Page 403 of 413 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405 ... LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,090 of 12389

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sooo, it's okay for me?
    This is one of the similarities between male and female brains that has only been recently identified: Both believe that a Y chromosome is protective against electric shock.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    You got that right! I think that Ackerman was well-read on early U.S. science fiction, but he'd been promoting lots of schlocky stuff down through the years.
    Ackerman seems to have been a wildly enthusiastic and genuinely generous guy, but he never seemed to realized that it wasn't OK to be generous with other people's property. I've read extracts from the correspondence between Heinlein and Ackerman (who kept giving away copies of Heinlein's work to foreign magazines, or offering stuff for sale that Heinlein's agent had already sold). It's simultaneously hilarious and depressing.

Grant Hutchison

So, The Wife(TM) called me at work to tell me that we had a power outage. They fixed the problem and everything came back on except the central a/c. Temps are expected to approach 100F today - again - so that isn't really trivial, but what came next ... is?

"Okay," says I, "go into the garage and check the circuit breakers."
    "What?! And maybe get electrocuted?! No, you need to do it."

Sooo, it's okay for me?

Well, after years watching you moderate on CQ, I know you are well grounded.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

He probably likes to keep current, too.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'm not sure Graham knows where our circuit breakers are. I do, though!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Bugs me more than it should: The domain for internationalskeptics.com* has expired. I spend way too much time there anyhow.

*Formerly the JREF forum.

That's not good. Paranormal sites make bank nowadays. ugh.

It was back this morning. There were, however, multiple woo ads on the page saying it had expired. Actually not a lot of them visit any more; most of the rancorous discussions are politics.

I wish that in the Languages option on DVDs there was a setting for "Subtitles" in addition to "Subtitles for the Hearing Impaired." I'll often have to watch films with subtitles to catch what the actors are saying, but I don't need to be told, "Music playing" or "Birds Chirping" or "Car Horns Honking."

I can hear just fine. I just can't always make out what people are mumbling.

"Oh, I was about to walk through a door when my phone beeped. I will now stand in the doorway and fiddle with my phone for thirty seconds."

I've been back from vacation several days and have yet to get the pictures ready so I can bore you guys with them!

Bore away.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Speaking of travelling members anyone heard from Torsten lately?

My anxiety is in full swing tonight. Some it is because of good stuff and some stuff that is either entirely in head or from somewhere else.

First off today the cable installer for the new company should be coming. About 2 months ago they came and said, no, because of tree limbs and stuff. While after a tree trimming service came to clear some branches, mom getting the 'gator stuck and doing some tree trimming herself that stuff should be done. Now I should do some rearranging of stuff myself.

On Thursday I got the usual job of working with the auction company. One day of clearing stuff out of a house, another day of setting up in the legion hall, and one day for the auction.

Then there is something going that I don't when exactly it will strike, don't now who really is involved (I have suspects), or exactly what I have got myself into it generally looks good but either there are doubts in my head or their are people working against it. Don't want to make anymore comments until I am sure what is going on.

Well the cable came and went, we actually need a new cable installed and that can't be done until Friday morning.

I have an iPhone and an iPad. They are marvelous tools except for one thing. For me, typing on them is a pain in the neck. The key icons are hair-triggered so an accidental swipe or touch can throw me off, and there is no tactile feedback like that on the mechanical keyboard on which I learned to type over 50 years ago. I end up doing hunt-and-peck with my eyes on the screen. The need to toggle between screens to get numbers and special characters further slows me down. It blows my mind to see youngsters with their thumbs flying faster than I could ever type the old way. It gives an opposite meaning to the expression "all thumbs". Maybe I need to get training from a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I have an iPhone and an iPad. They are marvelous tools except for one thing. For me, typing on them is a pain in the neck. The key icons are hair-triggered so an accidental swipe or touch can throw me off, and there is no tactile feedback like that on the mechanical keyboard on which I learned to type over 50 years ago. I end up doing hunt-and-peck with my eyes on the screen. The need to toggle between screens to get numbers and special characters further slows me down. It blows my mind to see youngsters with their thumbs flying faster than I could ever type the old way. It gives an opposite meaning to the expression "all thumbs". Maybe I need to get training from a child.
    I feel absolutely the same way. Actually I have a Bluetooth keyboard that I occasionally use with my iPad, but itís really inconvenient to carry around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

I miss the keyboard of my long-ago retired Blackberry.

Just say no to cracks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JustSayNo.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	24492

This happened near the last day of our vacation. Rock from a passing (in the opposite direction) struck right at the top left corner of the windshield, actually above where the strike was visible from the inside. But it propagated rapidly and was like this before we got back. What's kind of interesting is that the two cracks actually crossed each other twice but seemed to maintain their own identities. I'm trying to figure out the mechanism for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Just say no to cracks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JustSayNo.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	24492

This happened near the last day of our vacation. Rock from a passing (in the opposite direction) struck right at the top left corner of the windshield, actually above where the strike was visible from the inside. But it propagated rapidly and was like this before we got back. What's kind of interesting is that the two cracks actually crossed each other twice but seemed to maintain their own identities. I'm trying to figure out the mechanism for that.
    I'm probably wrong about this, but one possibility that comes to mind is that the two cracks are in different layers of the glass (I think that windshields have two layers of glass).
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I miss the keyboard of my long-ago retired Blackberry.
    I was surprised to learn recently that the blackberry is still around and chosen for high security communications!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Have you tried the dictation feature? I use it when I’m tired of wearing my glasses!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Have you tried the dictation feature? I use it when I’m tired of wearing my glasses!
    I use it when I'm tired of making sense!

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm probably wrong about this, but one possibility that comes to mind is that the two cracks are in different layers of the glass (I think that windshields have two layers of glass).
    That's a reasonable guess. Windshields are "laminated glass", which IIRC is from of two layers of glass with a plastic layer in between holding them together.
    The purpose is to allow the glass to crack, but stay in place. No big sharp pieces, and it still functions as a wind shield.

Just about all other auto glass is tempered, but that would shatter into many small pieces in a situation like this.
    Most people would prefer to not have thousands of small pieces of glass blown into their face at highway speed.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Yes, the windshield is laminated, but both cracks were in the outer layer. The inside was fine. Getting it replaced by the insurance was surprisingly painless.

Safety glass is laminated.

But if they're in the same layer, it could just look like the cracks crossed. They may have approached each other really, really close before one made a left and the other made a right.

Or it could be that the plastic - designed to hold the windshield together - held the windshield together.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

But if they're in the same layer, it could just look like the cracks crossed. They may have approached each other really, really close before one made a left and the other made a right.
    That doesn't seem to be the case, based on the photo. At any rate, the mechanism which would cause Crack A to turn in the exact direction that Crack B was traveling while Crack B turns in the exact direction that Crack A was traveling would seem to warrant an explanation itself.

Or it could be that the plastic - designed to hold the windshield together - held the windshield together.
    Well, yes, but that doesn't really answer the question as to how/why they crossed without interfering with each other.

Unless I'm missing something...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

After much internal debate, I decided to purchase "assist steps" (running boards) for my new-ish pickup truck.

They arrived at the dealer today. It would have been a perfect time to install them, as I'm off from work with no plans.
    Unfortunately, it is raining.

We haven't had anything other than a brief shower for several weeks, but today the rain is constant
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    That doesn't seem to be the case, based on the photo. ...
    Uh, I was kidding. Sorry it wasn't more obvious.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Trying to figure out what to do with an old 27 inch crt monitor, if don't mind a big mess the window comes to mind, nobody wants them can't even sell at the auction for $5, which is quarter of what I paid on the new flat screen.(just joking about out the window.)