Page 339 of 340 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340 LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,170 of 10184

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Did you notice that the study suggesting the change was done in Australia, at the University of Queensland?
    Unless I'm mistaken, the study did not suggest the change. The study suggested that there is some dehumanizing thought directed at cyclists*, but the idea that changing the word might have an effect was nothing more than a statement made by one of the authors of the study.

*I didn't even see, at least from the articles I've read, where there was any comparison made to other identifiable groups. Are cyclists, as a group, "dehumanized" to a significantly greater extent than other groups, or other people in general? I have no idea.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

We are having a group of relatives of my wife over for a lunch tomorrow. The get together is mainly to discuss arrangements for their family re-union in Berlin next year. But as it will be the last time we see any of them until next year my wife decided to put up some Christmas decorations on the patio.

One of them was a brand new banner saying "Merry Christmas", or so we thought. After we put it up we realised that it actually says "Merry Christas". It was bought from a shop that was closing down with big reductions on the prices of their stock - I guess we know why now. It will, of course, remain a treasured decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the study did not suggest the change. The study suggested that there is some dehumanizing thought directed at cyclists*, but the idea that changing the word might have an effect was nothing more than a statement made by one of the authors of the study.

*I didn't even see, at least from the articles I've read, where there was any comparison made to other identifiable groups. Are cyclists, as a group, "dehumanized" to a significantly greater extent than other groups, or other people in general? I have no idea.
    I call the 99,999 people who seem to have their stuff together on a bicycle "cyclists". That one guy that think's he's Mad Max on a rocket scooter gets a special name.

I think I related a story about some poor guy in the rain and sleet on a bike. I drove my car at a ridiculously slow speed behind him, with plenty of space to stop, because it looked like he was having a rough time. Queue the nut on a bicycle that over took me on the left then cut me off. He wiped out to avoid the cyclist in front of me. Extra points for buying a bike with post mounted brakes, then cutting those posts off to save weight and have NO BRAKES. He screamed all kind so garbage at me, not the guy on the bike that forced him to crash.

It isn't the mode of transportation that labels the person. It's the mode of operation. The name "Cyclist" isn't really a problem.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    We are having a group of relatives of my wife over for a lunch tomorrow. The get together is mainly to discuss arrangements for their family re-union in Berlin next year. But as it will be the last time we see any of them until next year my wife decided to put up some Christmas decorations on the patio.

One of them was a brand new banner saying "Merry Christmas", or so we thought. After we put it up we realised that it actually says "Merry Christas". It was bought from a shop that was closing down with big reductions on the prices of their stock - I guess we know why now. It will, of course, remain a treasured decoration.

Does one pronounce that as "Christ-as" or "Chris-tas"?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Does one pronounce that as "Christ-as" or "Chris-tas"?
    I am in the Chris-tas group. The amusing thing is that, like us initially, no-one really noticed the missing 'm', as everyone just glanced at the banner and saw what they expected to see.

Today's Pearls Before Swine. I'm with Pig on this one.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Someone remarked that he reconsidered how much he stared at his phone by reframing the concept.

"Imagine you have a personal assistant who scanned every thing you looked at on your phone--every e-mail, every text, every tweet. Everything. Then he printed out the contents and bound them in a cover like a book. Now he hands you that book--how many pages does it have? And he tells you that you have to read every word in this book before you can go to bed, because tomorrow you'll have another book to get through."

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Someone remarked that he reconsidered how much he stared at his phone by reframing the concept.

"Imagine you have a personal assistant who scanned every thing you looked at on your phone--every e-mail, every text, every tweet. Everything. Then he printed out the contents and bound them in a cover like a book. Now he hands you that book--how many pages does it have? And he tells you that you have to read every word in this book before you can go to bed, because tomorrow you'll have another book to get through."
    Is that supposed to make me feel bad about myself for wasting time, or proud of myself for reading a book every day?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Is that supposed to make me feel bad about myself for wasting time, or proud of myself for reading a book every day?
    Makes me wish I had an assistant I could tell to bugger off.

Yeah, I don't stare much at my phone because I have a flip phone. But I keep my appointment calendar on my computer--whereas most people I know keep theirs on their phone. I use the internet to communicate, which is another thing most people do on their phones. "I stare at my phone all day" is not necessarily a bad thing!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Not one of my students, but I saw a kid get in trouble, serious trouble, on a school bus today. He tried to call an Uber to escape. The Uber got there before the police, but refused to drive a kid anywhere.

Never seen that one before.
    Solfe

I just don't see how employing a PA to bind two paragraphs into a book, on alternate weeks, would be economically viable.

Grant Hutchison

I absolutely have this problem and I think it is something like a mental addiction.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I'm not actually sure how amusing this is.

Yesterday, on our way home, my wife said "Look, there's a motor home towing a pretty large travel trailer, parked along the road."
    I looked, and told her I had seen the same rig in a different location for several days last week.
    Yesterday being Wednesday, the local weekly was in our mail box when we got home.
    I always read the police and sheriff reports. In the police report was one about them being called due to an RV being parked on private property in a particular block of a certain road. Hmm. I checked Google maps and yup, that's where I had seen that combo. So they'd been run off and went elsewhere.
    Today my wife had a hair appointment. On the way in, we saw the same rig back in the location I saw it the first time. My wife told her hairdresser about it. The hairdresser, just this morning, had seen it at the second location. Along with two Sheriff's cars with flashing lights.

Stuff I don't get: Why would they go back to the same highly visible location they already got run out of?

We have a camper in our backfield, but we know who it is, it is the sister and the BIL.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/...08592854798336
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm watching Wall-e with the kids today. We've seen this movie a zillion times, it's a huge favorite in our house, but today we noticed something funny that we missed before. They build giant space ships with artificial gravity, then to support people who can't walk in normal gravity, built gravity defying chairs for them.

I honestly don't think that is a mistake or some sort of logic hole. I want to believe that the writers were going for that total abuse of logic which caused all the problems in the first place. "We can go more and bigger to solve every problem. We'll over-engineer our way out of this!"
    Solfe

My coffee pot has a clock and a very short cord. I accidentally unplugged it and had to reset the clock. Of course, I pushed the button one too many times and had to keep pressing to get to the number I needed.

I thought to myself: "If only I could just TELL the clock what time it is..." and then remember exactly how well my phone and Google Home work. It's better to press buttons or have a keypad.

One of the funnier moments with the Google Home was asking for the temperature. It will happily tell me the temperature outside. However, when my son Nate asks for the same information, it reads him the opening paragraph from Wikipedia about temperature. Somehow, he fixed it but that was a lot like playing with an electronic ouija board.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I'm watching Wall-e with the kids today. We've seen this movie a zillion times, it's a huge favorite in our house, but today we noticed something funny that we missed before. They build giant space ships with artificial gravity, then to support people who can't walk in normal gravity, built gravity defying chairs for them.

I honestly don't think that is a mistake or some sort of logic hole. I want to believe that the writers were going for that total abuse of logic which caused all the problems in the first place. "We can go more and bigger to solve every problem. We'll over-engineer our way out of this!"
    Well, how do you know the chairs weren't magnetic or some other force?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Well, how do you know the chairs weren't magnetic or some other force?
    I don't know. I am kind of disappointed that they didn't use a hovercraft-like skirt, because that would be the weirdest thing you could do.
    Solfe

I had a strange though. When the forum goes down, is the The Last and Final Argument About Reality thread still there?
    Solfe

Yesterday, I decided to try the kids' app on the Fire TV someone had given me. And . . . it froze there. I went through two customer service reps, one of whom was dealing with his supervisor the whole time, and neither of them could fix it. Unplugging didn't work. It wouldn't do a factory reset. Eventually, the guy threw up his hands and offered to send me a new one. I have to send the one I was given back, but still. It wasn't under warranty anymore, and I'd gotten it for free in the first place, but their app broke it, so I guess they felt it was their responsibility to replace it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

My wife found, deep in a cupboard, my old Customs uniform peaked hat from about the late 1970's and at least 2 changes of uniform before I retired. I went to put it on and apparently my head has doubled in size since I last wore it in the early 1990's.

OK, I know that the hat should have been 'blocked' or similar to keep its shape but I felt like I was trying to put on a child's hat. Given my almost complete loss of hair since I was given it I feel like it should just slide on. Instead it sits on my head like the Derby (?) hat of Wimpy from the old Popeye comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    My wife found, deep in a cupboard, my old Customs uniform peaked hat from about the late 1970's and at least 2 changes of uniform before I retired. I went to put it on and apparently my head has doubled in size since I last wore it in the early 1990's.

OK, I know that the hat should have been 'blocked' or similar to keep its shape but I felt like I was trying to put on a child's hat. Given my almost complete loss of hair since I was given it I feel like it should just slide on. Instead it sits on my head like the Derby (?) hat of Wimpy from the old Popeye comics.
    That's how THEY wanted you to look back then.

I just saw the phrase "far right furry forum" on an internet forum. This one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's how THEY wanted you to look back then.
    I certainly never looked elegant, but it did at least fit around my head then rather than perching on top. The last uniform hat I received was a really nice felt Akubra one which was stolen by some @#$@ in the office. It was a great hat for sun protection and would have lasted for years - and probably did for whoever half-inched it. Similar to this but blue- https://akubra.com.au/collections/ha...cattleman-bran

I just got up after dreaming the most brilliant invention! The BVR -- Butter Video Recorder! It records video on pats of butter. Once I figure out the details I'll be rich. The main thing to work out is it was hard to write the titles on them.

The new seasons of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (trivial thing that bugs me: Netflix has canceled it) claim to have a "liquid storage medium" for their video.

"You can't erase icing."

We watched "The Rescuers" on Disney+ the other night. The info screen before starting the movie warned us that it contained "tobacco depictions."

However, the much more prevalent alcohol (moonshine, specifically) and gunplay depictions were apparently unworthy of a mention.

[wakes up at 6:30 with the "I don't think I'll get more sleep" feeling]

Me: "Oh, come on, body--it's not even a school day. You can get at least another hour of sleep!"

[goes back to sleep; wakes up at 7:30]

"You can't erase icing."

The one cat has me trained. And herself trained.

A little before 8:00 AM she comes and meows at me in the office then leads me into the bedroom where she gets groomed. Often she'll do that again a little later.

3:00 is time for our nap. If I'm in the office, she'll come and meow at me again. 6:00 is time for canned treat. Same thing.

But she's gotten so in the habit of going in for grooming she'll lead me in there even when it's not what she's really after.