Page 398 of 404 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,940 of 12095

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    The best thing to do about sports in low gravity is invent new ones that are meant for that environment, not just watch the same old ones happen slower and take up more space.
    Water ball fights. 3D maze races. Pool Surface Running. Ender's Game Laser Tag.

There's a game in a novel I read that's basically low G paddleball, but bounced off the floor to lift yourself. First one to touch the ground loses.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Highland Games but with excessively big/heavy pieces of equipment to toss around.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Highland Games but with excessively big/heavy pieces of equipment to toss around.
    That's already the design of Highland Games. Big Don had a good story about his attempt to toss the caber, though I can't remember if he told it here.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Instead of a caber use human beings; the Caleb Toss.

Yesterday, we went to a park I hadn't been to before. It was called Avonlea Park, which already set my L. M. Montgomery fan senses tingling--and then I discovered it was on Ingleside Road. Avonlea is the town Green Gables was in; when Anne and Gilbert married, they ended up buying a house that they called Ingleside.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

A friend of mine had a baby. Her grandmother suggested a few baby care ideas that were wonderful and also a product for teething. The advice on teething that months and months too early. My friend loves to be prepared so she walked in a pharmacy and asked for it. It turns out it used to be a product with both alcohol and cocaine.

As I understand it, the pharmacist was older and understood what it was because the request occurs so often. They ignored the name and suggested a more modern solution, including the fact that she should probably wait until her baby starts teething. It was probably the most mild attempt at redirection with only a tiny bit of amusement.

My friend can't get over this goof and often tells the story. It's been years. She clearly intends to express guilt, but she is such a good storyteller you can hear the pharmacist's voice. It's hard not to laugh because she nails the pharmacists mild response to giving a baby cocaine and alcohol.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It turns out it used to be a product with both alcohol and cocaine.
    Oh, baby!

*sings* "Those were the daaaaays!"

I've been joking for years about soothing syrups.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    You mean like the organic cobra bio-lipids they used to sell? Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    In the "bugs me" department, they now have homeopathic ones, right next to the pharmacy counter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Piracy!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piracy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	26259
    It's a buck an ear.
    Not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Piracy!!!

Name:	Piracy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	26259
    It's a buck an ear.
    Not sorry.
    Sorry, that went over my head. What do you mean about piracy? And by "a buck an ear", you mean it's expensive?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Sorry, that went over my head. What do you mean about piracy? And by "a buck an ear", you mean it's expensive?
    <Cough>Buccaneer.</Cough>

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    <Cough>Buccaneer.</Cough>

Grant Hutchison
    As above, so below

In the "bugs me" department, they now have homeopathic ones, right next to the pharmacy counter.
    There are three pharmacies in my town. One I don't go to because of the store's general pricing policies. The second is part of a large chain that sells this water. And the last is a small independent that will not stock the water. The last one gets my business and the second one has been informed. It's all I can do.

Friend of mine did the electricity in his house himself, and being an automation buff he PLC'ed everything. He now can assign any light switch of his house to any light. I'll ask him in ten years if he ever felt a need to assign the toilet switch to something other than the toilet light, the hallway switch to something other than the hallway light, the kitchen switches to something other than the kitchen light...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    You mean like the organic cobra bio-lipids they used to sell? Yup.
    Did I say "used to"? Good thing everything sold these days is PERFECTLY FINE.

Yeah, the homeopathic ones are bad. But I'm talking the ones that let you get something done while your kids sleep away the afternoon.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    .. The second is part of a large chain that sells this water. And the last is a small independent that will not stock the water. ...
    Has it occurred to anyone that Hint Water is the homeopathic version of fruit juice?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'm posting this here, because I found it amusing, but it relates to a discussion that was had in another thread.

When I went to bed last night, my wife had the TV on, and there was a game show ("College Bowl", meaning the contestants were all college students). My ears perked up when a question was asked about Bill Gates paying $30 million to buy a certain Renaissance artist's notebook. I listened to hear how the contestants would identify the artist, and they went with a simple "da Vinci". No "Leonardo" at all, it was just, "Peyton, we're going to say 'da Vinci'."

They were given credit for providing the correct answer.

(For what it's worth, I basically consider "da Vinci" to be a nickname he's been given. It was never his official name, and it's not a "name", per se, but neither of those are requirements for a nickname anyway. And as a fairly common nickname, it's not inherently wrong to use it to refer to him.)
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

This guy "singing" along to Tequila. It cracks me up every time.
    Solfe

That would be me doing karaoke, except I'd be less animated and less verbal.

At my high school, the band was told not to play Tequila at games anymore because it's a celebration of alcohol. They and the pom-pon girls collaborated to solve the problem by simply shouting "Chiquita" instead. (That's the name of a company mostly known for bananas in this country. Nobody tells a band not to play a song about fruit.)

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    At my high school, the band was told not to play Tequila at games anymore because it's a celebration of alcohol. They and the pom-pon girls collaborated to solve the problem by simply shouting "Chiquita" instead. (That's the name of a company mostly known for bananas in this country. Nobody tells a band not to play a song about fruit.)
    Except in Honduras. They have some bad history with that company there.

Our daughter gets a kick out of the Hint Water commercial with the two lemurs. She can mimic their voices perfectly, and delights in the "Feet, hands. Feet, hands." riff.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

It amuses me that threads on the Pentagon UFO paper is in both the Universe Today and Conspiracy Theory fora.

I just received an automated message from a doctor to confirm an appointment for next week.

ďPress 1 to confirm, press 2 to reschedule or press 3 to cancel. ď

It was a text.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I just received an automated message from a doctor to confirm an appointment for next week.

“Press 1 to confirm, press 2 to reschedule or press 3 to cancel. “

It was a text.
    They may have meant reply instead of press.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    They may have meant reply instead of press.
    Of course. The amusing bit is that their office is woefully weak in IT so it's not surprising to see this kind of mixup. In any case I did indeed press 1.

Just whiled away an hour watching this fella through the binoculars:

Name:	aground.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	26274
    On his way into the bay he went about twenty feet left of the channel just before low tide, and stuck pretty fast. I guess he could have got out backwards immediately after the event, but that would have been pointless, given he had a mooring buoy in the bay. He's just rowed himself free on the rising tide, but slack water saw him wandering around the boat up to his ankles for a while, and then just sunbathing and smoking.

Grant Hutchison