Page 4 of 414 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    "Of" used in place of "off". I have a hard enough time making sense of words when they're the right words.
    You just made me re-read my post three times, looking for an "of" meant to be "off". I'm trivially bugged now.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

My family's first "remote" was a pair of pliers to replace the broken channel knob.
    My family's first remote was me.

Dad in his chair, Mom on the couch, they'd call me to the living room and I'd have to stand at the set turning the dial until they found something they liked.

(I shouldn't complain: they both worked pretty hard during the day. Besides, there were only about four channels available back then.)

What I liked about those days was that, when the channels didn't have much to air (we had more than most of you, but I grew up in a major television market), they would air old movies or old TV shows. Not infomercials.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    The mention of DVDs earlier prompts me to add this: I am really annoyed that I can't buy a TV, DVR, Blu-Ray, cable box, etc. that operates off of one remote seamlessly.
    Have you looked into mid-range universal remotes? For instance, many people like the Logitech Harmony One, which is designed to integrate the operation of different devices. It's not completely seamless, but it's pretty good. I use a URC-R40, which takes a device oriented approach (versus the Harmony's function oriented approach). In any case, there are a number of remotes that are better than the junk that comes with cable boxes. I'd suggest reading this site:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

I am also annoyed that I can't get a remote that has good feel with its buttons. These smushy buttons that require you to press and hold to make sure the device picks up your command are frustrating. I want a nice press and click that has good sensory feedback.
    Better remotes also tend to give better tactile feedback, but not all do (best to check that before buying one). They also usually generate a stronger IR signal than the cheap models.

By the way, I've been using universal remotes since the '80s. The only time I use the remotes that came with devices is when I'm using them to program the universal remote. Even that isn't usually an issue these days - universals usually have a large code library.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
    When people use span instead of spun.

Or when someone is being made into an escape goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    Is that a mute point?
    Well, all he (she?) says is that they bug him. One is perfectly correct, the other just wrong. But they still bug him.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    Maybe my attitude about that sort of thing is influenced in that until I was in my early 30's, I had to get up, cross the room, turn the channel selector (12 channels and not all of them had content), re-finetune for each channel and probably adjust the antenna. Oh yes, I also had a radio/phono/tape player (with no remotes). Fortunately, I never realized I had it so tough.

I now regularly use the seven remotes controlling my home media center and am very glad I have the incredible choice of entertainment toys now available.
    I had to do all those things, too. I also had to occasionally set the points in my car and adjust the choke to get it started. Thankfully, I don't have to do those things anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    One is perfectly correct...
    Which one?
    I see three that are incorrect, with one being a witty reply.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Which one?
    I see three that are incorrect, with one being a witty reply.
    I see span as a perfectly correct alternative to spun (unless he means the past participle, but that's not likely). It's a bit archaic, but then so am I.

When Adam delved and Eve span
    Who was then the gentleman?

(This is a grammatical reference, not a political one )

But time moves on, and eventually spanners live in vein.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    thyme

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    For some reason I find span totally normal. It used to be prevalent before the 20th century, but my grammar book says spun has taken over, and refers to span as a 'deviant minority'. That might be the word itself or the people who use it. Gee thanks.

It bugs me that even though there are garbage cans and recycling bins everywhere downtown, people still throw their garbage on the sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post
    It bugs me that even though there are garbage cans and recycling bins everywhere downtown, people still throw their garbage on the sidewalks.
    Not only that, but why the heck can't people keep trash in their car long enough to dispose of it properly at a rest area or gas station? Freeways aren't garbage dumps...and don't get me started on the fools who seem incapable of properly securing loads and thereby endangering everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Another thing: people that can't take visual cues that you want or need to break off a conversation. This is more a work-related annoyance, but I hate it when people just can't take the hint that I really need to get on to something else and stop me several times as I'm leaving their cube or office so they can carry on trivial conversation.
    My boss is the worst. I will routinely have my whole body out his office, the door inches from being shut, and he finds another way to extend the conversation. Would you like me to finish my work before 2013 or not?

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    One truly trivial thing that annoys me are the two duplex light switches in my garage that either aren't both up or both down.
    I think it's a conspiracy. I recently put an addition on my house (and by that I mean I paid somebody else to put an addition on my house). The closet has two switches, both the kitchen and living room have 3 switches, and in each case at least one switch is flipped in the wrong direction at any given moment. I could remove the cover and turn a switch upside down so it would be "flipped" in the correct direction, but they are stamped with "off" and "on" and then that would be wrong. I'm not sure which would bother me more. Re-wiring would be an option; an option likely to end with me getting way to amped.

Not only that, but why the heck can't people keep trash in their car long enough to dispose of it properly at a rest area or gas station? Freeways aren't garbage dumps...and don't get me started on the fools who seem incapable of properly securing loads and thereby endangering everyone else.
    And don't get me started on the idiots who throw their cigarette butts out the window. I've seen several nasty fires that started that way.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I've observed beer bottles being tossed from vehicles onto sidewalks with children playing nearby. I've also heard sailor-blushingly vulgar lyrics blasting from vehicles driving by school buses full of young kids.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yeah, now and then a car drives through out quiet neighborhood with some wretched excuse for music playing, shakes all the house windows with the bass, and goes on to temporarily bother the folk on the next block. Surely the people inside the vehicle have already sacrificed much of their own hearing capability, but the arrogance of forcing it upon literally thousands of unwilling people is really apalling.

One really trivial thing; Since I moved to Indiana, certain words are pronounced differently: I'm used to hearing ci-GAR, and they say CEE-gar. Or they'll pronounce IN-shurnse (two syllables) instead of in-SURE-ance. Antanna rather than antenna. And so on. I know it's what they grew up with and regional dialects are just different, not wrong, but for some reason it still grates on my ears.

It's interesting how many of the complaints here are linguistic. I'll refrain from commenting on them, except that I disagree with whoever brought up the thing about education and linguistic screwups. Most of the linguistic things that annoy people don't need to be learned in order to get them right. All that's needed is to pay a bit of attention to your own words and how they work!

Anyway, what really made me want to post in here is the volume of about half of the commercials on TV in the evening. What in the world do the people behind this think is supposed to be so good about making their commercials REALLY EXTREMELY LOUD!!!!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

Anyway, what really made me want to post in here is the volume of about half of the commercials on TV in the evening. What in the world do the people behind this think is supposed to be so good about making their commercials REALLY EXTREMELY LOUD!!!!!!?
    So the commercials will get your attention. It's all good though, at least some 'commercial skip' features on recording devices detect commercials by the higher audio input levels. Not sure about today's in box HD recorders some folks get with their cable boxes however.

Actually; that has been addressed by the government with the CALM act. (which tells you it isn't just a trivial complaint)

My understanding was that before the CALM act the volume of a commercial can't be louder than the the highest volume of the show. Now, I think it boils down to the average volume of the commercial can't be louder than the average of the show.

Not sure about today's in box HD recorders some folks get with their cable boxes however.

The newest "insult" is to have TV shows on demand, yet disable the forward fast feature so you are FORCED to watch commercials...

...kinda like HULU.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    The newest "insult" is to have TV shows on demand, yet disable the forward fast feature so you are FORCED to watch commercials...
    Do you mean I can't even leave the room to get a snack while the commercial is on? Do they hold my eyelids open?

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    ...kinda like HULU.
    Or like the way TV has always been until the new commercial blocking technology of the last few years.

There is a perfectly good sidewalk and the joggers run right down the middle of the road....

"Should of" instead of "should have".

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post
    The folks who manage our office decided they'd save a few bucks by not having the cleaning staff empty the individual wastebaskets by our desks. If I don't want the trash to build up, I have to carry the liner bag downstairs and outside to a dumpster. Same for everyone.

Well, what people did was, of course, dump the really messy stuff, and anything else, in the community trash bins on their floor. Now, these were getting full rapidly.

So the community bins disappeared. (Also, some middle manager (he must be cheaper than the cleaning staff) must be checking the bins in the restrooms, as we get angry e-mails if some extra trash is left there.) If you have some garbage left over from your lunch, you'd best put it back in your briefcase and take it home, which is what I usually do. That, or eat more efficient lunches or dine out.

Some sparsely-populated areas, like the basement area by the elevators began to look like urban slums as some, frustrated by the lack of garbage bins, toss stuff in the corners and on the floor. Once the rats move in, they'll have to spend more than they saved cleaning up. But, what else is new?

"Should of" instead of "should have".
    Yes, this is really annoying, but I don't actually think it's trivial. It displays an ignorance of how the language works. Along with "could of" and "would of".

And then people get irritated if, in conversational writing, you use "could've" as a contraction!

"You can't erase icing."

Are we speaking about writing it that way, or people saying it?

I don't know any other way to pronounce could've as anything else but "could of". (actually "could ov" with the o kind of slurred with a bit of air, but they do sound similar in conversation)

Having to get used to a new forum look that I'm not sure I like yet...no offense to those that have probably worked quite hard to make it happen!