Page 51 of 413 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 12378

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Christmas cards with glitter! It comes off.
    And for heavens sake the latest card with
    the stuff carries a warning about not rubbing
    it in your eyes!

Cannot make a fuss though, still want a card
    next Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Most cyclists don't bother me, but one guy in my area drives me nuts. On a five lane road (2 lanes each way and a center turn lane), he will overtake turning cars and pass them inside their intended turn radius.

IE When a car is stopped in the center turn lane and turning left, the bicyclist changes lanes to get behind them and passes them on the left side. Obviously, this also puts him in the oncoming traffic lane. He's been bad driver for 2.5 years, but this is a relatively new habit. He is going run out of luck someday.

My wife is a nurse and has a morbid sense of humor. She calls him "the future organ donor."
    I've ridden into doors of parked cars that were suddenly opened in front of me, I think your wife is right.

I used to see him 4 days a week after my last class. After a few encounters, I figured out that if I stopped for coffee or went to the library, he wasn't my problem anymore.
    Solfe

That should work both ways: If a bike effectively occupies a whole lane, its driver shouldn't be allowed to squeeze between two cars or share a lane with one.

People who think meta and recursive answers to questions are endlessly clever and amusing.

Which doesn't stop me giving one now:

What bugs me is that several times over the last few days something trivial has bugged me and I've thought, "Must post this to that thread!" Then, much later, I've been sat at my PC and I've forgotten what it was that bugged me.

Just remembered one:

As some people might have noticed, I'm a huge fan of the Silent Hill series of video games. The first movie adaptation was sort of quite goodish. I didn't get to see the sequel at the cinema and the DVD isn't coming out till March so yesterday I had a look on YouTube to see if they had any short excerpts other than the original trailers. To my surprise I found the entire film - all 1 hour 27 minutes of it. So I watched the first hour and a bit, then had to go to the doctor's followed by the works Christmas party.

By the time I got home, it had been taken down. So now I have to wait till March to see the rest of it. The worst of it is, I've seen enough of it to know it really is a pretty poor film. So, being a completist, I am condemned to paying good money for about 25 minutes of a film I would have happily abandoned if it hadn't been part of the Silent Hill franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Christmas cards with glitter! It comes off.
    And for heavens sake the latest card with
    the stuff carries a warning about not rubbing
    it in your eyes!
    My wife would stand over the trashcan when opening cards from a certain friend because she knew the envelope would be filled with glitter.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by primummobile View Post
    I get annoyed when bicyclists take up four feet of the driving lane just because they can. I get annoyed when pedestrians take longer than they need to cross the street just because they can.
    I was ticked off a few years ago riding in a local bicycle event where the road was open only to bicyclists, some of whom were riding four abreast across the entire road going about six mph while chatting.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post

What bugs me is that several times over the last few days something trivial has bugged me and I've thought, "Must post this to that thread!" Then, much later, I've been sat at my PC and I've forgotten what it was that bugged me.

When I was a kid, and when I (or any other kid) would want to say something but have to wait and wait to be heard, and fall back on "Er, I forgot what I was gonna say ..., " the nearest teacher or parent would invariably say "Well, it couldn't have been very important." Never failed to happen.

(The other inevitable was when your excuse was that you left your homework "at home." The mandatory response was: "That's a good place for it.")

Did you notice that if the 23rd-ranked college football team upsets the 19th-ranked team, they always flash the "We're Number One!" gesture when the win is clinched.

Shouldn't they be saying "We're Number Nineteen ... at Best"? Alas, not that many fingers, eh?

(What with something like 30 bowl games on, even if the selection logic is perfect, it means that the 60th-best team in the nation has a chance to make this claim if they win.)

Edit: I underestimated! There were 35 "bowl" games in December 2012 and January 2013. I found out that there were 72 major college football teams in the country who both met minimum bowl eligibility requirements (with regard to won-lost records) and weren't banned for other reasons, so only two eligible teams were left out!

You'd think that those last two could have been permitted to stage their own bowl contest. Of course, whether #71 or #72 won, they'd still lay claim to being #1 in the aftermath.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2013-Jan-02 at 08:23 PM.

Sort of amuses me too, but I'll put it here.

'Tis the season for my sister (a masochist) to make a 1,000-mile trek (grown son in tow) to visit our mother. My sister does not like breaking out of her routine, much less being far from home. And to make matters worse, she drives. Won't fly; drives.

She telephoned an hour ago, cussing up a storm, nearly livid over misunderstood directions her husband gave her (his idea of how she should get to mother's house [why not go the old tried and true route??]), which took her on a 1.5 hour "unexpected detour" through a national forest (scant traffic). Something about the GPS not working or not programmed right (but she's techno-avoidant anyway; seldom gets online).

She'll arrive at my mother's and gripe the entire time. And on the drive back.

Just. Stay. Home.

Really sets herself and everyone up for a fine holiday ......? Hmmm.

My youngest two children have no modestly. They will strip down anywhere, say the kitchen or in front of the TV, instead of a place with a hamper or laundry chute.

This means I randomly find underwear and socks in the strangest places.
    Solfe

Yeah, I'm given to understand that it's not an unusual thing in kids. So, you know, that's fun to look forward to.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Here is the best parenting advice I can give for boys.

