Page 500 of 510 FirstFirst ... 400450490498499500501502 ... LastLast
Results 14,971 to 15,000 of 15280

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    But I've left it on the lawn with a trail cam pointing at it. We'll see if anything tries to move it.
    The "plastic Big Mac on the lawn" story has reached an unsatisfactory and mysterious conclusion.
    It sat there undisturbed for several days, and then vanished overnight last night.
    The trail cam's batteries had failed after two days, so no record of who or what took it.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

The "plastic Big Mac on the lawn" story has reached an unsatisfactory and mysterious conclusion.
    It sat there undisturbed for several days, and then vanished overnight last night.
    The trail cam's batteries had failed after two days, so no record of who or what took it.
    I'm not saying it's aliens, but...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68c37ae9a0ba6b008783a60e90d66af6.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	26288
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68c37ae9a0ba6b008783a60e90d66af6.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	26288

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Oops. Replied to wrong post.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Grant Hutchison
    Holmes has stored the episode as unresolved. There was a story from the aliens point of view, about an alien landing that turned out to be a tiny spaceship. Maybe like Hitchhikers’ Ford Prefect, the aliens though a hamburger would be an unremarkable shape. .
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Grant Hutchison
    I'm still saying birds.

Meanwhile, this has been one of those days.
    I woke up in the middle of the night thinking "Hey I could use parts of my old glasses to fix the broken ones!" and "Did I leave my wife's precious car outside all night unlocked?"
    The answers were "sort of", and yes.
    So after putting her car in and getting my Frankenglasses, I went to the stores because we were out of her Glucerna. Which I forgot so I had to go out again. I also wound up paying full price for her espresso beans, but at least I found distilled water for the espresso machine at the third store I went to.
    But hey, at least I knew what we were having for dinner. Pasta Bolognese from Safeway, which reached its "best by" date a couple of days ago. Except that's not what was in the fridge. Chicken-rice-cheddar casserole from Safeway, which reached it's "best by" date about six weeks ago.
    I could have just heated it and she'd most likely never have known the difference. But while I'm willing to fudge a few days, that was too much so I told her and tossed it out. We wound up with Marie Callender's frozen fettucine. Ugh. Watery. And I forgot to add hot sauce to it, which would have made it better.
    Meanwhile it's been cold, gray, and drizzly all day. I've accomplished nothing of worth and am tired. Nuts.
    But at least I ate some delicious cheese as a snack!

Edit: For the second time today, I've wound up with an irrelevant quote from someone, so I just deleted it. Don't know why. And I just got a mod warning on my other forum because I said something about an obvious troll posting in the wrong forum. Nuts. I'm going to go read Good Omens.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-Jul-08 at 12:18 AM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I got an idea for a story that I’m excited to write, but I’m realizing it will need a lot of detailed research into subjects I don’t know well enough, and while I will enjoy that, it’s kind of frustrating because I’m just so eager to start writing right away.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Tapatalk has decided I should have audio ads. Super annoying.

What is the key advantage to Tapatalk anyway? I tried it for a short time on my iPad and deleted it. It didn’t do anything I wanted but was annoying.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    What is the key advantage to Tapatalk anyway? I tried it for a short time on my iPad and deleted it. It didn’t do anything I wanted but was annoying.
    I find the main web page format very difficult to read and use on my phone’s small screen.

One nice feature is that it jumps to the first unread post when I open a thread.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I find the main web page format very difficult to read and use on my phone’s small screen.

One nice feature is that it jumps to the first unread post when I open a thread.
    Exactly. The i-Pad screen is probably big enough that you don't need it.

Whenever I misplace my glasses.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Whenever I misplace my glasses.
    Whenever I misplace my glasses and they are on my head and no one tells me.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Whenever I misplace my glasses and they are on my head and no one tells me.
    Never got into that habit.

I fixed my brakes a few weeks ago and my car passed inspection. On Friday, the passenger side sun visor fell off. I've owned my fair share of hunks of junk, but I've never had a sun visor fall off the ceiling. The part is $160.00. Why?

Since it's not a critical part, it's sitting on my work bench while I dream up a DIY solution. The visor is supported by an aluminum tube inside a plastic tube. Both snapped in half. Please... please... please... I have no idea of the mechanism of breakage. It could be metal fatigue or something with my karma. I really don't know the difference, so please don't ask. I have a pipe bender, so I am tempted to just find a metal pipe of the right size, bend it then glue the two halves of the broken plastic part together. It's not like it's holding the engine on or anything.

I can see it now. I'm going to get mad trying to find a tiny pipe or bend it and I am going to purchase a $160.00 part.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I got an idea for a story that I’m excited to write, but I’m realizing it will need a lot of detailed research into subjects I don’t know well enough, and while I will enjoy that, it’s kind of frustrating because I’m just so eager to start writing right away.
    I'm just the opposite. I spend all my time on deep-dive story research that turns into distracting internet tangents that somehow always end up with browsing Wikipedia or TV Tropes.

What writing? Was I even writing?

My working hypothesis is that it's a dog toy.
    I think it’s probably food dropped from a passing UFO by ETs who eat plastic burgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'm just the opposite. I spend all my time on deep-dive story research that turns into distracting internet tangents that somehow always end up with browsing Wikipedia or TV Tropes.

What writing? Was I even writing?
    Oh, I have that problem, too. And the stuff that distracts me isn’t even the stuff I need to research!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Trying to reset biological clock, yesterday tried cutting back on the caffeine.

Another reason for I having sleeping issues at the moment is some anxiety about something, hope once it is resolved I can sleep better.

Google play keeps sending messages: Important account action required!
    They wanted to enter my birthday.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Google play keeps sending messages: Important account action required!
    They wanted to enter my birthday.
    No.
    When a live telescammer asks for my birth date, I like to give March 22, 2233.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Brown water. Which we had coming out of our faucets (taps, to some of you) last evening and this morning. I figured it was the community water system, again. But my wife figured out maybe it was our water-softening and filtration system. I asked the HOA and they weren't aware of a problem so I called a plumber. And looked at the system. Hmm, we've been hear more than 2.5 years, maybe I should have figured out how to change the element in that filter. And program the softener. Has it been using the salt I put in the barrel? Nope. It's just turned into a block.

Plumber arrives. Suspects its the filter, obtains a new element, and takes the housing off. There's never been an element in it. Just the original instruction sheet. Nuts.
    I'm putting that 80% on me and 20% on the builder being in the most awful hurry to turn the house over and get paid.
    They'll be back soon to get the softener working. But at least now I know how to bypass the filter and softener.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Brown water. Which we had coming out of our faucets (taps, to some of you) last evening and this morning. I figured it was the community water system, again. But my wife figured out maybe it was our water-softening and filtration system. I asked the HOA and they weren't aware of a problem so I called a plumber. And looked at the system. Hmm, we've been hear more than 2.5 years, maybe I should have figured out how to change the element in that filter. And program the softener. Has it been using the salt I put in the barrel? Nope. It's just turned into a block.

Plumber arrives. Suspects its the filter, obtains a new element, and takes the housing off. There's never been an element in it. Just the original instruction sheet. Nuts.
    I'm putting that 80% on me and 20% on the builder being in the most awful hurry to turn the house over and get paid.
    They'll be back soon to get the softener working. But at least now I know how to bypass the filter and softener.
    The brown is most likely iron and /or, manganese oxides from the water source, not the softener’s job. Which is Calcium. If it is metal salts it is not unhealthy but unsightly. A sediment filter, or settlement tank removes them.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Right now in life because no real outside the property things to do I am in a sleep pattern of whenever I fell sleepy I go to sleep, this is probably bugging others more then me.

Sometimes while waiting for help from a relative can be annoying because you don't when they will show up or got called away for some reason.

And I have come to the conclusion that the stupid or the the smart on the internet always existed the internet just exposes it better.

We have this wacky tradition of birthday breakfast. In our house, whoever has a birthday gets breakfast in bed. We have this funny stuffed bear that sings happy birthday and a special birthday playlist on an old ipod for each person in our household.

Last year, things went wrong with Covid. When my youngest son's birthday (16 at the time) rolled around in May, he came into our room and sat on our bed for breakfast. Then his younger sister and older brother came in and sat down. Everyone had breakfast in our bed. The dog smelled waffles and came running to see what she was having. Everyone laughed and petted the dog until there was this loud snap-pop as the box spring collapsed.

With the pandemic on, I couldn't find a good box spring and had to order this heavy metal box spring off of a website. It's 16" inches tall and is really heavy. My wife commented that she hated it, but at least it was unbreakable.

Fast forward to my oldest son's birthday in July. We put the dog on the bed, then I served breakfast in bed. There was an incredible snap-pop as the whole frame of the bed collapsed.

The bolts actually tore through the metal frame making repair impossible. I ordered a new bed frame and a new pillow topped mattress off a website, sight unseen. Annoying but necessary. Then we realized that with a 16" boxspring, a 12" thick mattress and a 10" tall bed frame makes getting into bed very difficult.

I mention this today because after suffering through this for months we have a much smaller box spring arriving later today. I have no idea what I will do with the old one. I'm tempted to throw it on the roof of my car and drive it to the nearest thrift shop, but it's raining cats and dogs. So I will have to store it until Monday.
    Solfe

I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that a battery failure had ruined the remote for our powered roller shades. This left the shades where they had last been, including one half down over the French door to the deck, which has been a real pain when I wanted to go out there.
    So anyhow, today I needed to replace the batteries in one of the shades in the other group, the ones whose remote still works. It always takes them a bit to reboot after changing batteries. But my wife thought maybe they weren't working and for no reason I know of I tried pushing the button on one end of the shade. It made the shade go up. Hmmmm.
    So I went out in the living room and pushed the buttons on those ones. They went up. I've been putting up with this for two weeks and all I had to do was push a dang button. And I knew the button existed because I'd tried using it to get them to hook back up to the remote. The difference was that that involved holding it down until a light flashed, I hadn't tried just pushing and letting go.

Trivial now, I guess but didn't seem so at the time: It got to be time for canned cat treat last evening and I suddenly realized I hadn't seen one of them all day. I first checked in her usual hangout -- cupboard in my bathroom, behind the now very hairy towels, and she wasn't there. A search ensued for a frantic ten minutes, I even went and called outside in case she'd escaped somehow. I finally got down on the floor and found her under a bed. And then had to get myself up, which isn't all that easy any more. She had to have heard us calling but, you know, cats.

She had to have heard us calling but, you know, cats.
    Yep... cats.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules