910 of 12248

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I wonder how many people are actually complaining about that, and how many are trolling.
    Fair question, but watch the follow-up comments to pick out the people posting the rudest comments and the 20-page theses. Incels are the worst.

I wonder how many people are actually complaining about that, and how many are trolling.
    I'm betting most are sincere. Unearned power privilege is a hell of a drug.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    These are the same self proclaimed macho men who complain about the success of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.

"Disposition" those guys!
    I wonder how they would fair splitting wood in 30 C heat, tilling soil with a hundred blackflies and mosquitoes around them, lift heavy furniture, carry a heavy stick of fir brush on their backs or walk in waist high snow for the fun of it. Most of them would do it for five minutes think it is miller time and think they are tougher than everyone else.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I wonder how they would fair splitting wood in 30 C heat, tilling soil with a hundred blackflies and mosquitoes around them, lift heavy furniture, carry a heavy stick of fir brush on their backs or walk in waist high snow for the fun of it. Most of them would do it for five minutes think it is miller time and think they are tougher than everyone else.
    It's not that they think they could do those things (and most of them do think that), it's that they feel superior because they assume women can't.

ADDED: Personally, I don't think physical abilities have anything to do with personal merit, but some folks do.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2019-May-29 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Fair question, but watch the follow-up comments to pick out the people posting the rudest comments and the 20-page theses. Incels are the worst.
    Got a link?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Got a link?
    You want to read the comments section... on purpose? Bold choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Apparently they're currently complaining about how they're forcing a female lead into the new Terminator movie, having I guess never seen the first two.
    "Linda Hamilton" sounds so manly... said no one.

lol.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I get upset when I see YouTube videos or Facebook threads about how awful certain movies were, when I particularly loved those movies.

1. Ghostbusters (2016): This was the funniest thing ever. It was fully on the same level as the original Ghostbusters for sheer comedy, pacing, dramatic scenes, unexpected twists, wild and crazy events, and special effects. So many people who don't like the new version can't resist mentioning their dislike for women in the movie's lead roles. [Long section on incels left out, including my desired disposition for the same.] Would I have preferred a sequel to the original movie? No, they did that and it wasn't as good. Plus we got the real Winston Z back. GB2016 was a winner in my book.
    Let's be clear, though, that whether you like a movie or not is based on subjective criteria, and people can dislike or even hate this movie without being bigots.

I don't have a Facebook account, I don't comment on YouTube, and this movie wasn't a big deal for me. That said, when I originally saw the trailer I wasn't impressed - it looked like they were telling essentially the same story, slightly modernized, and the only real selling point was that they gender-swapped the main characters. I would have been far more interested if instead they had second generation ghostbusters with a somewhat different story.

I eventually saw it on cable, and I didn't see reason to change my opinion. I thought it was "okay." Not terrible, not great. I liked it about as much as Ghostbusters II (which also seemed to me to be a retread of the first movie).

Of course that's entirely subjective. I think it's entirely fine whether someone likes or dislikes this movie.

But I guess one thing that bugs me is that there are certain things you can't seem to criticize today without invoking a list of certain bigots. What annoyed me regarding this movie was the nature of the argument. Yes, in this case, there were people who clearly didn't like the movie because of bigotry, but even in the short time I looked at a few debates on this movie, I saw many people being accused of being bigots simply for saying they didn't like the movie.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    But I guess one thing that bugs me is that there are certain things you can't seem to criticize today without invoking a list of certain bigots. What annoyed me regarding this movie was the nature of the argument. Yes, in this case, there were people who clearly didn't like the movie because of bigotry, but even in the short time I looked at a few debates on this movie, I saw many people being accused of being bigots simply for saying they didn't like the movie.
    And there are also many, many bigots. (And they usually make it clear within seconds of criticizing the movie, why they're criticizing the movie, and it ain't because of the jokes.) They drown out the actual constructive criticisms with their venom.

Sure, some people are going to lump together all those who voice less than glowing opinions of the film or any female-lead projects. It's wrong, but there is if not a valid excuse, then at least understandable motivation for that; that the apologists and defenders of such works are so used to hearing the same vitriol couched as criticism that they now have a knee jerk reaction against it all.

Sure, some people are going to lump together all those who voice less than glowing opinions of the film or any female-lead projects. It's wrong, but there is if not a valid excuse, then at least understandable motivation for that; that the apologists and defenders of such works are so used to hearing the same vitriol couched as criticism that they now have a knee jerk reaction against it all.
    I see a lot of "lumping together" on the internet, by different sides of different subjects. It's one reason why I wouldn't bother getting into discussions on major social media sites. There seems to be far too much of people just yelling at each other, making unsupported claims about each other, and not listening to each other. I think it tends to lead to polarization, since people who tend to take more moderate positions just give up.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I see a lot of "lumping together" on the internet, by different sides of different subjects. It's one reason why I wouldn't bother getting into discussions on major social media sites. There seems to be far too much of people just yelling at each other, making unsupported claims about each other, and not listening to each other. I think it tends to lead to polarization, since people who tend to take more moderate positions just give up.
    Yes.

(I was going to mock-argue as a joke but it's really not funny. Or trivial.)

You want to read the comments section... on purpose? Bold choice.
    I'm just curious.

Gillian's original post even started with "Apparently," so I'm assuming she hasn't actually seen any significant number of these complaints, but she's seen complaints about these complaints.

A couple years ago, there was (apparently!) a controversy regarding Starbucks' Christmas cups being too secular, but I never actually heard (or read) anybody say "These cups are too secular!" All I heard was people saying, "What's wrong with these people who think these cups are too secular?!"

I'm just curious.

Gillian's original post even started with "Apparently," so I'm assuming she hasn't actually seen any significant number of these complaints, but she's seen complaints about these complaints.

A couple years ago, there was (apparently!) a controversy regarding Starbucks' Christmas cups being too secular, but I never actually heard (or read) anybody say "These cups are too secular!" All I heard was people saying, "What's wrong with these people who think these cups are too secular?!"
    Apparently you’re not watching the right news channel.

And that’s about as far as we can take it.

Frankly, if you're trolling bigotry, I'm perfectly okay with lumping you in with the bigots. Whether the people who drove Kelly Marie Tran off social media genuinely cared about having an Asian woman in Star Wars or not doesn't change that they were willing to pretend they did, and at a certain point, the distinction is unimportant.

As it happens, I don't read any of the places where these arguments would come up. No interest in giving them the clicks.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm just curious.

I live in a very conservative part of the country, and I hear the complaints first hand and all too often. And cups are the least of it.

And that's all I can say here.

My computer mouse is dying. Gotta get a new one.

My computer mouse is dying. Gotta get a new one.
    Too bad it didn't have any babies before getting sick. Otherwise you could have used one of them.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Too bad it didn't have any babies before getting sick. Otherwise you could have used one of them.

He'll be here all week, don't forget to tip those waiters.

Computer mice can live a long time if well-cared-for, and enjoy cheese just like other mice:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mice-cheese-3299087.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	24241
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I wore out the rear tyre on my bicycle and got it replaced. Within 7 days I had my first puncture for 3 years - on that wheel and it was on the side of the tube. It then took me two goes to get a patch to stick. It is possible that they pinched the thorn resistant tube when they replaced the tyre but you can't really tell.

I stumbled across the self-proclaimed "flagship podcast" of the Baltimore Sun newspaper about last year's flooding in Ellicott City, Maryland.
    A few sentences into the podcast, the producer says, "Me and the producer went to..."

Really? I can (barely) accept that construction in informal conversation, but this is the "flagship podcast" of a major city newspaper. Ugh!.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Ugh indeed. Compound pronouns infuriate me, because so many people get them wrong and it's so easy to get them right. Just think what it would be with only one of the parties. Would the producer ever have said "Me went to..."? Of course not. But people who would never say "Me went to" or "him went to" are constantly coming up with "me and him went to".

Years ago, I actually stopped listening to a particular radio station because they were constantly playing a song that included the line "for she and I".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

On top of the wrong pronoun, was the fact that she listed herself first. I had it drilled into me that you always list yourself last as a show of respect for the other parties.

But in today’s age of narcissism, I shouldn’t expect anything different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Unfortunately, because so many people get it wrong, you hear it everywhere. And if you construct your sentences based on what 'sounds right' then you'll often repeat the error just because it's so familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Unfortunately, because so many people get it wrong, you hear it everywhere. And if you construct your sentences based on what 'sounds right' then you'll often repeat the error just because it's so familiar.
    Yup. And having a large media outlet repeat it only amplifies and confirms it as "correct": Well, if the newspaper lady says it that way, it must be right!

I was once a magazine editor for a periodical with a pass-along readership of a quarter million. As editor, I made my entire staff read everything I wrote to ensure that nothing I wrote had any errors in it. It's the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Years ago, I actually stopped listening to a particular radio station because they were constantly playing a song that included the line "for she and I".
    Poetic license.

(I wonder what song you're thinking of. "Life is a Highway" includes the line "There was a distance between you and I," same problem).

^ That one irritates me. I don't see any poetic justification for it. Sure, "I" rhymes with "eye", but given the pace and timing of that part of the song, and the lack of rhyme elsewhere in the lyrics, it's unimportant. It's just poor English.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

You must love "Redemption Song" then.
    As above, so below

Poetic license.

(I wonder what song you're thinking of. "Life is a Highway" includes the line "There was a distance between you and I," same problem).
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    ^ That one irritates me. I don't see any poetic justification for it. Sure, "I" rhymes with "eye", but given the pace and timing of that part of the song, and the lack of rhyme elsewhere in the lyrics, it's unimportant. It's just poor English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    You must love "Redemption Song" then.
    Not familiar with those. I also stopped listening to the station for a while when they kept playing a song called "Burns like a Rocket" for about four days after 28 January 1986, and permanently when they were playing a racist piece of (insert bad word here) by Hank Williams Jr. It was a country and western station, of course.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.