Page 403 of 408 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405 ... LastLast
Results 12,061 to 12,090 of 12229

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

We had a cat with no name. He was referred to in the third person as "the cat", and in the second person as "cat".It seemed to work fine. No-one got confused, least of all the cat. But I guess names are useful if you have more than one. Though I'd be tempted to number them, on a point of principle.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    We had a cat with no name. He was referred to in the third person as "the cat", and in the second person as "cat".It seemed to work fine. No-one got confused, least of all the cat. But I guess names are useful if you have more than one. Though I'd be tempted to number them, on a point of principle.

Grant Hutchison
    Make it so, Number One!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Though I'd be tempted to number them, on a point of principle.
    What’s the point of principle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    What’s the point of principle?
    A joke, mainly.
    Our pets never had names when I was growing up, which wasn't particularly unusual in that time and place. They were "the tortoise", "the guinea pig", "the budgie" and "the cat". The successive budgerigars are now retrospectively referred to as "the first budgie", "the second budgie" (or "the budgie that bit people") and "the third budgie" (or "the blue budgie").
    I recall a primary-school teacher asking me what our cat's name was, and being genuinely puzzled about how anyone could find out what a cat's name was.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

A joke, mainly.
    Our pets never had names when I was growing up, which wasn't particularly unusual in that time and place. They were "the tortoise", "the guinea pig", "the budgie" and "the cat". The successive budgerigars are now retrospectively referred to as "the first budgie", "the second budgie" (or "the budgie that bit people") and "the third budgie" (or "the blue budgie").
    I largely sympathize. With dogs it kind of makes sense, because they do respond to human speech, but for a turtle it doesn’t make much sense since you can’t interact with them. I don’t think a cat responds either. For a monkey a name would make sense in my opinion.
    As above, so below

As a real little kid, I would name every non-human living thing in the house. I not only gave a name to each goldfish, but also to the snails in their tank. When I realized that the snails, never mind the fish, were indistinguishable and came and went without much notice, I gave up.

Sure, dogs and cats need names, but otherwise my live pets would go nameless unless some other family member chose to name them. My turtles were The Big One, The Little One, The Green One, The Other One. I had a parakeet who lived to a ripe old age of maybe 10 years and was never called aught but "The Bird."

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I largely sympathize. With dogs it kind of makes sense, because they do respond to human speech, but for a turtle it doesn’t make much sense since you can’t interact with them. I don’t think a cat responds either. For a monkey a name would make sense in my opinion.
    My brother used to speak about getting a dog, shortly after he was married, but they travelled a lot and never did. He was going to call it "dog", but acknowledged that there would be confusion if every dog-walker had a dog they addressed as "dog".
    I guess the underlying principle, if there is one at all, is that our family liked animals and enjoyed having them around, but we never interacted with them as if they were part of the family.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I've definitely had cats that came when you called them. At least as reliably as my children do, anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've definitely had cats that came when you called them. At least as reliably as my children do, anyway.
    Our cat used to come when we called, "Hey, cat!" Maybe he thought his name was "Hey, cat!" but I suspect he just associated a particular sound sequence and tone with pleasant experiences.
    Having checked to see that I am in the "amuses" thread, I'll remark that I'm amused by the long one-sided conversations some people have with their pets. My favourite was the lady with three tiny dogs on three leads which had become tangled around a lamp-post. She was standing holding the human ends of the leads in one hand, and issuing complex instructions to these tiny dogs, who had brains little bigger than a gerbil's--"No, no, Trixie. You go under Flopsie's lead. Under! Stand still Flopsie! No, go back go back go back, you're going the wrong way!"

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I've always liked the quip "A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A dog is a person."

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I've always liked the quip "A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A dog is a person."
    Unfortunately, dogs are the sort of people I find it pleasant enough to chat to for a short period of time on a social occasion, but find myself edging away from as an evening progresses, and would go to considerable lengths to avoid having as a house-guest.
    Uncritical enthusiasm exhausts me. I can see the appeal, and I can see why some people love them and treat them as if they're people, but if I spend too much time in the company of a happy dog I generally get a bit depressed.

Then there's the whole "wife bitten by a rabid dog" thing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Somebody got a new house it just drove past my place.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Then there's the whole "wife bitten by a rabid dog" thing.

Grant Hutchison
    Wife?

