Thread: Confirmed?

Confirmed?

In the "My Ice" info table there is a column titled "confirmed". What does this mean exactly? Who has confirmed it and how?

I think I figured it out. It's self-confirmation, right? In other words, if I mark an item on a picture, I will later be shown the same picture and if I again mark the same item, it will now be "confirmed". Am I close?

Until and Ice Investigators person comes on, I can tell you that in MoonMappers the idea is that after many people mark an image, a code on the server will check to see if any are marked by most of the people. If they are, and if those were ones you marked, then "confirmed" goes up in your count. At least, I think that's how it will be working ... maybe one of the programming team can clarify.

On icehunters "confirmed" meant atleast one other user had marked that same object.

OK, thanks. That's what I initially thought but then I noticed 2 things:

1) I would sometimes get images (with transients) that I recognized (or thought I recognized)
    2) When I marked the transient and submitted the image, the "confirmed" column would increase by 1 immediately.

And with only 181 contributors it seemed unlikely that this pattern was just coincidence. But I guess it was.

Sorry to be a bother about this, but today I just confirmed that we are presented with the same image more than once. I began today to save each image where I had marked a transient and after just 12 images I was presented with an image which I had already marked.

I wonder if one of the programming team could comment on this and explain what the purpose of this is if not for self-confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishDynamite View Post
    Sorry to be a bother about this, but today I just confirmed that we are presented with the same image more than once. I began today to save each image where I had marked a transient and after just 12 images I was presented with an image which I had already marked.

I wonder if one of the programming team could comment on this and explain what the purpose of this is if not for self-confirmation.
    Which interface was this (Ice or Moon)? Note that you can also submit bugs yourself by going over to Bugzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by astrostu View Post
    Which interface was this (Ice or Moon)? Note that you can also submit bugs yourself by going over to Bugzilla.
    The Ice interface.

Okay, this is now getting a little ridiculous.

I'm stilling saving the images where I mark a transient, and today I was presented for the third time with an image I had already marked twice previously!

Now, I read somewhere on this site (a blog post?) that the way these images are created is that several different images of the same part of the sky are subtracted from a "master" image and the results are shown here. So if the master image is called A and there are 3 other images of that same area, called B, C and D, then we are presented with the images A-B, A-C and A-D. This makes sense to me.

And I know it's true as I now have 5 images in my file of the same area of sky, 3 of which are of one type (see my first and second sentence in this post) and 2 of which are of another type. (I'll post them all here if requested.)

But I really don't see the purpose of showing us the exact same image 3 times! Can anyone at CosmoQuest explain what's going on?

The search displays each image at least 8 times to ensure that all objects are seen. Surely for objects more nitidos would not lack, but the KBO tend to be very tenuous and diffuse,for these KBO is necessary to repeat the image over and over again to different people to ensure that someone will see them.
    The program is in beta test, surely works with a few images in database. As yet we are few working together, each person will see many times. When the amount of images and people increase already we will not see as many repetitions.

I've been getting alot of the same images to and I just figured its in beta so they are checking us users for consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishDynamite View Post
    Can anyone at CosmoQuest explain what's going on?
    I'll try and find someone from the team to do that... And rafaelg's explanation sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kmasterdo View Post
    I'll try and find someone from the team to do that... And rafaelg's explanation sounds good to me.
    Been waiting almost a week now for an explanation from the programming team. I look forward to it happening.