Thread: Ice Hunters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ice Hunters

From other posters here I learned that there was a Citizen Scientist project similar to Ice Investigators which was called Ice Hunters. After googling a bit, it seems this project had the same key people as instigators, the same goal of finding KBO for New Horizons and the same method of finding them. A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know why the Ice Hunters project was ended earlier this year and this new Ice Investigators project was started?

2. Is there a page where one can see the final statistics of the Ice Hunters project? I'm thinking of things like: total images viewed, total transients marked, total KBO found, total new KBO officially recognized, total variable stars marked, etc. I think those data could be quite interesting, just to see what can be achieved.

I found the link http://www.icehunters.org/catalogue.php which apparently has the catalogues of objects found. Roughly estimating from the number of objects per page and the number of pages, it appears the following was found:

Number of KBO: 150
    Number of variable stars: 84,000
    Number of asteroids: 15,000

Impressive. Anyone know if the objects in the catalogues are all new discoveries or if some might just be objects that are already known?

The tabular view of the KBOs in Icehunters says: In some cases, different Master IDs represent the same KBO observed on different date. These will be matched with their Official Name. I assume, this goes for the other stats as well.

The number of KBO is, as far as I know, the number of different images containing a KBO.
    Only 2 KBOs have been submitted to the Minor Planet Center (2004 LV31 & 2004 LW31). To be accepted on the MPC, a new object must be given with several positions (22 different positions in this form : http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K12/K12FA9.html). Each position is an image.
    I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that other KBOs have been found, but with insufficient data yet to get a precise orbit. And if you can't have a precise orbit, you can't be submitted on the MPC database.

The New Horizons team was behind both the Ice Hunters and Ice Investigators projects, and I was the lead programmer for Ice Hunters, and the lead designer with coders Cory Lehan and Joe Moore for Ice Investigators.

I think, but need to double check, that all the KBOs discovered were new, and the final number was several tens of objects once all the pointings were combined. We'll be putting up those catalogues later this summer.

Thanks for the info everyone. Still, my two main questions seem to remain unanswered.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishDynamite View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. Still, my two main questions seem to remain unanswered.
    To your first question: My understanding is that the IceHunters investigation ended when all available data (over 8 million images) had been examined. The Ice Investigators project is beginning with the availability of new data. I assume the new project is beginning on this new site because the operators of the project feel it gives them more control over the project. Not that I have any inside information.

Personaly, cosmoquest looks like a cheap replica of what Icehunters once has been. In order to save traffic they dropped the conrast button, the marking correction is also not as good. Because Icehunters shows up like a subtopic of a bigger forum, you "don't feel like at home" in the forum and the discussions are not as intense.

Actually, there are likely more than just two KBOs that were found during the Icehunters survey. It is still not clear though what they're hiding. I decided not to spend too much time on this site till they keep their promises and publish the data on icehunters.org (which is currently down).

Hi servic, the contrast button is currently disabled because the image set that's now in the queue does not provide two contrasts (see starstryder's post here)

Thanks kmasterdo, great to hear the button is only temporary away. I thought the guys are saving internet traffic.

Concerning the other topic, it is still somewhat a shame that scientists pretend not to see the questions regarding the results. A simple response "we're working on it" or better "we expect the results being published within the next X months, the delays are however possible" would be great.

No response shows disrespect to the ones that click through the data. If I got it right, a parallel effort of automatic analysis is also being pursued. Would be interesting to know how we perform in comparison.

bonsoir,
    Yes, I confess it's hard to well follow this saga.
    The first KBO investigation throught Ice Hunter project had found two objects. I was in the MPC list !!! Then, what occured, misty to say !
    Happy to have find Cosmoquest. I have already began to work.
    Lehensuge

Hi DanishDynamite, Yep, I've been a bit confused over the same thing. I joined Ice hunters last year and then had a long break, only starting again in the last couple of months. Pam and her team are all on the new site so I'm guessing that they've just updated the site. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked them directly, just to be sure.

I was thinking the same, here we are ready to hunt more kbo's!

Hi all,

http://www.icehunters.org/catalogue.php

is no longer available.

Will never be more visible archive of the Ice Hunter online ?