Does the Boon Companion know about her?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

We have seagulls nesting on the roof. The three chicks have progressed to falling off the roof and roaming the back garden (much to the consternation of the dog). My significant other likes to feed anything that moves, so naturallyshe broke some bread into beak sized pieces and scattered it near the birds. After disdainfully pecking at the bread, two of the chicks decided instead to fight over a stick and actually have a tug of war over it.

When scanning through twitter I often get annoyed and triggered by loud people who know nothing making sweeping pronouncements, especially about covid. Usually I block them so I don't see their future comments.
    However, I just discovered a feature of Twitter called lists. So now I add these annoying posters to my list and chuckle as my twitter feed puts a subheading "tweets from Idiots" before their misinformed ravings.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find an example that didn’t link to a online site selling the product, so I won’t show the image but just describe it. The image is of a t-shirt with the typical “evolution of man” graphic with our ancestors (more or less) up to present, but adds a person in a spacesuit floating in space as after us. That makes me laugh, but I like it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    We have seagulls nesting on the roof. The three chicks have progressed to falling off the roof and roaming the back garden (much to the consternation of the dog). My significant other likes to feed anything that moves, so naturallyshe broke some bread into beak sized pieces and scattered it near the birds. After disdainfully pecking at the bread, two of the chicks decided instead to fight over a stick and actually have a tug of war over it.
    (Not amusing.) My neighbor used to put out cat food for seagulls on her deck. She attracted raccoons. One of which bit her dog when it went out and it got infected and died. It had been a very sweet dog.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Speaking of cat names, I have stated to my family that I want to get a cat and call him Malcolm. Which might sound trivial, but "Malcolm" in Dutch is homophone for "milk bowl". The family was not impressed. Not even when I added that his full name would be "Malcolm Harington", which is homophone for "milk bowl barrel of herring".

In the past we had lots of cats due to the demands of the place we lived. They had semi-names: "stripe", "grey", "tiger", "hunter" and few and in between one of them would be tame enough to get a proper name.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

An online friend and I are co-writing an unofficial themed cookbook to a notoriously bad TV show from 1990. (Personally, I don't think it's that bad, though I also don't think it's good.) This means we are messaging each other back and forth with many terrible food-related puns tied to things from the show.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

An online friend and I are co-writing an unofficial themed cookbook to a notoriously bad TV show from 1990. (Personally, I don't think it's that bad, though I also don't think it's good.) This means we are messaging each other back and forth with many terrible food-related puns tied to things from the show.
    This must surely be "Cop Rock"?

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    When scanning through twitter I often get annoyed and triggered by loud people who know nothing making sweeping pronouncements, especially about covid. Usually I block them so I don't see their future comments.
    However, I just discovered a feature of Twitter called lists. So now I add these annoying posters to my list and chuckle as my twitter feed puts a subheading "tweets from Idiots" before their misinformed ravings.
    OMG I had no idea you could do that. Big thanks

Also, I just use the mute button

I recently visited a kitschy Tee shirt & souvenir shop in Ocean City, Maryland.
    On the 50%-off shelf we’re several 12” tall posh Pope Frances dolls.

I find it amusing that someone thought it was a good idea to sell these at this location.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    This must surely be "Cop Rock"?
    In fact it is!

"You can't erase icing."

In fact it is!
    I have never seen an episode but have read an awful lot of reviews and comments about its awfulness (boom boom) so it was the first one that came to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Pope Frances
    Has the Vatican suddenly become very progressive, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    If he wishes to identify that way, just who's going to stop him?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I could swear that I typed his name correctly. I wonder if my phone “corrected” it for me.
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2021-Jul-28 at 01:17 AM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    If he wishes to identify that way, just who's going to stop him?
    Not me in any case! I'm all for whatever makes whomever happy as long as it's not at the cost of others. So if a pope would, say, want to wear a robe...never mind.

One of the clothing experts who annually named the 10 Best Dressed Men put John Paul II on his list, because he looked so good in the papal robes. He said it was the first time that a man who doesn't own a pair of pants was chosen for this honor.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    One of the clothing experts who annually named the 10 Best Dressed Men put John Paul II on his list, because he looked so good in the papal robes. He said it was the first time that a man who doesn't own a pair of pants was chosen for this honor.
    Or, if you're in the UK, he may very well have pants but doesn't have trousers.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.