Page 398 of 411 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,940 of 12308

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Having wi-fi or internet problems, it is really slow, so I might be posting as usual.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The internet is working better since the dehumidifer was turned off so it was probably that.

It bugs me that I suck at Google research. And before you ask, it's also the same on Bing and similar search engines. So the problem is me.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It bugs me that I suck at Google research. And before you ask, it's also the same on Bing and similar search engines. So the problem is me.
    Sometimes my problem is that I know in principle what I am searching for, but I don't know what words to put into a search engine. Sometimes there is no substitute for a good reference librarian in an astronomy or physics library at a college or university. Unfortunately these libraries are generally not open to the general public.

If it is people you are looking for, some people don't want to be found online. I know a couple of people I know from high school who are like that. Some days I wish I was the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Sometimes my problem is that I know in principle what I am searching for, but I don't know what words to put into a search engine. Sometimes there is no substitute for a good reference librarian in an astronomy or physics library at a college or university. Unfortunately these libraries are generally not open to the general public.
    WORD. What you said. The words you enter are often what counts, and ditto on the physics libraries.

Um... what are you looking for, NCN?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    WORD. What you said. The words you enter are often what counts, and ditto on the physics libraries.

Um... what are you looking for, NCN?
    In general I always have trouble.

But in this case, it's for a thread, I was looking for the density of cosmic dust in the Milky Way's spiral arms and whether it has any effect on orbits in the Solar System.

But in this case, it's for a thread, I was looking for the density of cosmic dust in the Milky Way's spiral arms and whether it has any effect on orbits in the Solar System.
    Maybe it's the search engine. Try the SAO/NASA ADS search engine for papers.

http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/

"We have made a shipping label" is not the same thing as "shipped."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

In general I always have trouble.

I can help with that. Various sources over many decades place an upper bound of about as much matter between the stars as in them. That makes about a solar mass in a radius of about 5 light years, and if evenly distributed would make about 10-12solar mass out to the orbit of Neptune. I would expect that to be negligible, even if increased tenfold by the reputed dark matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "We have made a shipping label" is not the same thing as "shipped."
    "Necessary, but not sufficient."

Trivial stuff that bugs me. Yeah, I got one about an earworm. I remember it all very well lookin' back, it was the summer I turned eighteen. We lived in a one-room rundown shack on the outskirts of New Orleans. We didn't have money for food or rent--to say the least we were hard pressed. Then, Mama spent every last penny we had to buy me a dancin' dress.

Trivial stuff that bugs me. Yeah, I got one about an earworm. I remember it all very well lookin' back, it was the summer I turned eighteen. We lived in a one-room rundown shack on the outskirts of New Orleans. We didn't have money for food or rent--to say the least we were hard pressed. Then, Mama spent every last penny we had to buy me a dancin' dress.
    So what was the earworm?

Grant Hutchison

Coming back to the subject of Ghostbusters 2016: I have absolutely zero problems with female lead characters. I do have a problem when "we just remade an old movie and the gender swapped lead character is our unique selling point" is the plot. Things like Ghostbusters 2016, Taxi 2004. Especially Taxi 2004 hurt, given that the original was rather close to perfection.

In some cases gender swapping makes for an interesting "alternate history", like when they redid "What women want" as "what men want". Good thinking there. Or Ocean's 8, which is a sequel rather than a remake. And I can't even begin to count excellent original movies with stellar female lead characters (but Alien, Brave and Miss Congeniality cover a lot of the spectrum between them ).

But I wouldn't want to watch "Charlene's Angels", "Tomb Raider starring Larry Croft", "Gone Boy", "My brother's keeper", "Amelio Poulain"... if they didn't really add anything to the original but just gender swapped for the (commercial) heck of it.

Ghostbusters 2016 was genuinely funny. It had excellent plot twists throughout, great one-liners, great actors, and was just an awesome watch. Thumbs up here.

For some reason I also didn't like the original Ghostbusters, so I'd have been a tough audience for any remake of that particular movie anyway.

I will say that the trailers for the new Brad Pitt SF movie are very confusing and not looking very realistic. Have no idea what is going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So what was the earworm?

Grant Hutchison
    Song: Fancy
    Genre: Country
    Artist: Bobbie Gentry, 1969
    Covered by Reba McEntire 1991

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    That song bugged me a lot, as of course it was about prostituting your kid to get out of poverty. The radio DJs in Louisville hated it and couldn't figure out why it was popular.

I will say that the trailers for the new Brad Pitt SF movie are very confusing and not looking very realistic. Have no idea what is going on there.
    Someone in the trailer's YouTube comments actually showed a glim of intelligence; it's Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. In space.

It looks like the film has a lot to unpack and will probably require its own thread over in the SMAL forum.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Thanks.
    It was kind of a joke, though - taking what Roger E. Moore wrote as a reminscence of his own childhood, rather than a quote from a country song.
    While I enjoy country songs, they do have rather a tendency to celebrate bad parenting decisions.

Grant Hutchison

Thanks.
    It was kind of a joke, though - taking what Roger E. Moore wrote as a reminscence of his own childhood, rather than a quote from a country song.
    While I enjoy country songs, they do have rather a tendency to celebrate bad parenting decisions.

Grant Hutchison
    Oh, I reckoned as much, and thought the same thing. But since it bugged me that I couldn't recall the song I did the research, and as we all know when it comes to research it's publish or perish.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    "Tomb Raider starring Larry Croft"
    You know, I think that one actually came first and it was called “Raider of the Ark” or something like that.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Yes, and why that is true is something for future archaeologists to debate.

Coming back to the subject of Ghostbusters 2016: I have absolutely zero problems with female lead characters. I do have a problem when "we just remade an old movie and the gender swapped lead character is our unique selling point" is the plot. Things like Ghostbusters 2016, Taxi 2004.
    The Ghostbusters plot was different enough to me. There was a Big Bad in Ghostbusters II, and no one complained it "Remade" the original.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2019-Jun-07 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling

I never found the courage to even watch GBII.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I can help with that. Various sources over many decades place an upper bound of about as much matter between the stars as in them. That makes about a solar mass in a radius of about 5 light years, and if evenly distributed would make about 10-12solar mass out to the orbit of Neptune. I would expect that to be negligible, even if increased tenfold by the reputed dark matter.
    OK, thanks. I've been trying to find some observations giving density distribution data in Spiral Arms, as opposed to evenly, but that gives me a baseline (and the all important keywords) to search from.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    You know, I think that one actually came first and it was called “Raider of the Ark” or something like that.
    You're thinking of that Noah movie.

I never found the courage to even watch GBII.
    I've never even seen the first one. For the longest time I thought Sta-Puft was a real brand of marshmallows.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I saw the second one in the theatre the summer it came out; both my sisters were away, and my mom took me to a local cheap theatre, and that was what was playing. I didn't like it. I didn't see the first one until a couple of years ago, and I didn't like that, much, either.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"