Page 50 of 413 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 12386

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

My first typewriter (when I was maybe nine years old) din't have a "1", and I got in the habbit of using lowercase "L" in place if the number.

When I got a newer model with a built-in "1", it took me awhile to get into the habit of using it.

(My second typewriter (late 1960s vintage) actually had a couple of "convertable" keys. You could sacrifice the key with the "!" and "1" and clip on a specialized one with pi and a degree symbol. Numerous such clip-on keys were sold separately.)

Now I think about it, I'm not sure my sister's typewriter had an exclamation point. In the long run, it was probably better for my writing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by primummobile View Post
    Now we shall have to invent some because "epic" is losing its meaning as it becomes a synonym for "great".
    Just put an "x" in front of it as in "xTreme".
    Although xEpic doesn't exactly roll of the tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I do, but it is harder than it seems to estimate when you've poured half a packet.
    Especially since the volume in the packet is much less than the volume in a packet of sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It was for the Timex Sinclair.
    That computer cost me over $126.00. It was so expensive, I paid 13 installments of $9.72. I mowed lawns all summer long to do it.
    Mine was from before Timex bought them and I paid only $100 (but as a kit I put together myself). Unfortunately, it cost me $50 to ship back for repair because I missed a step in the directions that must have been written in invisible ink.

Did you get the graphics module too? It gave you a whopping 4 pixels in the space of a character. (or 50xSomething resolution).

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Now I think about it, I'm not sure my sister's typewriter had an exclamation point. In the long run, it was probably better for my writing.
    My mum's didn't. If you wanted one, you did a full stop* then went back and did a single quote.

*Period in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    My mum's didn't. If you wanted one, you did a full stop* then went back and did a single quote.

*Period in the US.
    "Full stop" sounds more natural to me now than "period." OMG been too long on this side of the Atlantic and am catching language cooties! /jk

Like Jeff Foxworthy, I just hate stupid people! Other day I was laying out some coffee spoons on a washcloth so they'd dry faster (high turnover spoons), and a regular, maundering in his cups*, asked me why I was counting them.

*Loved that expression ever since I heard it used in an English translation of Oedipus Rex.

Language is " catching" !!!! I find the BBC is a good influence.

*Period in the US.
    I think there was a way to hold down a certain key, maybe SHIFT, while typing so that the platen did not advance and you could strike the same area twice, but I didn't learn that until much later. But, yeah, apostrophe+period gave you a "!".

Plus signs ("+") were also lacking on most typewriters. I've seen many cases (in a published typed piece) where these were added by hand later on. The only reason they gave you a minus sign and a division symbol were because those had other uses, I'll bet.

*Period in the US.
    Is a comma called a partial stop? ;^)

It sounds like some of these typewriters run on steam.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    Is a comma called a partial stop? ;^)
    Nah, an empty stop.

Hey, anyway, if a . a period and a , is a shorter than a . isn't a , still a period? It's like arguing that a smaller hole is half a hole!

Hey, anyway, if a . a period and a , is a shorter than a . isn't a , still a period? It's like arguing that a smaller hole is half a hole!
    Could be, but a comma (Gr komma) means (or meant) a piece cut off, indicating it is less than something else, ending a clause and not a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    It sounds like some of these typewriters run on steam.
    Only if you were typing while sitting in a sauna.

Back to what bugs me:

The "History" Channel. I am soooo tired of ancient astro-nuts and vedic "science." Had to drop what I was doing in the bar and rush to change the channel today. Got a little depressed when more than one client asked me to put it back on.

I went on break and smoked a nice cigar, pretending the world was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Back to what bugs me:

The "History" Channel. I am soooo tired of ancient astro-nuts and vedic "science." Had to drop what I was doing in the bar and rush to change the channel today. Got a little depressed when more than one client asked me to put it back on.

I went on break and smoked a nice cigar, pretending the world was OK.
    Just yesterday I was blobbed on the couch after a busy day and my Daughter was watching a DVR of "Glee". A large part of the plot of that episode was the 2012 "end of the World" stuff, so I took some notice. The character in it, was convinced by the truth of whole "Mayan prophesy" thing, because she saw it in a "documentary" on the History channel etc. Just a thing in a fiction show, but I did think that there was some truth to the issue of credence being lent to this wacky stuff by the channel the docos are shown on.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Just yesterday I was blobbed on the couch after a busy day and my Daughter was watching a DVR of "Glee". A large part of the plot of that episode was the 2012 "end of the World" stuff, so I took some notice. The character in it, was convinced by the truth of whole "Mayan prophesy" thing, because she saw it in a "documentary" on the History channel etc. Just a thing in a fiction show, but I did think that there was some truth to the issue of credence being lent to this wacky stuff by the channel the docos are shown on.

South Park had an absolutely hilarious take on Ancient Aliens.

My wife quotes a line from that episode anytime I say anything even slightly crazy: "No one said there weren't any aliens at the first Thanksgiving, so we are assuming they were there."

I like to call it "The Inconsistent Channel."

"How the Earth was Made", "Mankind, the Story of Us All", and "Underwater Universe" are all pretty good. There might be a couple of others, but everything else stinks.
    Solfe

All the conspiracy stuff on HS has ruined its credibility for the few good, accurate shows it has. It's really hard to take anything the channel says seriously now.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Not trivial, but we drove someone to the airport today, only to find out that her flight was canceled because of snow in Chicago. A couple of years ago, her flight at Thanksgiving was canceled because of snow in Minnesota.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The fact that the electronic edition of books often costs the same or more than their paper counterparts.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Not trivial, but we drove someone to the airport today, only to find out that her flight was canceled because of snow in Chicago. A couple of years ago, her flight at Thanksgiving was canceled because of snow in Minnesota.
    Although unsaid, I assume that "someone" was not flying to either of those cities?
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Through, in fact. However, in neither case was it more than perhaps a couple of inches--certainly not anything out of the ordinary for either location.

"You can't erase icing."

I put my fishing rod in the garage without removing the hook. I speared my thumb today.
    Solfe

Hook your hook into the cork on the grip. Hooks are nasty bacteria laden piercing things which dislike coming out .
    I feel your pain. Good luck.
    Dan

I get annoyed when bicyclists take up four feet of the driving lane just because they can. I get annoyed when pedestrians take longer than they need to cross the street just because they can.

I'd be among the last people to deny another their rights. But a law can't always protect you from stupidity or carelessness. Having the right to take up four feet of a lane doesn't matter if you are dead. I spend quite a bit of time on both a motorcycle and a bicycle and I would never take the chances I see some of these people take.

Quote Originally Posted by primummobile View Post
    I get annoyed when bicyclists take up four feet of the driving lane just because they can. ...
    I don't know what the laws are near Pittsburgh, but in Texas bicylces are considered the same as motor vehicles* and are entitled to the entire lane. If a car driver wants to pass, s/he must treat the bicycle like another car and move into another lane, not just squeeze by.

(*Not that many cyclists or drivers know this.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Here only the brave or suicidal cyclists use the street, most ride on the sidewalk which can be annoying and sometimes dangerous. People also bike in the worst weather here, so it can be hard to get by cyclists on snow covered sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I don't know what the laws are near Pittsburgh, but in Texas bicylces are considered the same as motor vehicles* and are entitled to the entire lane. If a car driver wants to pass, s/he must treat the bicycle like another car and move into another lane, not just squeeze by.

(*Not that many cyclists or drivers know this.)
    It's basically the same thing here. My only point is that the law doesn't protect you from dying if someone hits you.

It's not too much different, in principle, from another argument I am frequently involved in. In Pennsylvania, any one who has had a motorcycle license for two years and is over the age of 21 (or who has passed a state-approved motorcycle safety course) does not have to wear a helmet. Any discussion about the safety of that always boils down to 1) Most motorcycle accidents happen between a motorcycle and a car (true) and 2) Most times, the driver of the car is at fault (also true). But what I, and a handful of others always present in these discussions, cannot get those people to understand is that it does not matter who is at fault. When you're in the trauma ward the surgeon isn't going to just decide you don't deserve to die because you weren't at fault.

I see these situations mostly the same way. Yes, you have the right to that lane. But are you really sure that just because you have that right that it is a good idea to exercise that right? I can see times when it is necessary. But other times it is not. It's those times that annoy me. I don't like seeing people get scraped off the road.

ETA: I should also mention that Pennsylvania, particularly Western and Central Pennsylvania is very hilly. The roads have many blind curves and many blind hills.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Here only the brave or suicidal cyclists use the street, most ride on the sidewalk which can be annoying and sometimes dangerous. People also bike in the worst weather here, so it can be hard to get by cyclists on snow covered sidewalks.
    That bugs me, too. Believe it or not, last year after a particularly heavy snow my wife and I watched a guy ride a unicycle down the side of the road in front of a very busy shopping center.

Most cyclists don't bother me, but one guy in my area drives me nuts. On a five lane road (2 lanes each way and a center turn lane), he will overtake turning cars and pass them inside their intended turn radius.

IE When a car is stopped in the center turn lane and turning left, the bicyclist changes lanes to get behind them and passes them on the left side. Obviously, this also puts him in the oncoming traffic lane. He's been bad driver for 2.5 years, but this is a relatively new habit. He is going run out of luck someday.

My wife is a nurse and has a morbid sense of humor. She calls him "the future organ donor."
    Solfe

Bicyclists who persist in that practice are often found in a pressing position......ie banged up and mishapen and in a body cast. Don't let this happen to you. Real courtesy can make a real difference.