Page 488 of 493 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490 ... LastLast
Results 14,611 to 14,640 of 14781

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

My niece teaches second grade, when she was doing it virtual she says she made a point of letting the kids have their free chat time. They need the socialization.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I really do not think his teacher fully has a feel for the needs of these kids.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

From another thread, Dr. Hutchison commented:
    I do wish journalists would stop portraying every slight change in emphasis from the CDC as if it were a massive U-turn.
    But then how could they come up with SCREAMING HEADLINES that you MUST CLICK ON??? You'll be SHOCKED at the answer!!!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Tapatalk has decided I need autoplaying audio/video ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Tapatalk has decided I need autoplaying audio/video ads.
    No, their revenue stream decided you needed autoplaying ads. But I think you knew that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Of course. What I don't get is why any advertiser would think it's a good idea! Let's annoy the heck out of potential customers, maybe they'll buy something!

Of course. What I don't get is why any advertiser would think it's a good idea! Let's annoy the heck out of potential customers, maybe they'll buy something!
    Associating your product and/or service with negative emotional reactions to obnoxiousness seems to be a predominant, if completely unsuccessful, business plan in the ad game these days. That, or confusing the hell out of potential buyers.

Maybe someday someone will try using appealing, positive associations to try to sell something, and it'll revolutionize the industry. Other than sex, of course, which is overused to the point of cliché.

Tapatalk is also home of the disappearing ad.
    More than once, and ad has caught my eye -AND IT'S GONE.

Given more time, who knows, I just might have clicked on it, or at least read the whole thing.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I'm pretty sure Tapatalk will be announcing the new, improved, Tapatalk Pro any day now. Because they do that about twice a year.
    Ok, I get it. I'm using their service for free. They need to make a living too. They just aren't going about it in the best way.

A single broken drill bit in a set of about 20, in which all the rest are still good

While on the topic of Tapatalk ads, there is currently one on my screen for a “battery mount” that “Fits the WRX and STI”.

I have no idea what it is about. Maybe these are for sports cars? If so the odd-format battery apparently lies on its side.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    While on the topic of Tapatalk ads, there is currently one on my screen for a “battery mount” that “Fits the WRX and STI”.

I have no idea what it is about. Maybe these are for sports cars? If so the odd-format battery apparently lies on its side.
    They would be parts for a Subaru WRX STI and are apparently designed to reduce weight for 'rally' cars.

https://www.subaru.com.au/wrx-and-wrx-sti/specs

It doesn’t bug, but does amuse me that this thread has lasted so much longer than the “prototype” version I started in 2008.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Wow, I had no idea. Perhaps we should request a merge.
    Meanwhile, I'm annoyed that when I picked up the kitty medicine this morning, the pharmacist found it necessary to spend about 10 minutes explaining to me how a syringe worked, including trying and rejecting a smaller one, taking the larger one out of it's plastic wrapper, trying to put it in the box with the med and discovering it wouldn't fit, and then inexplicably deciding the paper bag for the order wasn't good enough and putting it in another. Which has a hole in it, so the syringe is missing. So we'll have an extra day of ugly cat snot.

... the paper bag for the order wasn't good enough and putting it in another. Which has a hole in it, so the syringe is missing. So we'll have an extra day of ugly cat snot.
    I picked up prescriptions for my wife yesterday. Everything fell through the bottom of the bag as I got it out of the car, fortunately without damage. They clearly have some defective bags!

Also in the cat medicine saga: It's a sticky pink liquid. Commonly used for children as well, I think.
    Day one: Took her by surprise, got it in and down.
    Day two: Less surprised, she spit a little out.
    Day three, today: Most of it wound up on us.

Also in the cat medicine saga: It's a sticky pink liquid. Commonly used for children as well, I think.
    Oh, is that the antibiotic liquid? I had that a number of times when I was young. I had some significant bacterial infections (one was very serious). I can still sort of remember the taste - sweet, not horrible but not very good either. Of course, cats have a very different sense of taste. For a cat you need to hold the jaws open with one hand while delivering with the other, then close the mouth so they can’t spit it out. Of course, some cats fight more than others, and it can help to have a treat ready for after if they cooperate.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The sound of some else mowing their lawn at 8 am in the mourning, I think this is the definition of guilt even you had a sprain ankle for a few days.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

A friend of my sister's tried to shame me recently for the fact that we simply don't mow our lawn. But it's better for the environment and the local wildlife if we don't, and we don't have an HOA, so I refuse to be shamed.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A friend of my sister's tried to shame me recently for the fact that we simply don't mow our lawn. But it's better for the environment and the local wildlife if we don't, and we don't have an HOA, so I refuse to be shamed.
    Right. Nature is more beautiful than a green monotone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    The sound of some else mowing their lawn at 8 am in the mourning, I think this is the definition of guilt even you had a sprain ankle for a few days.
    Sometimes, you just have to mow the lawn.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ower-1.4145466
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

This kind of force-feeding adventures remind me of our dog: I tried all sorts of trickery, magic and bamboozling to try to sneak some anti-worm medicine into him through his food but it contrasted with his food so he ate around it. Until I discovered that he's OK with the isolated taste of it and simply eats it off my fingers in 3 seconds.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I am terrified of bugs, but this whole scare people with the news cycle is killing me. Someone decided the "Great Eastern Brood" or "Brood 10" needs to be called "Brood X", where the X is pronounced as an actual "X". Yes, "X" makes everything scarey.

These are cicadas. They drink plant sap and spend most their lives underground. Even when the Great Eastern Brood comes out in the billions*, you have to look for them to see them. Yes, they're kind of big, make a lot of noise and have crazy red eyes. But they drink plant sap and hide for most of their lives. No need to be afraid of that, unless you are Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

I find the cicadas songs to be relaxing and can't wait for it. Yes, I am terrified of bugs but this one doesn't bother me. It's actually kind of fascinating that they live so long, so deep underground. I wouldn't pet one, but still, they're ok.

*I don't know if billions is right, it seems like a low ball figure to me. They're a lot of them.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    . No need to be afraid of that, unless you are Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.
    I am... no, I can't say it.

I am terrified of bugs, but this whole scare people with the news cycle is killing me. Someone decided the "Great Eastern Brood" or "Brood 10" needs to be called "Brood X", where the X is pronounced as an actual "X". Yes, "X" makes everything scarey.

These are cicadas. They drink plant sap and spend most their lives underground. Even when the Great Eastern Brood comes out in the billions*, you have to look for them to see them. Yes, they're kind of big, make a lot of noise and have crazy red eyes. But they drink plant sap and hide for most of their lives. No need to be afraid of that, unless you are Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

I find the cicadas songs to be relaxing and can't wait for it. Yes, I am terrified of bugs but this one doesn't bother me. It's actually kind of fascinating that they live so long, so deep underground. I wouldn't pet one, but still, they're ok.

*I don't know if billions is right, it seems like a low ball figure to me. They're a lot of them.
    Billions is probably a low ball.

When Brood V emerged around here in 2016, it was easy to find them, at least for the first day or two. I remember the evening they emerged and they were literally crawling out of the ground and up our trees by the dozens, just in our front yard. But after a day or two they were all up in the trees and you hardly saw them (but you certainly heard them).

And yes, very cool, but no big deal.

I am amused that Brood X gets national attention, but only the local press seemed to care about all the other broods (and yes, all numbered with Roman numerals).

By the way, almost all the eastern and central US gets "annual cicadas", also known as "dog day cicadas" (as in the "dog days of summer"). They also spend years of their lives as nymphs underground, but because some come out every year, you hear them every summer.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I don't watch/read the news since it's all negativity/fear mongering, but I'm in my 5th year in northern South Carolina, and my sis in law who's lived in this area for years remembers the last 17 year cicada cycle, and they were everywhere. But she was in VA/NC at the time, I don't know what they'll be like here in SC, yet. Some sites say SC misses out on these for some reason, but will see another cycle (13 years) in 2025.

They make great trout bait. Either real or tied as a fly. And huge for a fly.

Even when the Great Eastern Brood comes out in the billions*, you have to look for them to see them.
    I'll disagree. I have two big maple trees with hundreds (thousands?) crawling up them. Meanwhile the the ground around the trunk is completely covered with shed exoskeletons.
    I can't go in my yard without actively trying not to step on one.
    I've also had to remove a few from my clothing upon entering the house.

They don't bother me, except for the one that landed on the back of my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    They make great trout bait. Either real or tied as a fly. And huge for a fly.
    I've observed that dogs like to eat them too.

All is this is fascinating as I never realised that there was such a big cyclical rise in cicada numbers in North America and over such a long period. I am just used to hearing them every summer. Looking up I see that Australian cicadas have a cycle of around 6 or 7 years so 'peaks' occur much more often here and thus are less noticeable.

The other big factor as to why the 'always' seem to be around here is that Australia has over 200 species of cicada compared to only seven in the U.S.