Page 484 of 502 FirstFirst ... 384434474482483484485486494 ... LastLast
Results 14,491 to 14,520 of 15032

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Trebuchet has succumbed to “”McKean’s law”:

McKean's law: "Any correction of the speech or writing of others will contain at least one grammatical, spelling, or typographical error."
    Indeed! I just checked and the magazine does say "heel". Still annoying.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Achilles' heel, but Achilles tendon. The heel belongs to Achilles, the tendon pertains to Achilles. Not that anyone cares any more.

Grant Hutchison

When I dissected a frog in elementary school, we named him Achilles.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Wow! We didn't dissect a frog until about 8th grade! My assigned lab partner was the daughter of a doctor so she led the way. And I'm not at all sure why that should follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Indeed! I just checked and the magazine does say "heel". Still annoying.
    So I guess what you meant in the original post was that perhaps an autocorrect function had changed "Achilles' tendon" to "Achilles' heel." I think that's (understandably) what confused SeanF, because I don't think that would normally happen. Google would do it, and perhaps Gmail, but I don't think MS Word or something that that would make a change like that. Though maybe there are settings that I just don't use. I think it's more likely it was just a dumb mistake on the writer's part (I do that all the time) that the editor didn't catch. Sometimes I inadvertently write a word that sounds similar to what I'm thinking of, and even though I know the difference I don't catch it. Once in a press release I said a "surreptitious discovery" and a journalist wrote back and politely suggested that I had probably meant "serendipitous."
    As above, so below

The 'Weather' thread in this forum usually takes up to 10 times to load than any other thread. Sometimes I have to stop it and try again later. It is shorter than several other threads but they rarely have this problem. Of course with my IT skills it could be me.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The 'Weather' thread in this forum usually takes up to 10 times to load than any other thread. Sometimes I have to stop it and try again later. It is shorter than several other threads but they rarely have this problem. Of course with my IT skills it could be me.
    I suspect that’s due to atmospheric conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I suspect that’s due to atmospheric conditions.

When is your next stand-up performance?
    :

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    When is your next stand-up performance?
    :
    Thanks. That’s a lot nicer than the reaction I mostly get, “you might want to hang on to that day job.”

As above, so below

Thanks. That’s a lot nicer than the reaction I mostly get, “you might want to hang on to that day job.”
    Folks used to tell me all the time to keep my day job. The trouble is, I wasn't good at my day job either...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Wow! We didn't dissect a frog until about 8th grade! My assigned lab partner was the daughter of a doctor so she led the way. And I'm not at all sure why that should follow.
    It was in the Gifted program. We did all kinds of weird things in that class.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

So I guess what you meant in the original post was that perhaps an autocorrect function had changed "Achilles' tendon" to "Achilles' heel." I think that's (understandably) what confused SeanF, because I don't think that would normally happen. Google would do it, and perhaps Gmail, but I don't think MS Word or something that that would make a change like that. Though maybe there are settings that I just don't use. I think it's more likely it was just a dumb mistake on the writer's part (I do that all the time) that the editor didn't catch. Sometimes I inadvertently write a word that sounds similar to what I'm thinking of, and even though I know the difference I don't catch it. Once in a press release I said a "surreptitious discovery" and a journalist wrote back and politely suggested that I had probably meant "serendipitous."
    Except it was "tendon", without Achilles, in the next paragraph. Dunno, dumb either way.

Every now and then we need to log in to a financial services website, which has a list of routine-to-fatuous security questions. I've just noticed there's a lower limit of five letters on the responses you're allowed to store. And one of the available questions is (of course) "What's your favourite colour?" I always avoid these "favourite" questions, since I haven't had a favourite colour, favourite place, favourite food, favourite animal, or indeed a "best friend", since I was five years old.
    But the five-letter restriction on "colour" seems a bit of a raw deal for those who are besotted with red or blue. (I also see difficulties looming for people whose favourite animal is a cat and whose best friend is called Zoe.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I always avoid these "favourite" questions, since I haven't had a favourite colour, favourite place, favourite food, favourite animal, or indeed a "best friend", since I was five years old.
    I always considered myself to not have a favorite color, due (in part) to being colorblind.

Then one day, as a young adult, I noticed that my bicycle, bowling ball, and car were all blue, and decided that blue is apparently my favorite color.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    It's a real problem with the information inserts in drug packaging. When you need to make up an epinephrine infusion, you generally need to do it now. A box of drug provided by a supplier you've never encountered before, offering guidance on compatible diluents and maximum recommended concentrations in really tiny writing, is not what you want to run into when you've left your reading glasses in your jacket pocket in the changing room. Fortunately operating theatres are not short of very bright lights.
    Unfortunately, even really bright lights don't help if (as once happened to me) you open the box to discover the package insert is written in Polish.

Grant Hutchison
    One of my favourite rants is against hair shampoo and conditioner packaging which you have to read in the shower without glasses. Many suppliers put the actual word shampoo in tiny writing or deliberately obscure it by the use of a strong background colour to the text, While the rest of the packaging and branding is left identical across the range of functions.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Every now and then we need to log in to a financial services website, which has a list of routine-to-fatuous security questions. I've just noticed there's a lower limit of five letters on the responses you're allowed to store. And one of the available questions is (of course) "What's your favourite colour?" I always avoid these "favourite" questions, since I haven't had a favourite colour, favourite place, favourite food, favourite animal, or indeed a "best friend", since I was five years old.
    But the five-letter restriction on "colour" seems a bit of a raw deal for those who are besotted with red or blue. (I also see difficulties looming for people whose favourite animal is a cat and whose best friend is called Zoe.)

Grant Hutchison
    Oh, don't get me started on annoying "security" features that only serve to inconvenience users without adding any real security.

Such as having to change your password every 90 days. Studies have proven this doesn't enhance security, especially since most people just make minimal changes to each password (like sticking 1, 2, 3 on the end).

Forced two factor authentication on every login is another. If I ever lose my phone, I wouldn't be able to connect to my work VPN. Sure, if I'm connecting on a new device, make me verify, but after I've done it daily on the same device for years, there's no need.

And every time I go online to order pizza from a local joint (they use slicelife.com) I have to go through Recaptcha 3 just to log in to my already established account. Not just clicking "I'm not a robot" but having to find pictures of boats, etc. Just to LOG IN. Not to register.

And there's a couple forums I go on that make you log in everytime, they don't persist logins across sessions. For a forum. And these are usually the kind where you have to click a "log in" button, then enter your credentials, click "submit", then it goes to a landing page where you have to click again to return to the forum page you were on.

I could go on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    And every time I go online to order pizza from a local joint (they use slicelife.com) I have to go through Recaptcha 3 just to log in to my already established account. Not just clicking "I'm not a robot" but having to find pictures of boats, etc. Just to LOG IN. Not to register.
    I hate all those robots stealing our pizzas!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Grant Hutchison
    "Azure"

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    One of my favourite rants is against hair shampoo and conditioner packaging which you have to read in the shower without glasses. Many suppliers put the actual word shampoo in tiny writing or deliberately obscure it by the use of a strong background colour to the text, While the rest of the packaging and branding is left identical across the range of functions.
    "Lather, rinse, repeat"

Bluue, rrred, caaat, Zoeee...I've had to use similar solutions from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    One of my favourite rants is against hair shampoo and conditioner packaging which you have to read in the shower without glasses.
    I can relate and most especially so before I had cataract surgeries. The home shower isn't so much of a problem since every thing has its place...to aid soap-in-the-eyes navigation, ya know. Travel is the challenge. Trial and complimentary size products are the worst. I upgraded my kit a couple of years ago and came up with a nerdy solution: the Periodic Table of Toiletries...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0493.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	613.0 KB 
ID:	26109
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

"Azure"
    But nononono. That's 50:50 blue and cyan.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I always considered myself to not have a favorite color, due (in part) to being colorblind.

Then one day, as a young adult, I noticed that my bicycle, bowling ball, and car were all blue, and decided that blue is apparently my favorite color.
    I think all my cars have been different colours. (My first car actually was azure, and I once lost it in a nearly empty car park because it turned green at night under yellow sodium lighting.)

I can't remark on bicycles and bowling balls, but I'm told I dress Dark Autumnal when not wearing black. So basically all colours in dark enough shades that everything goes with everything else and no thought is required when dressing for the day. I resist brightly coloured clothing because (to my admittedly jaundiced eye) it generally makes me look like a giant toddler who has been dressed amusingly by his mother.

Grant Hutchison

Oh, don't get me started on annoying "security" features that only serve to inconvenience users without adding any real security.

Such as having to change your password every 90 days. Studies have proven this doesn't enhance security, especially since most people just make minimal changes to each password (like sticking 1, 2, 3 on the end).
    At work, one of my accounts had to be changed every 30 days. On top of that, if you got it wrong three times you were locked out and had to call in for a reset, but the call staff were only available on a bit less than normal working hours. You were out of luck after hours. Oh, and did I mention this wasn’t an account I logged into all that often, but when I needed it I really NEEDED it to do my job? Usually if something came up, it was at the end of the day.

So, yes, I did the number thing. I also kept a cheat reference in code on my PC. It wasn’t something that would be obvious to someone looking at it but I could work out the current number for it. A couple of times I forgot to update it and sure enough got locked out trying to guess the right number.

So, yes, good help there with security.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Apr-26 at 09:03 PM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Forced two factor authentication on every login is another. If I ever lose my phone, I wouldn't be able to connect to my work VPN. Sure, if I'm connecting on a new device, make me verify, but after I've done it daily on the same device for years, there's no need.
    I hate two-factor so much, over the summer I worked at a ranger station that had very bad cell signal and Wi-Fi but where the desktop computers we were provided usually worked and had a lot of trouble logging into both my old university e-mail and USAJobs.gov because they wanted me to go click the thing on my phone to log in.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

It really bothers me that there are no substitutes for distance learning classes. Zane just . . . doesn't have class today.

ETA: I should clarify that we had a long-term substitute when his teacher was on maternity leave, but there appear to be no short-term substitutes right now.

"You can't erase icing."

It bugs me that a thread which was closed three days ago still shows up on the first page of a "new posts" search. The forum just isn't very active any more.

Some of my film friends are upset that the group is on Facebook, but let's be real--the best option for us was a forum, and while I happily joined the day it started, about the only use it gets is the weekly posting of the Movie of the Week entry.

"You can't erase icing."

A few years ago, we had an incident where someone obtained my debit card number and some money disappeared from my account. To prevent it from ever happening again, I had the bank set the non-PIN transaction limit to $1.

Today, I received an unsolicited letter from my bank, telling me the limits for debt card use. They took it upon themselves to set the non-PIN limit $10,000.

No thanks. I don’t want to wake up someday and find my checking account completely drained.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I'd like to see what's on TV at the moment. Or coming up this evening. But I left the remote on the coffee table and can't reach it from the recliner. And dont want to disturb the kitty.

I'd like to see what's on TV at the moment. Or coming up this evening. But I left the remote on the coffee table and can't reach it from the recliner. And dont want to disturb the kitty.
    Wow, I remember when remotes started to come out, people made fun of them, what, you’re too lazy to take a few steps to change the channel?

Now we need a remote for the remote
    You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and I won't have it!

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Wow, I remember when remotes started to come out, people made fun of them, what, you’re too lazy to take a few steps to change the channel?

Now we need a remote for the remote
    Or a robot arm. "Alexa, hand me the clicker."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Or a robot arm. "Alexa, hand me the clicker."
    "Alexa, change to channel 72" is I'm sure within the abilities of the technology (I don't own one, so I don't know).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules