Page 368 of 372 FirstFirst ... 268318358366367368369370 ... LastLast
Results 11,011 to 11,040 of 11151

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Heck, a little 8-pound kittiy has sent me to emergency!
    Do NOT try to pick them up after breaking up the cat fight.
    Yeah, I did that once, maybe 35 years ago. Still remember it quite well. I didn’t get scratched badly enough to go to emergency but it was pretty bad. Worst was carrying the nicest cat I’ve ever owned while opening a door and he saw a littermate. Apparently he thought he saw something terrifying because suddenly he went from quietly relaxing to having to get down NOW. In hindsight I really should have gone to emergency for that one. He’s dead now but I still have visible scratches on the back of my right arm. They aren’t that noticeable from a distance, but still, it was dumb not to get them better taken care of.

From that I became much more careful holding that cat.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It wasn't the scratching that got me, it was the bite! It was early in the morning; I washed it up, put on a bandage and went to work. By 10:00 AM I had pain running clear up my arm and had to go get treated with antibiotics. I still have little white scars.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Cat bites are horrible--worse than dog and human bites in terms of the risk of becoming infected. I've only ever been bitten by humans, but I'd certainly take a cat bite to my local Accident & Emergency department to get it properly irrigated with antiseptic.

Grant Hutchison

I got scratched by mine the other day getting him out of a tree. His sister gets down just fine--not that they're supposed to be outside cats in the first place--but Mouse is afraid to jump that far, and while there's a really good foothold toward the bottom, there's no correspondingly good handhold, so I couldn't climb up to get him. He finally moved onto a branch low enough for me to reach him, but he latched onto it with his claws and got me as I pulled him out. It's pretty well healed already, but for a while I had a good two-inch scratch slightly to the right of my vein!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Our two indoor cats (both females, 2-3 years old) get along reasonably well. However, on the occasions that they've seen a third cat -- through a porch screen or a house window, they start to fight each other!

I'm not sure why this should be, but I've had to break 'em up a few times. Once the visitor moves on, all is well.

On the other hand (claw), my son has at times brought his much older, male cat to visit. Our two are fascinated by this fellow, but he always growls for the kittens to keep their distance. But then, they've know him for almost four years.

Superluminal posted about a NASA teleconference happening today. I've been teleworking since the end of February so I just had to meme-ify it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele-Khan.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	25502
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The Boon Companion was out with one of her friends today. She came home and told me that they had agreed that their husbands were very alike. At first they thought that they should get the pair of us together, because we'd see eye to eye on so many things. Then, she told me, they realized that one of the things we'd agree on was that we had no interest in being brought together under such circumstances.
    "That's right," I said.
    Later in the day, the friend phoned--apparently my opposite number had said exactly the same thing in response to exactly the same story.

Grant Hutchison

I've been super busy at work lately, my head is spinning. A coworker asked what we were doing tomorrow. I asked what day it was and she said, "Wednesday". I wasn't sure if she meant today or tomorrow, at that moment.

I blurted out, "On Wednesday, we wear pink."
    Solfe

I'm not sure what day it is most of the time, but it's more due to being not-busy than to being busy. Retirement, and all that. Weekends are just the time when some of my webcomics don't update.

The old Win7 computer had issues getting going this morning. It's probably time to retire it and just use the newer one.

I discovered this week that I have a tendency to misread “phosphene” as “proserpine”.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Perhaps not as amusing, but I have repeatedly misread it as “phosgene.” (It has industrial uses, but I mostly remember it for its use in chemical warfare.) I am getting used to it, though.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I discovered this week that I have a tendency to misread “phosphene” as “proserpine”.
    That's an interesting one. Do you have a preoccupation with Swinburne?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I've been super busy at work lately, my head is spinning. A coworker asked what we were doing tomorrow. I asked what day it was and she said, "Wednesday". I wasn't sure if she meant today or tomorrow, at that moment.
    Reminds me of that exchange that allegedly involved Yogi Berra.

someone: What time is it?
    Yogi: You mean, now?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's an interesting one. Do you have a preoccupation with Swinburne?

Grant Hutchison
    No, I just read a lot of Classical Mythology as a kid and took Latin in High School.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    No, I just read a lot of Classical Mythology as a kid and took Latin in High School.
    Ah. She just seems to be mainly Proserpina these days. I associate Proserpine mainly with Swinburne's poetry:
    No growth of moor or coppice,
    No heather-flower or vine,
    But bloomless buds of poppies,
    Green grapes of Proserpine,
    Pale beds of blowing rushes
    Where no leaf blooms or blushes
    Save this whereout she crushes
    For dead men deadly wine.
    Easier to get a solemn rhyme with -ine than with -ina, I guess. You can't do much with ballerina and concertina.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Perhaps not as amusing, but I have repeatedly misread it as “phosgene.” (It has industrial uses, but I mostly remember it for its use in chemical warfare.) I am getting used to it, though.
    Phosphine is horribly toxic, too, though I don't think it has been used as a chemical weapon. I once looked after someone who'd been exposed to it while working in a grain silo, and it very nearly did for him.

Grant Hutchison

Yeesh, I read something about it being toxic, but the article didn’t specify how toxic. Another fun one. Though doesn’t it stink ferociously at low concentrations? It does make me think that if blimp or dirigible like habitats are ever placed in the Venusian atmosphere, inhabited areas will likely be positive pressure.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yeesh, I read something about it being toxic, but the article didn’t specify how toxic. Another fun one. Though doesn’t it stink ferociously at low concentrations?
    Supposedly not when pure. I don't know how pure the stuff used for fumigation is, but it would seem the stinky impurities are fairly common. The CDC say: "The level at which humans detect the odor of phosphine (odor threshold) does not provide sufficient warning of dangerous concentrations."
    I suppose if you had a habitat leak, it would depend on the concentration of phosphine whether the carbon dioxide or the phosphine got you first.

ETA: The Venus report says ~20ppb. So in the vicinity of the cloud deck the atmospheric pressure wouldn't be high enough to push the partial pressure of phosphine about the Permissible Exposure Limit of 0.3ppm, and it would be way below the Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health level that caught out my patient.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Sep-17 at 01:57 PM.

Huh, very interesting. Thanks for the information, Grant.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We've been watching the Stanley Cup games. Since the teams have been living in a bubble, they've found downtime activities to keep them occupied. One is called Sticks and Stones. Two hockey players (Sticks) team with two curlers (Stones) and have coed matches. One of the hockey players said that curling was more difficult than he thought. To which a curler replied, "If curling were easy they'd call it hockey."

The team names are puns. Last night I watched the Sweeping Beauties take on the Legion of Broom.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yeesh, I read something about it being toxic, but the article didn’t specify how toxic. Another fun one. Though doesn’t it stink ferociously at low concentrations? It does make me think that if blimp or dirigible like habitats are ever placed in the Venusian atmosphere, inhabited areas will likely be positive pressure.
    There's IIRC other toxins in the upper atmosphere of Venus that might require positive air pressure to keep out. Sulfuric acid, I think. Not sure what else.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    There's IIRC other toxins in the upper atmosphere of Venus that might require positive air pressure to keep out. Sulfuric acid, I think. Not sure what else.
    Venus's atmosphere is made up almost entirely of toxic gas. The partial pressure of carbon dioxide at the one-bar altitude would render you unconscious after a few seconds, and dead in a minute or two.

Grant Hutchison

Returning to amusement ...
    My optometrist asked me today if he could use some photographs of my slightly unusual retinas for teaching purposes. I told him that was fine, and that scans of my extremely unusual superior mesenteric artery were already being used for teaching.
    "Oh," he said. "So your plan is to become famous one organ at a time."

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Returning to amusement ...
    My optometrist asked me today if he could use some photographs of my slightly unusual retinas for teaching purposes. I told him that was fine, and that scans of my extremely unusual superior mesenteric artery were already being used for teaching.
    "Oh," he said. "So your plan is to become famous one organ at a time."

Grant Hutchison
    Can't.. make... off... color... comment....
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

We've been enjoying the Tour de France. Yesterday was the second-to-last day, a mountain time trial. I half-jokingly said to my wife "You know, if Tadej Pogacar does really well, he could have the White Jersey, the Polka Dot Jersey, AND the Yellow at the end of the day!"

He does.

We've been enjoying the Tour de France. Yesterday was the second-to-last day, a mountain time trial. I half-jokingly said to my wife "You know, if Tadej Pogacar does really well, he could have the White Jersey, the Polka Dot Jersey, AND the Yellow at the end of the day!"

He does.
    Yes, a pretty amazing performance at 21 and in his first Tour de France outing. I did feel a bit sorry for Primoz Roglic though as he had ridden really well but it all went wrong in that Time Trial. We are watching the last stage at the moment but will be going to record it and go to bed shortly as it will not be finishing until well after midnight here.

The podium ceremony with Primoz holding his little boy was quite touching. As was Pogacar handing one of his bouquets of flowers to his mom.

Sam Bennett really sealed the deal for green by winning the stage.

The podium ceremony with Primoz holding his little boy was quite touching. As was Pogacar handing one of his bouquets of flowers to his mom.

Sam Bennett really sealed the deal for green by winning the stage.
    We liked that after all the 'celebrities' etc had left the stage Richie Porte suggested that the three top GC riders all remove their masks so that there was at least one photo showing their smiles. s all the riders had been in a bubble together this seemed like a good idea.

Just clicked on a web ad for a local on-line retailer, just to see what they wrote about the product displayed. (It was a 1/72 die-cast Northrop F-5.)

In the list of features: "highly sought after by collectors".

I suppose that means: "collectors who don't know how to do on-line shopping".

(Edit: let alone that apparently one rule of collecting is that a product described as "collectible" generally isn't.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Like how the envelope labeled “IMPORTANT INFORMATION: OPEN IMMEDIATELY” is always junk advertising. The actual important stuff comes in understated envelopes.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser