Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New Horizons mission overview paper

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    24

    Post New Horizons mission overview paper

    This is a paper I found the other day:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.4417
    The title says it all: "The New Horizons Pluto Kuiper belt Mission: An Overview with Historical Context". I hope someone find it useful/interesting.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    265
    Thank you for sharing this!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cordoba, Argentina
    Posts
    105
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cordoba, Argentina
    Posts
    105
    Very good read!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    265
    I told the team about the paper so that it should get added to the Resource Library section.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by kmasterdo View Post
    I told the team about the paper so that it should get added to the Resource Library section.
    Good idea!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,099
    When the New Horizons mission was proposed for development it was in competition with another proposal for a probe to Europa.
    I was disappointed at the time that NH got the nod over the Europa probe but I suppose wiser heads then me made that decision.
    Can someone remind me why NH was selected over Europa?
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”
    ― Carl Sagan

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,148
    Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO BOY View Post
    When the New Horizons mission was proposed for development it was in competition with another proposal for a probe to Europa.
    I was disappointed at the time that NH got the nod over the Europa probe but I suppose wiser heads then me made that decision.
    Can someone remind me why NH was selected over Europa?
    I don't know the answer to this question, but this is a pretty inactive thread. You might want to post this question as a new thread in Space Exploration, or take a look at the Space Explorations New Horizon thread.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks for the advice. As you see, I have started a thread on this.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”
    ― Carl Sagan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,573
    Here is a history of all sorts of gravity assist missions you may find of interest

    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ace-1961-1971/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Here is a history of all sorts of gravity assist missions you may find of interest

    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ace-1961-1971/
    Yes, this theme is very intresting for me. Please add some articles else.
    Last edited by kaufenpreis; 2015-Sep-13 at 09:10 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2010-Sep-03, 05:10 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2006-Aug-26, 08:28 PM
  3. New Horizons II: Mission to Uranus
    By ToSeek in forum Space Exploration
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2006-Apr-06, 12:26 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2005-Sep-13, 01:13 PM
  5. Discussion: New Horizons Mission Will Measure ...
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2004-Jun-10, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •