Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to strip off the beta labels!

Getting ready to strip off the beta labels!

We're gearing up for an early May public launch of Ice Investigators. Help us put the code through it's final paces and let us know what features you want to see before we strip off its beta tag! Our current todo list includes galleries and better tutorials. What else should be add?

A filter function (by status) in the gallery (former called "My Icehuntings") would be very useful.
    Keep up the good work!

The tutorial makes reference to markers and procedures used in the previous search program.

"place a circle around it"
    "click on the green asteric"
    "If you click and drag inside the circle you can move it around"

Is convenient to change the text.

Rafael

rafaelg is brilliant!

I've found another item that may be corrected. In the tutorial 'blob' is mentioned, yet in the Mapping Tools box 'transient' is mentioned. Perhaps we should be consistent in whether we are to label our targets as either 'transients' or as 'blobs'.

Thank you for these suggestions, Huntrrr and rafaelg! And welcome here on CosmoQuest.

Quote Originally Posted by starstryder View Post
    We're gearing up for an early May public launch of Ice Investigators. Help us put the code through it's final paces and let us know what features you want to see before we strip off its beta tag! Our current todo list includes galleries and better tutorials. What else should be add?
    I'm not sure if "galleries and better tutorials" would cover it or not, but I think the Examples should include examples of what transients - of different brightnesses - look like in the various different difference images.

Recently there's been at least two different kinds of image, different from what we have seen before, in which the residuals look quite strange (and very different from residuals in earlier images). I'm quite unclear what a true transient would actually look like in these new images, especially if the transient were quite faint.

Also, the current page says "Badges & Karma page coming soon" - what are these?

The Newsletter section says:
    Want to keep up to date? Subscribe to our weekly e-newsletter, or sign up to get email alerts whenever we are starting a Google+ Hangout! (You can unsubscribe through your profile at any time.)
    If you aren't on Google+, presumably you can't join a Hangout (right?), but could still subscribe to the weekly e-newsletter. If so, then I suggest the label on the box ("I want regular Hangout Alerts!") be changed, or a box added to allow sign-up to just the e-newsletter.

The Report Bugs tab requires you to sign in, to report an II bug ... but I am already signed in! This is very confusing.

As far as I know, you can watch the Google+ Hangouts even if you're not a Google+ member ("Hangouts On Air").

Hi JeanTate, I e-mailed starstryder with your feedback. She answered all of your questions, but has a lot to do at the moment with Ice Investigators. I'll sum it up:

She'll do what she can to get more examples and have a look at the new images.

Badges and Karma: "Badge = Do 100 images, get digital certificate and pretty picture next to your name. Karma = Do good things on the forum and earn points for citizenry".

As far as Hangouts are concerned, you can watch them via CosmoQuest without being on G+. You only need Google+ or Twitter to ask questions or comment on the Hangouts.

And lastly, Bugzilla has a different login system, presumably to prevent trolls from easily leaving messages there.

I hope that helps a little.

I miss the 'Do science' button. How do I get from the forum back to the images? I log in and I only reach the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by anita View Post
    I miss the 'Do science' button. How do I get from the forum back to the images? I log in and I only reach the forum.
    Clicking on the CosmoQuest logo brings you back to the main page (where Ice Investigators is featured at the moment). You can also select the project first and then log in to save your submissions.

One niggly little thing for me - the "Bad Image" check box is a little distracting - at a quick glance at the page it looks like a transient in the image. Maybe if it was moved further from the picture (i.e. on the right of the label) or changed to a button or something rather than a check box (or radio button). Just a thought...

Glad to see the science continues

Counters like Icehunter.

Hy to all.
    I suggest to put again personal counters for the images done and in general for the total amount like in Icehunter project
    it seems to me that pppolly have the same my idea ( read the previous replies).
    Cheers Gonano.

Quote Originally Posted by gonano View Post
    I suggest to put again personal counters for the images done and in general for the total amount like in Icehunter project
    it seems to me that pppolly have the same my idea ( read the previous replies).
    I suppose the counters and statistics issue is already worked on, as far as I know from the science/development team.

If the counters are functioning how can i do to see how many images i've done or the total number of images of the project ?
    Cheers Gonano.

There have been problems with the counters, so they are not yet available. That's why they're labelled as "coming soon" at the moment. But I'll ask if there's any progress with the statistics

i thank you for your kindly and ready reply.
    Cheers Gonano.

It's possible to have the option of drag the marker around? To place it right when you click slightly off of place and want to correct

Sorry... correct without deleted it

Para arrastrar, hay que cambiar la herramienta de mapeo haciendo click en la flecha negra, asi se puede mover la marca arrastrandola con el mause.

Quote Originally Posted by rafaelg View Post
    Para arrastrar, hay que cambiar la herramienta de mapeo haciendo click en la flecha negra, asi se puede mover la marca arrastrandola con el mause.
    Omg... tenes razón... este monitor tiene ciertos problemas con el brillo y no había visto la fecha negra dentro del cuadrado

Gracias

Thanks, doubt about drag resolved ^^

Speaking of another matter... What are the guides to mark an image as bad?

Hy to everyboby.
    Excuse me to Shigeru and all people for the stupid question,
    these counters:

Marked confirmed
    Asteroids: 8 0
    Transients: 696 115
    Days Since Launch: 47
    Total Contributors: 181

Do they descrive the personal or total counts( except Days Since Launch and total contributors are clear meaning)? :
    Cheers Gonano.

Quote Originally Posted by gonano View Post
    Hy to everyboby.
    Excuse me to Shigeru and all people for the stupid question,
    these counters:

Marked confirmed
    Asteroids: 8 0
    Transients: 696 115
    Days Since Launch: 47
    Total Contributors: 181

Do they descrive the personal or total counts( except Days Since Launch and total contributors are clear meaning)? :
    Cheers Gonano.
    I think that only Days since launch and total contributors are global counters, but they are still a little glitchy last night there was a lot more of contributors

The counter is not working

It is still not working

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamDungworth View Post
    It is still not working
    I'm sorry about that. I already e-mailed the team but have no answer yet.

Hi,

If the "confirmed" row in the statistics really means "confirmed by other Ice Investigators", is it possible to have a row meaning "Confirmed as a transient by science team" ?

Hi all,

Right now confirmed just means confirmed by other ice investigators. We're still working on the pipeline to get scientist feedback, and once we have that feedback, we'll be adding in that stat. I'm going to be working today to update all the content pages as needed, and to add a toolbar to the forums that makes it easier to go back to the science pages.

Cheers,
    Pamela

Any plans for global counters : total number of images, number of unmarked images, etc (like the ones we had in Ice Hunters)?

Thanks
    Karthik

a monthly achievements or discovery list of ice investigators members will be very interesting!!!!!!!!