Thread: Astronomy-Related Activities Map

Astronomy-Related Activities Map

I've been noodling with Google Maps for my own career development, and it occurred to me a fun project might be something for astronomy related activities. A map of places to go experience space stuff. It could be planetariums, good viewing sites, observatories and what-not. Does this exist already somewhere? Does it sound like a worthy project?

I put together a rough, first pass, proof of concept: http://www.spaceplaces.org/
    Last edited by John Reed; 2012-Jul-22 at 02:07 AM. Reason: updated url

It sounds like a great project

On your proof of concept map, would it be possible to color-code, like observatories in blue, planetariums in red, etc.?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Very definitely worthy.

Hmm - I'm preparing a talk for this year's Space Track programming at DragonCon on space and astronomy tourism - maybe I should pop in here when I get the PDF version posted.

I could use some volunteers to enter in their favorite astronomy related sites to visit. It's a quick and easy form:

http://www.spaceplaces.org/submitsite.html

Only enter sites that are open to the public. Please note, it does not update in real-time, I have to import the data to the map. It's kind of lame, but offers the most flexibility(and also prevents people spamming the map).

Also, only enter in locations with a valid street address. I will figure out a way to work with GPS/long/lat coordinates of your favorite dark sky place when the time comes for that. For now, let's just see what people come up with.

Thanks!

John
    Last edited by John Reed; 2012-Jul-22 at 02:08 AM. Reason: updated url

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    ...would it be possible to color-code, like observatories in blue, planetariums in red, etc.?
    Swift, that's great feedback and I have implemented it. Keep the ideas coming! There's a lot more to be done, and hopefully we can make this into something really cool.

Thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    ...this year's Space Track programming at DragonCon on space and astronomy tourism...
    ngc3314, I hadn't even thought of events! Thanks for bringing this up. I have added Space Track at DragonCon, which by the way, I had no idea existed. This map thing could work well for others too.

I'll need to put some thought in how to store time-sensitive data, but I've added it. Dragon*Con looks annual so there won't be a need to remove it, but now that you've opened this door, other events might be one-off and I'll need to expire them somehow.

Thanks!

I put in a couple of ones around here (Northeast Ohio) and I'll add others as I think of them.

Now with moderator hat on - this is so cool that I'm going to sticky it. Maybe if it really gets going we could put the link some place prominent.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I put in a couple of ones around here (Northeast Ohio) and I'll add others as I think of them.

Now with moderator hat on - this is so cool that I'm going to sticky it. Maybe if it really gets going we could put the link some place prominent.
    Thanks Swift, I am honored! And I was tickled to see your entries go through.

The site has been moved to a new home, Space-Places.com!

Easy to remember, catchy rhyme that hopefully catches on...

This is awesome! When you have it done (enough to go public - it will never be done done), so you want to do a guest post about it on CosmoQuest?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmoquest View Post
    This is awesome! When you have it done (enough to go public - it will never be done done), so you want to do a guest post about it on CosmoQuest?
    Wow! I'd be doubleplus honored

spaceplaces.org is growing! We're up to 144 sites and counting. Check it out. And if YOUR favorite Space Place is not on the map, be sure to put it there.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmoquest View Post
    Hey CosmoQuest! I am ready to go public on this and would like to take you up on your offer for a guest post. I sent you a couple PM's. I know you've been very busy though, keep up the good work. Space needs you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reed View Post
    Hey CosmoQuest! I am ready to go public on this and would like to take you up on your offer for a guest post. I sent you a couple PM's. I know you've been very busy though, keep up the good work. Space needs you.
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    Hmm - I'm preparing a talk for this year's Space Track programming at DragonCon on space and astronomy tourism - maybe I should pop in here when I get the PDF version posted.
    And here it is (being presented tomorrow morning - Astronomical Tourism, a 27-Mbyte PDF with many illustrations and links. It's keyed largely to what visitors can see at astronomical spots (and a few space centers). Coverage of college observatories with public programs does drop rapidly with distance from Atlanta, since there are so many of them.

What about sites that are semi-open to the public? I am happy to share my fairly dark skies though it is private land and I just need to be contacted before visits. Can I get listed?

Hi there Cosmoquest,

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct place to post this but I feel it is a related event that some of you may be interested in:

Join Professor Brian Cox for a truly unique evening on Tuesday 2nd September 2014 at the Royal Geographical Society. Professor Cox will discuss a range of topics in a lively conversation with broadcaster Sue Nelson. The event will raise money for the Society of Biology, whose vision is of a world that understands the true value of biology and how it can contribute to improving life for all.
    Brian Cox is professor of physics at The University of Manchester and an Honorary Fellow of the Society of Biology. He will discuss the wonders of life, the universe, science broadcasting and more.
    A limited number of tickets will be available for a VIP Champagne Reception after the conversation where Brian will circulate and chat more informally to guests. Those with a VIP ticket will also have the opportunity to submit a question for Brian and he will answer a selection of these during his on-stage appearance. Tickets to this one-off event will sell out fast so don't miss out!

https://www.societyofbiology.org/ind...ssor-brian-cox