Page 406 of 410 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407408 ... LastLast
Results 12,151 to 12,180 of 12294

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

That reminds me of hearing a school classmate mispronounce agriculture as "argiculture". Another common one is confusing Calvary and cavalry.

I just remembered another one from high school band. Our director pronounced the Italian term l'istesso as listessimo. He was a brilliant man and highly educated, with a master's degree in music education, but he was still an Appalachian country boy who sometimes butchered oddball words. Our valedictorian-to-be, sitting next to me, was grimacing and whispering, "It's listesso!" The director must have had valid terms like fortissimo and pianissimo on his mind while reading the score.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I just remembered another one from high school band. Our director pronounced the Italian term l'istesso as listessimo.
    Yeah, he sounds a little off-tempo.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I'm now remembering a newsreader on a national radio network reading an item about "a lesbian freighter sinking in the Mediterranean." He meant Lebanese. He started cracking up and they cut to commercial. A couple minutes later and he was still cracking up. They cut to another commercial. That was more than 50 years ago, of course.
    Then there was the guy reporting on an African civil war misprouncing "Nigeria" and "Biafra".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm now remembering a newsreader on a national radio network reading an item about "a lesbian freighter sinking in the Mediterranean." He meant Lebanese. He started cracking up and they cut to commercial. A couple minutes later and he was still cracking up. They cut to another commercial. That was more than 50 years ago, of course.
    Then there was the guy reporting on an African civil war misprouncing "Nigeria" and "Biafra".
    Here is a local place that if you mispronounce the name you could get into trouble.
    https://standrewsbythesea.ca/directo...eef-tea-house/
    Also while working at the call center when seeing names like Fuchs and Phucket for the first time my brain was going how to say that without sounding offensive.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    That reminds me of hearing a school classmate mispronounce agriculture as "argiculture". Another common one is confusing Calvary and cavalry.
    Calvary, Calgary, and cavalry confused me SOOOOO much as a kid, I think I was 15 before I had which one was which completely worked out in my head.

During the SailGP catamaran racing in Cowes last month, one of the commentators referred to "Chance and Frina" being at the bottom of the leaderboard instead of "France and China". He corrected himself pretty quickly, but it must have been an awkward moment.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I had some married friends named Candace and Wendell. I constantly called them "Candle and Wendice".

When I pick a cafe because it has mugs but they put my tea in a disposable plastic cup just because it’s iced.

I woke up this morning to something heavy on me--Irene had decided she was done sleeping alone and literally climbed into our bed to fall asleep on top of me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We got a phone call (robocall to the whole district) the other day informing us that school buses for our school would be ten minutes earlier permanently starting on Monday. I immediately speculated that this was because their website claimed that our bus arrived ten minutes later than it ever actually had, indeed than the card they'd sent to us before the school year started claimed it would. Still, I struggled awake this morning, told Simon that he should've already gotten dressed and gone to the bathroom if he was awake (which he was before I was), and got him out to the bus stop by 7:25, ten minutes earlier than normal. Only for the bus to arrive, yes, at about 7:38. That's a few minutes earlier than its previous on-time of 7:42 but still after the time I would've had him to the stop if I'd ignored the call.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Trying to find a paper you read in the past and made a lot of notes on and now can't think of the exact title, knew one of the authors a long time ago in galaxy far, far away. But don't know if he remembers me or will answer any emails about it.

Waking up at 5:30 AM for no reason.

"You can't erase icing."

Waking up at 6:30 AM to the alarm, and it's still dark.

Waking up and can't back to sleep for a couple of hours.

Waking up at 2:45 AM for no reason.

If I'm still awake by 3:30 AM, then I'll go to the gym before heading to work. If I can fall back to sleep, then my alarm will wake me up at 4:30 as per usual, and I'll go straight to work, no workout.

Naturally, I fall back asleep and wake up at 4:00. Not enough time for a workout, but still short almost an hour's sleep.

Poking around in a 33 year old computer (C64C) to find out why it won't make a picture.

Find nothing wrong. Voltages all good. Clocks are ticking, bus signals seem right, like the reset line not struck low.

So plug it back into its monitor to see if there's any action when things are done.

It just works.

I don't know why. A hollow victory.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Don’t be surprised if the problem comes back. I have had similar situations where I eventually found a wire was frayed or a chip was slightly loose in a socket and mechanical manipulation would temporarily resolve it, but for a real fix I had to carefully flex wires and board while running and watch results to track down the real problem.

But hey, if it keeps working, be thankful for the easy fix.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Don't want to go too off topic but ... my C64C is already a bit of a frankenstein. Somebody has already "done stuff": I think it's been re-capped, and about half of the IC's (major and also glue) are socketed ... not normal for any in this model. Of the two CIA's (each is basically 2 x 8bit ports), one is correct for a C64C, the other is an older model so has been scavenged from a C64. One of the CIA's and the CPU have two strings around them and their socket, tying them down! When I pulled the heat sink (just a big flat plate) off the video IC (VIC II) it came a little out of its socket. Re-seating it may have been what made it come to life. Nice to know at least that nothing major is wrong.

My C64 (37 years old), on the other hand, makes crackling noises from the dual choke line filter on its 9 VAC circuit, and the bridge rectifier doesn't test right, so I'll be de-soldering both. I've looked all over for schematics and can't find a reference to tell me the specs of the line filter. I'll take a punt; apparently not too critical.

Another trivial-bugs-me: watching youtube videos for advice, and USians don't say the "l" in "solder". Sounds so weird to my ears.
    Why is a frog too?

Do you say the first "l" in "colonel"? How about the "r"?

Do you say the first "l" in "colonel"? How about the "r"?
    I sometimes say it as if the first “l” is an “r”, but the “o”s are exactly as they look.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I sometimes say it as if the first “l” is an “r”, but the “o”s are exactly as they look.
    That's interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a native English speaker pronounce the second "o".

Grant Hutchison

News reader on the local TV this morning said that due to the rain, the fall foilage would be less impressive than usual. That's not a typo, it's how he pronounced it. "Foilage".
    I find metathesis really interesting. I always found George Bush’s use of nukuler to be quaint, but there are cases like comfortable or center where we either consider the wrong version to be correct or have changed the spelling to accommodate the change. The change from three to third is so ancient that we don’t really consider that anyone would have ever said thrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

And actually, a word that bothers me slightly is remuneration. I used to think it was renumeration , because of the association with numeral rather than money.

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I find metathesis really interesting. I always found George Bush’s use of nukuler to be quaint ...
    "Labro-turry" for laboratory seems to be fairly common in US English. I've been on the alert for a wild specimen of "nukuler labro-turry" for some years now, but so far no luck.

Grant Hutchison

One that seems global is "perform" / "performer" as "preform" / "preformer".
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "Labro-turry" for laboratory seems to be fairly common in US English. I've been on the alert for a wild specimen of "nukuler labro-turry" for some years now, but so far no luck.
    I think the most common pronunciation in the us is labratory, which to me seems like the correct way. If you mean that the vowels would make it rhyme with Avro furry, I don’t think I’ve ever heard that. Perhaps from a regional accent?

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    In that case, i don’t do it, but it seems that when you say it quickly the r gets softened and it becomes ambiguous whether it is before or after the vowel. I think that when I say it quickly it’s more that I start to drop the r, so it becomes a schwa with no r.

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I think the most common pronunciation in the us is labratory, which to me seems like the correct way. If you mean that the vowels would make it rhyme with Avro furry, I don’t think I’ve ever heard that. Perhaps from a regional accent?
    I suspect it's just a case of someone with one accent attempting to transcribe vowels from a different accent, using Latin characters. What I hear is something close to ˈlæbrəˌtəri.

Grant Hutchison

29. 2019-Oct-07, 03:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Colonel "Bat" Guano worried about preverts taking over the country.

On the rare occasions that I have to say "laboratory" in full, I always pronounce it as Boris Karloff would.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2019-Oct-07 at 03:13 PM.