Page 493 of 507 FirstFirst ... 393443483491492493494495503 ... LastLast
Results 14,761 to 14,790 of 15191

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Yesterday we had a lovely warm afternoon. I sat out on the deck listening to soft music through headphones. The same music, in fact, that we play at night to help us sleep. So I fell asleep.
    This morning I woke up at 5:00, with help from the kitty, and couldn't get back to sleep.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Shouldn't this be in the "I'm so old" thread?
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Well, Iím a bit younger, I retired a number of years early, I have issues now sometimes getting my sleep cycle misaligned with the day night cycle, which can happen more easily because I donít have to operate on a schedule. I can usually get it aligned again by missing sleep so sometimes I donít sleep for a bit over a day, then am tired enough to sleep at night like I want. Itís annoying though.

Anyway, I donít usually go to sleep outside, especially in the day, but I have a nine foot wide sliding glass door that gives a panoramic view of the yard and some impressive trees in other yards behind mine. Itís a nice view and easy to fall asleep watching outside on a lazy afternoon when my sleep schedule is off.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

On a sidenote: getting your sleep cycle back in order by skipping/postponing sleep is what professionals also suggest. Many people try to sort it out by going to sleep earlier, but then you'll just be awake in your bed.

Of course this shouldn't be done on a weekly basis, better to try and keep the cycle more or less where it's supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Of course this shouldn't be done on a weekly basis, better to try and keep the cycle more or less where it's supposed to be.
    I try, I even manage for a time. Problem is, I’ve always been a night owl so my bedtime tends to get a bit later and later.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Shouldn't this be in the "I'm so old" thread?
    Pretty much applies to everything I post!
    But I haven't gone out and napped today. It's cooler than yesterday. Although...looks at cheapo weather station...
    It's now 74F out there. I think I'll finish this last glass of red and go out.

The rubber pressure seal on the lid of our Aluminium Pressure Cooker given to us as a wedding present in 1975 has failed - don't they make things that last anymore? We don't use it very much these days- but 46 years does seem to be a reasonable lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The rubber pressure seal on the lid of our Aluminium Pressure Cooker given to us as a wedding present in 1975 has failed - don't they make things that last anymore? We don't use it very much these days- but 46 years does seem to be a reasonable lifetime.
    I'd write the manufacturer and complain.

We have a microwave like that; IIRC I bought it around 1988, when I was still single. But it still works just fine.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Microwaves do have a tendency of eternal life. Ours is also an early 90's model which has never needed any repair. There are still some from the seventies around, working just fine.

Microwaves do have a tendency of eternal life. Ours is also an early 90's model which has never needed any repair. There are still some from the seventies around, working just fine.
    The magnetron eventually goes though. I suspect the Ď70s ones still working arenít used that much. We had an Amana radarange, and functionally it was pretty much the same as a modern model. It looked like this one:

https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/wo...icrowave-oven/

I think we replaced it the second time the magnetron needed to be replaced. It was getting harder to find repair places and it was cheaper just to buy a new one with equivalent capability.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I don't know what the supposed life expectancy of those is. Ours is used quite regularly (I estimate 5 times per week) and apparently still as strong as ever. Nineties is of course not seventies.

Edit: looked it up. 2000 hours is a typical figure. At 2 minutes per day, that's 10 minutes per week or 9 hours per year. So within the next 200 years it should fail. OK, apparently we don't use it a lot. Or we do, but mostly for stuff taking less than 3 minutes.

We got one for US$99 when we got our place as a second home in 1997 and it was still working when I took it to the Goodwill in 1999 after we moved into our new house which has a built in one. Except for the numeric display, which would decide seemingly at random which segments to turn on and off.

Speaking of our house, for our first summer we got some tall blue planters and planted trailing tuberous begonias in them. They looked gorgeous, so we planted more last year. And then some of the old ones came up as well.
    So this spring I hopefully started watering hoping the old ones would come up and I wouldn't have to buy any. They didn't. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. And we've been having trouble finding the plants to put in.
    Today I finally found and bought the plants and went outside to put them in. Oh, NOW you old guys decide to grow! I stuck the new ones in with them anyhow. One planter has a total of seven!

I radically shortened the life of our last microwave by defrosting some meat for a bit too long and forgetting about the large paper label that was attached to it. The subsequent flames were all contained within the cavity but the smoke blackened the inside and outside to the extent that it was unable to be used again.

Carry-over from the "da Vinci" discussion in the Trivial or non-trivial technology thread...

It bugs me to see "Mount Fujiyama" written. I think "Mont Blanc Mountain", might make my head explode.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

<Dons protective apron and visor.>
    Mount Mont Blanc has its own Facebook page.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Carry-over from the "da Vinci" discussion in the Trivial or non-trivial technology thread...

It bugs me to see "Mount Fujiyama" written. I think "Mont Blanc Mountain", might make my head explode.
    Mt. Kilimanjaro has the same issue. I think Kilima means mountain in Swahili.

Just an aside, but in addition to the problem of repetition, actually Fujiyama is not actually how the mountainís name is pronounced. Itís actually called Fujisan. In principle (meaning there are exceptions), the character 山 is pronounced san when itís a real mountain but yama when itís the name of a town or person for example, like Yamamoto or Yamanashi Prefecture.

The same is true for the word for island, 島. In a personís name like Shimada itís pronounced shima for for a real island itís usually tou, which is why the famous island is not Iwojima but actually Ioutou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jens; 2021-Jun-08 at 10:53 PM.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    My. Kilimanjaro has the same issue. I think Kilima means mountain in Swahili.
    So the early European explorers claimed, but it turns out not to be the case. The Swahili word for "mountain" is mlima; kilima is a diminutive, meaning "hill". It seems likely the Swahili derivation is a bit of folk etymology generated by Europeans who didn't speak the language very well. My link offers a fine selection of alternatives.
    Back in the '90s I compiled a little booklet (now extremely out of date) listing the highest (and lowest) point of every country in the world. I tried to find out the meanings of as many names as I could, and kept up with that process for a decade or so when it seemed likely there would be a second edition. I discovered two things: a) There's a lot of debate and speculation about some names; and b) A lot of mountains have some local version of "mountain" or "hill" embedded in their names, to which we English speakers then blithely add "Mount".
    Just an aside, but in addition to the problem of repetition, actually Fujiyama is not actually how the mountain’s name is pronounced. It’s actually called Fujisan. In principle (meaning there are exceptions), the character 山 is pronounced san when it’s a real mountain but yama when it’s the name of a town or person for example, like Yamamoto or Yamanashi Prefecture.

The same is true for the word for island, 島. In a person’s name like Shimada it’s pronounced shima for for a real island it’s usually tou, which is why the famous island is not Iwojima but actually Ioutou.
    That's interesting, thanks. I was aware the mountain was called Fujisan, but didn't know the background.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Back in the '90s I compiled a little booklet (now extremely out of date) listing the highest (and lowest) point of every country in the world. I tried to find out the meanings of as many names as I could, and kept up with that process for a decade or so when it seemed likely there would be a second edition. I discovered two things: a) There's a lot of debate and speculation about some names; and b) A lot of mountains have some local version of "mountain" or "hill" embedded in their names, to which we English speakers then blithely add "Mount".
    Thanks for letting me know about Kilimanjaro. Actually, it's interesting that you made that list. I also made a list like that, but of well-known place names, for an artificial language I was working on (http://patwa.pbworks.com/w/page/14800479/FrontPage). So I probably have also adopted some dodgy ones like that, so appreciate that.

That's interesting, thanks. I was aware the mountain was called Fujisan, but didn't know the background.
    I think non-Japanese speakers might assume that the Fuji-san is like saying "san" after a person's name, but actually they are completely different. The -san in people's names is a contraction of "sama", which is a Japanese word that means something like "shape" or "form" (contracted in speaking like we say Ma'am). But the san in Fujisan is just one of the words for mountain. Yama is the Japanese word, and San is originally the Chinese word (but in Mandarin it's pronounced Shan, so like in Shandong Province). It's kind of interesting that like English, Japanese has a set of Japanese words that are often used for everyday things, but imported Chinese words that tend to be used for philosophical or scientific concepts, like moon vs. lunar for us. So in Japanese many characters have two readings, one the Japanese one (called kun-yomi) and the other the Chinese, called on-yomi).
    As above, so below

I think non-Japanese speakers might assume that the Fuji-san is like saying "san" after a person's name, but actually they are completely different. The -san in people's names is a contraction of "sama", which is a Japanese word that means something like "shape" or "form" (contracted in speaking like we say Ma'am). But the san in Fujisan is just one of the words for mountain. Yama is the Japanese word, and San is originally the Chinese word (but in Mandarin it's pronounced Shan, so like in Shandong Province). It's kind of interesting that like English, Japanese has a set of Japanese words that are often used for everyday things, but imported Chinese words that tend to be used for philosophical or scientific concepts, like moon vs. lunar for us. So in Japanese many characters have two readings, one the Japanese one (called kun-yomi) and the other the Chinese, called on-yomi).
    Again, interesting. Thanks.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

This morning's Far Side cartoon collection has one of "Chicken Serial Killers", the last of which is labeled "unknown" but clearly represents Col. Sanders. Which for some reason reminded me that many years ago in Tacoma, WA, there was a sit-down restaurant that served KFC. I mean a real restaurant, with waitresses and menus. The owner cultivated the look of Col. Sanders; white suit, goatee, etc. I think they even had a picture of the two of them together.
    So I tried to look the place up on line but got only lists of current KFC locations in Tacoma. Surely there must be an article about the place somewhere, but my Google-fu is weak.

<Dons protective apron and visor.>
    Mount Mont Blanc has its own Facebook page.

Grant Hutchison
    Ok, that got a belly laugh.

Under file annoying. I am craving Red Vines, a candy. The local supermarket carries them, but is closed after midnight due to Covid. I'm diabetic, so I don't know what part of this is most annoying.
    Solfe

My internet provider went down for most of the day. I learned that the fiber optic cables had been cut, stopping their entire network (and others). Just came back up.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

L.A. Angels
    Ferrari LaFerrari

People even pay others to come up with a double name. Which makes sense, as they were likely twice as expensive as the alternatives too.

ATM machine.
    CGI image
    DM Master
    "there's no there there"
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The ATM Machine being the one where you enter your PIN Number.

In other news, Cracked.com has gone seriously downhill but I still click on it anyhow. I just saw an article in which they referred to Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters as "she". I hope ironically, but it didn't seem like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The ATM Machine being the one where you enter your PIN Number.

In other news, Cracked.com has gone seriously downhill but I still click on it anyhow. I just saw an article in which they referred to Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters as "she". I hope ironically, but it didn't seem like it.
    She’s got quite a moustache!
    You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and I won't have it!

L.A. Angels
    Ferrari LaFerrari

People even pay others to come up with a double name. Which makes sense, as they were likely twice as expensive as the alternatives too.
    Park Lake Park, in Orlando FL. I used to drive by there frequently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParkLakePark.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	858.9 KB 
ID:	26235

Park Lake is an Orlando subdivision, and I guess that this is its official park. Note that the park has a lake in it.

SoÖ Itís a photo of Park Lake Park lake.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

That reminds me of this one time... We were in the Brussels subway (aka metro, underground, not the food franchise) and the names of all stops are in both languages. Often that's quite a difference, but sometimes it's a bit superfluous. So we were staring and laughing at the sign that read "Park/Parc" until the metro drove off again...and we realized we should have gotten off there.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    So… It’s a photo of Park Lake Park lake.
    Indeed! And there's probably parking adjacent to the lake.
    "Hi! I'm calling you from the Park Lake Park Lake Parking Lot."