Page 400 of 408 FirstFirst ... 300350390398399400401402 ... LastLast
Results 11,971 to 12,000 of 12224

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

It amuses me that the Amazing Technology thread has devolved into discussing fantasy dragons.

"I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

*realistic fantasy dragons...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I have to say I wasn't terribly amused by last night's fireworks--we're outside everyone's city limits, so fireworks are technically legal here--but I was definitely amused by Sandy's reaction. She was "so excited!"

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I grew up in a city where most fireworks were illegal. A few people in the neighborhood would get a few things that I presume must have been legal because they were so unimpressive. Sometimes the next morning I'd find a few plastic sticks in my yard, a bit over a foot long I think, with a roughly-crayon-sized cylinder at one end of the stick, so I guess that was from something that flew at least a couple of yard-lengths, but if you wanted to see & hear real fireworks, you had to go to a professional show. Where I live now, people can easily buy & set off the real things at home. The individual devices might not be as impressive as what the pros can use, but they're much closer, they're all around, and they're something people participate in instead of just watching.

And the hospitals always know what to do that time of the year.

Fireworks are illegal in the Municipality of Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula Borough to the south, and the Matanuska-Susitna Borough to the north. An exception to the latter, is the city of Houston, which allows personal fireworks on private property.

So of course, Houston is where you'll find a giant inflatable gorilla, a homemade Batmobile, and a big honkin' fireworks stand, all in one place:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gorilla Fireworks.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	26290

We live out in the bucolic suburbs, so every New Year's Day and the 4th of July, scofflaws far and wide put on a widely distributed fireworks show. Aerial displays aren't impressive on the 4th, since there's no darkness to speak of in the summer, so it's mainly things that go bang. However, the winter displays can be pretty impressive for non-professional fireworks and with no leaves on the trees, we can even see them in Wasilla, across the Knik Arm. There are so many people setting them off, the police don't usually bother responding to reports (except in serious cases) because if they tried, that's all they would do.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    So of course, Houston is where you'll find a giant inflatable gorilla, a homemade Batmobile, and a big honkin' fireworks stand, all in one place:.
    And an old firetruck, just in case...

Oh, yeah. That and a few more. They have (or had) a VW 'Batbug', a VW hippy van, a double-decker bus, and who know what else.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Fireworks have been banned in Western Australia since about 1970. We do however have, pre Covid of course, on occasion the largest fireworks display in Australia. It is on Australia Day - Jan 26.

From about 8km away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fireworks.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	530.5 KB 
ID:	26291
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jul-06 at 02:51 AM.

A 24-year old National Hockey League prospect died in a fireworks mishandling.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ragic-accident

I saw recently that the County authorities...somewhere...posted a tweet reminding people that there is no fireworks ordinance in the County, so people don't need to call in asking about getting permits. They then added that if people felt more comfortable with a permit, they could make their own, following the attached example. The attachment was this meme:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1c1.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	26294  
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It amuses me that threads on the Pentagon UFO paper is in both the Universe Today and Conspiracy Theory fora.
    That amuses me as well, and now I have to go look

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    A 24-year old National Hockey League prospect died in a fireworks mishandling.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ragic-accident
    I told the kids this week that their aunt knew someone in high school who blew off a few fingers with a cherry bomb. I don't think they fully processed that, though it's a story I'll keep telling them until they do understand it. They need to learn to be careful.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

When I was young, we lived in places that had firecrackers and I was taught to light them safely and told I wouldn’t be allowed to any more if I wasn’t careful. I never had a problem.

I never have seen a cherry bomb though. They weren’t legal where I lived, and I had been told they were bad news.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

This amused me - there is an interesting article in Ars Technica about various spiders that eat (usually small) snakes and their capture strategies. I read it through then hit the comments and the first dozen or so were from people who couldn’t read it or look at the pictures because of fear of spiders and/or snakes. Honestly, I hadn’t even thought about that, I just was curious how spiders managed that.

Article here if curious:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...it/?comments=1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A large amount of fireworks related accidents are due to fireworks that don't go off on the first try. Either people walk up to them to see what's going on and they go off in their faces, or they try to light them again and they go off in their faces.

If you light fireworks and it doesn't work, wait a while and throw water over it, preferably from a distance with a hose. Yes, even when it was a really expensive one and all looks well and it probably just was a wet tip of the wick. Also, CLEAN UP your fireworks after you're done so someone else doesn't try stupid stuff with the remainders.

Or even better: just don't shoot your money into the sky and do other stuff.

for post that used to be here, see here

Trivial stuff that amuses me: after today's Windows 10 update, the touchpad on ye olde laptop stopped working. As soon as I uninstalled the touchpad, it worked again. Not because it was automatically rediscovered and reinstalled with new drivers or anything, no. The very act of uninstalling it and not having it installed made it work. Sometimes I'm fine with not understanding things as long as it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Trivial stuff that amuses me: after today's Windows 10 update, the touchpad on ye olde laptop stopped working. As soon as I uninstalled the touchpad, it worked again. Not because it was automatically rediscovered and reinstalled with new drivers or anything, no. The very act of uninstalling it and not having it installed made it work. Sometimes I'm fine with not understanding things as long as it works.
    So, if I uninstall the printer I'll be able to print to it? I'm tempted to try that!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'm guessing that the operating system might be installing a phantom instance of a touchpad (or a printer). This messes things up until it's gone, whereupon the default, which is good enough, takes over.

My glasses broke. Specifically, the side piece (temple) broke right at the hinge. So I made an appointment (required) to go to the optician. Then in the middle of the night last night I woke up and realized I had an old pair of glasses (same manufacturer, slightly different style) and maybe they could use the temples from those!
    So I took them in with me. Hmmm, looks like it might be too thick but let me give it a try. He managed to get the old temple onto the newer frame on the broken side, but didn't go ahead and do the not-broken side. They don't look the same. But they work. "I had to Frankenstein it", he said. Frankenglasses!
    In the "bugs me" department, he compared what had happened to the broken bit with bending the lid of a tuna can back and forth until it breaks. That was an entirely correct analogy. What bugs me is that many people think that's what metal fatigue is. It's not. It's work hardening. Fatigue happens over many more cycles and without deformation.

I mentioned in another thread that I have an external network drive that I use(d) for automated backups and sharing files between computers. The model was targeted by hackers and many were bricked. Mine wasn't hacked, but can't be connected to the internet without becoming vulnerable.

This evening, I decided to copy everything on the drive to my main computer, just to be extra sure I had copies of all the files. I unplugged my router from the internet, plugged in the drive, and copied the files to my computer. Once everything was done, I noticed that the light on the external drive was still blinking. This went on for several minutes.

It turns out that I hadn't disabled the automated backup, and it was copying the files back to the external drive.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I woke up to the following headline on the BBC News app:
    “Da Vinci bear drawing expected to fetch up to £21m”

If the BBC calls him Da Vinci, it must be okay, right?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What bugs me is that many people think that's what metal fatigue is. It's not. It's work hardening. Fatigue happens over many more cycles and without deformation.
    You mean without plastic deformation? Because I'd assume you would still need elastic deformation to end up at fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I woke up to the following headline on the BBC News app:
    “Da Vinci bear drawing expected to fetch up to £21m”

If the BBC calls him Da Vinci, it must be okay, right?
    The BBC has also been driving medical professionals mad by referring to the Covid vaccination as "the jab", and to fully vaccinated people as being "double jabbed". They operate on a curious 50:50 mix of pedantry and vernacular.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    You mean without plastic deformation? Because I'd assume you would still need elastic deformation to end up at fatigue.
    Fatigue requires reversing stress above the fatigue limit stress, it can be a few cycles or many. Steel generally 50% uts, aluminium no lower limit.. fatigue is within the elastic limit.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Yes.

I collect novelty cookbooks. Yesterday, my latest arrived--the Elder Scrolls one. Note that I don't play any of the related games, but the cookbook is by someone who did several other official ones--Firefly and Galaxy's Edge, for example--so I decided to give it a shot. It's the first one from her that I'd consider "meh." But I was flipping through it to show Graham that there are probably more recipes he'd be interested in than ones I am, and I happened to take a closer look at a few of the pictures. There are large copper coins in a few of them. Specifically, there are dollar coins (they had a name, but I don't remember it) from the Society for Creative Anachronisms. I probably have at least $6 in them scattered around the house. More, if you just look at the copper value, probably.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It amuses me that the Amazing Technology thread has devolved into discussing fantasy dragons.

It amuses me that I didn't do it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I collect novelty cookbooks. Yesterday, my latest arrived--the Elder Scrolls one. Note that I don't play any of the related games, but the cookbook is by someone who did several other official ones--Firefly and Galaxy's Edge, for example--so I decided to give it a shot. It's the first one from her that I'd consider "meh." But I was flipping through it to show Graham that there are probably more recipes he'd be interested in than ones I am, and I happened to take a closer look at a few of the pictures. There are large copper coins in a few of them. Specifically, there are dollar coins (they had a name, but I don't remember it) from the Society for Creative Anachronisms. I probably have at least $6 in them scattered around the house. More, if you just look at the copper value, probably.
    I have collection of basic cookbooks because I am horrible at cooking. There is nothing extraordinary about them except they are very, very basic. Several have sections on how to boil water, which matches my skill level.

When I am on cooking duty, my wife will often suggest some sort of modification. I reply, "I've never done this before. Let's not make it any more dangerous that it has to be."
    Solfe