If you have one of those changing tables with diaper storage under the tabletop, get the diaper first. Never, I repeat, never do anything that would place your head near or below the changing tabletop when a boy is lying there.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2012-Dec-24 at 05:31 PM.
    Solfe

If you have one of those changing tables with diaper storage under the tabletop, get the diaper first. Never, I repeat, never do anything that would place your head near or below the change tabletop when a boy is lying there.
    We forgot to have the diaper handy on two occasions with my eldest. The first time, he hit the wall on the other side of the room. The second time, he managed -- somehow -- to get himself right between the eyes. I don't know which startled him more -- the sudden dousing or the ensuing laughter.
    So many bugs, so little time.

My youngest two children have no modestly. They will strip down anywhere, say the kitchen or in front of the TV, instead of a place with a hamper or laundry chute.

This means I randomly find underwear and socks in the strangest places.
    When my son was little, he was likely to move other people's clothes about, to no particular purpose.

One time I had to track down my shoes in two different rooms. The thought struck me that, for my entire life, no two shoes of mine had never been separeated by more than the length of one good stride. Now, two different rooms, imagine that!

We used to find socks and other garments scattered around the house in the morning thanks to the cat.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Really sets herself and everyone up for a fine holiday ......? Hmmm.
    Indeed.

And my mother's already got the week planned for sister: Do her (mother's) laundry, etc.

Sometimes I miss my family.

Most other times I feel fortunate to be *here.*

If you have one of those changing tables with diaper storage under the tabletop, get the diaper first. Never, I repeat, never do anything that would place your head near or below the change tabletop when a boy is lying there.
    They make little cones of waterproof cloth that are changing accessories for boy babies. I've heard them called silly, but if we're having a boy, I'm getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We used to find socks and other garments scattered around the house in the morning thanks to the cat.
    Until the other day, we had a cat who hated Graham's socks. He would do this adorable little stomping dance on top of them, if they were lying on the floor. I am sad that I never did manage to get it on camera. I doubt he does it with anyone else's, because he never did it with mine or our roommate's, so it's not as though she'll be able to film him at it now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

They look so cute and then they strike.

Back to the trivial buggy stuff.

I took a picture of this resealable bag. The last time I encountered this product, I thought I must have cut off the closure or something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	17802

Nope.

EDIT - On further examination by a 7 year old, there is a piece of clear tape on the back of the package to "reseal" the bag. I am still losing my eternal battle with packaging.
    Solfe

And I thought my cat was the only one who coveted socks. Yep, just wait 5 minutes after lights out at night, and he starts meowing with intensity, and the sock soap opera starts.... with him distributing socks to different places, his kitty dish,
    the bathroom door, the front door, maybe the foot of our bed. It's quite a show. Hmmm...

In my case the sock-loving cat had clear sexual attraction to them, despite having been neutered. Also to my bathrobe.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

"Cats are nice." -- Death (Terry Pratchett)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In my case the sock-loving cat had clear sexual attraction to them, despite having been neutered. Also to my bathrobe.
    We had two neutered males. Mine is clearly missing the other one. It wasn't just that they were best friends. I think D was in love. He used to follow Malcolm around, sniffing his butt. It annoyed Malcolm quite a lot and wasn't exactly cute to the humans, either.

"You can't erase icing."

My understanding, with both cats and dogs, is that the one sniffing the butt is asserting dominance. Maybe that's why it annoyed the other.

Twice so far this morning.

People who come into places like hotels and grocery stores on holidays and then say some variation of "It's terrible they make you work on a holiday."

It's cause and effect, people. The reason I'm working is you won't stay home.

I used to get this on Sundays at the store. Usually from people that do their shopping after church, but are offended that anyone should have to work on Sunday.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Everybody here works on Christmas; oddly they mostly seem to have taken yesterday off (they like long weekends). I would say the Puritan ethic hasn't quite penetrated this part of the world yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    Twice so far this morning.

People who come into places like hotels and grocery stores on holidays and then say some variation of "It's terrible they make you work on a holiday."

I used to get this on Sundays at the store. Usually from people that do their shopping after church, but are offended that anyone should have to work on Sunday.
    I understand there are some places that absolutely can't close, but staffing a store with tired, grumpy staff in a holiday themed environment is just dumb. I make of a point of filling the gas tank and picking up groceries several days before the holiday just so I don't have go into a store.

Tim Horton's has it down. They shorten the hours the day before the holidays and close for the actual holiday. As much as it bothers me that I can't have a wonderful double-double, I would rather see people have a day off.

If I were the maniac in charge, I would give hotel workers a special day off one weekend a season. The problem is, where do they vacation with all the hotels closed? Maybe a bed and breakfast? As soon as I solve that problem I will let you know. I think that little problems like this are all that stands in the way of my complete world domination.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
    My understanding, with both cats and dogs, is that the one sniffing the butt is asserting dominance. Maybe that's why it annoyed the other.
    No; mine is obviously the dominant one. It's the walking behind him, sniffing, part that annoyed the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    I got that when I did phone customer service. People called on holidays and were shocked that someone answered. And it was kind of like, "If you didn't think we'd answer, why did you call?" Though I must say I didn't mind working on Christmas, given that my holiday was days ago and they were paying time-and-a-half.

Gosh, you mean people were failing to consider the consequences of their actions?

"You can't erase icing."

Even after nine years, Graham's family still doesn't seem to know me very well. At least, not judging by my presents.

"You can't erase icing."