Page 356 of 361 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,680 of 10824

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Look, I don't want to say that the crossword puzzle program I use every day is easy, but it did just inform me that "revamp," one of today's words, was an anagram of "vamper," which is not in point of fact a word. In addition to giving me a regular clue for it.
    It used to be a word for cobbler, IIRC
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Well another old word! The top of a shoe which a cobbler can replace or revamp. But now we cobble things together without thinking of shoes, and cobblers means rubbish, at least here in UK, while a vamp is a seductive woman but revamp is to make new again. Strange how evolution works.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Well another old word! The top of a shoe which a cobbler can replace or revamp. But now we cobble things together without thinking of shoes, and cobblers means rubbish, at least here in UK, while a vamp is a seductive woman but revamp is to make new again. Strange how evolution works.
    Vamp relating to seduction probably is derived from Vampire, rather than shoemaking. Just a guess.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Haven't run into that one, though I know that the vamp is the front part of a shoe.
    In these parts, a vamper-upper is someone who vamps things up--that is, repairs, revamps or refurbishes them. Maybe there's a relationship to cobblers in there somewhere.

Grant Hutchison

Speaking of crosswords, I was doing one in which the clue was "moose or elk". Five letters.

The answer was "deers".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

With regard to vamper, there's also that musical space-filling business of vamping--cycling through a few chords while you wait for something to happen, or for lack of a better idea. It gave rise to a book with the splendid title Interview With A Vamper, which is about playing dance music.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    With regard to vamper, there's also that musical space-filling business of vamping--cycling through a few chords while you wait for something to happen, or for lack of a better idea. It gave rise to a book with the splendid title Interview With A Vamper, which is about playing dance music.

Grant Hutchison
    Oh yes forgot that one, I wonder if cobblers were prone to be creative with their revamps, so that the idea of mix and mend needed a name and to cobble and to vamp both struggled for attention. In music we also say Vamp it up, meaning add some variations, or even jazz it up.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Breast or statuary?
    Funny you should say that in this particular line of conversation. I mentioned that old Children's Hospital was well past it's prime. They were purchasing homes on the block to use as offices space, via zoning loopholes. One of the effects of that was aggression towards their neighbors and the public in general. Not small things either, but at various points profoundly hostile. Hostile to the point of claiming to own the street and sideways in front of neighbor's houses, then placing no-smoking and no trespassing signs in such a way as to seem to indicate a private person's house or business was the owner of the sign. People and businesses asked for them to be removed, but they would not since they were on the edge of hospital property. Several businesses put up signs informing people when they had crossed on to private property and they were welcome to be there.

In any event, back to:

Breast or statuary?
    The hostility ramped up to an unbelievable level when the hospital plastered signs all around an apartment complex indicating that loiters would be prosecuted. It wasn't their property and the real owner couldn't get the signs removed. In retaliation, he installed a 12 foot tall statue of people... or angels... or demons... doing stuff to each other. It was positioned in such a way that made it look like the statue was owned by the hospital. The hospital has moved, but the statue remains as a reminder.
    Solfe

Tonight there is big last winter storm of the season thing outside and I have not seen a snowplow on the road yet.

And today I went to do a couple things including going the grocery store, for the first time in a long time I remember to take in the reusable bags. When I got to the door the security guard at the door told me I couldn't bring them in, so back to the car with the bags.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    .... When I got to the door the security guard at the door told me I couldn't bring them in, so back to the car with the bags.
    This one's causing me angst.

We have the same rule here now, to stop people packing at the checkout - it's faster (for the shop) to make people go out and pack at their car.

But I'm walking to the supermarket now, I have no (insured) car to take, and leave my bags in. If the security guard enforces the rule without understanding what the rule is for, I could have an issue!

So far I've been wearing my big jacket, and stuffing my bags in its deep pockets. Luck is holding ... but it's limiting how much I can buy per trip. (And they say not to make many small trips!)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Got gas 1 mile from my home for $1.309 per gallon, regular, cash/debit.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Got gas 1 mile from my home for $1.309 per gallon, regular, cash/debit.
    A friend of my wife recently posted that her car is currently getting about 3 weeks per gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    This one's causing me angst.

We have the same rule here now, to stop people packing at the checkout - it's faster (for the shop) to make people go out and pack at their car.

But I'm walking to the supermarket now, I have no (insured) car to take, and leave my bags in. If the security guard enforces the rule without understanding what the rule is for, I could have an issue!

So far I've been wearing my big jacket, and stuffing my bags in its deep pockets. Luck is holding ... but it's limiting how much I can buy per trip. (And they say not to make many small trips!)
    Most of the stuff I got was already in large bottles so it only took a few bags. What really took some adjusting was there were arrows to try to tell you which direction to go and the plexiglass everywhere.

A few months ago I picked a picnic kit, that has a few plastic plates and stuff for a picnic for four, I figured with all the travelling for sports somebody my find it handy but I don't think so now.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Many places in the US have (temporarily) banned reusable bags, but it's because they're unsanitary.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Many places in the US have (temporarily) banned reusable bags, but it's because they're unsanitary.
    Didn’t the just ban disposable bags?
    Maybe we have the makings of a conspiracy theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I don't understand that reason. The only one touching a reusable bag is you, isn't it?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

That's part of why I worry. The advertised reason here is to speed checkout, but if the security guard thinks it's about hygiene (or just doesn't think at all and simply wants to enforce the order) I won't just be able to say "I promise not to pack at the checkout".

