Page 398 of 411 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,940 of 12308

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

  1. #11911
    Having wi-fi or internet problems, it is really slow, so I might be posting as usual.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  2. #11912
    The internet is working better since the dehumidifer was turned off so it was probably that.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  3. #11913
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,117
    It bugs me that I suck at Google research. And before you ask, it's also the same on Bing and similar search engines. So the problem is me.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  4. #11914
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It bugs me that I suck at Google research. And before you ask, it's also the same on Bing and similar search engines. So the problem is me.
    Sometimes my problem is that I know in principle what I am searching for, but I don't know what words to put into a search engine. Sometimes there is no substitute for a good reference librarian in an astronomy or physics library at a college or university. Unfortunately these libraries are generally not open to the general public.

  5. #11915
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It bugs me that I suck at Google research. And before you ask, it's also the same on Bing and similar search engines. So the problem is me.
    If it is people you are looking for, some people don't want to be found online. I know a couple of people I know from high school who are like that. Some days I wish I was the same way.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  6. #11916
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Sometimes my problem is that I know in principle what I am searching for, but I don't know what words to put into a search engine. Sometimes there is no substitute for a good reference librarian in an astronomy or physics library at a college or university. Unfortunately these libraries are generally not open to the general public.
    WORD. What you said. The words you enter are often what counts, and ditto on the physics libraries.

    Um... what are you looking for, NCN?

  7. #11917
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    WORD. What you said. The words you enter are often what counts, and ditto on the physics libraries.

    Um... what are you looking for, NCN?
    In general I always have trouble.

    But in this case, it's for a thread, I was looking for the density of cosmic dust in the Milky Way's spiral arms and whether it has any effect on orbits in the Solar System.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  8. #11918
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    But in this case, it's for a thread, I was looking for the density of cosmic dust in the Milky Way's spiral arms and whether it has any effect on orbits in the Solar System.
    Maybe it's the search engine. Try the SAO/NASA ADS search engine for papers.

    http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/

  9. #11919
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,920
    "We have made a shipping label" is not the same thing as "shipped."
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  10. #11920
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    In general I always have trouble.

    But in this case, it's for a thread, I was looking for the density of cosmic dust in the Milky Way's spiral arms and whether it has any effect on orbits in the Solar System.
    I can help with that. Various sources over many decades place an upper bound of about as much matter between the stars as in them. That makes about a solar mass in a radius of about 5 light years, and if evenly distributed would make about 10-12solar mass out to the orbit of Neptune. I would expect that to be negligible, even if increased tenfold by the reputed dark matter.

  11. #11921
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "We have made a shipping label" is not the same thing as "shipped."
    "Necessary, but not sufficient."

  12. #11922
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Trivial stuff that bugs me. Yeah, I got one about an earworm. I remember it all very well lookin' back, it was the summer I turned eighteen. We lived in a one-room rundown shack on the outskirts of New Orleans. We didn't have money for food or rent--to say the least we were hard pressed. Then, Mama spent every last penny we had to buy me a dancin' dress.

  13. #11923
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Trivial stuff that bugs me. Yeah, I got one about an earworm. I remember it all very well lookin' back, it was the summer I turned eighteen. We lived in a one-room rundown shack on the outskirts of New Orleans. We didn't have money for food or rent--to say the least we were hard pressed. Then, Mama spent every last penny we had to buy me a dancin' dress.
    So what was the earworm?

    Grant Hutchison

  14. #11924
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,548
    Coming back to the subject of Ghostbusters 2016: I have absolutely zero problems with female lead characters. I do have a problem when "we just remade an old movie and the gender swapped lead character is our unique selling point" is the plot. Things like Ghostbusters 2016, Taxi 2004. Especially Taxi 2004 hurt, given that the original was rather close to perfection.

    In some cases gender swapping makes for an interesting "alternate history", like when they redid "What women want" as "what men want". Good thinking there. Or Ocean's 8, which is a sequel rather than a remake. And I can't even begin to count excellent original movies with stellar female lead characters (but Alien, Brave and Miss Congeniality cover a lot of the spectrum between them ).

    But I wouldn't want to watch "Charlene's Angels", "Tomb Raider starring Larry Croft", "Gone Boy", "My brother's keeper", "Amelio Poulain"... if they didn't really add anything to the original but just gender swapped for the (commercial) heck of it.

  15. #11925
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Ghostbusters 2016 was genuinely funny. It had excellent plot twists throughout, great one-liners, great actors, and was just an awesome watch. Thumbs up here.

  16. #11926
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,548
    For some reason I also didn't like the original Ghostbusters, so I'd have been a tough audience for any remake of that particular movie anyway.

  17. #11927
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    I will say that the trailers for the new Brad Pitt SF movie are very confusing and not looking very realistic. Have no idea what is going on there.

  18. #11928
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So what was the earworm?

    Grant Hutchison
    Song: Fancy
    Genre: Country
    Artist: Bobbie Gentry, 1969
    Covered by Reba McEntire 1991

  19. #11929
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Song: Fancy
    Genre: Country
    Artist: Bobbie Gentry, 1969
    Covered by Reba McEntire 1991
    That song bugged me a lot, as of course it was about prostituting your kid to get out of poverty. The radio DJs in Louisville hated it and couldn't figure out why it was popular.

  20. #11930
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I will say that the trailers for the new Brad Pitt SF movie are very confusing and not looking very realistic. Have no idea what is going on there.
    Someone in the trailer's YouTube comments actually showed a glim of intelligence; it's Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. In space.

    It looks like the film has a lot to unpack and will probably require its own thread over in the SMAL forum.

  21. #11931
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,971
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Song: Fancy
    Genre: Country
    Artist: Bobbie Gentry, 1969
    Covered by Reba McEntire 1991
    Thanks.
    It was kind of a joke, though - taking what Roger E. Moore wrote as a reminscence of his own childhood, rather than a quote from a country song.
    While I enjoy country songs, they do have rather a tendency to celebrate bad parenting decisions.

    Grant Hutchison

  22. #11932
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Thanks.
    It was kind of a joke, though - taking what Roger E. Moore wrote as a reminscence of his own childhood, rather than a quote from a country song.
    While I enjoy country songs, they do have rather a tendency to celebrate bad parenting decisions.

    Grant Hutchison
    Oh, I reckoned as much, and thought the same thing. But since it bugged me that I couldn't recall the song I did the research, and as we all know when it comes to research it's publish or perish.

  23. #11933
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    "Tomb Raider starring Larry Croft"
    You know, I think that one actually came first and it was called “Raider of the Ark” or something like that.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  24. #11934
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    While I enjoy country songs, they do have rather a tendency to celebrate bad parenting decisions.
    Yes, and why that is true is something for future archaeologists to debate.

  25. #11935
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Coming back to the subject of Ghostbusters 2016: I have absolutely zero problems with female lead characters. I do have a problem when "we just remade an old movie and the gender swapped lead character is our unique selling point" is the plot. Things like Ghostbusters 2016, Taxi 2004.
    The Ghostbusters plot was different enough to me. There was a Big Bad in Ghostbusters II, and no one complained it "Remade" the original.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2019-Jun-07 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  26. #11936
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,548
    I never found the courage to even watch GBII.

  27. #11937
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I can help with that. Various sources over many decades place an upper bound of about as much matter between the stars as in them. That makes about a solar mass in a radius of about 5 light years, and if evenly distributed would make about 10-12solar mass out to the orbit of Neptune. I would expect that to be negligible, even if increased tenfold by the reputed dark matter.
    OK, thanks. I've been trying to find some observations giving density distribution data in Spiral Arms, as opposed to evenly, but that gives me a baseline (and the all important keywords) to search from.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  28. #11938
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    You know, I think that one actually came first and it was called “Raider of the Ark” or something like that.
    You're thinking of that Noah movie.

  29. #11939
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I never found the courage to even watch GBII.
    I've never even seen the first one. For the longest time I thought Sta-Puft was a real brand of marshmallows.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  30. #11940
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,920
    I saw the second one in the theatre the summer it came out; both my sisters were away, and my mom took me to a local cheap theatre, and that was what was playing. I didn't like it. I didn't see the first one until a couple of years ago, and I didn't like that, much, either.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Similar Threads

  1. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  2. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  3. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  4. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-29, 01:44 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •