Page 383 of 385 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383384385 LastLast
Results 11,461 to 11,490 of 11544

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

About a year ago, my sister asked me to review a parts list that her son had come up with to build his own computer, because she knew that I had built a few myself before (although I have dropped that idea since then). His goal was primarily "gaming".

Part of my response was that I could see that he hadn't fallen for the usual trap of "gaming" computer parts, which was to take the same electronics an ordinary computer might have, stick them in a chassis that looks like Skeletor's version of a Minbari war cruiser, and charge an extra $120.

I wondered later whether she had shown that to my nephew. She probably wouldn't have known about the Minbari or their ships, and he probably wouldn't have known about either them or Skeletor.

Heh. I have all of B5 on DVD. I’ve been building PCs for 20 years. I took a break and I bought one prebuilt in 1995, it was the most expensive computer I ever bought before or since, and my least favorite (not counting laptops) so I’ve always built since. From a construction standpoint, very little has changed aside from details. Anyway, it has been long enough that I’m thinking of building another before too long. I’m looking into what’s changed since my last build. Aside from solid state drives reduced to PC boards that plug into the motherboard there isn’t much - sure things are faster, and a big surprise, AMD looks like a better choice than Intel for a high end machine, but that’s about it in terms of important design choices.

But when I looked at cases, wires and fans, almost every case I found has a window, almost all the fans and wires have LEDs so you can see junk lit up and moving inside. Last time I built one that was specialty stuff for gamers and most people I knew thought it was a bit silly. Now it seems hard to avoid it, at least for build it yourself hardware. When I get around to building, it won’t have a window.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Jan-19 at 11:18 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    She probably wouldn't have known about the Minbari or their ships, and he probably wouldn't have known about either them or Skeletor.
    There was a re-booted He-Man series in the early 2000s, it's since become a source of memes. So Skeletor may not be entirely unknown to some younger individuals.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I have all of B5 on DVD...

...almost every case I found has a window, almost all the fans and wires have LEDs so you can see junk lit up and moving inside.
    Ah yes, the "First Ones of Sigma 9-5-7" style

I was trying to get Simon up for school just now. His dresser is right next to the doorway, so I was tossing clean clothes at him. "Here's pants . . . here's a shirt." The cat walked past me toward his bed. "Here's a cat."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ouch!

Off the subject of pets, sort of: Our lovely niece may visit tomorrow. My wife asked me to have Rosie the Roomba vacuum. Rosie is always happy to do so. And always manages to turn her charging station around so she can't get to it. So I tried to help her to it. And finally had to get down on the floor to do so. It took me about five minutes to get back up. I'm getting so darn tired of being old; and it's not going to get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Heh. Rosie as in the Jetsons’ Rosie the Robot?
    Exactly! My wife is to blame!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Have visited; can confirm.
    Moved from the non-trivial thread, where it was increasingly off-topic.
    While picking up before my niece came, I discovered a little brush. After a moment, I realized it came from Rosie. Then I found another, and then the third! No wonder she was off her feed, all three arms of the little spinny brush had broken off. But we had a spare so so I replaced it and cleaned the rollers. I'm sure she's feeling much better now.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Iíve had a single $20 bill in my wallet since March 2020. Due to the pandemic, I have completely avoided handling cash since then.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I have mentioned previously, possibly boring some, about the multicultural nature of Australia. Last night we went to a BBQ at my brothers house for Australia Day - our 'National Day'. It proved my point in a rather excessive way though I do think my sister-in-law was having a bit of fun with the invites.

There were 14 people there - allowed under our Covid - 19 restrictions. At the party there were 5 Japanese Nationals - a couple on a long term 'Student Visa' and their two kids plus another on the same visa type. Then there were 4 UK born - 3 Australian Citizens and one NZ citizen. There were only 3 Australian born people. My wife is a Singapore born Australian citizen. Finally, there was 1 USA born permanent resident who is planning to be naturalised later this year.

Moved from the non-trivial thread, where it was increasingly off-topic.
    While picking up before my niece came, I discovered a little brush. After a moment, I realized it came from Rosie. Then I found another, and then the third! No wonder she was off her feed, all three arms of the little spinny brush had broken off. But we had a spare so so I replaced it and cleaned the rollers. I'm sure she's feeling much better now.
    Courtesy Cracked.Com, 5 Bizarre Truths About Being a Roomba Owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I have mentioned previously, possibly boring some, about the multicultural nature of Australia. Last night we went to a BBQ at my brothers house for Australia Day - our 'National Day'. It proved my point in a rather excessive way though I do think my sister-in-law was having a bit of fun with the invites.

There were 14 people there - allowed under our Covid - 19 restrictions. At the party there were 5 Japanese Nationals - a couple on a long term 'Student Visa' and their two kids plus another on the same visa type. Then there were 4 UK born - 3 Australian Citizens and one NZ citizen. There were only 3 Australian born people. My wife is a Singapore born Australian citizen. Finally, there was 1 USA born permanent resident who is planning to be naturalised later this year.
    When I was a kid, Australia would actually pay Americans to immigrate!

When I was a kid, Australia would actually pay Americans to immigrate!
    I have neve heard of this before in regards to the US. There were a number of "Assisted Passage" schemes for other countries. I assume they were chasing some people with 'special skills'.

The American woman I met at the party had the special skill of being excellent at brewing beer in her garage! She actually came on a 'partner' visa having married an Australian.

I'll have to look it up. I heard about it in elementary school, so mid-1950's.

My son has the oddest sense of humor. He bought a design your own phone case. There is a picture of a guy in suit on it. The case has a hole for the camera lined up perfectly with the guy's face. I asked, "Who is that?"

He replied: "Chris Hansen. <beat> Why don't you have a seat?"
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My son has the oddest sense of humor. He bought a design your own phone case. There is a picture of a guy in suit on it. The case has a hole for the camera lined up perfectly with the guy's face. I asked, "Who is that?"

He replied: "Chris Hansen. <beat> Why don't you have a seat?"
    Stuff that bugs me: I have no idea what refers to me. Off to Google, I guess!

I've spent most of my adult life bald or pretty close to it. Now my last buzz was about a year & a half ago, and it's long enough to make a pony-stump, but I don't have a holder to hold it. It occasionally still comes with strange new experiences, like bending over to pick something up and getting hair all around my ears & face.

What is a pony-stump?

One of the few places we go is to my wife's hairdresser, who is being very cautious. About every six months she gives me a trim as well.

Off-topic: I've been bald most of my adult life as well, but somehow it still kind of surprises me when I look in a mirror!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    What is a pony-stump?
    Like a pony-tail, only shorter. Or so it seems to me.

Grant Hutchison

I made up "pony-stump" thinking it would be obvious that it must be a very short ponytail. If I gather mine in a hand, it feels like the part extending beyond that hand is only about 4". That's not enough to hang like a normal ponytail would hang; at that length it still poofs out almost as much as it hangs down. I'm just amused by the idea that I can even do any such thing at all.

And I just looked at it in a mirror partway through writing that, which is another new thing I couldn't ever do before: see the back of my hair in a single mirror. I was seriously expecting the stump to only be about 2", like when I first noticed that it could be gathered at all.

Maybe it's like a "samurai bun"?
    As above, so below

The genealogy website that has my information informs me of birthdays of relatives as far out as about first cousin once removed. Even if, as today, it's something I'm not going to forget. Like Irene's birthday. I can't remember if it told me about my own.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Where can I sign up for the Australian military? Because this looks lovely! It even has Vegemite in it, and I'm almost out! Couple of conditions:
    I need to stay on the shores of Discovery Bay to look after my wife.
    I'm over 70 and overweight.
    With other health conditions.
    Otherwise, Ozzies, I'm here for you! Just send me some rations!

Where can I sign up for the Australian military? Because this looks lovely! It even has Vegemite in it, and I'm almost out! Couple of conditions:
    I can have the latest MRE version delivered to my house for around US$37 each so for a small consideration they are yours!

As for your Vegemite, here are some people who will send you a "Care Package" of Aussie foods.

https://theaustralianfoodshop.com/pr...care-packages/

I've watched a few of that fellow's MRE videos; they are pretty funny. I don't remember a lot of them that he absolutely hated.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I can have the latest MRE version delivered to my house for around US$37 each so for a small consideration they are yours!

As for your Vegemite, here are some people who will send you a "Care Package" of Aussie foods.

https://theaustralianfoodshop.com/pr...care-packages/
    Unfortunately, it appears that nearly everything in the care packages is bad for me! I can, however, get Vegemite from Amazon because of course I can!

Well, heck, why would I join the Australian Army when Canada is just 30 miles away! At least the breakfast and lunch looked great.

I love how when Steve sees a package that says "Pain, Hamburger", he says "PainHamburger". Or if "Coffee, Instant, Type 2" it's "CoffeeInstantType2" or just "CoffeeInstant'.

Which reminds me, in my town there's a bakery called "Pane D'Amore". Which my brain insists on interpreting as "Pain of Love".
    "D'Amore" was the founder's surname. Unfortunately he passed away a while back.

Which reminds me, in my town there's a bakery called "Pane D'Amore". Which my brain insists on interpreting as "Pain of Love".
    "D'Amore" was the founder's surname. Unfortunately he passed away a while back.
    "Pain of love" sounds like a very French turn of phrase. Also, accurate.

A man was charged here today with several burglary offences. During one of these offences he was apparently clearly caught on CCTV. This piece of evidence which enabled the police to identify him has now, very ungratefully, been used to charge him with not wearing a mask while outside his home.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Feb-06 at 01:20 PM.

Going with the really trivial theme, I watched Batman: Hush (animated movie) and noticed a couple of inside jokes: Poison Ivy was found at the Triffid building and Catwoman had a pet cat named “Eartha.” A black cat, naturally. By the way, better than average movie if you like Batman stories but not the best.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A man was charged here today with several burglary offences. During one of these offences he was apparently clearly caught on CCTV. This piece of evidence which enabled the police to identify him has now, very ungratefully, been used to charge him with not wearing a mask while outside his home.
    That really amuses me.

The mountain weather has been pretty Arctic in these parts for a week or so. We've had a steady trickle of ill-equipped walkers calling out the Mountain Rescue after getting into difficulty, which is a regular annoyance in the Scottish Highlands every winter. The difference this year is that, once they're safely down, many of these groups have been met by the police and given on-the-spot fines for breaching the current Covid lockdown travel restrictions.

Grant Hutchison