(My option would be to buy new reusable bags each time I shop, which'll add $2.00 to my grocery bill per week of the lock-down. Not actually a hardship I guess.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Once and while lately I think. how is Sheldon Cooper doing during the Pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    I don't understand that reason. The only one touching a reusable bag is you, isn't it?
    I believe the idea is that you're transferring whatever's on the bag onto surfaces it touches. We wash ours regularly, but not everyone does.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Plastic bags were outlawed in my town eight or ten years ago, and they even required stores to charge a nickel for a paper one; all to encourage reusables. Now plastic is back.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

We never solve one problem but another appears.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I believe the idea is that you're transferring whatever's on the bag onto surfaces it touches. We wash ours regularly, but not everyone does.
    Reading around this, I was intrigued to see that this is being driven (in part, I can't mention another part) by check-out workers' anxieties about handling reusable bags. In my part of the world, no-one handles reusable bags except the owners of the bags, nor would anyone be particularly keen to have their bags packed by someone else. There's of course an anxiety about the footprint of the bag when it's rested on a surface for packing, but I have to say I'd have a greater anxiety about pulling a disposable bag off a roll someone else has handled. Given the current infrequency of grocery shopping, my reusable bags just sit on the floor for several days between expeditions, and even if unwashed would almost certainly contain not a single viable virion by the time they go out again; whereas pulling a disposable bag off a roll exposes me to the fresh handprints of whoever was there last, perhaps minutes previously.

Grant Hutchison

Same here in the Netherlands. The idea that someone else would touch my groceries after I paid for them is just odd, always has been. Paper bags filled with groceries have never been popular here, not that I can remember, not regularly anyway.

The only thing I'm somewhat worried about now are the handles of the shopping cart or basket (usage mandatory now in several supermarket as it helps maintain distance), but most stores now have someone cleaning the handles and handing you a cleaned cart on entry.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Bringing this thread back to topic...

The Wife and I ventured out yesterday afternoon to do some grocery shopping. As we came home, we noticed a couple taking a selfie or two at "The Ladybug Rock", a boulder painted to cartoonishly resemble a ladybug/ladybird beetle. It's been a neighborhood landmark longer than we've lived here. I thought it was odd and inappropriate that people would be doing such a touristy thing during the Current Unpleasantness but it turned out they were locals up to a bit of lighthearted mischief. They had put a mask on the rock and posted the photos to our community Facebook group:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lady Bug Rock.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	25116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ladybug Rock 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	25117
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2020-Apr-11 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Additional photo
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Same here in the Netherlands. The idea that someone else would touch my groceries after I paid for them is just odd, always has been. Paper bags filled with groceries have never been popular here, not that I can remember, not regularly anyway.

The only thing I'm somewhat worried about now are the handles of the shopping cart or basket (usage mandatory now in several supermarket as it helps maintain distance), but most stores now have someone cleaning the handles and handing you a cleaned cart on entry.
    I think everyone needs to operate on the assumption that a grocery trip will contaminate their hands, and they will be bringing contaminated objects back into their home. We all need to establish routines to deal with that, rather than fretting about a small number of specifics. There are all sorts of reasons that bagging areas are going to contamination hot-spots, and reusable bags are only a small aspect of that.
    But, certainly, we need to protect the people who work in these locations, and I always make a point of thanking them for their work whenever I see them.

Grant Hutchison

Typically here (California) stores have some self service islands (usually I use them if I don’t have a lot of items and no alcohol, which I usually don’t) and a limited number of ones run by cashiers.

Payment is only made after the cashiers bag everything. Locally there is a 10 cent cost per bag, plastic or paper. The plastic bags are fairly tough and are meant to be reusable on their own. Some cities and counties have banned plastic altogether, but temporarily rescinded it during the pandemic. I like cashiers bagging because they are better and faster than I am, and it is less work for me. Usually if I go to a store, I buy quite a bit, and that has been especially true for the pandemic stock-up.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I have strong opinions about the way stuff gets bagged, and I can bag as fast as they can scan. (And no-one is going to do my bagging for me anyway.)

On the "amusing" front: During the Current Unpleasantness, a lot of children are painting rainbows to display in house windows, or chalking rainbows on the street. There's generally a much higher awareness of correct rainbow colour order on display than there ever was when I was a kid. I was amused today by an award-winning colour depiction, ruined at the last moment by putting the sun in the wrong place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rainbow.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	511.9 KB 
ID:	25118

Grant Hutchison

Awww... I say, give them a pass, you can’t really expect someone at that age to know the physics of rainbows and sun angles.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Gas is now $1.299 per gallon, and my car's tank is already filled with gas at $1.309 per gallon, and I am woebegone. I could have saved $0.01 per gallon! Dang it.

Oops, should have put this in the angst thread.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Apr-11 at 05:20 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom