Page 366 of 372 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,980 of 11147

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

I was taking my grandson to a playground a little way from our house to play on a flying fox he likes. My daughters car was parked a little in my way so I cut across the lawn and under a tree to get onto the road. On the way to the playground I kept hearing a grinding noise and I was worried that the auto gearbox was playing up - the car is 15 years old. Anyway, before returning I laid down to have a look under the car and lo and behold a small branch off my tree had become stuck under the muffler and was dragging on the road. A far better result than a gearbox failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I was taking my grandson to a playground a little way from our house to play on a flying fox he likes. My daughters car was parked a little in my way so I cut across the lawn and under a tree to get onto the road. On the way to the playground I kept hearing a grinding noise and I was worried that the auto gearbox was playing up - the car is 15 years old. Anyway, before returning I laid down to have a look under the car and lo and behold a small branch off my tree had become stuck under the muffler and was dragging on the road. A far better result than a gearbox failure.
    What is a flying fox in this context?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

On a similar note, I was riding my bike a while back and heard the ominous hiss of a leaking tire. I rolled to a stop, only to find the tires fully inflated.
    Confused, I started again. And the hiss returned! It was actually a dry leaf stuck in the brake mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    What is a flying fox in this context?
    A piece of playground equipment like in these parks. https://buggybuddys.com.au/best-play...-fun-in-perth/

The one went to has only had the flying fox for about 12 months. I will have to drop a photo in tomorrow.

I too, want to know about the flying fox, because to me it's a very large bat.

Similar car story: Years ago I was driving along and was bugged by an annoying rattle coming from the area of the dash. Finally I took my right hand off the wheel and began pressing around various areas to see if I could determine where the rattle was coming from. Nothing changed. Then I went to repeat with the left hand and the rattle stopped the instant I took it off the wheel. Hand back on wheel, rattle resumed.
    It was my watch band.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A piece of playground equipment like in these parks. https://buggybuddys.com.au/best-play...-fun-in-perth/

The one went to has only had the flying fox for about 12 months. I will have to drop a photo in tomorrow.
    Aah, "zip line" for us then!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I realized a new sentence I can use to mess with people:

I was born the year terrorists attacked the World Trade Center*, and as a kid I saw John Glenn launch into space**, had "Dancing Queen" as one of my favorite new songs***, watched new episodes of Volton and had the toys****, and followed the eruption of Mount St. Helens in the news*****.

*In 1993
    **In 1998
    ***The A-Teens cover
    ****Voltron: The Third Dimension, 1998-2000
    *****In 2004
    That's pretty funny
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It was hot and humid today, but cooled sufficiently that Mrs EV and I decided to eat dinner on our deck. While we were eating, I commented that it was surprising there were no thunderstorms today, given the heat and humidity.

I then checked the weather app on my phone, and it had a big red screen announcing “Severe Thunderstorm Warning”. Amusing, because we had plenty of time to leisurely finish eating. Hopefully, things will stay in the amusing category as the storm passes.

This could have been either "bugs" or "amuses", but since I just posted in "bugs" I'll put it here.
    A few minutes ago I glanced out the back window and saw a strange woman walking across our deck on the back of the house. What the???? So I ran out before she got all the way down the steps and said "Hey, who the heck* are you?"
    *I didn't say "heck".

She was a census taker.

A bit of background: Our property is two conjoined (by the county) lots, about 100 feet wide and 260 feet long, running all the way from Spruce to Maple. Our old house was down at the top of the Spruce side and had a Spruce address. We built a new one just above on the Maple side, and now have a Maple address. The Spruce house was torn down, except for the semi-attached garage.

The census taker was looking for someone at the Spruce address, and had come all the way up the driveway and onto the deck of the new house. My wife says she may have knocked, but I didn't hear it.

Anyhow, once I saw who she was, I apologized for yelling, told her the situation, and gave her the new address, from which we did the census on line several months ago. And told her nobody is apparently living in in the house next to where the old one was.

All's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    This could have been either "bugs" or "amuses", but since I just posted in "bugs" I'll put it here.
    As with most of the entries in these particular threads.

A few minutes ago I glanced out the back window and saw a strange woman walking across our deck on the back of the house. What the???? So I ran out before she got all the way down the steps and said "Hey, who the heck* are you?"
    *I didn't say "heck".

She was a census taker.
    At the place where I was when I lived in the US, no census taker or other such person would ever have walked across the deck in the back of a house, or any similar place.

The reason is, these people prefer being alive to being dead.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

The description sounds like it appears to be the front porch if you're coming from one road and the back if you're coming from the other road, and this person just came from the wrong road without knowing it.

And just to prove that I did not take my 4 yr old grandson to play with a giant bat - though he would probably have liked that Photos of the flying fox and the attached playground.

This is a very nice spot with a lake in the wetter months, a large grassed park where Australian Rules Football and Cricket are played in the appropriate seasons, large changing rooms, well maintained public toilets and a Child Care Centre. There are free electric BBQ's with a picnic table or two. In fact my granddaughter had her 6th Birthday Party there with her friends from school.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike30.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	753.9 KB 
ID:	25465

Name:	Bike31.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	775.7 KB 
ID:	25466

Name:	Bike32.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	25467

Anyhow, once I saw who she was, I apologized for yelling, told her the situation, and gave her the new address, from which we did the census on line several months ago. And told her nobody is apparently living in in the house next to where the old one was.
    I don't think they have any way of getting information like that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Yes, she was just assigned to go to an address.
    We actually still have a mailbox with that address on it and occasionally something winds up in it!

This isn’t new, but I’ve wanted to mention it for awhile - some time back I bought one Echo Dot after seeing one at my sister’s house. It has quite good voice recognition and is nice for keeping grocery lists (when I think of something to add I can just call out to it), for timers, substitutes for a radio, also I often have it play soothing background sounds. It is also a nice way to ask some questions.

One feature is that the activation word can be changed from “Alexa” to “Computer.” As I grew up watching Star Trek, naturally I had to try it out. I remember watching Star Trek wishing I could talk to a computer like they did and get useful responses, now the wish is fulfilled. There are drawbacks: “computer” comes up fairly often especially in the stuff I watch, like computer build or technology videos on YouTube. It also twigs on some words that sound similar to “computer.”

Anyway, the amusing bit: I decided to watch an original Star Trek episode. Captain Kirk asked the computer a question and both the on screen computer and my Echo Dot answered back at the same time. I hadn’t been thinking about the Echo Dot, and I started laughing out loud. It really tickled me that my real world computing device was talking to Captain Kirk! It felt, as events sometimes do to me these days, like another weird merger of reality and fiction.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

There is tech podcast network that tries to avoid the qord Alexa to prevent all the listeners Echos going off.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Stolen from Twitter. (No link, the poster goes political a lot.)

"My 2nd grader has five zoom meeting a day. Five. At one point he said, 'I think this one could have been an email'. He's ready for the corporate world."
    Solfe

I used to work in an office with some wildly different people. One day, we had a fire drill and a bunch of guys who play video games got mixed up with our bi-lingual phone agents. Someone pointed out a flock of geese on the lawn and another person blurted out the words: "Cobra Chicken!"

I couldn't figure out if it was one of the foreign language staff or one of the gamers.
    Solfe

“Cobra Chicken” is an apt description for geese.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    “Cobra Chicken” is an apt description for geese.

Also "hissy crap factory".

Some animals' real names come from pretty much the same thing. Giraffes, for example, are "camel-leopards" in some languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Some animals' real names come from pretty much the same thing. Giraffes, for example, are "camel-leopards" in some languages.
    Camelopardalis is the constellation of th giraffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    When you say "pretty much the same thing," you mean "a combination of the name of two other animals" specifically?
    As above, so below

This discussion reminded me of this chart for animal names in German:

https://i1.wp.com/cms.babbel.news/wp...rip=none&ssl=1

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I didn’t think it was possible to make a sailboat so ugly. A sail canoe is better looking.
    I agree, I have not seen a scarier option!

During last night's search for Simon's paperwork, I just finally said to him, "It turns out you weren't born!"

Fortunately, we did find a scan of it . . . in Graham's military files.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Clever created a thread about shell theorem and asked the following question that got my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    If you are inside a spherical shell of highly condensed matter, would you be affected by tidal forces at all?
    I started to google about the question because I am not even sure if I understand the question. I stumbled on what seemed to be a scientific paper... in Comic Sans. I had to close the window and walk away. I'm done learning for today.

(There is this tiny, tiny portion of my brain that says "yes, you would" but it seems to be unsubstantiated by reality. The thought has a lot to do with a half dozen of spinning balls with a red and blue stripes and a yellow star on them. They seems to be classic Pixar balls. Cartoons seem remarkable unlike real life, so I am thinking this is the opposite of my answer, so "no, you wouldn't". My brain is a strange place to live.)
    Solfe

Someone is tweeting (since last month) under the guise of a fictional character I invented 22 years ago. (The content of the tweets makes it clear they're working from my text, rather than coincidentally assuming the same name.)
    At the moment I'm finding it mainly amusing, and somewhat of a vexation to the spirit. We'll see how it goes.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Someone is tweeting (since last month) under the guise of a fictional character I invented 22 years ago. (The content of the tweets makes it clear they're working from my text, rather than coincidentally assuming the same name.)
    At the moment I'm finding it mainly amusing, and somewhat of a vexation to the spirit. We'll see how it goes.

Grant Hutchison
    That sounds fun, do you have a link?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!