Page 354 of 361 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356 ... LastLast
Results 10,591 to 10,620 of 10824

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Let you on the joke yes I knew that guy he was a or so ahed of me at St. Mary's, we were friends and had took a class together.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm amused, in the days of exquisitely composed selfies, at how bad people are at setting up their videoconference calls. We're seeing a lot of journalists, politicians and pundits speaking from home these days, and I'd say that the majority of them are looking down at the screen, maybe 30 or 40 degrees below horizontal (double chin, unflattering nostril view) and sitting too close (balloon face, giant nose).
    Stick your laptop on top of a pile of books, guys. Sit back a bit.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I was amused on our daily walk to discuss beers with our farmer neighbour at a haystacks distance. He is used to , say, four pints of draught beer on a Sunday in the pub, but struggles to enjoy one of bottled alone. Since the pubs are closed, brewers have had to switch to bottled, which any real beer drinker will know to be quite different at all times. All those unemployed barrel makers! But coopers can turn their hand to other things, I’m sure.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    ... a haystacks distance ...
    Oooh, I like that phrase. Is it in common use, or your own coining? And does it refer to the distance between haystacks, or the width of a haystack?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oooh, I like that phrase. Is it in common use, or your own coining? And does it refer to the distance between haystacks, or the width of a haystack?

Grant Hutchison
    It’s my impression; we are in Norfolk. There are haystacks although bales have arrived, big rectangular ones. My calibration would be three bales to a haystack. If I stood on a haystack I could probably see the sea, but it would be a barn high to see the Urals. I do my walk with a swinging walking stick, it keeps larger animals off the fields, elephants and such. But smaller ones like several species of deer just glance and continue their treks toward the West. Actually I wish I Were better educated about crops in their early stages.
    When I ask, I always get a weary look, “thet’s Barley and over there's wheat. “ it was sugar beet last time, we grow a lot of that in Norfolk.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Haven't seen a haystack in these parts in decades--it's all cylindrical bales wrapped in plastic hereabouts. Sometimes the farmers stack them and paint amusing faces on the plastic, but it's just not the same.

Grant Hutchison

I've seen a bunch of memes from various nature-geek organizations and friends that are measuring social distancing in various units, including turkey vulture wingspans (1), hummingbirds (20 in a row), and garter snakes (3 in a row).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I am reminded, can’t say exactly why, of an encounter with a fisherman returning from the North sea, on a typical day with horizontal rain, on our shifting sands coastline.
    Me: Nice weather you chose”
    Fisherman “Aye, I’ll be glad when I’m sick of it.”

That's very Norfolk. Norwich, county town of Norfolk, for the education of youngsters, was once the second city of England, and isolated by marshes requiring a guide. Still independent in spirit.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've seen a bunch of memes from various nature-geek organizations and friends that are measuring social distancing in various units, including turkey vulture wingspans (1), hummingbirds (20 in a row), and garter snakes (3 in a row).
    That’s exotic to me, it’s years since I saw an Adder, hardly competes with Turkey Vultures. But we have Hares, I always think they bring luck and this is Hare boxing season. There has been comment about the dawn chorus, now audible thanks to less traffic, although as I key that in, a loud transport plane from the US airbase is roaring overhead. Social distance might be a Hare’s leap or prosaically two supermarket trolleys and a traffic cone.
    sicut vis videre esto

Haven't seen a haystack in these parts in decades--it's all cylindrical bales wrapped in plastic hereabouts. Sometimes the farmers stack them and paint amusing faces on the plastic, but it's just not the same.

Grant Hutchison
    Before doing float tanks, I toyed with making miniature rolled hay bales for small holders, (as I once was for a while) but it did not work out. I was inspired by the silly prices city folk pay for a bag of hay for hampsters and guinea pigs. But those continue.
    sicut vis videre esto

And of course xkcd is in on the act too:

6-Foot Zone

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    And of course xkcd is in on the act too:

6-Foot Zone
    Just you and eight horses!

And thanks to yesterday's comic, I now know what a bacteriophage is!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Just you and eight horses!

And thanks to yesterday's comic, I now know what a bacteriophage is!
    Slightly odd choice of cartoon "character", given that they (as the name suggests) primarily attack bacteria. (Some recent evidence of a role in human diseases, admittedly.) I guess it was the "sinister alien robot" look that attracted him.

Grant Hutchison

Slightly odd choice of cartoon "character", given that they (as the name suggests) primarily attack bacteria. (Some recent evidence of a role in human diseases, admittedly.) I guess it was the "sinister alien robot" look that attracted him.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, exactly the same occurred to me!

Someone was grumbling about how few people know what six feet look like--it's two yards. Any American who sews can tell you that!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Try getting them to understand two meters!
    Meanwhile, I got two texts from the dentist's office an hour apart. The first said my upcoming appointment was canceled; the second that I am overdue for an appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Someone was grumbling about how few people know what six feet look like--it's two yards. Any American who sews can tell you that!
    Sews? Two yards is 1/50th of a football field!
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Two yards is 72 inches, divided by one hamster (3") is 24 hamsters.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

A few inches over a smoot.
    Or, as a friend of mine recently remarked to a person who stood too close to him, "Do you know how close six feet is? Or would you like me to deck you so you can measure it for yourself?" (Long story.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Two yards is 72 inches, divided by one hamster (3") is 24 hamsters.
    For Top Gear fans 24 Richard Hammonds.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Sews? Two yards is 1/50th of a football field!
    I recall one annoyed coach lecturing his team "We gained one yard in the whole first half? I can get more than that falling down!"

A few inches over a smoot.
    Or, as a friend of mine recently remarked to a person who stood too close to him, "Do you know how close six feet is? Or would you like me to deck you so you can measure it for yourself?" (Long story.)

Grant Hutchison
    Would it be fair to say that you made a smoot point.

Would it be fair to say that you made a smoot point.

It certainly would have brought new meaning to the fine old phrase, "He measured his length on the floor."

Grant Hutchison

This year, the first of April coincides again with my usual day for blog posting, so today I put up the following topical offering:
    NEW GOVERNMENT SELF-ISOLATION ADVICE

As a means of improving the morale of the people of the United Kingdom in these difficult times, Her Majesty’s Government has identified an additional group of people we ask to enter voluntary self-isolation. To find out if you fall into this new and important category, please respond honestly to the questions below:

Have you, in the last two months, made any of the following statements, either verbally or in writing, under such circumstances that another person might be exposed to the content:

• It was all cooked up in a secret Chinese/American laboratory, you know
    • It rose quickly, it could go just as quickly
    • Gargling with bleach will stop you getting it
    • Rinsing your nostrils regularly with saline will stop you getting it
    • Sipping water every 15 minutes will stop you getting it
    • Rubbing your body with alcohol will stop you getting it
    • Vitamin C / garlic / essential oils /colloidal silver will stop you getting it
    • Hot-air hand dryers will sterilize your hands and stop you getting it
    • Hot baths will destroy the virus in your body and stop you getting it
    • I certainly wouldn’t risk Chinese food at present
    • I certainly wouldn’t risk Corona beer at present

If you have answered “yes” to any of these questions, the Government advises you to enter a period of self-isolation for six months, in the first instance, and subject to review at the end of that period. For the purposes of this advice, “self-isolation” includes a complete cessation of all social media activity, and the use of email and text messaging strictly for business or emergency purposes only.

Because, frankly, people have enough to put up with at present without being exposed to your nonsense, too.
    Well, it amuses me.

Grant Hutchison

I discovered yesterday for an article I was writing that the Great Spaghetti Harvest is on YouTube.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

This year, the first of April coincides again with my usual day for blog posting, so today I put up the following topical offering:Well, it amuses me.

Grant Hutchison

And folks, remember he is a physician, so he knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I discovered yesterday for an article I was writing that the Great Spaghetti Harvest is on YouTube.
    LINK

That time of the month again...

https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.14345
    Searching for Space Vampires with TEvSS
    Maximilian N. Günther, David A. Berardo
    (Submitted on 31 Mar 2020)
    It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single human in possession of a good space telescope, must be in search of a space vampire. Here, we showcase our search for transit signatures of tidally locked space vampires, trapped in the gravitational pull of late M-dwarfs. We generate forward models representing two potential space vampire populations - those in bat shape and those in humanoid shape. We search lightcurves from the Transiting Exo-Vampire Survey Satellite (TEvSS) using a template matching algorithm and fit them using our allesfitter software. Adding the information gained from TEvSS data, we greatly decrease the uncertainty for the existence and occurrence rates of space vampires, and constrain eta(space vampire) to a range of 0% to 100% (or more). These precise analyses will be crucial for optimizing future observing schedules for space-vampire characterization with the James Webb Space-Vampire Telescope (JWSvT) and the Extremely-Large-Vampire Telescopes (ELvTs).
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I wish people would stop spreading this article, I don't need any telescopes looking for me.

Grant Hutchison
    There's a been a thing here where people put teddy bears in their windows for people walking around (with distance!) to find. This was in the news:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/120...t-hard-to-hunt
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.