Page 399 of 409 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,970 of 12254

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've never even seen the first one. For the longest time I thought Sta-Puft was a real brand of marshmallows.
    Well I can honestly say that I thought exactly the same until I just read your post. I assumed that it was a small or defunct brand - possibly from rural USA that was part of some peoples memories but one that had never had any international recognition. The name seemed such a good one for just that type of product - I am sort of disappointed now.

I had an oddball dietary experience last week. While on a road trip I stopped at McDonald's and got a chicken salad with Italian dressing, a good choice for my needs. The dressing was a low fat version, just the opposite of my oddball needs. I am diabetic but not predisposed to obesity, so I had lost an excessive amount of weight until my doctor and a nutritionist put me on a diet designed to fatten me up a bit. The formula is restricted carbs and plenty of heart-healthy fats and oils such as olive oil. An ounce of regular vinegar and olive oil dressing on a big salad is perfect. I guess the fast food industry gets so much flak about fattening meals that they forget that some of us need plenty of mono- and poly-unsaturates in our diet.

I decided I was wasting way too much time working Sudoku puzzles. So I bought a book of crosswords....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

4. 2019-Jun-15, 01:29 AM

International Skeptics Forum seems to be down this morning. That's probably a good thing; I might not waste as much time there today.

Major carb cravings with diabetes II caused me to eat six hamburger buns (just the bread) on Wednesday. That was stupid. Made myself very ill over the last two days. Just complaining, nothing else.

International Skeptics Forum seems to be down this morning. That's probably a good thing; I might not waste as much time there today.
    I don't know... I question whether it really is down or not.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    I don't know... I question whether it really is down or not.
    One word. Aliens.

My work here is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Major carb cravings with diabetes II caused me to eat six hamburger buns (just the bread) on Wednesday. That was stupid. Made myself very ill over the last two days. Just complaining, nothing else.
    Been there, done that. Once a whole bag of Kings Hawaiian Rolls. Another time I ate a can of whipped cream. I knew I was doing it but I couldn't stop.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Have you ever dealt with someone who thinks they are an expert in everything but does not have a clue about most of it. Like trying to tell someone who has gardening most of their lives how to grow stuff yet having no experience. I think this is called Kruger-Dunning effect. The main problem with dealing with this type of individual they end up wasting everyone else's time.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Have you ever dealt with someone who thinks they are an expert in everything but does not have a clue about most of it. Like trying to tell someone who has gardening most of their lives how to grow stuff yet having no experience. I think this is called Kruger-Dunning effect. The main problem with dealing with this type of individual they end up wasting everyone else's time.
    I would think CQ would be a good learning experience on how to deal with such people.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I would think CQ would be a good learning experience on how to deal with such people.
    To true but there is difference between pointing out a few flaws and calling some people names.

The woman across the road from us just came to tell us that her house had been broken into and all her, and her daughters, jewelry stolen. They got in through a breaking a window at the back of the house. It happened at about 11:30 this morning when we were home, but not out the front of the house. They are currently waiting for the police to arrive. I would assume that their movements were being monitored as the burglary happened just after they went out.

Apparently, her cousin who lives about 4 doors down from her had the same thing happen about three weeks ago. This has been a pretty safe neighborhood up until now - typical suburb with mostly individual houses. They may have been targeted as she is ethnic Chinese and it is "accepted wisdom" or "urban belief" , or whatever the term is, that the Chinese are considered to like gold jewelry.

We have security screens etc over the opening doors/windows, as did they, but of course you then just break the glass alongside.

Apparently, our house was built before the general adoption of always running a neutral wire to the switch box when your wiring goes breaker->fixture->switch. Seems like every room I decide it'd be nice to put a smart-switch in won't work because there's no neutral in the switch box.

Our basement has a ceiling light controlled by two 3-pole switches, wired as breaker->fixture->1st switch->2nd switch. That one's especially annoying because the fixture and the 1st switch are both farther away from the breaker box than the 2nd switch is. In fact, the wiring from the breaker box to the fixture must actually pass almost right by that 2nd switch.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Been there, done that. Once a whole bag of Kings Hawaiian Rolls. Another time I ate a can of whipped cream. I knew I was doing it but I couldn't stop.
    Holy crap! I thought it was just me. I get that feeling, too. Whew! I am not completely nuts.

Strangely, I can't resist lettuce or salads which is at least not as a bad for my blood sugar as a loaf a bread topped with marshmallow fluff and some sort of cherry syrup, which is something I would very much like... in the moment.

Anyway, back to tonight's annoyance. My daughter has a hamster and a new job. She decided blow her whole first paycheck on a giant hamster cage. That isn't a problem. The German Shepherd mix is the problem. She keeps trying to herd the hamster from the third level of the cage back down to the first level of the cage, which involves a lot of barking.

The cage is in my daughter's room, so we started closing the door. No luck. We haven't caught the dog yet, but somehow she is opening the door. I'm tempted to have my daughter lock the door just to see what happens. My wife thinks the dog is turning the knob, while I believe the dog is just big enough to slowly push the door open.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The woman across the road from us just came to tell us that her house had been broken into and all her, and her daughters, jewelry stolen. They got in through a breaking a window at the back of the house. It happened at about 11:30 this morning when we were home, but not out the front of the house. They are currently waiting for the police to arrive. I would assume that their movements were being monitored as the burglary happened just after they went out.

Apparently, her cousin who lives about 4 doors down from her had the same thing happen about three weeks ago. This has been a pretty safe neighborhood up until now - typical suburb with mostly individual houses. They may have been targeted as she is ethnic Chinese and it is "accepted wisdom" or "urban belief" , or whatever the term is, that the Chinese are considered to like gold jewelry.

We have security screens etc over the opening doors/windows, as did they, but of course you then just break the glass alongside.
    I am trivially annoyed that I put this in the wrong forum - this one rather than non-trivial!

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I am trivially annoyed that I put this in the wrong forum - this one rather than non-trivial!
    I was actually going to ask about that.

I was actually going to ask about that.
    I find it is always better to point out my own errors before first, so I can pretend to have some sort of competency

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Yes, on a few occasions, but one particular one I remember most. I was sitting having lunch with a few colleagues at work. A new guy joined us, he seemed a nice enough fella but it was obvious he loved the sound of his own voice. On this particular day the subject matter was something I am an expert in, but I kept quite as this new fella waffled on. About a half hour later of utter gibberish the fella finished, at which point one of the group briefly explained about my knowledge and vast experience on the subject matter. I smiled to myself as the fella got up and embarrassingly walked away.

I had smiled to myself because I learned a valuable lesson that day - listen first speak later, you never know who might be listening!

The truth is the majority of real experts don't go around bragging about it, they don't need to. They have no insecurities about things they are confident in. You often see those with a lot of insecurities are the ones who tend to shout the loudest.

I have 30 children in five different classrooms at school that I think of as my own. Now that summer vacation is in full swing, I miss them horribly. This could be filed under "bugs", "amuses", "happy" or "non-trivial". I picked "bugs" but it could be easily anyone one of them. Damn, I miss them. They are wonderful human beings.
    Solfe

Some of my co-workers have moved on. I tear up now, in ways I never used to.

I apparently pocket-ordered an audiobook on my phone this morning. Must remember to exit the Kindle app.

Still about three months to go and the automated election survey phone calls have started.

I got a goofy letter from a hearing aid company recently. It said something like "We are sorry you missed your June 12 appointment." I had never heard of them, let alone made an appointment. As a matter of fact I have a pair of hearing aids that are working well for my particular hearing loss spectrum, after referral to an audiologist by my primary care doctor. The price was somewhat on the low side of what I had seen in prior browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I got a goofy letter from a hearing aid company recently. It said something like "We are sorry you missed your June 12 appointment." I had never heard of them, let alone made an appointment.
    It's a marketing ploy. I've seen them before regarding our car insurance and maintenance, from places we don't patronize.

Yesterday, Simon got to learn why you have to be careful with hot oil in the kitchen. Fortunately, the splash missed his eye, and the angry red marks on his cheek and my arm should fade in a few days? (To be clear--I'm the one who splashed the oil, not flipping something carefully enough. But he was too close.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Apparently, our house was built before the general adoption of always running a neutral wire to the switch box when your wiring goes breaker->fixture->switch. Seems like every room I decide it'd be nice to put a smart-switch in won't work because there's no neutral in the switch box.
    I'm having trouble visualizing how this works. I think there must be some sort of transAtlantic usage difference. So what wires are actually present in the switch box?

Grant Hutchison

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

We have some switches like that. It is common when retrofitting an outlet to be switched. They run a 2 wire (plus ground) from a powered box to the switch.

They get around the usual color code convention requirements by tagging the normally neutral wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    We have some switches like that. It is common when retrofitting an outlet to be switched. They run a 2 wire (plus ground) from a powered box to the switch.

They get around the usual color code convention requirements by tagging the normally neutral wire.
    So the switch has live coming in from the power supply, and switched live going out to the fixture, but these wires are running side-by-side in a standard two-core/three-core cable? And they tag the wire that's colour-coded as neutral with (?)tape so people know it can be live?

Grant Hutchison

You are correct. The white wire (switched hot) is usually tagged with black tape, or black marker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    You are correct. The white wire (switched hot) is usually tagged with black tape, or black marker.
    OK, thanks. That'd be brown (live) and blue (neutral) in Europe.
    So that problem explains why "smart lightbulbs" are popular. I wondered what that was about.

Grant Hutchison